HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What would it take to move up to #2 in the draft?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=75623)

Garnet 05-03-2004 07:06 PM

What would it take to move up to #2 in the draft??

Just wondering. I would like to see Montreal get Malkin. Pit has the pick which will get him and with the IIHF and NHL agreement expired I think PIT could have money issues in getting Malkin over here. Montreal has a lot of prospects and its time to trade up talent wise. Ottawa did it with Speeza and I thing Montreal should too.

We could offer any of 18th pick Hossa, Hainsey, Ribeiro, Plekenec, Higgins?? Bulis, Zednik. I sure Montreal could make a deal with the mention players. I would try to avoid trading Higgins, Perez, Kats, Zednik, Komi, and Ryder.

To Pitt: 18th, Ribeiro, Hossa and Hainsey

To Montreal, 2nd pick and Ramzi Abid or Kraft and a late pick.

If Malkin cant step in Montreal has Plekenec or Higgins to play second line center.

I know, this is over paying be you have to, to move up in the draft.. Whats your idea??

Duff88 05-03-2004 07:09 PM

I think that we overpay, but they would say "No thanks, but it was a good offer" anyway.

I don't think there's a way to get a top 3 pick unless we have to give everything in the roster... Anyway, if Olesz falls after #5, we should make an offer for a pick because he clearly is the 3rd best player available and the concusion concerns are just stupid.

tiredman 05-03-2004 07:30 PM

what about ?
To Pitt: Plekanec, Mtl 1st round pick
To Montreal: 2nd overall pick

didjuicythat 05-03-2004 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABS456
what about ?
To Pitt: Plekanec, Mtl 1st round pick
To Montreal: 2nd overall pick

That clearly wouldn't do it. Eventhough he won't be the 1st overall pick in this draft, Malkin would have been the best player in most other drafts for the past 10 years. While he's still one step behind Ovechkin, I'm sure the Penguins would be willing to hear *only* offers including established (and preferably young) NHL players.

Traitor8 05-03-2004 07:46 PM

What about:

Pit:
Richard Zednik
Mon 1st round pick in 2004
Tomas Plekanec
Ron Hainsey
Marcel Hossa

Mon:
2nd overall pick

toughstuff 05-03-2004 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
What about:

Pit:
Richard Zednik
Tomas Plekanec
Ron Hainsey
Marcel Hossa

Mon:
2nd overall pick

The Bell Center with that!!!!!

Duff88 05-03-2004 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiggsFan
That clearly wouldn't do it. Eventhough he won't be the 1st overall pick in this draft, Malkin would have been the best player in most other drafts for the past 10 years. While he's still one step behind Ovechkin, I'm sure the Penguins would be willing to hear *only* offers including established (and preferably young) NHL players.

You overrate him a bit too much when saying "the best player in most other drafts for the past 10 years". Would you really take him in front of :

2003 - Fleury/Staal
2002 - Nash/Lehtonen/Bouwmeester
2001 - Kovalchuk/Spezza
2000 - Heatley/Gaborik
1998 - Lecavalier
1997 - Thornton/Marleau
1994 - Jovanovsky

The only draft where he could have gone #1 overall would have been 1999 in front of Stefan, 1996 in front of Phillips and 1995 in front of Berrard/Redden.

Traitor8 05-03-2004 07:53 PM

I don't think u understand how good Evgeny Malkin is.
He can actually be compared to Joe Thornton and Eric Lindros(BACK IN THE DAY) . This guy could truly become dominant and he is a huge center(6'4) and a franchise center.

Way I look at it:

Zednik..we can replace him ..he is a 2nd liner..50 pts past 2 yrs.we can sign a UFA.
Hossa...wtv..
Hainsey..tough but Beauchemin and Korneev are coming up.
Plekanec.He won't get a real chance with Higgins,Perezhogin,Kostsitsyn..
1st..we have to give it up..

MALKIN IS AMAZING

Traitor8 05-03-2004 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff88
You overrate him a bit too much when saying "the best player in most other drafts for the past 10 years". Would you really take him in front of :

2003 - Fleury/Staal
2002 - Nash/Lehtonen/Bouwmeester
2001 - Kovalchuk/Spezza
2000 - Heatley/Gaborik
1998 - Lecavalier
1997 - Thornton/Marleau
1994 - Jovanovsky

The only draft where he could have gone #1 overall would have been 1999 in front of Stefan, 1996 in front of Phillips and 1995 in front of Berrard/Redden.

