HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Speculation: Extension for Mikko Koivu (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=755136)

UMD05 03-26-2010 12:03 PM

Extension for Mikko Koivu

Mikko Koivu is under contract for 1 more season, so they'll probably try to get an extension done this summer. He's 27, a leader, wins faceoffs (when he isn't booted out), plays defense, and his statistics are generally trending upward despite centering a subpar line. What do you think he's worth?

By comparision, Ryan Kesler recently signed a 6 year extension with Vancouver for a cap hit of $5,000,000 per season. Both are well rounded centers. Kesler is 25.

Do you think a similar deal is reasonable? Should Koivu be worth more? Less? If nothing else, I think it's a solid, comparable benchmark for future negotiations.

Hopefully we can get some outside opinions here as well since fans sometimes tend to overvalue/undervalue their team's players based on how they've performed lately.

mnwildgophers 03-26-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMD Bob (Post 24740906)
Mikko Koivu is under contract for 1 more season, so they'll probably try to get an extension done this summer. He's 27, a leader, wins faceoffs (when he isn't booted out), plays defense, and his statistics are generally trending upward despite centering a subpar line. What do you think he's worth?

By comparision, Ryan Kesler recently signed a 6 year extension with Vancouver for a cap hit of $5,000,000 per season. Both are well rounded centers. Kesler is 25.

Do you think a similar deal is reasonable? Should Koivu be worth more? Less? If nothing else, I think it's a solid, comparable benchmark for future negotiations.

Hopefully we can get some outside opinions here as well since fans sometimes tend to overvalue/undervalue their team's players based on how they've performed lately.

Trying to act without a bias here, but I would say that Kesler's deal would be very comparable to a deal that Koivu could get, if not more. I think it will be somewhere around 6 mil per season since he is our first ever permanent captain, he's our leader.

I think that he will get it because he does it all, good at faceoffs, leader, producing well with like you said, subpar linemates. His +/- isn't the best, but I think that attributes to our whole team not being there, he's a very good player and we need to keep him around.

I think the Wild definitely need to extend him because he can be our top line center for a good time to come, which we don't have much of right now anyway.

Dr Jan Itor 03-26-2010 01:10 PM

A deal HAS to get done. He is the most important part of this team (sorry Backstrom), and has been for past couple years.

Would be content with $6.5 mil per, ecstatic if its any less.

Surly Furious 03-26-2010 01:13 PM

I think 5-6.5, for 5 to 7 years would be what it will take. I can't imagine it not getting done.

BigT2002 03-26-2010 01:13 PM

He loves it here, he'll take a hometown paycut. I would suspect he'll stand to hit around the $6M mark over the course of 5-6 years. If its more though, I wouldn't care....deserves it

mnwildgophers 03-26-2010 01:24 PM

I think we can say without a doubt he's been the best player on the team this year and he hasn't really been hurt much. Hope it gets done fast.

Jbcraig1883 03-26-2010 02:08 PM

I think you guys are spot on with the range that he will get, as well as the term.

I'm not too worried about Koivu...I'm more worried about Lats. He has not given me any reason to think he won't get better, or any reason to think he will ask for a lot of money, but I just hope it isn't a battle between him/his agent and CF...then he starts out slow and struggles the rest of the year, on the ice and with the fans. Again, no reason to believe that but I am more worried about Lats than I am Koivu.

mnwildgophers 03-26-2010 02:13 PM

I think CF will get an extension of about 3 years done with Lats, that seems to be his number on the term with most players, Clutter, Barker, players like that are all signed.

Back on topic, I am hoping for at least 5+ years on an extension with Koivu. I can't see it being for any less.

GopherState 03-26-2010 03:13 PM

How many years does Latendresse have until he is a UFA?

As for Koivu, he was named captain for a reason and his contract needs to reflect that.

djp4516 03-26-2010 03:32 PM

I am guessing Koivu's next deal will be $6M/5 years or something to that extent. At least he better since I just bought a Koivu jersey.

I was going to post a thread asking about Latendresse (I refuse to call him Lats) and a possible extension. Does Fletcher try to pay a little more right now to get him locked up for longer, or do we just give him a cheaper, 2-3 year extension? Would $2.5M get it done? I am just not sure his value right now.

Jbcraig1883 03-26-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 24744346)
How many years does Latendresse have until he is a UFA?

As for Koivu, he was named captain for a reason and his contract needs to reflect that.

I'm heading out so I'm going to go with a lazy response but I believe he would be a UFA at 26 years of age, so 4 more seasons. As far as contract, I'm going to guess he will want 3.5-4. He has a lot of arguments going for him...PF type in style of Bertuzzi..hasn't hit prime, will either hit 30 goals or come damn close to it...

