HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Inserting blade in two-piece (heating up) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=748935)

Splitbtw 03-11-2010 01:24 AM

Inserting blade in two-piece (heating up)

I've learned the hard way not to put direct flame heat to a shaft when removing a blade. My question is, is it alright to use a stove top flame to heat the glue up on a composite blade (with space between the flame and the blade top)?

backhander 03-11-2010 01:27 AM

not a good idea....was okay when we used aluminum sticks and wood blades. composites r expensive so i would invest in a heat gun. u can get them cheap online or at a local store.

Danglous 03-11-2010 08:04 AM

Steal a hairdryer from your mom/sister/girlfriend/daughter etc. It takes a little longer but its safe and gets the job done.

Johan Santana 03-11-2010 08:09 AM

do not expose sticks to a direct flame!!!!! go to a local shop and have them do it for you or try the hairdryer trick but that will take a while because it doesn't get that hot

jcorfive 03-11-2010 08:53 AM

I have an Easton Ultra-Lite and use an electric range top all the time to change blades/replace plugs.

I like to set it just below high and "cook" each side for a few seconds and rotate. Repeat until I can pull the blade out. Haven't had any problems at all.

Jarick 03-11-2010 09:03 AM

In theory it's fine, but I'd rather use a hair dryer or heat gun. It should be very warm to the touch but shouldn't ever get to the point where you burn yourself on the shaft...that's where you overheat and can damage it.

budster 03-11-2010 09:15 AM

I don't understand why someone would spend over $100 for a nice comp shaft, a $20 blade, and then not be willing to buy a $20 heat gun. Just do it the right way!

blueberrydanish 03-11-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budster (Post 24432893)
I don't understand why someone would spend over $100 for a nice comp shaft, a $20 blade, and then not be willing to buy a $20 heat gun. Just do it the right way!

^^ Thats what I did. Cheap and easy to use.

rinkrat22 03-11-2010 10:24 AM

exactly, why would you not spend the $20-30 on a heat gun. they have them at any hardware store. Look in the paint section. the one I have was 35 and has numerous settings.

meanolthing 03-11-2010 10:39 AM

I used to put a tea kettle on, and let it heat up to almost boiling, the slowly rotate the shaft near the spout where the steam was spewing out. The shaft got damp, but it was hot enough to pull the old blade out and finagle the new one in. And then I discovered one piece sticks :-P.

DogFoodEnforcer 03-11-2010 11:41 AM

my 30 year old heatgun just gave up, so i had to use the stove the other day for putting together a two piece. all i did was hold the stick and blade ~8-12" above the flame, and continually rotated it. it takes longer, but i feel it's safer than having the stick even closer.lol.

i dont trust my LHS. when i got them to put a blade in for me they ended up bubbling the paint/graphics on the base of my RBK. that pissed me off. it isnt that hard to NOT bubble the paint unless you are useless.

SkittlyRit 03-11-2010 12:01 PM

Yeah, I've done it a number of times with my electric range, and I've never had a problem.

Frankie Spankie 03-11-2010 02:36 PM

I always put it over a gas stove and never had a problem. I replaced 3 blades on my two piece shaft until the shaft split right in the middle. I also use the stove on my one piece composites to put a wooden handle on it to make it bigger. Not sure what the big deal is.

StrykerB 03-14-2010 11:25 PM

Regardless if you use a heat gun, blow torch, or stove top, a great tip is to wrap some white cloth tape around the area you are heating first.

This helps for two reasons:
1. It's easier to remove any extra glue after you peel the tape off.

2. The tape keeps the paint on the shaft from discolouring or bubbling up.