HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Prucha article...with a little twist...(Ovechkin) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=74769)

gkrangers 04-29-2004 05:59 PM

Prucha article...with a little twist...(Ovechkin)

http://www.leaderboard.com/rodent.htm

Very, very interesting.

Quote:

Talk state side of the Atlantic is that Capital boss George McPhee is so impressed with Petr that the name "Ovechkin" is on the table in the form of a swap of first round picks plus Prucha.
I think the Rodent is off his rocker...but its not like him to post something this off the wall without some legitimacy to it.

Fletch 04-29-2004 06:07 PM

If he's that good...

keep Prucha and the #6 overall pick and hope to get two top six guys instead of one superstar. Imagine that, the Rangers being a threat on more than one line. Now that's quite novel.

in the hall 04-29-2004 06:34 PM

yes i agree "rodent" is off his rocker, there is no way that is legit and if it was i don't think a mouse that looks like a squirrel would be the first and only to break news of it

Rodent 04-29-2004 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkrangers
http://www.leaderboard.com/rodent.htm

Very, very interesting.

I think the Rodent is off his rocker...but its not like him to post something this off the wall without some legitimacy to it.

Today's Prucha column was very much tongue in cheek. While I did use the word "speculation" in connection with GMGM and Ovechkin. I can say with confidence that Petr has drawn significant interest this week and because of that, rumors are rampant (and are reaching me) from sources (plural) concerning multiple teams' interest in Prucha. Ovechkin's name was mentioned.

I have no moles in the Cap front office. This could simply be a case of someone in Prague seeing a Washington scout sitting next to Petr's agent. But Prucha's name was mentioned in connection with Ovechkin as part of a larger deal. This, by someone who mentions (in the same breath) that Ovechkin never passes off and gets pouty when things don't go his way and so would like for Sather to ignore the Ovechkin opportunity, particularly if Prucha is part of the price.

If Prucha is indeed signed by Slats in two weeks, then Petr becomes valuable compared to Ovechkin who is not signed and for whom a contract may be problematic, given the latest posturing by the Russian Ice Hockey Federation. It would not surprise me if McPhee is indeed conducting an auction to see what he can get.

Rodent 04-29-2004 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
yes i agree "rodent" is off his rocker, there is no way that is legit and if it was i don't think a mouse that looks like a squirrel would be the first and only to break news of it

Kisses to you, too.

Look. Big name correspondents cannot publish some of the stuff they get because (particularly now) it could get certain organizations in trouble vs. IIHF rules. But make no mistake. Illegal wheeling and dealing is taking place. I am getting more descriptive information than I am printing (again, because it would cause trouble and alienate my sources from me). But I have no formal linkages to MSG to lose should I spill the beans. They cannot phone my editor. They cannot revoke my press credentials, 'cause I've got none to be revoked.

So certain folks see me as an outlet for what they hear/see and they send me stuff unsolicited. I filter out a lot. But I've learned which sources have the most reliable stuff. "Reliable" doesn't mean that 100% of the tips will come to fruition. Many of the tips are of "feelers" or exploratory discussions which are very real. But not every exploratory chat turns into a deal. Doesn't mean the exploratory didn't take place.

But then, you know better than I, as you seem so confident of. So everyone should listen to you not to me.

Look. Nobody said a deal of Ovechkin was done. But bet your bottom dollar that McPhee is exploring all options before the June draft. Alex in a Cap uniform is not assured. And if he's feeling out Sather for what he could get in return for Ovechkin, word just might have reached me that GMGM wants Prucha's name among the players he'd receive in return.

Understand that this is just McPhee's connection with Sather. Count on George having similar discussions with as many rival G/Ms as he can so that he's armed to make the best keep/trade decision possible at the Entry Draft. You will be hearing Ovechkin for xxxxxx rumors where xxxxxx are not Ranger properties. Those rumors are probably happening because of the exploratories involving Washington's vistory in the Draft Lottery. For McPhee NOT to be entertaining such discussions would be negligence on his part.

Now tell me again where I am off my rocker.

Rodent 04-29-2004 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
keep Prucha and the #6 overall pick and hope to get two top six guys instead of one superstar. Imagine that, the Rangers being a threat on more than one line. Now that's quite novel.

I agree wholeheartedly, particularly after some of the stuff I'm hearing about Ovechkin.

Make no mistake. Alex is supremely talented.

But he's very raw and probably not ready for the confined rink of the NHL at this time. It takes some getting used to. Yet his agent does not want to see him spend any time in the minors.

There's also an issue with work ethic. And that's no secret.

There's also the question of how easy it will be to sign him given the threat by the RIHF to pull out of the bilateral with the NHL (which amounts to a ransom demand).

Ovechkin is probably two years behind Prucha in terms of being ready for the NHL. Alex is certainly not as polished as Petr at this point.

Will Ovechkin eventually become "The Next One"? Perhaps. But that's not guaranteed.

