HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Larry Brooks: Torts put the kibosh of Rangers players/parents trip (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=750098)

RangerBoy 03-14-2010 06:30 AM

Torts put the kibosh of Rangers players/parents trip

Quote:

In each of the previous two seasons, the Rangers took one road trip on which players were accompanied by their fathers. One of the highlights of last season, in fact, was when the fathers chanted, "Let's Go Rangers!" in the corridor outside the locker room in Chicago on Jan. 16 during then-coach Tom Renney's postgame press conference after their kids' team defeated the Blackhawks in overtime.

But this year, though we're told that preliminary planning had taken place for a trip including the players' mothers, there was no such event. Repeated requests for an official explanation went unanswered, but several sources told Slap Shots that current head coach John Tortorella had put the kibosh on the event.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz0i9JoHdKb

John is going to ban beer and electronic devices on planes next:sarcasm:

Carlos Ranger 03-14-2010 07:15 AM

It just wouldn't be the same without Lloyd Dawes and Doug Orr, that's why.

UAGoalieGuy 03-14-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 24488269)
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz0i9JoHdKb

John is going to ban beer and electronic devices on planes next:sarcasm:

See now that is just not right. Most of these players want to say thanks to their parents for all that they have done for them over the coarse of their younger lives, like taking them to practice at 5am, driving them all over the country, paying obscene amounts of money for equipment and hockey dues, etc. Not to mention they may not be able to see them that much over the coarse of a season as well.

How distracting could it really be? Many NHL teams do it. What do you think that the fathers are going to gang up on you, Torts, for the way you treat your players? I'm usually a Torts supporter, but this is a bit crazy.

alkurtz 03-14-2010 07:38 AM

The best teams and workplaces are where the players and workers are willing to go that extra mile for their boss.

Not the case here.

Coaching and management changes in all sports go in cycles. If you have a "player's coach" who is even-keeled and respectful of his players, you almost always replace him with an emotional coach ready to "crack the whip." When that coach has run his course, you follow up with a player's coach. And so on, and so on.

Renney was replaced by Torts so the next coach will be more like Renney. Who will it be when the time comes (figure middle to end of next year when we are in the same boat as this year)?

One thing for sure: the players have not bought into Tort's message or are willing to go that proverbial extra mile for him. Yes, they should be professional and that shouldn't matter. Though they might be gifted physically and earning enormous amounts of money, they are no different from the general populace when it comes to how they are treated.

Torts has been a disappointment. The team has not taken on his personality (and weren't we all hoping for that when he was hired?)
They have not bought into his system (whatever it is) and seem confused by his constantly shifting lines, roles, and philosophies. They might respect him but obviously don't like him and are not willing to sacrifice for him.

In this day and age, one of a coach/managers main jobs is dealing with his player's personalities, emotions, and personal lives. Canceling the parents trip is indicative of a coach who has little understanding of what it takes to be a coach.

Yes, the guy won a Cup, but eventually he was fired. When ex-coaches get a second job, they usually internalize what they have learned from their first job and do a better job. Torts seems to forget why he was fired in Tampa.

The players are not blameless here, far from it. But there comes a time when the coach's influence becomes a negative.

There are many ways to run a team and some coaches are successful with cracking the whip and playing head games (Keenan, Parcells), but most are not. Torts is on borrowed time. I expect that, by this time next year, he will be gone.

FromTheSide 03-14-2010 08:06 AM

Kibosh huh? Oh boy, the words that you learn at bus stops.......

Ok ok i'll stop. Torts went a little overboard on this.

BobSantos 03-14-2010 08:38 AM

I don't see what these particular players have accomplished as a group to want to show off in front of mommy and daddy.

Wait - aren't they grown-ups?

Wait - can't they just buy their parents tickets to any damn game? Can't they even organize a day when several of them show up at the same event?

Please. This is a non-story and in no way shows how Torts is a bad person/coach/etc. I get tired of watching people trying to bang a square peg into a round hole.

Ola 03-14-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOWRanger (Post 24488465)
Kibosh huh? Oh boy, the words that you learn at bus stops.......

Its funny for someone like me though, who don't know what words like that really means.

Like if you don't know what "Kibosh" means, and reads something like:

"Tortorella put his kibosh on the players parents."

You can imagine what the first impression of the meaning is... :D

CaptainCallahan* 03-14-2010 08:45 AM

Larry Brooks really needs to stop with these childish articles. Every week its another article criticizing Torts with absolutely zero facts. Okay Larry, we get that you don't like him, now show some professionalism and take the high road.

PS, you look like a mutant.

Riche16 03-14-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkurtz (Post 24488404)
The best teams and workplaces are where the players and workers are willing to go that extra mile for their boss.

Not the case here.

Not that it matters much... but "extra mile"? These guys won't go the 3 feet required let alone an "extra mile"

:sarcasm:

Riche16 03-14-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola (Post 24488615)
Its funny for someone like me though, who don't know what words like that really means.

Like if you don't know what "Kibosh" means, and reads something like:

"Tortorella put his kibosh on the players parents."

You can imagine what the first impression of the meaning is... :D

:biglaugh:

Good thing he didn't "nip it in the bud" as well. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

alkurtz 03-14-2010 09:48 AM

This has nothing to do with Brooks and everything to do with the atmosphere in the Ranger locker room.

If you don't think things like this are important....than you are dead wrong.

If you don't think things like this are important....than you know zilch about hockey culture.

If you don't think things like this are important...than you know nada about group dynamics or management.

Who is going to get more out of his team: a coach who treats them like men or one who treats them like children?

