HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Has anyone ever broke a puck? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=756253)

HowToHockey 03-29-2010 08:12 AM

Has anyone ever broke a puck?
 
I had a kid claiming that his shot is so hard he can break pucks off of the crossbar...

I've played hockey since I could walk, and watched a lot of NHL hockey and have yet to see a puck break. Anyone else?

Giroux tha Damaja 03-29-2010 09:04 AM

A couple of old roller pucks, but that's a bit of a different story than a disc of vulcanized rubber. Plastic is far more brittle than even frozen rubber. Maybe he meant that he took a chunk out of it?

Did you call shenanigans on the kid?

roaddogg02316 03-29-2010 09:15 AM

I would not believe unless I saw the kid actually do it. Or at least he had the puck to show you. If its such a big deal to brag about you would think he would keep it. If he didn't then he's pulling your leg. Or maybe he did break a roller hockey puck. Only way I see a rubber hockey puck breaking is if maybe it was out of a bad batch and the molecules didn't bind together right?

Tbone54 03-29-2010 09:21 AM

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=16004444

Jarick 03-29-2010 10:06 AM

Yeah, but it was an older puck and outdoors against a frozen crossbar. I think I broke another one at the shooting range, but again, older puck that was already in rough shape.

Webernaut 03-29-2010 11:15 AM

I broke a puck a few weeks ago. I took a cannon from the point and it hit the post which split it in two. I think it has to do with warm pucks on cold surface because the rink I play at does not use frozen pucks for some ******** reason.

naturalnumbas 03-29-2010 11:49 AM

I've seen it happen on a shot once before. When the stick hit the puck, puck cracked into two pieces. A smaller piece went cartwheeling down the ice while the majority of it just slid slowly away from the shot. Just figured it was a production defect.

Grabovski 03-29-2010 11:52 AM

I was playing Shinny and took a slap shot and it went off the crossbar and the puck broke right in half. Half the puck went it and the other half didnt. :)

Giroux tha Damaja 03-29-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roaddogg02316 (Post 24795471)
I would not believe unless I saw the kid actually do it. Or at least he had the puck to show you. If its such a big deal to brag about you would think he would keep it. If he didn't then he's pulling your leg. Or maybe he did break a roller hockey puck. Only way I see a rubber hockey puck breaking is if maybe it was out of a bad batch and the molecules didn't bind together right?

If for some reason that batch was made of poorly vulcanized rubber, then you might be on to something. If they used way too much or way to little sulfur (or whatever cross linking agent they used), then they could have the rubber polymers connected at too many or too few sites. Which could effect the ability of the puck to absorb impact in different ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanization


Quote:

Originally Posted by Webernaut (Post 24796637)
I broke a puck a few weeks ago. I took a cannon from the point and it hit the post which split it in two. I think it has to do with warm pucks on cold surface because the rink I play at does not use frozen pucks for some ******** reason.

The only thing that I can imagine is that as rubber freezes, the molecular structure gets more rigid and it's elasticity decreases........so perhaps when your puck hit the cross bar, there was a relatively brittle, frozen outer layer that cracked as the inside of the puck deformed under impact, and the resulting crack just went through the whole puck. This would happen if the puck had been in the ice long enough to only freeze on the outer surface... A puck that was frozen solidly through wouldn't deform as much under impact, so you just end up leaving patches of rubber, rubbed off on the crossbar (puck marks).

Also, if the puck hit a skate blade and got a chunk taken out of it that could really make it easier t split if it hit the cross bar just right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 (Post 24797137)
I was playing Shinny and took a slap shot and it went off the crossbar and the puck broke right in half. Half the puck went it and the other half didnt. :)

Did they give you half a goal?

Webernaut 03-29-2010 12:13 PM

Wow thanks for the insight there.

Pog Form 03-29-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 (Post 24797137)
I was playing Shinny and took a slap shot and it went off the crossbar and the puck broke right in half. Half the puck went it and the other half didnt. :)

No goal!

MoonlightGraham 03-29-2010 12:48 PM

I broke a puck off the post once on an outdoor rink. Split it down the middle. My wrist shot isn't terrible but obviously it's nowhere near any sort of competitive level, so I guess it could happen to anyone.

