HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Berger: On Air Canada, German Flight attendants, and Black cab drivers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=756314)

glucker 03-29-2010 10:56 AM

On Air Canada, German Flight attendants, and Black cab drivers

Berger shares his thoughts on Sunday.

Quote:

PITTSBURGH (Mar. 29) — I knew something was unusual on Sunday morning as soon as I entered Pearson International Airport in Toronto.

As many of you know, I haven’t been attending quite as many Maple Leafs road games this season, as a result of budgetary restraints at THE FAN-590. Though I’ve missed the routine I had for the previous 17 NHL campaigns – and the competitive edge that went with it – I enjoyed the additional time at home with my family, and absolutely did not miss the crazed travel scene that has almost always, for reasons unexplained, been more pronounced at Pearson. Toronto’s airport is easily the most “unfriendly” of its kind on the NHL circuit, with no comparison to be made between it and the other large facilities in Canada [Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver].

Interminably, Pearson has been a haven for snooty, ill-tempered employees – not all, but many – and it’s a fact of life you learn to roll with as a frequent traveler based in southern Ontario. Frankly, way too many people work there, with not enough jobs to handle. As such, overkill is limitless. At no airport I’ve been to, for example, will you routinely witness 85-year-old grandmothers – incapacitated without a walker – undergoing full-body searches and security pat-downs. The stem of a reporter’s microphone is automatically considered to be a weapon of mass destruction until a physical bag-search is completed [even though, as I’ve been shown at other airports, a microphone looks almost identical under X-ray as it does in one’s hand]. Though most U.S. customs officials are friendly, informative and professional, Pearson has a larger per-capita allotment of power-thirsty demons looking to inconvenience you with the most banal concerns.

But, something was different even for Pearson on Sunday morning. It’s as if the airport was suddenly under Martial Law; the sort of lock-down travelers experience after a botched terrorist attempt somewhere in the world (such as the one last Christmas). Passengers couldn’t walk 10 feet without an “official” perusing the size of their checked and/or carry-on baggage. Children were being told to point out their parents. Whereas I am normally asked to twice show my boarding pass – at the entrance to customs, and then security – there were five requests this time, including two in the customs line-up and one before proceeding to the gate. For the first time in my experience, passengers had to ask permission to use the elevator to the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge on the fourth floor of Terminal One. Hordes of people were being sent by customs officers to ante rooms for secondary searches.

Continued ..........

Can’t wait!

E-mail howardlberger@gmail.com
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=27290

That's right, not a single mention of the fact that the Leafs played a game on Sunday.

MOD EDIT : Copyright rules prevent the posting of full articles.

ACC1224 03-29-2010 10:59 AM

Then why post it.....who cares?

Four1 Lead 03-29-2010 11:00 AM

He sounds like an absolute **** head.

Jordan 03-29-2010 11:09 AM

So what? I don't think he ever tried to hide the fact that this was a column about his travel experience.

Autologic 03-29-2010 11:10 AM

“You’re bombarding me with information,” she snapped. “Just go and sit down.”

Wilson should hire this flight attendant to filter his post game interview questions.

Hurt 03-29-2010 11:13 AM

That's hilarious

BrentZ10 03-29-2010 11:14 AM

I bet Wilson had this article framed and is hanging it up in his office as we speak.

Daisy Joy 03-29-2010 11:21 AM

well, as they say, good things happen to good people.... :D

smoke meat pete* 03-29-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

“Don’t you think this could have been avoided if the company properly maintained its aircraft?” I asked with feigned innocence, knowing I was waving the red cape.
Berger is an idiot!

Quote:

“Um, that’s kind of an unpleasant odor,” I politely said, poking my head between the seats.
I remeber in high school, some nerdy kid trying to act cool around the cool kids. A class clown with no class.

Quote:

There, before my eyes, was a badly soiled pair of men’s underwear… presumably from the guest that had the room prior to me.
Ron Wilson knew where Berger was staying. Left him a gift.

