HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Jani Rita out of Edmonton (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=75331)

BDubinskyNYR17* 05-02-2004 01:03 PM

Jani Rita out of Edmonton

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/edm44.html

Well if a draft day deal does happen, I got a feeling it would be something like Lundmark + something for Rita + something.

My reason for a deal like this happening: Well Lundmark is from Edmonton and would prolly thrive in the western conference. Jani Rita was drafted in 99 the same year as Lundmark by Glen Sather. Maybe a change can help both players oh and one more thing, Rita is a natural LW that has potential. Not saying that Lundmark does not but we need a real LW. What you guys think? Rita is also bigger than Lundmark at 6'1 206.

http://slam.canoe.ca/RoadrunnersPlayers/Rita.html
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...21&hubName=EDM

Would you do this deal? I know I would.

Potted Plant 05-02-2004 01:13 PM

Color me intrigued and very curiously interested. I think a straight-up swap would probably work, rather than some kind of package for a package. Who would you think has more value? Probably Lundmark as he has played more at the NHL level. So maybe a swap of the #26 with Edmonton's #14. That might be too much for Edmonton to give up, so we could add a swap of 2nd rounders where Edmonton moves up in the second to even it out.

Broadway Brett 05-02-2004 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
Color me intrigued and very curiously interested. I think a straight-up swap would probably work, rather than some kind of package for a package. Who would you think has more value? Probably Lundmark as he has played more at the NHL level. So maybe a swap of the #26 with Edmonton's #14. That might be too much for Edmonton to give up, so we could add a swap of 2nd rounders where Edmonton moves up in the second to even it out.

Edmonton doesn't have a 2nd, we have it. How about: Lundmark, our second 1st, a second rounder, for Rita, and EDM 1st and 3rd?

Unknownbutfamous 05-02-2004 01:32 PM

I dont think we should do this trade. Look ar Rita he degressed between last year and this year in the AHL, but atleast Lundmark has degressed in the NHL. I think Lundmark hasn't had any bounces.

BDubinskyNYR17* 05-02-2004 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie

Yea but Rita also is prolly more NHL ready, while Lundmark has been bounced around from different roles, that being said, lets compare the numbers.

Jani Rita
2001-02 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 76 25 17 42 32 15 8 4 12 0
2001-02 Edmonton Oilers NHL 1 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- --
2002-03 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 64 21 27 48 18 23 3 4 7 2
2002-03 Edmonton Oilers NHL 12 3 1 4 0 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 Toronto Roadrunners AHL 64 17 24 41 18
2003-04 Edmonton Oilers NHL 2 0 0 0 0
2003-04p Toronto Roadrunners AHL 1 1 0 1 0

Jamie Lundmark
2001-02 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 79 27 32 59 56 10 3 4 7 16
2002-03 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 22 9 9 18 18 2 0 0 0 0
2002-03 New-York Rangers NHL 55 8 11 19 16 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 New-York Rangers NHL 56 2 8 10 33

Rita has spent 3 full years in the minors, I feel that he is more NHL ready than Lundmark because Lundmark was not given a proper role and Lundmark has been bounced from line to line on a regular basis. Id take Rita just for the fact is that we need a real sniper on the LW, and I think Rita can be that player. I think Lundmark is not an eastern type player. Too me Lundmark gets knocked down so easy. I think Lundmark if he is still here by training camp should get alot stronger and at the same time get faster as well.

Son of Steinbrenner 05-02-2004 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Yea but Rita also is prolly more NHL ready, while Lundmark has been bounced around from different roles, that being said, lets compare the numbers.

Jani Rita
2001-02 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 76 25 17 42 32 15 8 4 12 0
2001-02 Edmonton Oilers NHL 1 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- --
2002-03 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 64 21 27 48 18 23 3 4 7 2
2002-03 Edmonton Oilers NHL 12 3 1 4 0 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 Toronto Roadrunners AHL 64 17 24 41 18
2003-04 Edmonton Oilers NHL 2 0 0 0 0
2003-04p Toronto Roadrunners AHL 1 1 0 1 0