Dreakmur 03-29-2010 01:08 PM

Pucks break because they are damaged or flawed, not because they are hit hard.

Hockeyfan68 03-29-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavboyz (Post 24795112)
I had a kid claiming that his shot is so hard he can break pucks off of the crossbar...

I've played hockey since I could walk, and watched a lot of NHL hockey and have yet to see a puck break. Anyone else?

I've broken a couple .... I have one in my puck collection in my game room. Each one was from hitting the post squarely and were both slapshots.

Also they were both on outdoor ice and very very cold out using regulation indoor goalcages, not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

I can post a picture of the puck if you need it, just holler. Both were quality pucks and not cheapies, may have been flawed but I am used to pieces of pucks breaking off when my shots hit the posts. Most of the time it is just a small chunk on the edge that comes off without splitting in half.

I remember Gord Kluzak, former Bruin Dman and now commentator discussing a friend of his growing up broke one on the post and he said that guy had one of the hardest shots he has seen. he also commented that it was very cold.

Seanconn* 03-29-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 (Post 24797137)
I was playing Shinny and took a slap shot and it went off the crossbar and the puck broke right in half. Half the puck went it and the other half didnt. :)

haha I wonder what the official ruling would be on that if that were to happen in the NHL... crazy!! :handclap:

massivegoonery 03-29-2010 10:13 PM

Entire puck needs to cross the line, right? So no goal, I guess.

DogFoodEnforcer 03-30-2010 05:08 PM

one of my buddies (who i play stick and puck with regularly) split a puck one session. he's a big guy, and plays at a pretty high level.

i think the puck was in bad condition anyways, but my buddy took a slapshot and the thing split in two. one half ended up in the net, the other half made it roughly halfway to the net.lol

MNWild9 03-31-2010 10:50 AM

ive broke a few pucks in my days but then it was about -20 out and so it made the puck weaker. the reason why it doesn't happen in the nhl is that they change pucks when they get the chance.

woodford 03-31-2010 01:14 PM

When I was younger and playing minor hockey, they cheaped out and bought a back load of pucks from Czechoslovakia. The entire box had to be junked.

I was on my post after someone dumped a puck in from the blue line, as it hit the bottom part of the boards it exploded.

Some kid took a piece in the eye after someone took a slap shot from close range.

That's my experience with broken pucks.

HowToHockey 03-31-2010 11:27 PM

Haha this is some good stuff, I never knew it was this common. Maybe a broken puck is like a hole in one in golf, it doesn't happen often but when it does you remember it!

It seems like most of them split right in half!

I would like to see a clip of when it happened in the NHL, surprised there isnt a video of that.

Hrad 03-31-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodford (Post 24841858)
When I was younger and playing minor hockey, they cheaped out and bought a back load of pucks from Czechoslovakia. The entire box had to be junked.

I was on my post after someone dumped a puck in from the blue line, as it hit the bottom part of the boards it exploded.

Some kid took a piece in the eye after someone took a slap shot from close range.

That's my experience with broken pucks.

Actually, Slovakia is renowned for their high quality pucks, what do they use in the NHL? Pucks made in Slovakia.

kr580 03-31-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavboyz (Post 24855071)
I would like to see a clip of when it happened in the NHL, surprised there isnt a video of that.

As someone posted in the Doan thread:
http://www.neuroticnerd.com/capitals/

Click the left arrow to go to October 2008 and click "October 23, 2008 -- 1-2 loss in Phoenix". 2:12 into the video they show the split puck.

roadtoglory 04-01-2010 12:05 AM

I can honestly say I broke a puck right in half, I still have it too.

I was shooting outdoors, it was frozen like -25c. shot it off the post and bam. I was so proud of myself but no one saw it. No question in my mind if it wasn't so cold I would have never broken it.

Durbo20vT 04-01-2010 11:49 AM

Only real puck I've broken was an older one off the post in Freezing temps on the pond.

I have broken off a piece of one of the lightened pucks (for mite level), and even that was not completely in half.
http://www.hockeyx.com/hockey/assets...KIPGFHEEOt.jpg

tarheelhockey 04-01-2010 11:53 AM

Sometimes, just for fun, I'll take a shot so hard the puck melts in mid-air and splashes against the crossbar. But I don't do it in front of people because I get nervous.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.