HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Leighton Extension in works (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=749399)

L-train* 03-12-2010 09:31 AM

Leighton Extension in works

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...0166267553.txt

Quote:

PHILADELPHIA – There’s been a lot of speculation about the Flyers’ future in goal beyond this season. An answer may be forthcoming sooner rather than later.

Michael Leighton’s agent, Mike Liut, has been in the Philadelphia area for several days and likely will talk to general manager Paul Holmgren about a contract extension for his client this week, a Flyers source confirmed to the Daily Times.

While there is no guarantee that anything will be signed this week, it’s a good bet ideas will be exchanged.

According to the source, the Flyers would like to have Leighton back – possibly on a two-year deal – if the salary figure is reasonable.

Leighton makes $600,000 this season, but the Flyers are only on the hook for $300,000 after claiming him off of re-entry waivers from the Carolina Hurricanes. Carolina is paying him the other half of his salary.

Leighton, 28, has been tremendous for the Flyers this season, and entered play Thursday with a record of 17-5-2 with a 2.46 GAA.
:facepalm:

RIPRichardsCarter 03-12-2010 09:33 AM

http://listicles.thelmagazine.com/wp...e_facepalm.jpg

MCAKES 03-12-2010 09:33 AM

i mean as a backup... okay why not

JSTAFF 03-12-2010 09:36 AM

Dont mind him as our backup at all. The real issue is who the other goalie will be.

Lomark 03-12-2010 09:36 AM

For a reasonable amount and as a backup? Fine, he has earned it.

L-train* 03-12-2010 09:38 AM

Yeah, but knowing Holmgren, he'll need to "take care of him" with a 3 year deal, 1.5-2m per, and a NTC/NMC... as our starter.

FlyHigh 03-12-2010 09:38 AM

They're going to waive Boucher then?

Jester 03-12-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh (Post 24454420)
They're going to waive Boucher then?

Yep, here's where the issue is...we already have a backup signed, Leighton should not be any kind of priority.

CharlieGirl 03-12-2010 09:44 AM

Is Holmgren seriously afraid someone is going to try to poach Leighton? He was a waiver wire pickup. There aren't going to be teams lined up waiting for him to hit the open market.

FlyHigh 03-12-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 24454441)
Yep, here's where the issue is...we already have a backup signed, Leighton should not be any kind of priority.

Well, I don't really think Boucher is an NHL backup on our team, but I still have my doubts about Leighton too who seems to be good for 1-2 soft goals per game.

JCameron418 03-12-2010 09:48 AM

I wouldn't mind him as our backup

Opus 03-12-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Agreed, which is why it should be a two-way deal.

Jester 03-12-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh (Post 24454505)
Well, I don't really think Boucher is an NHL backup on our team, but I still have my doubts about Leighton too who seems to be good for 1-2 soft goals per game.

The problem here is bigger than whether you think Boucher is a good backup option for us (I think he's fine). We've been right up against the 50 contract line recently, so if you go and sign Leighton you're adding one more contract (even if you waive Boucher...he'll be one of your 50 if no one bothers to pick him up).

Why is Holmgren terrified of playing any of these situations with a bit of flexibility? Unless you think Leighton is going to be your starter next year--[barf]--there's no good reason to be worrying about re-signing him right now. Just let it sit...see what plays out after the season at goalie...if Leighton does sign elsewhere, I think we'll be alright.

Jester 03-12-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opus (Post 24454580)
Agreed, which is why it should be a two-way deal.

Two-way deal is irrelevant to everyone but Leighton and the Flyers bottom line...so that really doesn't solve the fundamental issue here.

GKJ 03-12-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Well, Jester, I think we've all learned by now how much of a priority it is for Holmgren to have his goaltenders signed before letting them having a chance to actually talk with other teams and negotiate with them as well. We wouldn't want it to be July 2 and not have a goalie, now would we? :sarcasm:

Jester 03-12-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 24454625)
Well, Jester, I think we've all learned by now how much of a priority it is for Holmgren to have his goaltenders signed before letting them having a chance to actually talk with other teams and negotiate with them as well. We wouldn't want it to be July 2 and not have a goalie, now would we? :sarcasm:

Well, that's what is setting off alarm bells...this makes me think Holmgren is going to saddle us with Leighton as the starter next season.

bennysflyers16 03-12-2010 10:02 AM

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

We have a ****ing back up signed for next year :rant::rant::rant::rant:

Even if we waive Boosh and Leighton is going to be next years back up, why in the **** do you resign him now , :help: There are 50 Leightons out there to be signed.
Last year if **** head did not panic and sign Boosh and Emery so early , we could of had Craig Anderson at less than 2 million and here he goes ****ing **** up again.

DenverBoone 03-12-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 24454655)
Well, that's what is setting off alarm bells...this makes me think Holmgren is going to saddle us with Leighton as the starter next season.

Please. god. no.

JLHockeyKnight 03-12-2010 10:05 AM

This is absolutely hilarious because it's going to piss off so many people on this board, myself included.

CS 03-12-2010 10:11 AM

I hate this morning...

Lomark 03-12-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 24454655)

Dear god please no.

Kaktus* 03-12-2010 10:17 AM

I guess teams are lined up to sign him.. :laugh: :laugh:

Good old Homer he does everything in advance. Why not wait? Oh, that would make too much sense. Do not forget to give him NMC and NTC. Thatís standard.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 03-12-2010 10:18 AM

I don't hate Leighton but is this really necessary at this point?

GKJ 03-12-2010 10:19 AM

We're wingin' it man! Would you expect anything different with the goaltending?

FlyHigh 03-12-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 24454581)
The problem here is bigger than whether you think Boucher is a good backup option for us (I think he's fine). We've been right up against the 50 contract line recently, so if you go and sign Leighton you're adding one more contract (even if you waive Boucher...he'll be one of your 50 if no one bothers to pick him up).

Why is Holmgren terrified of playing any of these situations with a bit of flexibility? Unless you think Leighton is going to be your starter next year--[barf]--there's no good reason to be worrying about re-signing him right now. Just let it sit...see what plays out after the season at goalie...if Leighton does sign elsewhere, I think we'll be alright.

****, that's actually a really good point.