HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Random thoughts on this year (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=75231)

Habsaku 05-01-2004 08:33 PM

Random thoughts on this year

This was a pleasant year in all. BG did a good job although he didnt adress the size issue at all. Our team work ethic and team toughness were very much improved, I'll thank both him and CJ for that.

Well, we werent supposed to go this far, but I'm still disapointed at how we lost, it reminded me of '98 against the Sabres....

We finally have some warriors, Ryder, Souray, Rivet, Koivu, Ward, Begin, Komisarek are those that stood the most IMO in that aspect. We also finally have good leadership, Koivu really impressed me for the first time since hes been given the C, I've always been overly critical of his leadership.

We have some strong forwards to work with, Ryder, Kovalev and Zednik all have good strength and size but Zed IMO is way too lazy, If he gave consistently gave out a good effort, hed be scoring 35+ goals, his balance is amazing.

Ribeiro has been ok I guess, I havent been overly impressed but hes given a nice effort. He was no.5 on the list so he really had to work for his job. I still hate his style and the ridiculous hype he gets but unless a better offer comes up, I keep him and his superstar potential. Cant have too much talent on a team. Just need to trade it at the right time ;) .

THeodore IMO, has been the biggest disapointment, I cant believe how much hes been defended. Hes got more then 14 4+goals games(tahts before I stopped watching at the end of the year, during the bad streak) and hes been anything but worth what hes being paid in the playoffs. He did not make the big sav es a money goaltender makes, he was average almost all year long with a lots of ups and downs, no consistency whatso ever. The talent is there, the dedication isnt. Id look at the next year or two as defining for his career with the Habs. Cause I hate when players waste their talents(i.e. Levavalier, Kozlov...). Hes good though, definetly top 3 material, just needs to put everything together.

Sundstrom, Juneau(retired), Quintal, Dackell, Dagenais and Perreault are players I dont want on this team anymore. They add close to nothing to this team, they can easily be replaced and at a cheaper, younger price. We'll be a better team once we get rid of these deadweights just like after Chow, Dykhuis, Reverse, Audead and McKay were gone.

I like our youth, I've been very pleased but I'm starting to doubt Hainsey and Hossa. They have to much skill to be in the minors, I hope they get it together cause Hainsey can be a superstar, he just needs to stop acting like one and start becoming one.

Its a shame what happened with Perezhogin, I really like the guy and his talent impressed me like few prospects have the last few years.... Plekanec can be a solid replacement for Dackell/Sundstrom though, Hes definetly ready. Higgins is good, I like the all around game he brings to the table.

I hope BG gets more speed and size, although our team is good at carrying the puck, I still think more speed and size can give us an edge we havent had in a long time. It'll also make us better defensively, on the forecheck and in corners. I'm not asking for tons of players on the FA market. I think a well placed trade and a good signing is enough cause we have a good core to work with. Besides, Hossa brings all these elements....

Our defense has a bit of work, but were going in the right direction. Markov's talent seems endless sometimes, hes the guy I like the most and the only one I wouldnt dare trade with Komisarek. Were much more physical and mobile then we were with RIvet, KOmisarek, Souray and Bouillon but I think we should look and Frankies spot and maybe find a replacement. I like his heart but he gets handled pretty easily by bigger opponents.

Were heading for the golf course and the draft now. My dream would be to get Robbie Schremp, I like this player a lot, a heck of a lot. Hes got all the tools to be a real good number 1 center. Sakus getting old, I doubt his body can take 4/5 more years so we should be looking at a center this year cause theres no bloody way I want Micky Mouse as my first line center. Tukonen, Olesz, Malkin are all guys I like a lot too, but I dont see how we could get them... Even Schremp, wed have to trade up, but it'd be well worth it.

I hope we resign Kovalev, I've always liked him and hes one of the few players in this league who makes me think "how the **** did he do that???". He seems to attrack the opposition and then make an unreal play for a scoring chance, rare talent, definetly a keeper.

I like our future, more so with BG and from what I see, I think that in two years max, the Habs will have a true identity, tougher, meaner, faster and more skilled. Thank you Savard, Thank you BG, its been a fun year to watch .

Corey 05-01-2004 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
This was a pleasant year in all. BG did a good job although he didnt adress the size issue at all. Our team work ethic and team toughness were very much improved, I'll thank both him and CJ for that.

Well, we werent supposed to go this far, but I'm still disapointed at how we lost, it reminded me of '98 against the Sabres....

We finally have some warriors, Ryder, Souray, Rivet, Koivu, Ward, Begin, Komisarek are those that stood the most IMO in that aspect. We also finally have good leadership, Koivu really impressed me for the first time since hes been given the C, I've always been overly critical of his leadership.

