HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Wake-up Call (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=753171)

SharksAddict 03-21-2010 09:30 PM

Wake-up Call

With the Sharks in their annual full collapse mode, what should be done?

coooldude 03-21-2010 09:35 PM

They're still playing hockey (no matter how depressing). It's not the time to scratch your stars, it's not the time to fire the coach. They need to find something to do, but it probably shouldn't be as drastic as changing the captaincy or as obvious as a bunch of bag skates.

This is a brutal, legendary losing streak right now, mostly for the unbelievable similarity in the way we're getting down in a lot of these games. Your only option as a team is to fall back on the adage of "once we get out of this, we'll be a stronger team," and as a fan I hope to hell that's right.

You have to let your players play their way out of it. Now, if we lose 6 more, and you ask me again, I might have a different answer.

Kitten Mittons 03-21-2010 09:36 PM

It's anonymous? Oh... well, I voted for all the poll options.

In actually, nothing should be done this season. However, I'd love if they benched Blake.

Shark Fin 03-21-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharksAddict (Post 24640361)
With the Sharks in their annual full collapse mode, what should be done?

"annual"?? this is some kind of suck we have never seen before.

SactoShork 03-21-2010 09:42 PM

I have never thought Todd McLellan had any idea what to do with this team. The Sharks player skill is what has earned them any praise they're worth. The coaching staff has been lost, clueless and timid since day one.

TheDanceOfMaternity 03-21-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoShark (Post 24640674)
I have never thought Todd McLellan had any idea what to do with this team. The Sharks player skill is what has earned them any praise they're worth. The coaching staff has been lost, clueless and timid since day one.

No, TMac was one of the best coaches in the league last year, and then Thornton and Nabby ruined it for everyone in the playoffs.

skilks 03-21-2010 10:01 PM

I think the blocked shots differential is something that's killing us.

dumpnchase 03-21-2010 10:11 PM

Fire Yawney -> Shaw -> McLellan, in that order.

Nighthock 03-21-2010 10:13 PM

Fire DW - seriously

kluu 03-21-2010 10:16 PM

i think they're losing on purpose to be seeded in the middle of the pack =)

Bizz06 03-21-2010 10:22 PM

the only reason why a team with this much talent loses 6 games in a row at this point in the season lies directly on the coaches. theres still 10 games left, which is 1/8th of a season. DW needs to fire this coaching staff, now, starting with Tmac, and take over himself. That will provide enough spark to motivate this team to win some games and head into the postseason on a high note. Also as Ive said before, strip Blake from the C and waive him, he has no business being on this team, let alone being captain of it. Thornton is not at fault, neither is Nabby, or Marleau or any of their players, this is the same team that got us 96 points thus far. TMac has done absolutely nothing outside of playing the Ron Wilson Line Shuffle Game(tm), to try to stop this losing streak.

USF Shark 03-21-2010 10:23 PM

honestly, everyone of them needs to get away from hockey. Go to Disneyland for a day, just get away from hockey and relax a little.

Short of that, fire McLellan and bring in Constantine.

DoubleMinor 03-21-2010 10:23 PM

Who the **** really knows what needs to be done at this point in time.

Its all bad... all bad!!

VP and GM 03-21-2010 10:26 PM

i voted for other as the proposed solutions aren't whats needed for this season.

I really think the players are physically and or mentally tired, call it an olymic hangover or what ever. I'd rest them and probally start giving star players days off including games off it they are playing like ****.

Offseason changes are a commin...

Spacemania 03-21-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USF Shark (Post 24641962)
honestly, everyone of them needs to get away from hockey. Go to Disneyland for a day, just get away from hockey and relax a little.

I say the Sharks simply forfit their next game and do exactly that.

Really, nothing more can be done at this point. DW missed that boat wholesale. He's taken gambles with the team, and now painted himself into a corner. This year is done, the only thing i honestly hope for is that the Sharks get stuck with a team that is expected to crush them like Detroit so we can move onto talking bout next season.

SharksAddict 03-21-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Go to Disneyland for a day

Appropriately so, fantasy land being the only shot the Sharks have at a Cup. :sarcasm:

TheJuxtaposer 03-21-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

I was thinking Alexander the Great. :naughty:

I think that we need to bench Nabby and Jumbo/Patty and give Juicy the spot on the top line, and just play with 17 skaters, just to make a point.