Jamie Lundmark
2001-02 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 79 27 32 59 56 10 3 4 7 16
2002-03 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 22 9 9 18 18 2 0 0 0 0
2002-03 New-York Rangers NHL 55 8 11 19 16 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 New-York Rangers NHL 56 2 8 10 33

Rita has spent 3 full years in the minors, I feel that he is more NHL ready than Lundmark because Lundmark was not given a proper role and Lundmark has been bounced from line to line on a regular basis. Id take Rita just for the fact is that we need a real sniper on the LW, and I think Rita can be that player. I think Lundmark is not an eastern type player. Too me Lundmark gets knocked down so easy. I think Lundmark if he is still here by training camp should get alot stronger and at the same time get faster as well.

lundmark was given a proper roll. a fourth line center. whats wrong with that? everybody on this team has been bounced from line to line. lundmark had 2 goals last season. he was at best awful.

there is no way edmonton gives up rita for lundmark.

Potted Plant 05-02-2004 02:05 PM

So Lundmark is clearly not worth a player of similar age who has played all of 15 games in the NHL over three years? Sure, Lundmark has been disappointing, but so has Rita, and if the quotes in that article are to be believed, they don't seem really excited about keeping him.

I agree with JOrtmeyer. This could be one of those situations that does both players, and hence both franchises, some good.

skunk 05-02-2004 02:28 PM

Both stink. I don't want Rita and I want Lundmark gone.

BLACKBURN 05-02-2004 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
lundmark was given a proper roll. a fourth line center. whats wrong with that?

Um, nothing apart from the fact that his game is a top 2 winger or nothing. His skill set does not suit a 4th line centre, which is probably why he didnt have a great season at all. As ive mentioned before, let him work out this summer, get some confidence in camp and youve got yourself a YOUNG (still 23 or so) winger with top two line potential that was actually drafted by US! Dont give up on kids like this, etherwise the "youth movement" has no chance of success.

Kubera55 05-02-2004 02:46 PM

Bah, people are getting hysterical on Lundmark. He's one year older than Rita, not five. Lundmark hasn't done much in the NHL yet, but Rita hasn't even made the NHL yet. Right now Lundmark is worth more than Rita, easily. They're both one-time highly-regarded prospects (indeed, Lundmark even has the better draft pedigree) who have yet to live up to their billing. If Edmonton wants Lundmark, they're going to have to part with a heck of a lot more than a former 1st rounder who's been cooling his heels in the AHL for three years.

And if the Rangers really want Rita, I'd offer them Alexander Giroux (similar player, similar age, similar pro-production, just lacks the draft pedigree) and maybe a late 2nd round pick.

Potted Plant 05-02-2004 03:12 PM

Hell, I wouldn't offer the 2nd rounder straight-up for Rita, much less as part of a package. I don't think many teams would offer a 2nd rounder for Lundmark either. They're both probably worth 3rd round picks at this point, though I agree that it seems that Lundmark should probably be worth a bit more than Rita.

NYR469 05-02-2004 03:13 PM

the idea of a lundmark for rita swap is interesting because both guys have very high potential but haven't put it together yet and both appear to be falling out of favor with their current teams...would a change of scenario be good for both??

Slats432 05-02-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Edmonton doesn't have a 2nd, we have it. How about: Lundmark, our second 1st, a second rounder, for Rita, and EDM 1st and 3rd?

Edmonton has its own 2nd. The 2nd traded to you was the compensation for the UFA signing of Brian Leetch who you traded to us for a late pick.

I would support a straight up Lundmark for Rita trade.

in the hall 05-02-2004 03:25 PM

both players have been disappointing, difference is their cielings and i also am tired of giving emdonton free value

lundmark a home town kid with big upside acquired for a player with an attitude who has been disapointing and has limited upside of a third liner... another ranger highway robbery for lowe

Seachd 05-02-2004 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
both players have been disappointing, difference is their cielings and i also am tired of giving emdonton free value

lundmark a home town kid with big upside acquired for a player with an attitude who has been disapointing and has limited upside of a third liner... another ranger highway robbery for lowe

Well, their ceilings really aren't that different, and I would say Rita's is a tad higher.

The problem is, in their current situations, neither one is going to come anywhere near that ceiling. I might do Rita for Lundmark just to see Jani get an actual chance in the league.