I prefer to stick with Prucha and a sixth overall (as you advocate) and gamble on two warm bodies rather than one if one of the two keepers is Petr Prucha.

Fedz 04-29-2004 07:19 PM

Whos Prucha?

Potted Plant 04-29-2004 08:15 PM

I'm starting to think that trading up just isn't worth it. If there are that many questions about Ovechkin, it doesn't sound like we should give up MULTIPLE valuable assets to get him.

gkrangers 04-29-2004 08:23 PM

Its cool Rodent.

I'm very appreciative of what you bring to us almost daily. I've followd the Prucha and Marek updates since you started with them. Has me excited about both..

charliemurphy 04-29-2004 11:09 PM

Very excited about Prucha. :handclap:
He definitely doesn't have the size yet, but he could definitely turn into a legitimate top-2 line, power play sniper. He is definitely a dark horse in the Ranger system. Sather should sign him and get some looks at him in camp, as well as Immonen.
No trading up from #6. Select Ladd.:teach:

RangerBlues 04-29-2004 11:34 PM

He's listed at 5'11 172
add 10lbs and hes bigger than Bure
30lbs and hes the same as kasper.
He needs that or he wont last a season without getting hurt

charliemurphy 04-30-2004 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBlues
He's listed at 5'11 172
add 10lbs and hes bigger than Bure
30lbs and hes the same as kasper.
He needs that or he wont last a season without getting hurt

Is he that light?
Damn. :thumbd:
He does need to add some weight.
He has great speed. I'm wondering if he adds too much weight that it could compromise his game. Although, he does have some developing to do. Nevertheless, the more I get to know of Prucha the more I like him.

NYR2 04-30-2004 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
I'm starting to think that trading up just isn't worth it.

I was for it, but not really so much anymore. Stick with where we are and pick the best player available.

charliemurphy 04-30-2004 01:01 AM

Agree. Stay at #6.
IMO...I can see Sather selecting Schremp if he is there. But if Olesz is still on the board, Sather will select him over Schremp. I think we should select Ladd at #6 and try and trade up with our 2nd 1st rounder. Sather needs to score at this draft and I don't think he is looking for a top defenseman. Unless it's someone like Barker. I don't know why but it seems like Ladd is an unpopular selection around here at #6. I think Ladd can and will be at #6. Athough I've never seen Ladd play, but from what I've read he definitely appears to be a player that could certainly develop into a legitimate top 2-line LW. Something the Rangers are seriously lacking.

BDubinskyNYR17* 04-30-2004 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliemurphy
Agree. Stay at #6.
IMO...I can see Sather selecting Schremp if he is there. But if Olesz is still on the board, Sather will select him over Schremp. I think we should select Ladd at #6 and try and trade up with our 2nd 1st rounder. Sather needs to score at this draft and I don't think he is looking for a top defenseman. Unless it's someone like Barker. I don't know why but it seems like Ladd is an unpopular selection around here at #6. I think Ladd can and will be at #6. Athough I've never seen Ladd play, but from what I've read he definitely appears to be a player that could certainly develop into a legitimate top 2-line LW. Something the Rangers are seriously lacking.

From what I read about Ladd, from my point of view. I feel he can be an Erik Cole type player. Is this the most accurate compareability to him??

charliemurphy 04-30-2004 02:09 AM

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=274005
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Rodent 04-30-2004 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkrangers
Its cool Rodent.

I'm very appreciative of what you bring to us almost daily. I've followd the Prucha and Marek updates since you started with them. Has me excited about both..

Thank you muchly. But the Marek issue is another "iffy" situation.

From what I hear, Marek is actually more skilled than Prucha. But Marek is not as developed (at this point in time) as is Petr and is perhaps 1-2 years away from competing for a job in MSG.

Upside: Marek at age 25 may ultimately prove to contribute more than Prucha at age 25. Marek is probably more capable of surviving a full NHL season of bumps and bruises than Prucha, whose tenacity is certainly there - but whose frame may not stand the pounding.

Downside: Question of maturity with Marek and whether he can make the transition to North America. Despite being more gifted than Prucha, Marek's chances of succeeding in the NHL may not be as good as Prucha.

These things are difficult enough to predict in North America (eg: Brendl as a Calgary Hitman appeared to be 'can't miss'). They are even more difficult to prognositcate overseas where cultural differences and rink size can mislead even the best of scouts.

Rodent 04-30-2004 02:46 AM

Quote:

Very excited about Prucha. :handclap:
He definitely doesn't have the size yet, but he could definitely turn into a legitimate top-2 line, power play sniper.

Frankly, the value I see in Prucha is on the PPK.

For the past four seasons, the Rangers have played a passive box when a man down. Enemy point men have not been pressured at all, a la Tampa Bay or Ottawa or even Montreal. This has got to end. I want to see speedy, pesty harrassment when the puck reaches the blue line to pressure for turnovers and (at minimum) prevent Devil-style timing plays where the slap shot arrives at net just when the two wingers converge to screen Dunham.