As far as do we lock him up long-term? I don't know...I think that would be very risky but signing him for a year or two to make sure this wasn't a fluke might end up costing 5-6 mil two years down the road. Because, in my opinion, if he continues to play the way he has, gets older and wiser, gets a center, he will be an annual 30-40 goal scorer...and they don't come around often, especially in that size.

mnwildgophers 04-10-2010 10:40 PM

Mikko Koivu finished this year as the leading scorer for the Minnesota Wild with 80 GP, 22 G, 49 A, and 71 Pts.

He was the heart and soul of this team always putting in his 100% effort into every shift. We named him as our first permanent captain in Wild history. He plays so well all around the ice, and he needs to be extended for a long time. I see Fletch working on that for the majority of the offseason in addition to his many other things that Fletch will be attempting to do.

I can't wait to see if we can acquire someone to play on Koivu's wing and how many points he will put up next year, and I hope he continues to be in the top 10 in FO%.

UMD05 05-17-2010 12:02 PM

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=777167

Backstrom's 6.7m/10yr deal should help keep Koivu's price down a bit.

Kesler = $5m
Backstrom = $6.7m

That's probably the range. He should be closer to Kesler's contract than Backstrom IMO. I'd say $5.5ish.

GopherState 05-17-2010 12:09 PM

I could see it being closer to $6 million given the intangibles.

this providence 05-17-2010 12:42 PM

I hope they don't have to pay Koivu $6 million per...

mnwildgophers 05-17-2010 12:52 PM

He is the captain of this team, I wouldn't be mad if the contract was around $6M a year cap hit. He could be a 90-point scorer with a legit winger on his right side.

State of Hockey 05-17-2010 12:57 PM

Koivu deserves more money than Kesler, no doubt. I'd say Koivu will get 5.5-6 million. More than that I'd have a problem with though.

rynryn 05-17-2010 01:58 PM

even if their stats were absolutely identical, Koivu is more important to the Wild than Kesler is to the Canucks--and that is saying a lot. He'll get a sweeter deal than Kesler. I don't think he'll consider a per year discount for a longer term, either, since he doesn't really have to and there is almost no chance that his skills or abilities decline during the duration of any contract he's liable to be offered. if any player has us over a barrel, koivu is it. even more so now that gaborik is gone.

it's a business--i hope people don't get all huffy when he and his agent negotiate hard.

dfk711* 05-17-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by this providence (Post 25869122)
I hope they don't have to pay Koivu $6 million per...

Why? He deserves that if not more. Koivu's importance to the Wild is way greater than Kesler to Vancouver and ever a little bit more than Backstrom to Washington. Could you imagine the point totals he would put up with OV on his wing?

GopherState 05-17-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfk711 (Post 25870602)
Why? He deserves that if not more. Koivu's importance to the Wild is way greater than Kesler to Vancouver and ever a little bit more than Backstrom to Washington. Could you imagine the point totals he would put up with OV on his wing?

With the salary cap and the emphasis on younger talent, people are gravitating towards being pro-management rather than pro-union.

Jarick 05-17-2010 03:59 PM

He'll give you Kesler type performance, but because we are such a crap team we'll have to overpay a bit. I hope it's not over $6m.

I don't understand why everyone overlooks Backstrom being an RFA...typically they make a lot less than UFA's because it's only one team to bid on them. $6.7m is good but it's not a steal.

firstroundbust 05-17-2010 06:56 PM

I can see something like an average cap hit of 5.5 mil...with some 5's, 5.5's, 6's, and maybe a 6.5 or two in there somewhere.

I think it will be on par with Havlat's deal, 6 years 30 mil. I think the thing to remember here is that Koivu is a competitor, so maybe he takes a little less in order to give the Brass more financial flexibility to build a winner.

UMD05 05-17-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 25872194)
He'll give you Kesler type performance, but because we are such a crap team we'll have to overpay a bit. I hope it's not over $6m.

I don't understand why everyone overlooks Backstrom being an RFA...typically they make a lot less than UFA's because it's only one team to bid on them. $6.7m is good but it's not a steal.

Koivu is under contract for one more year, so he also only has one team bidding on him - for now.

thestonedkoala 05-18-2010 05:22 PM

12 years, 66 million coming to 5.5 million a year for a cap hit.

Let's see...

7 million the first 5 years (35 million)
5 million the next 5 years (25 million)
3 million then for the last 2 years

Not bad.

UMD05 06-30-2010 08:28 AM

Russo ran a good article on Koivu in the strib today:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...7PQLanchO7DiUr