HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Corey Locke (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=749836)

BRONX_MADNESS* 03-13-2010 01:17 PM

Corey Locke

Why is this guy never brought up in the case of an injury, he's tearing up the AHL and may be more adaptable to the show than paranteau. he's got more offensive upside than most of the bottom 6, and might be able to fill in the top 6 if there's an injury. thoughts?

UAGoalieGuy 03-13-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS (Post 24474104)
Why is this guy never brought up in the case of an injury, he's tearing up the AHL and may be more adaptable to the show than paranteau. he's got more offensive upside than most of the bottom 6, and might be able to fill in the top 6 if there's an injury. thoughts?

Mostly because he is just like players such as Paranteau, Krog, etc that put up excellent numbers in the AHL but their skills do not translate to the NHL level. He's been putting up great numbers the last 5 years in the AHL, but he hasn't been able to make the next jump. More then likely it's because of his height (5'9). I haven't seen him play that much but it could be a good guess.

Dagoon44 03-13-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy (Post 24474258)
Mostly because he is just like players such as Paranteau, Krog, etc that put up excellent numbers in the AHL but their skills do not translate to the NHL level. He's been putting up great numbers the last 5 years in the AHL, but he hasn't been able to make the next jump. More then likely it's because of his height (5'9). I haven't seen him play that much but it could be a good guess.

Dead on and he is really one dementional

AdamGravesNight 03-13-2010 01:54 PM

Even if he is one dimensional, it's the dimension the Rangers lack. I always felt he was comparable to Nigel Dawes. I think the Rangers should at least give him a shot, if he scores some goals, he could easily be tradeable.

UAGoalieGuy 03-13-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight (Post 24474659)
Even if he is one dimensional, it's the dimension the Rangers lack. I always felt he was comparable to Nigel Dawes. I think the Rangers should at least give him a shot, if he scores some goals, he could easily be tradeable.

Rangers have lacked defense as well. He is also an RFA after this season.

Jarkko Immonen 03-13-2010 02:02 PM

Even though I'd guess that Locke wouldn't have anything to show after a call up, I still say he deserves one, much like PA always have. But yeah with PA on his line Locke is a much better player. Without he's just too small to be the main offensive threat.

haveandare 03-13-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy (Post 24474258)

Has he played enough in the NHL to say for sure that his skills don't translate though? I haven't been following the team die hard for too many years, but I don't remember him playing much if at all. Sure, you can look on paper and say these skills aren't going to translate, but we have a lot of guys who don't produce anything...can't hurt to bring the guy up and find out for sure, right? Also, with the height, there are short players who are better than 98% of this roster (Kane, St. Louis) so I don't know that he's automatically disqualified or anything.

Honestly, I don't follow the Pack much at all, so I'm not too well informed on this front, but it seems like this guy should get a chance to prove that his skill set does or doesn't work in the big league. If we had some scoring throughout the lineup, I could see holding off, but we could use some goals and we have nothing to lose.

Levitate 03-13-2010 02:34 PM

he's a small, slow, one dimensional player who gets dominated along the boards at the AHL level

eco's bones 03-13-2010 03:51 PM

Of the current Hartford forwards only Byers, Weise and Grachev have any chance of making the NHL for real. Parenteau and Locke may put up a lot of points but they're not dynamic enough offensively nor are they rounded enough to play on the bottom lines. It's pretty much top 6 or nothing and they are not good enough for that.

hpNYR 03-13-2010 03:54 PM

Grachev>Byers>Weise

eco's bones 03-13-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpNYR (Post 24476554)
Grachev>Byers>Weise

They all have some potential though only Grachev has the potential to be a top 6 NHL forward. Hartford is really not that strong. Nothing necessarily wrong with what Byers or Weise are doing. You want some size and grittiness in your bottom 6 and those two should provide some of that--if they make it.

NYR Sting 03-13-2010 05:32 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with calling Locke up seeing as how this team is ****ed anyway, but his skating is awful. He can't create chances at the NHL level because he is neither fast enough, strong enough, or big enough to conquer enough time and space for his excellent offensive abilities to shine.

squishy 03-14-2010 12:18 AM

Locke makes Parenteau look like a well-rounded, complete player. He's small, one-dimensional an average skater, and can't play in traffic. More than half of his points come on the power play, because he needs the extra time and space. He hasn't gotten a chance with the Rangers because there is nothing in his game to suggest he'll be able to handle the pace of the NHL game.

hpNYR 03-14-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishy (Post 24486827)
Locke makes Parenteau look like a well-rounded, complete player. He's small, one-dimensional an average skater, and can't play in traffic. More than half of his points come on the power play, because he needs the extra time and space. He hasn't gotten a chance with the Rangers because there is nothing in his game to suggest he'll be able to handle the pace of the NHL game.

Time to call up Ken Gernander.

BlueShirts702 03-14-2010 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishy (Post 24486827)

This is what I get from watching Locke as well. Very good analysis Squishy.

Tony D63 03-14-2010 08:56 AM

He's that player that would domintate in the AHL, then he gets called up and then he wont be able to handle the NHL. Plus hes small.

TheHotRock 03-14-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting36e (Post 24477782)
I don't think there is anything wrong with calling Locke up seeing as how this team is ****ed anyway, but his skating is awful. He can't create chances at the NHL level because he is neither fast enough, strong enough, or big enough to conquer enough time and space for his excellent offensive abilities to shine.

there is a lot wrong with calling him up now.

if we continue to slide, grachev must be called up. a guy like that needs to get at least a taste of nhl hockey before he goes into the summer.

NYR Sting 03-14-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHotRock (Post 24488699)
there is a lot wrong with calling him up now.

if we continue to slide, grachev must be called up. a guy like that needs to get at least a taste of nhl hockey before he goes into the summer.

Why?

I wouldn't want to subject him to the atmosphere of this team. This team stinks.