HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Any sharks fans feel optimistic about the playoffs? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=751446)

triplea112 03-17-2010 10:47 AM

Any sharks fans feel optimistic about the playoffs?

All the other sharks fans I know are predicting a 1st round exit. I still kind of believe the sharks still can turn it around, and have a good playoff run (please don't remind me of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary).

Is anyone else feeling optimistic about the playoffs?

one2gamble 03-17-2010 10:50 AM

If they can set up a defensive system and a pp thats worth a damn they will be fine, unfortunately I dont believe there is time, nor do I believe the coaching staff is able to do either.

sjshark91 03-17-2010 10:50 AM

One word. No.

hockeyball 03-17-2010 10:50 AM

Not particularly, but I've felt that way since training camp. It was obvious to me that the Shark's were going to be a poor defensive team and extremely slow to top it off. Slow teams with poor defense do not win cups.

Frankly DW's strategy this season is mind boggling. When the Shark's fail this year, he needs to be replaced.

That said, you never know. I expect the Sharks to show up for the first round and tear it up out of pure pride. After that, I think we'll see more of the same and second round exit.

Shape 03-17-2010 10:56 AM

They shouldn't even bother playing in the playoffs. Just humbly pass on their playoff spot and give it to a more deserving team.. what's the point when we all know they will lose. ****ing losers.

CrazedZooChimp 03-17-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 24552468)
Not particularly, but I've felt that way since training camp. It was obvious to me that the Shark's were going to be a poor defensive team and extremely slow to top it off. Slow teams with poor defense do not win cups.

Frankly DW's strategy this season is mind boggling. When the Shark's fail this year, he needs to be replaced.

That said, you never know. I expect the Sharks to show up for the first round and tear it up out of pure pride. After that, I think we'll see more of the same and second round exit.

I think that describes my feelings exactly. Thank you HB!

nbbyfan20 03-17-2010 11:01 AM

nope not really. i don't even know who should feel optimistic, when we have failed in the playoffs since Thornton came here. There is not positiveness right now.

I agree with HB.

nbbyfan20 03-17-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shape (Post 24552565)
They shouldn't even bother playing in the playoffs. Just humbly pass on their playoff spot and give it to a more deserving team.. what's the point when we all know they will lose. ****ing losers.

Sharks are playing like the oilers. Maybe worse. Maybe we deserve Seguin or Hall.:help:

triplea112 03-17-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjshark91 (Post 24552462)
One word. No.

thanks. really says it all.

Rickety Cricket 03-17-2010 11:24 AM

The D is slow and terrrible. Also, Thornton is a turnover machine.

HOOCH2173 03-17-2010 11:24 AM

How many say JR for DW's replacement ehh?

Rickety Cricket 03-17-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 (Post 24552990)
How many say JR for DW's replacement ehh?

I'm ok with Jim Rutherford :sarcasm:

HOOCH2173 03-17-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket (Post 24553079)
I'm ok with Jim Rutherford :sarcasm:

heh heh yeah. that's exactly who i meant. :sarcasm:

hockeyball 03-17-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket (Post 24552989)
The D is slow and terrrible. Also, Thornton is a turnover machine.

You know, thats something that really bothers me. TM keeps saying he doesn't mind JT turning the puck over "it comes with the territory".

A) Savard doesn't turn the puck over constantly, nor does Crosby. Yes Thornton is a better passer than either, but not by much.

B) Even if it WERE true, you don't SAY IT. It's like giving JT a free pass to try every stupid low percentage play he can imagine in his big dopey head. That's like telling your kid "you'll probably try pot at some point, it's no big deal really."

After being seriously out-coached last playoffs. After putting together such a pathetic team defensive system. After the huge increase in turnovers. I really don't think McLellan is turning out to be all that great of a coach.

ngmcs8203 03-17-2010 11:36 AM

I have been leading the "it's only [insert month here] they'll turn it around" bandwagon all year long. After watching the last three games, I have fallen off that wagon. Then the new driver decided to pop the wagon in reverse and run over me a few times before taking off.

So glad we didn't get season tickets this year. 6 years was enough.

SactoShork 03-17-2010 11:41 AM

I'm just glad we have better goaltending than Chicago.

...oh wait...

Disregarding the last playoff let down though... there hasn't been a consistently better team in the league.

Kmshrkx 03-17-2010 11:43 AM

The Sharks are tanking on purpose! Don't you people realize that? They want to drop back to 5th or 6th place. This way we lose home ice advantage (what good has it done us in the past). Now if we survive the first round we look good! If we lose, oh well we lost to a better team. Genius!

CrazedZooChimp 03-17-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmshrkx (Post 24553254)
The Sharks are tanking on purpose! Don't you people realize that? They want to drop back to 5th or 6th place. This way we lose home ice advantage (what good has it done us in the past). Now if we survive the first round we look good! If we lose, oh well we lost to a better team. Genius!

