HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Lower back pain (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=756262)

sirpipsalot 03-29-2010 08:22 AM

Lower back pain

The last bunch of times I've played indoors i have had issues with my lower back cramping up and making it very hard to skate. I've tried stretching and eating a banana and a bunch of other little things. The weird part about it is when i play outdoors i can feel it getting tight, but it normally goes away after a while. I figured it's because im not skating nearly as hard as when we have a indoor game.

So, are there any possible solutions? I have been doing squats and dead lifts lately to try to strengthen myself, but i always leave at least 3 days of rest between workouts and playing.

izzy3 03-29-2010 09:56 AM

Are you drinking enough water? Indoors might be a bit warmer, you sweating more might mean you dehydrate faster.

stick9 03-29-2010 10:05 AM

Five bucks says it's your stance. Sounds like you are leaning too far forward putting added stress on our lower back.

noobman 03-29-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick9 (Post 24796519)
Five bucks says it's your stance. Sounds like you are leaning too far forward putting added stress on our lower back.

My guess would also be bad posture.

Webernaut 03-29-2010 10:14 AM

Frankenstein Syndrome. Flex them knees and get in an athletic position. Totally a posture issue.

sirpipsalot 03-29-2010 10:54 AM

Hmmm ok. I will focus on that a bit more. I switched this year from CCMs to X40s, and i heard they have a higher heel lift. That makes sense. Could it be a issue with the cheap insoles? Once my back starts cramping it's impossible to stay lower as the natural reaction is to stand up.

stick9 03-29-2010 11:03 AM

It could be the heel lift. The lift will out you more on toes, if this something you aren't used to you may be compensating for it unknowingly. You can have your blades profiled to put you back in a more neutral position.

For the time being, keep stretching it out and work on your core strength, especially your abs.

DarrenBanks56 03-31-2010 06:44 AM

Im guessing its your stance.

I dont know if this will help you, but I was having the same issue, and then I went to stick about a couple inches longer and I havent had back problems since.

sirpipsalot 03-31-2010 11:42 AM

Interesting. I already have a stick that is up to the bridge of my nose with skates on so that won't work. :laugh:

What puzzles me though is like i said, skating outdoors, where its much more laid back and more floating, i don't have problems. But indoors where i got 100% for a couple of minutes, i get cramped up. Basically outdoor - standing around, indoor - skating hard. I guess ill have to try to bend my knees more.

doobie604 03-31-2010 12:46 PM

my chiro told me to stretch it out after every game. just sit on the bench with your feet spread apart and and bring your body towards your legs... do that few times and each time a good 30sec or so. it actually did help a bit for me.

StrykerB 03-31-2010 03:30 PM

Start doing seated cable rows at the gym