Tombernack 03-29-2010 11:49 AM

Too bad she didn't give him an open hander across the face.

Transplanted Caper 03-29-2010 11:54 AM

I'll never understand the logic in people proclaming to hate certain writers, but reading them each and every time they write something.

smoke meat pete* 03-29-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper (Post 24798054)
I'll never understand the logic in people proclaming to hate certain writers, but reading them each and every time they write something.

Logic? Me know not what word means?

mikeo1 03-29-2010 12:07 PM

Too long, stopped reading 1/4 through.

Whats so special about this blog post?

Tombernack 03-29-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeo1 (Post 24798298)
Too long, stopped reading 1/4 through.

Whats so special about this blog post?

The title says it all. Bergers a racist :sarcasm:

Belak Attack 03-29-2010 12:21 PM

Why do people read his stuff, again?

67Cup 03-29-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombernack (Post 24798507)
The title says it all. Bergers a racist :sarcasm:

To be fair to Berger; the title is by the OP not Berger himself. He is certainly self important, probably a bit of an idiot but there is no particular reason to assume he is racist.

Stats01 03-29-2010 12:36 PM

Wow.... WTF is up with this guy. To write an article about these people or any kind of day in your life to me just reeks of being self absorbing, like any of us really give a **** about how bad your day was, I surely don't. His job is about writing about hockey nothing else, these random blogs he puts up is really mind boggling, no wonder the FAN has cut down on the games he goes to, cause HE NEVER TALKS ABOUT THEM! You would think after a hard fought OT loss to the defending stanley cup champions it would be pretty easy to write up a nice post game blog, but not for Berger, he rather tell the world how bad his day went at Pearson....

I read the blog, and this guy has lacked any kind of class or professionalism for a long time, I've been wanting a new Leaf reporter for the fan for a while now. I'm embarassed he reports and writes for the Leafs. I'm shocked that he continually spews off this garbage and is still employed by anyone.

I am actually a journalism student and my dream was always been to play for the Leafs, obviously as time went on I had to find a new way to get involved in hockey or with the Leafs and thats where writing came in to play. My dream now is to become a Leaf reporter in the future after I get my degree, and I know for a fact that there are a tonne of inspiring reporters out there who would do anything for the opprotunity Berger has, and he takes it for granted. The fan 590 IMO need to start looking for his replacement, he shows no signs of passion to his job in my eyes, and hopefully in a couple of years I can get my foot in the door...for everyone's sake lol ;).

Jatt 03-29-2010 12:39 PM

I wonder if Jerome Iginla or George Laraque are amused at the cab driver story.

Tombernack 03-29-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Cup (Post 24798683)
To be fair to Berger; the title is by the OP not Berger himself. He is certainly self important, probably a bit of an idiot but there is no particular reason to assume he is racist.

lol you're right, not fair at all to him, but it was my first thought when I saw the thread name.

I guess he doesn't know what to write when the Leafs are playing well? If we lose in regulation next game, he'll write another piece on the Kessel deal and how much smarter he is than Burke. But as long as we're playing well, he's got nothing.

LC 03-29-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jatt (Post 24798828)
I wonder if Jerome Iginla or George Laraque are amused at the cab driver story.

They would probably beat him up for being so racist:sarcasm:

Hurt 03-29-2010 01:04 PM

The part about the Cab driver was unnecessary but if the attendant was as bad as he says, she shouldn't have a job.

Stats01 03-29-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Th4thurt (Post 24799236)
The part about the Cab driver was unnecessary but if the attendant was as bad as he says, she shouldn't have a job.

The whole blog was unnecessary. I wonder how the FAN feels when they go to him and say yeah so let's look at the latest blog you have up about the Pittsburgh game. They look at it....and they see that....it has nothing to do with the game. It's a waste of space and probably a waste of money on the FAN for paying him to go to Pittsburgh on their dime and then come back with absolutely NO SUBSTANCE about the actual game. You start to really to get the idea of why he doesn't go to many games now.

