HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Goalie Question (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=747898)

FrozenKing18 03-08-2010 06:25 PM

Goalie Question

So i became a hockey fan just a year ago and i got interested on being a goalie.

My question is the Glove. never really understood it. My stepdad said if your right handed you wear your glove on the left. why?

i feel more comfortable catching with my right. is it because of the stick?

BaconStrips 03-08-2010 07:07 PM

Which way do you shoot?

Most right hand dominant people catch with their left because they throw with their right.

Harv 03-08-2010 07:11 PM

Think if you were playing baseball. What hand would you put your glove on.

Never go by which way you shoot. Just because you shoot right handed doesn't mean your glove should be your right hand. If it just works out that way then hey, you lucked out.

I catch a baseball with my left hand, I catch a hockey puck with my left hand, but I shoot right handed. So whats the mean? I learned to shoot lefty. I've been playing goal for 14 years and I can now stand at the blueline and rip pucks off the crossbar almost every time. I was terrible at it when I was little, but year by year my shot got better. It's probably to to the point now where it's not going to get any better. Well, it could if someone else was paying for my stick.

cmdrdredd 03-08-2010 07:11 PM

This is an interesting question to me as well.

I'm thinking stick. Like baseball players have to throw a ball, goalies have to maneuver a stick. Anyone a goalie here?

Harv 03-08-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 24382631)

I'm thinking stick. Like baseball players have to throw a ball, goalies have to maneuver a stick. Anyone a goalie here?

You always go by which way you catch.

gluvhand 03-08-2010 07:33 PM

I've always thrown with my right hand and caught with my left. When I started playing goal it was just natural to continue catching with my left. I do see the other side of the arguement though. I naturally shoot from the right and still find it a bit awkward to shoot from what really amounts to the left side. I've also met more than a few other goalies that caught with their left hands for years and at some point decided to go the other way.

Rickety Cricket 03-08-2010 07:35 PM

I've always gone with the baseball glove theory. Example: I'm left handed and I catch with my right hand.

HowToHockey 03-08-2010 07:40 PM

If someone threw a ball at your face as fast as they could, what hand would you use to try and stop it? Use that hand for your glove hand, it will be your fastest, and the one that has the best hand eye coordination, that is the hand you want to catch pucks with.

Brodeur 03-08-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme1995 (Post 24381860)
So i became a hockey fan just a year ago and i got interested on being a goalie.

My question is the Glove. never really understood it. My stepdad said if your right handed you wear your glove on the left. why?

As a goalie, you only have one hand on your stick so you tend to want it on your dominant hand. I can't even imagine how weak/uncoordinated my poke check would be if I tried to do it with my left hand. And in terms of handling the puck, you're mostly doing it with your blocker hand.

Most folks are used to the baseball style where you catch with your non-throwing hand anyways.

Realistically, if you start a certain way, you can easily get used to it with enough practice. If you catch right, you'll also get a lot more deals on equipment!

NicolasH 03-10-2010 04:03 AM

Hi, I've played all positions in hockey before being a goalie last september.

I write with my left hand and I was right handed as a player. I have my catcher in the right hand, it seemed me natural to keep beeing right handed. Plus, it was more natural for me to catch a puck with the right hand and i take my stick in the left hand, which is the hand i'm used to hold a tennis racket.

It's strange that right handed players goes left handed as a goalie, didn't think it could be possible. :amazed:

FinnGoalie 03-10-2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 24382631)

Yep, for many years...

So, you always go with the hand which is the natural choice for catching. Superior stickhandling doesn't help much if your hand-eye coordination doesn't work for glove/blocker, and by that I mean that you have to optimize the catching glove first.

I sucked in shooting the puck at first as I was trying to shoot from the wrong side (as I skater, I would be "righty", but as a goalie my glove was in the left hand). After some time and practice (years), my stickhandling improved to the level of average "lefty" goalies. Of course my ceiling would be way lower from Brodeur-Turco-DiPi-stickhandling, but at least I could catch the puck (once in awhile:sarcasm:)

And yes, baseball "handiness" would be a good indicator for this. In Finland we have a very similar game to baseball which we play when we're young (in case some people didn't know this about Finnish goalies).

SJGoalie32 03-10-2010 01:59 PM

Well, for me, I grew up playing baseball, threw with my right, catch with my left. I got so used to my glove hand being on the left that I kept it there when I started playing goalie....as most people do.

Having your stronger hand free to pick up and throw a baseball a long distance is very important for baseball. But for hockey goaltending? Controlling the blocker/stick doesn't require quite as much strength, power, control, and digital manipulation as throwing a ball does.

If you've played baseball/softball or any type of sport that requires an oversized catching mitt on one hand before, I'd advise you to stick with it and catch with the hand that's used to having a glove on it. However, if you've never played one of those sports and catching feels more natural to you with the right AND you still have plenty of control over your stick with your left.....go ahead and make the switch.

I'd advise you to go to a sporting goods store that has both left & right glove/blockers and try them both on. Get someone to throw a tennis ball at you and work on trying to catch it & smother it with your glove, knock it down with your blocker, and sweep it away with your stick. Try both hands and see which feels the most natural to you, then go with that.

Giroux tha Damaja 03-10-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme1995 (Post 24381860)

It's all personal preference. Go ahead and catch with your right. You'll get lots of deals on overstocked stuff.

OprtnShtdwn 03-10-2010 07:01 PM

If you actually played baseball, it shouldn't be an issue. If someone hits a line drive at you, your going to put the hand that is inside the glove up immediately, it's the same for hockey.

I couldn't imagine trying to make a glove save with my right hand, nor could I imagine trying to use my left hand to poke check or even put the stick down in the right position on the ice.

Unless you throw left handed, put the glove on the normal way. Your eyes and your hand has been already trained to catch with that hand. Therefore, because you want the action to be "normal", stick with the baseball theory.

Hopefully your a left handed shot though as it'll make puck handling easier. I know that's one of the things I enjoy while playing goalie. I love when someone dumps the puck in on me, and i can just play it, and fire it right back up to a forward to set up a rush.

PeterSidorkiewicz 03-10-2010 07:18 PM

Im a goalie, and left handed. I play full right in net (meaning I catch with my right hand). Its pretty much the standard you catch with the opposite of your dominant hand. You want your dominant hand being the one holding the stick.

In the end though, its really up to you on what you feel comfortable with, im just telling you what the standard is.