People didn't care that we lost to a better (or higher seeded) team the year we were beat by Detroit...

RBR 03-17-2010 11:50 AM

It appears all the contenders have shown weaknesses at some point during the season. One of the (unfortunate) consequences of the salary cap is the parity between teams and the lack of truly dominant teams. The Sharks have not dominated the competition, at least not to the standards we all want. Still, I like the Sharks' chances much better than most teams. Many playoffs teams have goaltending issues strangely, despite the oversaturated goalie market. Apparently, most goalies have decided to suck this year. It's probably why PHX is doing so well, seeing as how they have an actual goalie. Then there's inconsistency offensively from just about every other team, some scoring 5 goals a game for periods and then none in the following games. The only ones who don't have consistency issues are the ones who suck consistently.

All this to say, it's been an odd NHL season (IMO). It's hard to say where the Sharks draw in, but their talent and record still give them the edge over a whole mess of teams with just as many or more weaknesses.

VP and GM 03-17-2010 11:58 AM

i'm feeling optimistic about the playoffs - because i'm a positive thinker overall, glass half full, etc. kind of dude. Just because the team is playing like **** right now - it won't change my mind. The playoffs are a month away. Then, we'll see what kind of 1st round matchup we get and really see what kind of team we have.

I will say that we're missing Vlasic in the top 4 D rotation, we'll be fine when we get him back.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw 03-17-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJSharkiez (Post 24553372)
It appears all the contenders have shown weaknesses at some point during the season. One of the (unfortunate) consequences of the salary cap is the parity between teams and the lack of truly dominant teams. The Sharks have not dominated the competition, at least not to the standards we all want. Still, I like the Sharks' chances much better than most teams. Many playoffs teams have goaltending issues strangely, despite the oversaturated goalie market. Apparently, most goalies have decided to suck this year. It's probably why PHX is doing so well, seeing as how they have an actual goalie. Then there's inconsistency offensively from just about every other team, some scoring 5 goals a game for periods and then none in the following games. The only ones who don't have consistency issues are the ones who suck consistently.

All this to say, it's been an odd NHL season (IMO). It's hard to say where the Sharks draw in, but their talent and record still give them the edge over a whole mess of teams with just as many or more weaknesses.

Good post. Really agree with everything you just said. It has been a weird NHL season. LA, Colorado and Phoenix in the playoff picture. Detroit fighting with Nashville and Calgary for a playoff spot.

I really think the Olympic break has much to do with it. Almost every team since the Olympic break has been inconsistent as all hell.

I'm not optimistic about the playoffs- if they were to start today. Who knows how things will shake out a month from now when the playoffs start. Anything can happen.

HOOCH2173 03-17-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VP and GM (Post 24553517)
I will say that we're missing Vlasic in the top 4 D rotation, we'll be fine when we get him back.

Magic 8-Ball says Signs Highly Unlikely. :sarcasm:

SharksAddict 03-17-2010 12:03 PM

Barring a matchup with Detroit, they will get through the first round. After that I really don't know.

joseph_kerr 03-17-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 24553153)
You know, thats something that really bothers me. TM keeps saying he doesn't mind JT turning the puck over "it comes with the territory".

A) Savard doesn't turn the puck over constantly, nor does Crosby. Yes Thornton is a better passer than either, but not by much.

Well Thornton is now tops in turning the puck over with 79 but crosby is 6th with 67 and savard has only played about half the season but his stats look about on par with those two.

I don't usually pay attention to stats but TSN had their third quarter marks up a while back and while i wasn't surprised with Thornton's turnovers i was suprised he's also in the top ten for takeaways, as of today 8th with 61.

And for the topic, i quit expecting anything from this team after last year and especially after the state of the sharks as long as Joe and Patty are both leaders on this team and they will be leaders on this team as long as they're here. Pavelski and Boyle showed up like they were going to a funeral, Joe and Patty showed up like they were going to a picnic.

deekortiz3 03-17-2010 12:24 PM

Excited for playoff hockey in general. Curious to see if the Sharks actually look any different in the playoffs...

I really want to see how our lower lines look. All season we have been talking about how much better our bottom two lines are... I want to see if they can show it in the playoffs. Also, Pavs has been stepping it up lately I want to see how that carries over into the playoffs. If he really is destined to be the future Capitan let's see if he can light a fire under this team with a solid playoff performance.

Thornton can not play soft if they really expect to go far. I doubt he will play like "Angry Joe" for 60 minutes but he needs to play it a bit safer with the puck. His turnovers and take aways have looked so easy for our opponents lately.

Also, wondering if Demers will see any playoff ice time?