2003-Yes
2002-Yes
2001-No
2000-Maybe
1999-Yes
1998-Maybe
1997-No..close 2nd
1996-Yes
1995-Yes

tnq 05-03-2004 08:12 PM

Quote:

What about:

Pit:
Richard Zednik
Tomas Plekanec
Ron Hainsey
Marcel Hossa

Mon:
2nd overall pick

if i was Pens' director, i will say no to Zednik. Why i have to spend 2.5 M for a 2nd line winger instead of 4 M for a franchise center.

Natural Habs Fan 05-03-2004 08:14 PM

woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... you guys are nuts :D

I say keep Hossa, Hainsey, Ribiero & Zednik and draft at #18

Freaky Habs Fan 05-03-2004 08:59 PM

Maybe a top 3 pick is out of our reach bit how about a top 10? We could land a pretty good D-Man in Thelen or a pretty good foward in Shremp, Wolsky, Stafford,...

We can easily trade Hossa and Hainsey in addition of Zednik, Bulis and maybe Ribs(but only for the right price). What would it take for a top 10 pick?

leafaholix* 05-03-2004 09:26 PM

Think about this...

Evgeny Malkin is sooooo much better then Andrei Kastsitsyn.

Urban Shakedown 05-03-2004 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Think about this...

Haha, you know what's funnier?
Malkin is better than the Leafs farm team........combined. :lol :yo:

Traitor8 05-03-2004 10:10 PM

ya Malkin is great. He could end up being as good as Thornton or Lindros just like I mentionned before.

This guy is NHL READY too and with him,Kostsitsyn,Perezhogin,Higgins,Koivu and Kovalev, our offense will look even better then the Senators one because of our better centers.

toughstuff 05-03-2004 10:32 PM

I'm starting to buy into this Malken kid. I do not know much about this kid. Can anyone describe him?

As much as I can be convinced of his attributes, I cannot see us trading the Barn to get the 3rd choice from Pits for this guy, not like another poster on another thread on this board.

Can this Malken guy come in immediately and play for the HABS?

Traitor8 05-03-2004 11:46 PM

He is a 6'4 guy who plays center. He doesn't shy from physical contact and he puts up a lot of points and goals. He plays the power game like a pure power forward. Remember how dominating and physically imposing Lindros was before his concussions? That's how Malkin is compared too. He is that good. Only reason he isn't 1st overall is because of an amazing guy like Ovechkin who is apparently better then Kovalchuk so that tells you why he isn't #1.

leafaholix* 05-03-2004 11:59 PM

Quote:

ya Malkin is great. He could end up being as good as Thornton or Lindros just like I mentionned before.

This guy is NHL READY too and with him,Kostsitsyn,Perezhogin,Higgins,Koivu and Kovalev, our offense will look even better then the Senators one because of our better centers.

Except that by the time Kastsitsyn, Higgins, and Perezhogin develop into every day NHL players, Saku Koivu will be in his mid 30's and so will Kovalev.

montreal 05-04-2004 12:38 AM

Quote:

Think about this...

How so? :shakehead

And to the other poster, Malkin isn't 6'4, I'd say he's more like 6'2, tough to say really, he's skinny and doesn't have a big frame or a lot of bulk to him.

Bob In Kitchener 05-04-2004 08:10 AM

Quote:

Except that by the time Kastsitsyn, Higgins, and Perezhogin develop into every day NHL players, Saku Koivu will be in his mid 30's and so will Kovalev.

How does next year sound? They are that close to making it.

montreal25m 05-04-2004 09:52 AM

overating the draft

I have mentioned this in past drafts, these kids are prospects, not sure things. You have no idea how they are going to turn out. You can't overpay for them. I think it is best just to take your pick unless there is an offer that makes sense. What would I offer for the 2nd pick. Not to familiar with this years draft, I know it is a weak draft. That said, I wouldn't offer anything more than our 1st pick and a Hossa+ a 2nd tier prospect like Plekanec or Beauchemin. Personnally, I would prefer to stay pack.

mcphee 05-04-2004 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
How so? :shakehead

And to the other poster, Malkin isn't 6'4, I'd say he's more like 6'2, tough to say really, he's skinny and doesn't have a big frame or a lot of bulk to him.

There you go, using logic to wreck some perfectly good hyperbole again.

Go Habs Go 05-04-2004 10:19 AM

Quote:

You don't even know what you're talking about, just leave you troll. At least check their ages before making pointless comments.

tnq 05-04-2004 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Habs Go
You don't even know what you're talking about, just leave you troll. At least check their ages before making pointless comments.

calm down buddy
he is a leaf fan and all he wants is lowball us :joker:

Habs4ever 05-04-2004 10:24 AM

Why would organization like us with so much promise change routes

in Montreal we already have unbelievable prospects waiting and about taking chances we've already done that last year with Kostitsyn, if anything two straight years of draft without season in between might even give us more bluechippers then we could absorb.