I envision Prucha's role to be one of these pesty, nimble mosquitoes on the PPK. Though he's not as fast as Bure was, Prucha has sufficient speed to provide a legitimate short-handed goal threat which keeps the enemy D from pinching... keeps them "honest" so to speak.

Rodent 04-30-2004 03:17 AM

Quote:

Sather needs to score at this draft and I don't think he is looking for a top defenseman.

I agree. But I think my reason is different than yours. I believe Slats will take someone with his initial first-round pick who is closest to being NHL-ready. Perhpas that is what you menat by "score".

If you subscribe to the maxim that forwards develop at the NHL level more quickly than D-men, then... unless at #6 a defenseman really stands head and shoulders above the available forwards, I would guess that Slats would take a forward and elect to populate his rearguard with veterans. He's already got Pock and Tyutin plus more young D in the system. You can provide on-the-job training to twice as many young forwards at any given time as you can defensemen, if you're going to remain competitive.

Sather may well intend a huge overhaul. But Holik's continued presence says to me that Sather intends to mix in a decent number of established veterans. You don't waste the investment in Jagr and Holik if you intend to run a Romper Room next season. Given that reasoning, it's easy to see that

1) He will be addressing the goalie situation because you don't waste investment up front on shaky netminding.

2) If he must retrofit with established veterans, he'll do it on defense and at pivot. Any kids which make the team out of training camp will be on wing or in no more than two of the first six blueliners. Tyutin will certainly be one of those two. But Pock will have to compete for his job.

Potted Plant 04-30-2004 06:45 AM

Quote:

Agree. Stay at #6.

I'm down on Schremp, but I would love to get Ladd. I think that chances are good either Ladd or Olesz will be available at #6. My fear is that they won't. I think our top 5 are Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, and Ladd, but I have really only the vaguest idea of who is or should be our #6. I'm not sold on Schremp. Tukonen, Radulov, and Stafford seem like risks. Thelen and O'Neill seem like they're not exactly what we're looking for so early.

I would consider a tradeup, but I wouldn't pay very much for it, and I would focus on trading up to #3, #4, or #5, not #2 or #1, where the price will be very high. I just don't think moving up in the draft is worth as much as other people think it's worth.

Potted Plant 04-30-2004 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodent
I agree. But I think my reason is different than yours. I believe Slats will take someone with his initial first-round pick who is closest to being NHL-ready. Perhpas that is what you menat by "score".

I think that's a huge mistake. It's the thinking that ruined Manny Malhotra and got us into drafting Brendl. Very few if any 18 year olds show that they're actually ready to be in the NHL. It's a struggle and you need to guard against actually hurting a player's development. It also fosters the "savior" attitude that has infected this team ever since 1994. It's gotten us to trade away our souls to draft Brendl. It's gotten us to sign Fleury, trade for Bure, force Malhotra into the lineup at 18, trade for Lindros, and others in a seemingly endless stream trying to get that guy who will make the difference. STOP DOING IT THAT WAY!!

We're at a point where we do not need new prospects to come in and fill out the roster. We don't need to play games. Develop players in the way that results in the best player.

skunk 04-30-2004 07:22 AM

I've been going off on Prucha for over a year since I e-mailed the guy who wrote about him on HF and was raving about him.

It's strange but for all the money we spent we have had very, very, very, poor skilled offensive players on the PP. I watch Kovalev on the PP and realize that he is a poor PP player. He is more a guy that needs 3 excellent PP players to play with if he will do anything. Nedved is one of the worst PP players I have ever seen. Messier was great but no longer makes the PP rock. Hlavac is horrible. Rucinsky stunk on the PP.

Sometimes you need those smaller, highly creative players like Prucha and Dawes to get your PP to an elite level. Look at Bure. Everytime the Rangers had a PP when he was in the lineup I thought they would score. Now I think they will never score on the PP.

The great thing about moron Sather rebuilding is he finally can get these skilled Euro's over here playing for the Rangers. If you listen to some of the comments from guys excited to play here now you can clearly here that they wanted nothing to do with this organization before the house cleaning. It took a while but idiot Sather might have cleaned house in the nick of time. :banana:

Fletch 04-30-2004 07:35 AM

So Prucha's roughly the size of...

Datsyuk, Sakic (in time) and Kariya and may grow to be as big as Kapanen, Marchant, Tucker, Madden and Recchi.

charliemurphy 04-30-2004 10:34 AM

JOrtmeyer41

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
From what I read about Ladd, from my point of view. I feel he can be an Erik Cole type player. Is this the most accurate compareability to him??

Couple of articles on Ladd on my last post.
Scroll back on this thread for links.
The "young" Adam Graves comparison caught my eye.
Laddy meet Gravey.

Bluenote13 04-30-2004 11:09 AM

Prucha's size - he was listed at 5'10 161 when drafted. This year he's at 5'10 178. I think he'll get to 185 at least.

In comparison Josef Balej was drafted at 5'11 170 in 2000, now he's at 6'1, 195.