San Nashlanta 03-21-2010 10:42 PM

I voted nothing because they're in a slump and the only thing you can do really is just wait it out and keep going. Now, if this continues and they fail horribly in the playoffs then heads will roll.

nodq 03-21-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark Fin (Post 24640534)
"annual"?? this is some kind of suck we have never seen before.

Not unlike the winning of the President's trophy by falling into it. Sharks could have clinched it like 3 games in a row, but they lost them all. Only because Detroit lost did the Sharks get it at the end of the season.

09 03-21-2010 10:49 PM

It ain't over 'til it's over. As bad as the Sharks are playing now, they still have a chance to gain momentum going into the playoffs, even if it's hard to see the light right now.

Pinkfloyd 03-21-2010 11:04 PM

Bench Joe Thornton and/or strip his A. The team's lack of work ethic stems from him and until it is addressed, the coaching staff is just as much to blame for letting it continue. Of course, DW doesn't help in this regard either because he's sheltered him since he got him.

These losses and the losses that have happened in the past with this core happen because nobody holds Joe Thornton accountable. In reality, this is his team even when Marleau was the captain and even with Blake the captain. They can give Boyle the C next year and if Thornton is still on the team, it's still his team.

You want to wake the team up, start at the top.

SactoShork 03-21-2010 11:10 PM

I don't actually think it would be prudent to fire McLellan right now. but it must be apparent by now that he has no control over his squad. And I actually can't think of any other reason to have a coach?

19sharks19 03-21-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoShark (Post 24643060)
I don't actually think it would be prudent to fire McLellan right now. but it must be apparent by now that he has no control over his squad. And I actually can't think of any other reason to have a coach?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd (Post 24642971)
Bench Joe Thornton and/or strip his A. The team's lack of work ethic stems from him and until it is addressed, the coaching staff is just as much to blame for letting it continue. Of course, DW doesn't help in this regard either because he's sheltered him since he got him.

These losses and the losses that have happened in the past with this core happen because nobody holds Joe Thornton accountable. In reality, this is his team even when Marleau was the captain and even with Blake the captain. They can give Boyle the C next year and if Thornton is still on the team, it's still his team.

So true on T.M.; he has no pull as the leader of this team.

Per benching Joe, so the team playing terrible in total is 'his' fault? The over abundance of 5th/6th D men wouldn't be another consideration for the other major fault on this team?? Yes, you can include 'Blake in that group as well as he's nothing close to the player that D.W. intended to bring here, nothing.

In my view, I think our two main faults are as mentioned above, T.M.'s lack to lead this team and the week D. Otherwise up front I still think we are okay, yes slumping but will be okay. But agreed, it will have to pick it up big time if we are to have any success in the playoffs as, it will be only this we will be able to count on 'if' we are to go deep, and Naby being strong as well of course.

one2gamble 03-21-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd (Post 24642971)

The Truth....he speaks it

Pinkfloyd 03-21-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19sharks19 (Post 24643513)
So true on T.M.; he has no pull as the leader of this team.

Per benching Joe, so the team playing terrible in total is 'his' fault? The over abundance of 5th/6th D men wouldn't be another consideration for the other major fault on this team?? Yes, you can include 'Blake in that group as well as he's nothing close to the player that D.W. intended to bring here, nothing.

In my view, I think our two main faults are as mentioned above, T.M.'s lack to lead this team and the week D. Otherwise up front I still think we are okay, yes slumping but will be okay. But agreed, it will have to pick it up big time if we are to have any success in the playoffs as, it will be only this we will be able to count on 'if' we are to go deep, and Naby being strong as well of course.

I'm not saying it's all on Thornton. I'm saying it stems from him. Obviously benching him isn't going to help the team that night. But it will send a message that everyone is accountable, including the stars. And Joe Thornton with a kick in the pants can do wonders for his play and vicariously for the play of his teammates. You're not going to send a message benching Niclas Wallin or Kent Huskins or even Douglas Murray...even though they all deserve it.

If you bench Thornton, you send a message to everyone because at this point they've hit rock bottom and Thornton has been a major contributor to these results. Then McLellan will at least have control of this team saying if you don't play hard and you don't put out, you're not going to play. Yes, this can apply to many players but there really isn't anyone up front that contributes to this team for good or for bad than Joe Thornton. The trickle-down effect this would be felt by all.