We have some strong forwards to work with, Ryder, Kovalev and Zednik all have good strength and size but Zed IMO is way too lazy, If he gave consistently gave out a good effort, hed be scoring 35+ goals, his balance is amazing.

Ribeiro has been ok I guess, I havent been overly impressed but hes given a nice effort. He was no.5 on the list so he really had to work for his job. I still hate his style and the ridiculous hype he gets but unless a better offer comes up, I keep him and his superstar potential. Cant have too much talent on a team. Just need to trade it at the right time ;) .

THeodore IMO, has been the biggest disapointment, I cant believe how much hes been defended. Hes got more then 14 4+goals games(tahts before I stopped watching at the end of the year, during the bad streak) and hes been anything but worth what hes being paid in the playoffs. He did not make the big sav es a money goaltender makes, he was average almost all year long with a lots of ups and downs, no consistency whatso ever. The talent is there, the dedication isnt. Id look at the next year or two as defining for his career with the Habs. Cause I hate when players waste their talents(i.e. Levavalier, Kozlov...). Hes good though, definetly top 3 material, just needs to put everything together.

Sundstrom, Juneau(retired), Quintal, Dackell, Dagenais and Perreault are players I dont want on this team anymore. They add close to nothing to this team, they can easily be replaced and at a cheaper, younger price. We'll be a better team once we get rid of these deadweights just like after Chow, Dykhuis, Reverse, Audead and McKay were gone.

I like our youth, I've been very pleased but I'm starting to doubt Hainsey and Hossa. They have to much skill to be in the minors, I hope they get it together cause Hainsey can be a superstar, he just needs to stop acting like one and start becoming one.

Its a shame what happened with Perezhogin, I really like the guy and his talent impressed me like few prospects have the last few years.... Plekanec can be a solid replacement for Dackell/Sundstrom though, Hes definetly ready. Higgins is good, I like the all around game he brings to the table.

I hope BG gets more speed and size, although our team is good at carrying the puck, I still think more speed and size can give us an edge we havent had in a long time. It'll also make us better defensively, on the forecheck and in corners. I'm not asking for tons of players on the FA market. I think a well placed trade and a good signing is enough cause we have a good core to work with. Besides, Hossa brings all these elements....

Our defense has a bit of work, but were going in the right direction. Markov's talent seems endless sometimes, hes the guy I like the most and the only one I wouldnt dare trade with Komisarek. Were much more physical and mobile then we were with RIvet, KOmisarek, Souray and Bouillon but I think we should look and Frankies spot and maybe find a replacement. I like his heart but he gets handled pretty easily by bigger opponents.

Were heading for the golf course and the draft now. My dream would be to get Robbie Schremp, I like this player a lot, a heck of a lot. Hes got all the tools to be a real good number 1 center. Sakus getting old, I doubt his body can take 4/5 more years so we should be looking at a center this year cause theres no bloody way I want Micky Mouse as my first line center. Tukonen, Olesz, Malkin are all guys I like a lot too, but I dont see how we could get them... Even Schremp, wed have to trade up, but it'd be well worth it.

I hope we resign Kovalev, I've always liked him and hes one of the few players in this league who makes me think "how the **** did he do that???". He seems to attrack the opposition and then make an unreal play for a scoring chance, rare talent, definetly a keeper.

I like our future, more so with BG and from what I see, I think that in two years max, the Habs will have a true identity, tougher, meaner, faster and more skilled. Thank you Savard, Thank you BG, its been a fun year to watch .

Where does the younger, cheaper talent to replace Sundstrom come from? You've eliminated Hossa and Perezhogin has eliminated himself, at least for the present. If Hossa can't make it, the only candidates left are Plekanec and Higgins, and they're also supposed to replace Perreault, Juneau, and Dackell. And what if Kovalev isn't re-signed? Seems the Canadiens don't have all that much depth at forward after all. And what about defense?

CH Wizard 05-01-2004 10:44 PM

But we don't know if perez can play in NHL next year

Beakermania* 05-01-2004 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
Where does the younger, cheaper talent to replace Sundstrom come from? You've eliminated Hossa and Perezhogin has eliminated himself, at least for the present. If Hossa can't make it, the only candidates left are Plekanec and Higgins, and they're also supposed to replace Perreault, Juneau, and Dackell. And what if Kovalev isn't re-signed? Seems the Canadiens don't have all that much depth at forward after all. And what about defense?

Bob Gainey will figure it out i'm sure.

In Bob We Trust

Habsaku 05-01-2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey

Ive eliminated Hossa?

What about defense?

Sundstrom, Dackell, Juneau and Perreault played on the 3rd and 4th lines all year.

Lets say we resign Kovalev:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
????-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-????-Ward
Langdon-Begin-????

Thats 3 spots only to fill with either FAs(Dowd, Laperriere, etc..) or Plekanec, Kastitsyn, Higgins, Hossa or maybe even Perezhogin. You can always sign Dagenais as a filler but I wouldnt want it personnally.