Also, if someone is eatting something no matter if she's a flight attendant or whatever, how rude is it to stick your head in between the seats and say *Yeah thats a pretty bad odour * I would've told him to get his face back and shut up, if she wants to eat tuna than she can, he sounds like a little kid.

Personally I don't like the smell of some different types of cultural food, but does that give me the right to go up to them and say * hey can you stop eatting that, it smells bad. Like this whole blog iritates me to no end.

DoctorPayne 03-29-2010 02:09 PM

This article is definitive proof that Howard Berger is the greatest IRL troll in history. Seriously, read some of this stuff:

Quote:

I figured I’d throw a little dart her way. “Don’t you think this could have been avoided if the company properly maintained its aircraft?”
Oh **** son, you really NAILED her there! After all, she's totally the one that's out there maintaining the planes, making sure that they're all ready to ferry "important people" such as yourself to exotic locations like Pittsburgh, where Ron Wilson and the rest of the Leafs get to pretend for the hour you spend in their locker room that they don't think you're an ugly, smelly, untalented little gremlin.

Quote:

I passed the time wonderfully, however, by reminiscing with Trottier about his years playing for the great Islander teams of the 1980s that won four consecutive Stanley Cups. He talked about skating alongside his prolific line-mate, Mike Bossy, and squaring off against the other top centre-men of his era – Bobby Clarke, Phil Esposito, Gilbert Perreault, Jacques Lemaire, Darryl Sittler, and others. It was a terrific conversation with one of the best players in the history of the NHL.
I'm betting that Bryan Trottier would rather have jumped into the propeller than be stuck with this little imp beside him, pestering him for stories he's probably told HUNDREDS of times.

Quote:

Waving at the driver – a large black man – I expected him to exit the vehicle and help load my bags into the trunk.
Oh, the humanity! Poor Howard, unable to LIFT HIS OWN BAGS, didn't get the requisite help from a "black man" - I thought that they were supposed to do all the physical labour for white folks, and add a friendly "yes massa!" at the end! Jesus, does this ****ing moron live in the 1820s or something?

This whole article is really unbelievable. Luckily for him, Hockey Buzz has no standards whatsoever; if this idiot published this anywhere else, he'd be out of a job by the next day.

Stats01 03-29-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorPayne (Post 24800391)
This article is definitive proof that Howard Berger is the greatest IRL troll in history. Seriously, read some of this stuff:

Oh **** son, you really NAILED her there! After all, she's totally the one that's out there maintaining the planes, making sure that they're all ready to ferry "important people" such as yourself to exotic locations like Pittsburgh, where Ron Wilson and the rest of the Leafs get to pretend for the hour you spend in their locker room that they don't think you're an ugly, smelly, untalented little gremlin.

I'm betting that Bryan Trottier would rather have jumped into the propeller than be stuck with this little imp beside him, pestering him for stories he's probably told HUNDREDS of times.

Oh, the humanity! Poor Howard, unable to LIFT HIS OWN BAGS, didn't get the requisite help from a "black man" - I thought that they were supposed to do all the physical labour for white folks, and add a friendly "yes massa!" at the end! Jesus, does this ****ing moron live in the 1820s or something?

This whole article is really unbelievable. Luckily for him, Hockey Buzz has no standards whatsoever; if this idiot published this anywhere else, he'd be out of a job by the next day.

Doesn't his articles get published on both hockeybuzz and the FAN 590? Anyway he's just a moron who has no perception of class or character. He definitely has a racist tone to this article which is pretty sad. He needs to grow up and look at the situation. He's a reporter for one of if not the most popular hockey team in the world. Writing this kind of garbage is not acceptable.

Mess 03-29-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Th4thurt (Post 24799236)

The thread itself is of little value overall.

Not Leaf related and thus OT and much to do about nothing.

Closed before it gets into trouble.