HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   OT: Non-hockey GDT Union @ Sounders 9:30 PM ESPN2 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=754667)

Unstable 03-25-2010 09:15 AM

Non-hockey GDT Union @ Sounders 9:30 PM ESPN2

Anyone else planning to watch? I'm likely to miss most of the first half, but it would be really great if any folks here who know something about MLS were to comment, because I really don't know very much.

My sense (from the inadequate media coverage) is that we're in for a tough atmosphere and probably a tough match-up on the field as well, but I'm excited!

JSTAFF 03-25-2010 10:58 AM

I'm going to the home opener for sure. Hell yes philly union, hell yes. Ill be watchign this game somewhere as well.

GKJ 03-25-2010 11:04 AM

Was hoping to get Season tickets, but that's not going to work out.

I'll likely see only the second half of this.

DrinkFightFlyers 03-25-2010 11:19 AM

I'll be watching! ZOLOS have a tough match...I heard 35k plus in attendance. That's a pretty good crowd...

Cleary84 03-25-2010 11:49 AM

I'm not a soccer guy but I'm going to catch as much as I can just to check it out. Is the excitement of MLS different from international soccer?

CantSeeColors 03-25-2010 12:18 PM

Definitely going to try to check it out after the Flyers game is over. Should be interesting to see how things shape up.

DrinkFightFlyers 03-25-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleary84 (Post 24717439)
I'm not a soccer guy but I'm going to catch as much as I can just to check it out. Is the excitement of MLS different from international soccer?

Depends on who you ask. Obviously it is not as intense in the sense that in very few places (if any at all) have every fan standing and cheering the entire game going nuts. There is usually one section of the stadium for supporters and the rest of the stadium is generally just casual fans with some crazies mixed in there. The talent level isn't as high either in the MLS, but it has gotten better. With Philly in the league now with Seattle last year, and Vancouver and Portland next season, the league should start picking up some momentum. Philly, Seattle, and Vancouver have pretty dedicated fan bases and I'm not too sure about Portland. I am envisioning a lot of sellouts in Philly and some loud crowds. My suggestion to you, if you want to get the whole "European" soccer feel, join the supporters group (the Sons of Ben) and sit in the supporters section. That's about as close as you will get. Haven't been to a Philly Union game yet (as there have not been any), but I was a supporter of Red Bull New York (Empire Supporters Club) up until the Philly team came in to play, and their supporter section was pretty crazy.

BillyShoe1721 03-25-2010 04:35 PM

I'll watch some of it. I'll be flipping between this and NCAA basketball.

i am dave 03-25-2010 04:50 PM

Hopefully I'll get to watch some of this. I got my tickets for the Linc opener!

JSTAFF 03-25-2010 05:49 PM

I will be in the Sons of Ben section, ohyaaaaaaaaaaa

RIPRichardsCarter 03-25-2010 05:51 PM

Lets gooooo. Soccer in Philly! YESSS!

DrinkFightFlyers 03-25-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTAFF (Post 24724159)
I will be in the Sons of Ben section, ohyaaaaaaaaaaa

Nice! I joined SoB but I didn't get season tix because I am out in Harrisburg. I'm gonna try and get some tickets for the SoB section once they go on sale for individual games. Pumped for both games tonight!

Pantokrator 03-25-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleary84 (Post 24717439)

Yes, the excitement level is different, but like another poster said, there will be rabid fans there. But you probably won't have a lot of brick throwing or chasing refs off the field like you would in some other countries, so if your into that sort of thing, you'll be dissapointed.

On a skill level, MLS is pretty far down the ladder. This is somewhat due to the salary cap. In Europe, you can have teams like Real Madrid and Chelsea who spend like the Yankees. In MLS, no one has that advantage, but it does possibly keep out some players that would be fun to watch.

PhilaFlyers 03-25-2010 07:01 PM

I'll definitely be watching.

UseYourAllusion 03-25-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantokrator (Post 24725835)
Yes, the excitement level is different, but like another poster said, there will be rabid fans there. But you probably won't have a lot of brick throwing or chasing refs off the field like you would in some other countries, so if your into that sort of thing, you'll be dissapointed.

On a skill level, MLS is pretty far down the ladder. This is somewhat due to the salary cap. In Europe, you can have teams like Real Madrid and Chelsea who spend like the Yankees. In MLS, no one has that advantage, but it does possibly keep out some players that would be fun to watch.

Even if there weren't a salary cap, none of these teams could remotely afford those players. Besides it's not a salary so much as all of the players contracts are with the league instead of the team.

EDIT:

Also, extremely excited, got season tix and everything!

DrinkFightFlyers 03-25-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion (Post 24726263)
Even if there weren't a salary cap, none of these teams could remotely afford those players. Besides it's not a salary so much as all of the players contracts are with the league instead of the team.

EDIT:

Also, extremely excited, got season tix and everything!

Teams could afford them. Guarantee you if they could swing it Red Bull would be able to buy a lot of players. The only problem is no one would want to come to MLS really while they are in their prime at this point. I'm a big MLS fan, but the truth is compared to other leagues it is a joke. Messi wouldn't take $100 million a year to play for Columbus for the same reason top guys aren't fleeing to the KHL where some could potentially get more money. That's not a great example but it's like how you wouldn't have seen guys going to the USFL, XFL, AFL, etc. If you want to play in the best leagues in the world, you stay in Europe.

JUNGITE aut PERITE!!!

UseYourAllusion 03-25-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 24727859)
Teams could afford them. Guarantee you if they could swing it Red Bull would be able to buy a lot of players. The only problem is no one would want to come to MLS really while they are in their prime at this point. I'm a big MLS fan, but the truth is compared to other leagues it is a joke. Messi wouldn't take $100 million a year to play for Columbus for the same reason top guys aren't fleeing to the KHL where some could potentially get more money. That's not a great example but it's like how you wouldn't have seen guys going to the USFL, XFL, AFL, etc. If you want to play in the best leagues in the world, you stay in Europe.

JUNGITE aut PERITE!!!

Red Bull probably could, just for spite, if not profit. But none of the other teams remotely could. I guess LA did throw down pretty big for Becks, and Paul Allen wouldn't be afraid. But these teams aren't making money as it is now.

SeanL44 03-25-2010 08:33 PM

I'm so flippin excited!

Cleary84 03-25-2010 08:47 PM

HE'S the captain?

IrishSniper87 03-25-2010 08:57 PM

**** it. I hate soccer, but I'll watch this.

EDIT: Our captains hair is awesome, haha.

They keep talking about our GK. Is he any good?

Why do we look like Notre Dame Fighting Irish out there?

Is their a special name for those scarves the fans are wearing?

ForsbergIsOdin 03-25-2010 09:01 PM

I like the teams color scheme.

Razor the Goalie 03-25-2010 09:10 PM

I hope our stadium is built to par, Seattle stadiums and fans and color schemes are second to none. We need a draw here.

PhilaFlyers 03-25-2010 09:19 PM

That's why I don't really like soccer that much.

IrishSniper87 03-25-2010 09:23 PM

So I take it we don't have an sponsors yet? Haha.

Seattle's color scheme is kickass. Ours looks like the Notre Dame Fighting Irish (which isn't a bad thing)

ForsbergIsOdin 03-25-2010 09:24 PM

Yeah.... The Seattle XBox360's jerseys are reallllllyyyy sweeet.

Gay.