HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   NHL's partnership with women's hockey? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=756515)

Marc08 03-29-2010 06:57 PM

NHL's partnership with women's hockey?

Sami-Jo Small, the two-time Olympic champion, comes up with an idea on developing women's hockey. A women's professional hockey league.

The league would like to start paying coaches and general managers and has earmarked $35,000 for every player. Assuming it's a 20-30 game schedule. Average attendance for each hockey game, 500-1000 people

Six teams all within driving distance. I would say Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, New York, Ottawa, and maybe Buffalo.

It'll be awesome if NHL allow female players to wear NHL jerseys in their respective NHL teams (above)

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...0Pg-z-aZ2iUlVQ

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...velopment.html

Your thoughts? Can it be done?

Hamilton Tigers 03-29-2010 07:18 PM

Depends on the ticket prices I suppose.

Women's hockey would be good for aspiring girls to go see.

BigMac1212 03-29-2010 07:19 PM

It's about time the ladies have professional leagues of their own.

I voted yes.

Jonas1235 03-29-2010 07:34 PM

The only way I would support this is if 50% of the players are from outside of North America.

Canada and the USA are already too good for the rest of the world. If they had their own league with a small number of imports, it would only get worse.

Badger36 03-29-2010 11:34 PM

I think its time for women to have a pro league, but I dont see the NHL getting on board with it.
There just isnt enough money to be made in womens' hockey for the NHL to want in on it.

Jeffrey93 03-30-2010 12:21 AM

If it made business sense to have a women's pro hockey league it would happen by itself. I don't want to see a male pro league subsidizing a women's league.

As another poster said....women's hockey in Canada & the US is already strong enough for international competition. If North American women get better and the rest of the world doesn't....this sport will be booted from the Winter Olympics after 2014. Which no women hockey players should want.

kdb209 03-30-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 (Post 24812656)
If it made business sense to have a women's pro hockey league it would happen by itself. I don't want to see a male pro league subsidizing a women's league.

Unfortunately the ABL vs WNBA showed otherwise.

The ABL which did it "right" and tried to grow an independent league failed.

The WNBA which was basically an appendage of the NBA has "thrived" (relatively speaking). Originally, all teams were affiliated with and owned by an NBA team and played in that teams arena. Over time 8 of 12 teas were sold to third party independent owners. Three teams now are in non-NBA markets - two moved, one had their NBA franchise move (Seattle).

For a "WNHL" to have any chance of success (in the US at least) there would have to be a partnership with the NHL - similar to the start of the WNBA - affiliating with NHL teams, but not using their names/logos.

An unaffiliated Women's league could maybe survive in Canada - although the current incarnation the, Canadian Womens Hockey League (CWHL), is a non profit that relies on donations and corporate support.

edit: Small is not the only Olympian interested in developing a pro league.
Mod: deleted.

Jeffrey93 03-30-2010 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 24812991)
Unfortunately the ABL vs WNBA showed otherwise.

The ABL which did it "right" and tried to grow an independent league failed.

The WNBA which was basically an appendage of the NBA has "thrived" (relatively speaking). Originally, all teams were affiliated with and owned by an NBA team and played in that teams arena. Over time 8 of 12 teas were sold to third party independent owners. Three teams now are in non-NBA markets - two moved, one had their NBA franchise move (Seattle).

For a "WNHL" to have any chance of success (in the US at least) there would have to be a partnership with the NHL - similar to the start of the WNBA - affiliating with NHL teams, but not using their names/logos.

An unaffiliated Women's league could maybe survive in Canada - although the current incarnation the, Canadian Womens Hockey League (CWHL), is a non profit that relies on donations and corporate support.

edit: Small is not the only Olympian interested in developing a pro league.

I fail to see the benefit this would provide to the NHL. What was the reasoning behind the NBA partnering with the WNBA? Is it believed that a women's version of the sport would eventually attract female fans to the men's version?

Because you have two problems with that, if that is the reasoning,.....1) Canadian NHL teams don't need to try to lure women in as fans through a "WNHL"...and 2) the NHL in a good chunk of the states can't lure male fans in....so trying to go after the female fan is putting the cart before the horse.

I think the NHL should be getting it's own house in order before partnering up with a women's league.

Noldo 03-30-2010 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 (Post 24813501)
I fail to see the benefit this would provide to the NHL. What was the reasoning behind the NBA partnering with the WNBA? Is it believed that a women's version of the sport would eventually attract female fans to the men's version?

Because you have two problems with that, if that is the reasoning,.....1) Canadian NHL teams don't need to try to lure women in as fans through a "WNHL"...and 2) the NHL in a good chunk of the states can't lure male fans in....so trying to go after the female fan is putting the cart before the horse.

I think the NHL should be getting it's own house in order before partnering up with a women's league.

Actually, if I remember correctly, NHL already has the highest portion of female fans out of all major leagues (although the raw numbers are probably still behind at least NFL and MLB). Which in turn is quite strange, since hockey is generally seen extremely masculine sport.

I would argue that trying to lure more female fans would actually be extremely wise strategy for NHL, provided that they would come up with successful means to promote hockey to women. There could well be more untapped potential in female sports fans and getting them interested in hockey could be easier than trying to get male sports fans converted from another sport.

Hermit Wizard Eater 03-30-2010 05:11 AM

There's no way that the NHL would. It degrades their image.

Either way, female players should NOT get paid 35k for 20 games.

They are far inferior athletes to even the worst OHLers, and OHLers don't get anywhere near that per game.

yukoner88 03-30-2010 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater (Post 24813939)

They are far inferior athletes to even the worst OHLers, and OHLers don't get anywhere near that per game.