This has nothing to do with putting them through an extra hard practice after a poor game or making them travel together to NJ and spend the night before a game together (which I though was a fine idea).

On teams that are struggling, bonding is even more important. Some of you need to realize that players are more than just stats on a page or performance on the ice.

The best coaches understand the human dynamic and their understanding has a positive influence on the team. So many times this year it has been Torts who has acted as a child. This is such a case; childish, petulant, boorish, and sometimes downright embarrassing to watch.

Sometimes a team needs a good kick in the rear to get going. Torts has tried that all year and it hasn't worked. Instead of coming up with a solution that might help he is acting like a spoiled child.

lovetherangers 03-14-2010 10:05 AM

Some future Larry Brooks headlines;

"Torts leaves toilet seat up at home"

"Torts never makes the bed"

"Torts doesnt give up seat for the handicapped on subway"

"Torts made a right on red"

"Torts doesnt stop for School Bus with red flashing lights"

"Torts post-game tirades contribute to Global Warming says Al Gore"

:shakehead

GarretJoseph* 03-14-2010 10:08 AM

I'm not having a dig or go at your character so please don't take this the wrong way but lets leave those dis-tasteful jokes off the boards.

Riche16 03-14-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetherangers (Post 24489125)
Some future Larry Brooks headlines;

"Torts leaves toilet seat up at home"

"Torts never makes the bed"

"Torts doesnt give up seat for the handicapped on subway"

"Torts made a right on red"

"Torts doesnt stop for School Bus with red flashing lights"

"Torts post-game tirades contribute to Global Warming says Al Gore"

:shakehead

You forgot "leaves the cap off of the toothpaste"

Crease 03-14-2010 10:11 AM

If in fact Torts is responsible for the cancellation of Parents Day, then I can't support that decision.

But since this is another "anonymous source" based article, Brooks is just being an annoying ahole.

lovetherangers 03-14-2010 10:26 AM

If Torts did then he is a jerk, but Larry Brooks is just as big a jerk for writing articles to advance his personal vendetta against Torts. It's getting old frankly.

White Plains Batman 03-14-2010 10:31 AM

Torts is a schmuck, plain and simple. I don't entirely hate him but the guy should go to dinner with Tom Coughlin and learn to lighten up a little.

Bird Law 03-14-2010 10:34 AM

Good. The ****ers haven't earned it.

Play with some heart and you can get what you want.

Make them ride the bus, too.

Honestly, the sense of entitlement has come to an end. We have preached for this for years. Yet when it actually happens, people whine about how sadddd it must be for the players and how unfair it is. I've been waiting for something like this (and the rest of the stuff that's went on) for years now. I love the fact that the players are finally not getting everything they want.

Bird Law 03-14-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetherangers (Post 24489303)
If Torts did then he is a jerk, but Larry Brooks is just as big a jerk for writing articles to advance his personal vendetta against Torts. It's getting old frankly.

Larry Brooks is a great troll. He gets people hook line and sinker with these "emotional" bits about Torts. He knows the Rangers fans are absolute suckers.

Heat McManus 03-14-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Hit the nail on the head right there.

UAGoalieGuy 03-14-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Let me start this post off by saying i'm not a big fan of Brooks, so here we go:

Isn't that what the news does. All reporters are suppose to be "neutral" but usually their personal views makes it into their writing/reporting. Whether it be in sports, politics, or wars. If you are a conservative, you are going to put a conservative spin on things. If you are a liberal, you are going to but a liberal spin on things. If you think that a player/coach is not a good fit on the professional sports team you are paid to cover, then your personal opinion is going to come out in your articles. He gets paid to write things that are interesting, cause controversy, and in turn cause a debate between readers. He just did his job, yet again.

To a more drastic degree, look at Eklund. People mock him on here like crazy, but they still go to his website and partake in discussions on his articles. The guy is making a living off the website, no matter how illegitimate he is.

So no, he is not a big jerk for writing these articles. He's doing his job, and doing it well. Same thing happens in politics, but sometimes on a much larger scale. It all depends on the overall views of the corporation that owns the news outlet. That is how views on things get manipulated.

UAGoalieGuy 03-14-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 24489386)
Larry Brooks is a great troll. He gets people hook line and sinker with these "emotional" bits about Torts. He knows the Rangers fans are absolute suckers.

aka he does his job well and gets hits on his webpage for the Post. He knows how to manipulate people and how to stir up debate, thus attracting more people to read said article.

Jaromir Jagr 03-14-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 24489377)
Good. The ****ers haven't earned it.

Play with some heart and you can get what you want.

Make them ride the bus, too.

Honestly, the sense of entitlement has come to an end. We have preached for this for years. Yet when it actually happens, people whine about how sadddd it must be for the players and how unfair it is. I've been waiting for something like this (and the rest of the stuff that's went on) for years now. I love the fact that the players are finally not getting everything they want.

Yeah, they're not getting everything they want.

They're also responding really well to that :sarcasm:

Bird Law 03-14-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr (Post 24489562)
Yeah, they're not getting everything they want.

They're also responding really well to that :sarcasm:

And? If they don't respond, you take away more. I'm sorry, but the players have had whatever they've wanted and didn't respond. There is something that can be taken away that will cause actual anger and such to create some passion.

You think the bums deserve to have trips like these?

White Plains Batman 03-14-2010 11:07 AM

I'm all for having a strict disciplinarian as coach and in fact I think in a place like NY where everyone has access to everything 24/7 it's needed but you have to show a little bit of a human side every now and then.

It's a balancing act; canceling limo rides and making players use English on the bus/jet and no cellphones at certain times is fine but if you do something like letting the parents follow them for a few games, it'll lighten the atmosphere.