EDIT: Are you talking about Rita when you mention the attitude? Where have you heard that?

Slats432 05-02-2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall

The 23 year old that hasn't hit anywhere near his upside for a 22 year old that hasn't hit anywhere near his upside? Rita was two years ago proported as the minor league player of the year in the Hockey News. No upside? Attitude? No one has ever question Rita's attitude other than taking all the tools in the tool box and use them. Third liner? No one has ever mentioned that as Rita's upside. Top 6 winger....here is an established website to back that up... http://www.forecaster.ca/aolcanada/h...layer.cgi?1921

Yeah, maybe Lundmark is a hometown AB kid, but that is only attractive to Kevin Lowe and no one else.

Mowzie 05-02-2004 03:47 PM

rita was never given a chance to shine in Edmonton,theyd recall him for a week or so, and give him 4 minutes of ice time on a line that isnt supposed to score goals. he was continously put in a position to fail by the coaching staff. he was never given a solid try-out, ant ounce of confidence he could have amassed was stolen from him faster than a broadway bullet. I still see solid 50 point guys in both Rita and Lundmark, but neither will ever get there in their respective cities.

Broadway Brett 05-02-2004 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bachul
Edmonton has its own 2nd. The 2nd traded to you was the compensation for the UFA signing of Brian Leetch who you traded to us for a late pick.

I would support a straight up Lundmark for Rita trade.

Oh, thanx for making me look like an idiot :D I didnt know that.

NYR469 05-02-2004 05:22 PM

the age difference between lundmark and rita is only 6 months...lundmark turned 23 in jan, rita will be 23 in july

dumpsathernow* 05-02-2004 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/edm44.html

Well if a draft day deal does happen, I got a feeling it would be something like Lundmark + something for Rita + something.

My reason for a deal like this happening: Well Lundmark is from Edmonton and would prolly thrive in the western conference. Jani Rita was drafted in 99 the same year as Lundmark by Glen Sather. Maybe a change can help both players oh and one more thing, Rita is a natural LW that has potential. Not saying that Lundmark does not but we need a real LW. What you guys think? Rita is also bigger than Lundmark at 6'1 206.

http://slam.canoe.ca/RoadrunnersPlayers/Rita.html
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...21&hubName=EDM

Would you do this deal? I know I would.

agreed we do need a natural lw and if we sig ladd that would give us a 1st and 2nd line left wings i say if we can do it , do it. let alone he is bigger than lundmark makes it even better would be nice to have a natural young left wing with good potential, a power foward winger is a good thing, we are weak at center though would really only do it if we sign umberger and maybe get schremp in the draft think he is a center also, but if schremp anjd umberger dont come here then its tough to trade our only young center, even if just get one of those 2 centers than trade lundmark but we need youth at center thats a fact

Lowetide 05-02-2004 06:42 PM

Rita has not, to this point, stepped forward in any way. A guy like Balej went to the AHL, struggled, found his way, and then had an impact. Rita on the other hand arrived, scored his 20 and didn't step forward either as a scorer or a two way player.

Having said that, Rita's rivals for a job on the Oiler wing have gotten progressively better. In the fall of 2000, the Oilers top 8 wingers leaving camp were Ryan Smyth, Bill Guerin, Ethan Moreau, Mike Grier, Daniel Cleary, Georges Laraque, Michel Riesen, Dan Lacouture. Rita didn't sign, though, preferring to play few minutes a night for his team in Finland.

When he did arrive (fall 01), the Oilers were in the middle of improving team depth in order to role 4 lines (which is what MacT wanted). That fall, the Oilers had a better top 8 (Smyth-Anson Carter, Jochen Hecht-Dan Cleary, Moreau-Grier, Josh Green-Laraque) and more depth in the AHL (Jason Chimera had stepped up as a prospect by this time, Fernando Pisani played extremely well, and Michael Henrich played much better in his second AHL season).

And with each season, the depth gets better and Rita keeps scoring his 20 or so but hasn't impressed. Has a terrific shot, isn't ever going to be the best checker on your team. He's Hal Morris when he was hitting 15 homers a year with Cincinnati while all the other first basemen in the NL were hitting 35.

Except he doesn't have the defense going for him, and one has to question his desire a little too. Still cheering for him, though.