Defense doesnt really need much. I see Souray, Markov, Komisarek, Brisebois and Rivet all as solid regulars next year so theres only Frankies spot thats available. Either sign a guy for less then 4 million who can play the top 4/3 or make Beauchemin, Bouillon and Hainsey fight for the 6th spot.

CH Wizard 05-01-2004 11:09 PM

Me I will give a LAST chance to Hossa next year a LAST chance if he didn't respond we will have to trade him

Brett38 05-02-2004 12:24 AM

Can we use a guy like Primeau somewhere?
Even though he is a center, can we use him as a winger on the second line?
That will give us some size and grit on that line!
Ryder is doing a great job. Jury is still out on Ribeiro. Even though he led the team in points, we do have a lot of small forwards. I would keep Koivu over Ribeiro.

Beakermania* 05-02-2004 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett38
Ryder is doing a great job. Jury is still out on Ribeiro. Even though he led the team in points, we do have a lot of small forwards. I would keep Koivu over Ribeiro.

Can we afford both Primeau and Kovalev?? I don't know, and even if we can i would rather see Kovalev and a d-man brought in then two forwards.

IcE ColD 05-02-2004 09:48 AM

Quote:

Ive eliminated Hossa?

What about defense?

Sundstrom, Dackell, Juneau and Perreault played on the 3rd and 4th lines all year.

Lets say we resign Kovalev:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
????-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-????-Ward
Langdon-Begin-????

Thats 3 spots only to fill with either FAs(Dowd, Laperriere, etc..) or Plekanec, Kastitsyn, Higgins, Hossa or maybe even Perezhogin. You can always sign Dagenais as a filler but I wouldnt want it personnally.

Defense doesnt really need much. I see Souray, Markov, Komisarek, Brisebois and Rivet all as solid regulars next year so theres only Frankies spot thats available. Either sign a guy for less then 4 million who can play the top 4/3 or make Beauchemin, Bouillon and Hainsey fight for the 6th spot.

Well, we may need some help on defense. Souray has played really well... for half a season. Nothing tells us if his wrists will be okay or if he'll be able to play a complete season at the same level he did on the first half of the season. We can't judge right now if he's our no.1 d-man

Markov is great, but moody. But you can expect him to be ready for next year since his personal problems would all be set and done and if we re-sign Kovy, another russian in the entourage of Markov would be appreciated.

Komisarek (damn I like this guy) has put up a real good job, but is still young and need some veteran to show him the way.

Rivet is good when it gets a little rough but when speed is a factor, you can see it's hard for him to keep up.

Brisebois... well... 'never really liked the guy (cause his salary's too high for what he gives us), but he can be quite good when he concentrate on doing the little things. Still a question mark.

Quintal will probably be playing on another team, even if I think that he has a place on the team, though not a full-time place.

Bouillon deserves to have a spot on the team, he's like a Begin d-man, we really need that (like a 5th or 6th d-man).

So basically, we could use little upgrades on our d-squad

HABitude 05-02-2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett38

Oh please don't start with Primeau!! :lol

Yeah I agree with you, we're way too small in center. Everytimes I propose to get Primeau or Arnott, I have 25 angry posters against me. I receive a ton of bricks on my head, lol. So I agree we keep Koivu (anyway he's untradable cuz injuries history and cancer remission) but we must get rid of Ribeiro. Ribs did a great job in regular season but failed in the real season: the PlayOffs. I will second you with the idea of having a 6'5'' 235 lbs second center. Maybe someone else cheaper than Primeau but we must have someone at least 6'2', 210 lbs who can skate (not hard to find a better skater than Ribs).

:D ;)

HABitude 05-02-2004 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatone
Me I will give a LAST chance to Hossa next year a LAST chance if he didn't respond we will have to trade him

I am agree with you. Because we have Hossa, and Hossa is young, skilled, big and fast. He only miss the dedication, why don't we give him the chance to prove that he worked well in the dedication department. I saw that story too much time, we gave up in the past with guys like Leclair, Lemieux and Conroy and look what they've done somewhere else.

HABitude 05-02-2004 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatone
But we don't know if perez can play in NHL next year

...and we don't know if there will be a NHL season next year... :dunno:

HABitude 05-02-2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

... Cause I hate when players waste their talents(i.e. Levavalier, Kozlov...)

Lecavalier a waste of talent?
When?
Earlyer in his career or now?
Lecavalier just outplayed every Habs players in these 4 games. Vinny just turned 24 y recently and will be a NHL force for the next 11 years.
Lecavalier is now an elite NHL player that ANY team would love to have in their line-up.

Kozlov a waste of talent=agree. But I would like to have him wearing Habs jersey cuz he have great potential.