How would support a womens hockey league degrade the NHL's image exactly?

And what would be wrong with women being paid small wages for playing hockey? With a pro league for the best women hockey players it gives young girls something more to aspire too when they get older. How is that a bad thing?

eliostar 03-30-2010 07:28 AM

It would never work, there is little interest in womens hockey.

Badger36 03-30-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliostar (Post 24814427)
It would never work, there is little interest in womens hockey.

Exactly. Here in Madison they fill the Kohl Center for every mens' game (average attendance of about 15,000), but they practically give away tickets to the womens' games and they still cant find people to show up for the game (average attendance is about 2,000).
I think womens' hockey is a great thing, but it doesnt exactly draw a big crowd and isnt a huge moneymaker.
Perhaps if they allowed checking womens' hockey would be more popular, but as of right now that isnt the case.
Id love to see pro womens' hockey take off, but I just dont see it happening. Especially in today's economy where people are watching their spending, I just dont see the NHL or very many cities taking a chance on womens' hockey.

Confucius 03-30-2010 05:03 PM

yeah sure, I think it would be alright. Being nostalgic, I'd like to see them play in the original 6 cities.

Blackhawkswincup 03-30-2010 05:21 PM

Women's NHL?

The NBA lost tons of money proping up it's joke female league. I have no desire to see the NHL do that

Hell the best team in WNBA history is being relocated shortly after a championship and another team folded

Women playing sports = Not worth my money

Turboflex* 03-30-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater (Post 24813939)

EXACTLY, this idea is nonsense.

Who would watch this let alone pay good money when there's lots of pro (AHL/ECHL), junior, and university (NCAA/CIS) hockey around thats way better than women's hockey?? Hell even midget A is better than women's hockey.

Marc08 03-30-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turboflex (Post 24824705)
EXACTLY, this idea is nonsense.

Who would watch this let alone pay good money when there's lots of pro (AHL/ECHL), junior, and university (NCAA/CIS) hockey around thats way better than women's hockey?? Hell even midget A is better than women's hockey.

If body checking is allow in women's hockey, will it be better than midget A?

Turboflex* 03-30-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc08 (Post 24824778)
If body checking is allow in women's hockey, will it be better than midget A?

USA/Canada national teams play midget A teams for their practice, so arguably not.

Marc08 03-30-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turboflex (Post 24825235)
USA/Canada national teams play midget A teams for their practice, so arguably not.

So is that mean body checks were allowed in those friendly games? between national teams and midget A teams? Even major body checks allow in those games?

Marc08 03-30-2010 07:14 PM

Here is a question for everyone. In your opinion, which women's professional league is successful? There is no right or wrong for this question.

1) Handball - Danish Women's Handball League (Denmark) (1935-present)
2) Soccer - FA Women's Premier League (England) (1992-present)
3) Basketball - Women's National Basketball Association (1997-present)
4) Baseball - Australia Women's Championships (1999-present)
5) American football - Women's Professional Football League (1999-07)
6) American football - Women's National Football Association (2001-08)
7) Softball - National Pro Fastpitch (2004-present)
8) Basketball - Women's Professional Basketball League (1978-81)
9) Soccer - Women's Professional Soccer (2009-present)
10) American football - Women's Football Alliance (2009-present)

Future women's leagues:
American football - Premier Women Football League (Set to play in 2010)
American football - Women's Spring Football League (Set to play in 2010)

Badger36 03-30-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc08 (Post 24827414)
Here is a question for everyone. In your opinion, which women's professional league is successful? There is no right or wrong for this question.

1) Handball - Danish Women's Handball League (Denmark) (1935-present)
2) Soccer - FA Women's Premier League (England) (1992-present)
3) Basketball - Women's National Basketball Association (1997-present)
4) Baseball - Australia Women's Championships (1999-present)
5) American football - Women's Professional Football League (1999-07)
6) American football - Women's National Football Association (2001-08)
7) Softball - National Pro Fastpitch (2004-present)
8) Basketball - Women's Professional Basketball League (1978-81)
9) Soccer - Women's Professional Soccer (2009-present)
10) American football - Women's Football Alliance (2009-present)

Future women's leagues:
American football - Premier Women Football League (Set to play in 2010)
American football - Women's Spring Football League (Set to play in 2010)

None of the above.

Crazy_Ike 03-31-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 24824576)
Women's NHL?

The NBA lost tons of money proping up it's joke female league. I have no desire to see the NHL do that

This. Not to diminish the efforts of female hockey players, but it just isn't high enough quality right now to be worth it for the NHL to look into.

What is the actual relative talent level of women's hockey in Canada? They play bantam teams during their season, yes?

Mayor Bee 03-31-2010 08:58 PM

The only way for it to work would be to fall under the NHL umbrella and be heavily subsidized in some way, shape, or form.

One of the women's pro football leagues tried to go a similar route and have a decent salary; to cover those, tickets were $25 apiece. Given the choice between watching an NFL game for $40, a college game for anywhere from $5-100, a high school game for $5-8, or a women's pro game for $25, which is going to win out?

Marc08 04-02-2010 10:37 PM

what kind of sport do you want to watch, National Lacrosse League (NLL) or women's hockey?

Vrain 04-02-2010 11:03 PM

If there is a women's league it should be in Europe to help grow the game there. Anything in North America would just expand the gap betwen Canada/USA and the rest of the world. A women's league in Europe should help those nations grow the sport to the level where they can compete with the top 2.