HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Speculation: Los Angeles at San Josť: First Round Playoffs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=753072)

Ron 03-21-2010 04:20 PM

Los Angeles at San Josť: First Round Playoffs

This is now a very real possibility as San Josť is floundering a month earlier than usual while Phoenix is apparently untouchable, having trashed Chicago down 2 goals in the third period last night, for eight in a row, leaving them only one point behind San Josť for the Pacific Division lead (!).

Now, San Josť does indeed have one game in hand on Phoenix; however, with four losses in a row, that game in hand doesn't mean much at all.

So enough of the preamble.

The Kings won the season series against the Sharks this year; however, the last two games: the Sharks were superior. Given the Sharks' horrific playoff history, I actually think this is a good first round match for the Kings. They match up well with the Sharks and in one game trashed their goalie (in San Josť). This might be the way to go. I really think a second round matchup with Phoenix would also be awesome.

Telos 03-21-2010 04:27 PM

I would rather play against San Jose than Phoenix to be honest, but as long as we make the playoffs and win some games, I will be very happy indeed.

Rickety Cricket 03-21-2010 04:28 PM

I think it'd be kinda fun to go down for a game or two.

TonySCV 03-21-2010 04:29 PM

Teams I'd like to see in round 1: Phoenix, San Jose, Colorado

Teams I don't want to see: Detroit (2-2), Nashville (0-3), Vancouver (0-3), Calgary (1-3), Chicago (1-3)

For the teams in bold, the Kings have played 14 games with them so far this season, the Kings have scored a total of 18 goals in 14 games and are 2-12.

The Kings have beaten up on the Pacific division this year, so you have to want to play Phoenix or San Jose vs. any team from the Central division or the Northwest (save for Colorado). The Kings are struggling to stay at .500 vs. teams in those two divisions.

Defgarden 03-21-2010 04:38 PM

Honestly, it doesn't matter who the Kings play. They will eventually have to go through some very tough teams if they want to come out on top.

Kurrilino 03-21-2010 04:55 PM

Don't we have to win 4 games per series to reach the next round
doesn't matter who we are playing ???

MxK1NGS 03-21-2010 04:58 PM

I could have sworn I pointed this out on the PGT?
Wait nvm.

JMFJ 3 03-21-2010 05:01 PM

If we play Phoenix or Nashville we're screwed, that is all.

KopitarFAN 03-21-2010 05:04 PM

At this rate, we're not finishing 5th. So, PHX/SJ isn't happening.

Takavorner 03-21-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KopitarFAN (Post 24634518)

Why is our fanbase so pessimistic? We have 3 games left against COL who is the main competition for the 5 seed, and another game left with PHO who we have 2 games in hand on. If we go on a nice little streak here, which isn't out of the question at all, even overtaking PHO isn't out of the question, let alone the 5 seed.

KopitarFAN 03-21-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takavorner (Post 24635545)
Why is our fanbase so pessimistic? We have 3 games left against COL who is the main competition for the 5 seed, and another game left with PHO who we have 2 games in hand on. If we go on a nice little streak here, which isn't out of the question at all, even overtaking PHO isn't out of the question, let alone the 5 seed.

Check that, for some reason i thought we were in 6th. 3 back of 5th, but since we're tied for 5th(as of now) i guess it's possible

Roxo 03-21-2010 06:12 PM

Judging from San jose's reputation and past performance in the Playoffs; I'll take it.

Fangio 03-21-2010 06:27 PM

If we're playing San Jose, Murray better get Frolov - Handzus - Simmonds reunited to go against Thornton's line. Limit their scoring chances as much as possible, we have a pretty good shot at pulling off an "upset".

Ziggy Stardust 03-21-2010 06:30 PM

The way the Kings have been playing of late, we should all be happy to see any playoff hockey, no matter who the opponent is. Although I do prefer San Jose simply because I would like to see that rivalry taken to the next level, and to see the NorCal fans have their yaps shut with those "Beat LA" chants.

JMFJ 3 03-21-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takavorner (Post 24635545)

We haven't qualified for the playoffs since 02, I have every right to be pessimistic.

Takavorner 03-21-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 (Post 24636450)
We haven't qualified for the playoffs since 02, I have every right to be pessimistic.

You go ahead and do that. I, on the other hand, will be enjoying this awesome season and will be optimistic that not only are we going to the playoffs, but we're winning a series once we get there :towel:

Ron 03-21-2010 09:37 PM

As I write this, Phoenix is tied with 4:28 left in overtime in Dallas (so they got the one point already), and the Sharks are getting beat by Edmonton 3-zip at the end of 2 periods.

All I can think right now is "LOL at SJS." If they lose the division to Phoenix, the "shark tank" will take on a whole new meaning. :D;)

RonSwanson* 03-22-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KopitarFAN (Post 24634518)

It could easily happen if LA falls to 7th or 8th.

BigBrown 03-22-2010 11:05 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sharks finally do some playoff damage this season. Usually they are damn near unbeatable down the stretch and falter in the playoffs while now they seem to be struggling early enough to get things back on track.

Flour Child 03-22-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurrilino (Post 24634370)
Don't we have to win 4 games per series to reach the next round
doesn't matter who we are playing ???

Sure, but we can always hope for a easier matchup than someone like Vancouver or Gnashville, who we can't beat.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 03-22-2010 12:52 PM

I'd rather play SJ than Phoenix. . .

DIEHARD the King fan 03-22-2010 01:11 PM

If you have to answer this question, then you havent followed Kings haockey for long enough. We struggle with phoenix no hw good or bad we both are. Unfortunately, right now we SUCK, and Phoenix is powning the rest of the league. San Jose seems to be sucking at about our level, and we almost always play them tough, this season winning the series.

I can't imagine watching the horror of a series against Phoenix while they are riding such a high and we are sucking it bigtime

Winger23 03-22-2010 01:36 PM

If the season ended today, picking SJ over Phoenix is a no brainer. However there is still a ton of hockey to be played for teams to get hot and cold still going in. What happens if Phoenix loses thier next 5 in a row and San Jose wins thier next 8. Do you now root to play Phoenix?

Regardless of San Jose's past exits, they have the superior team still. Yes we played them well earlier in the season, but they were head and shoulders over the Kings the past few meetings. With Phoenix the games are close and would be a better matchup for the Kings, IMO.

If I have to root for a team to play against, It's Colorado.

Buddy The Elf 03-22-2010 02:36 PM

I honestly don't really give a **** as long as they get there. They are going to have a tough time with any team. Lets just see them get there and hope for the best.

Blackhawkswincup 03-22-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 24633708)
This is now a very real possibility as San Josť is floundering a month earlier than usual while Phoenix is apparently untouchable, having trashed Chicago down 2 goals in the third period last night, for eight in a row, leaving them only one point behind San Josť for the Pacific Division lead (!).

Now, San Josť does indeed have one game in hand on Phoenix; however, with four losses in a row, that game in hand doesn't mean much at all.

So enough of the preamble.

The Kings won the season series against the Sharks this year; however, the last two games: the Sharks were superior. Given the Sharks' horrific playoff history, I actually think this is a good first round match for the Kings. They match up well with the Sharks and in one game trashed their goalie (in San Josť). This might be the way to go. I really think a second round matchup with Phoenix would also be awesome.

What?

Hawks and Coyotes went into Shootout

I would hardly say they thrashed us