HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New Jersey Devils (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   News Article: Lou Article on Kovy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=756641)

Unknown Caller 03-30-2010 12:15 AM

Lou Article on Kovy

http://http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/03/ilya_kovalchuk_named_nhl_star.html

As usual, Lou reveals pretty much nothing. The only things he says that makes me think he won't re-sign Kovy is:

Quote:

knowing that David Clarkson and Paul Martin would be coming back, then we made the decision to go after and try to acquire Kovalchuk," Lamoriello said.
"That was for the reason that you have a chance (to win the Stanley Cup)..."I try and let the fans and the media not get in the way of doing what the right thing is," Lamoriello said, dancing around the question of whether he thinks he can keep Kovalchuk. "And right now our focus as a team is to be the best prepared for the playoffs and not worry about anything other than getting ready for that.
He also compliments Kovy in the article a lot, so who knows. Enjoy.

MountainGoat 03-30-2010 12:33 AM

let's see how he does in the playoffs first

Darius Dangleaitis 03-30-2010 12:53 AM

I think he'll try, but there are too many bogus contracts in our way and we need to up Zach's number by at least double come next summer.

åboriginal 03-30-2010 12:59 AM

hes not going anywhere else.

mmajeski06 03-30-2010 01:02 AM

I hope he stays. Want to get a Kovy throwback jersey.

Saugus 03-30-2010 01:04 AM

I like what Lou is saying about Kovalchuk. Makes me think he will try his best to keep Kovy. And Lou usually gets what he wants.

We'll see. A lot depends on our team's performance, and Kovy's individual performance in the playoffs.

Darius Dangleaitis 03-30-2010 01:32 AM

Obviously winning is going to come first with Ilya; he made that clear when he turned down that glutenous offer from the Trash.

Would not surprise me if he took a discount to stay.

Saugus 03-30-2010 01:35 AM

I don't see him taking a discount to stay, but I also don't think he is looking for a max contract, which he must know is completely unreasonable.

Crimson Devil* 03-30-2010 01:36 AM

Seriously had an inner battle with my demons on whether or not to buy an IK17 jersey today.

So far, the demons have won, and I haven't placed the order, but a lot can change in 10 minutes...

By the way, Unknown Caller, link in the first post has one two many "http://".

MJB Devils23* 03-30-2010 01:41 AM

Please stay!

MJB Devils23* 03-30-2010 01:59 AM

Kovy has 20 points in 20 games (8 goals, 12 assists). That spans out to be 32 goals, 50 assists through 82 games. Kovy himself appears to be fine.

But in those 20 games, the team has average 2.85 goals for per game which is good. But they've also averaged 2.85 goals against per game.

We have a 9-8-3 record since the trade. And we have a 7-5-2 record since the break.

The inconsistency from this team needs to stop! But all that matters is how we do in the playoffs.

Crimson Devil* 03-30-2010 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Korean Kid 23 (Post 24813043)
Kovy has 20 points in 20 games (8 goals, 12 assists). That spans out to be 32 goals, 50 assists through 82 games. Kovy himself appears to be fine.

But in those 20 games, the team has average 2.85 goals for per game which is good. But they've also averaged 2.85 goals against per game.

We have a 9-8-3 record since the trade. And we have a 7-5-2 record since the break.

The inconsistency from this team needs to stop! But all that matters is how we do in the playoffs.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8697/kovy.png

I'd say a year like this isn't out of the question for next season, should we resign him.

Though, ignore Getzlaf on the Devils. :sarcasm: He's on my top line with Parise and Langenbrunner anyway.

Unknown Caller 03-30-2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Devil (Post 24813134)
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8697/kovy.png

I'd say a year like this isn't out of the question for next season, should we resign him.

Though, ignore Getzlaf on the Devils. :sarcasm: He's on my top line with Parise and Langenbrunner anyway.

What is that screenshot from?

I also tried to change the http's in my original link but it looks like there are still two there. :dunno:

Crimson Devil* 03-30-2010 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknown Caller (Post 24813184)
What is that screenshot from?

I also tried to change the http's in my original link but it looks like there are still two there. :dunno:

NHL 2004. My personal favourite sports game, just has updated rosters. :laugh:

Unknown Caller 03-30-2010 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Devil (Post 24813196)
NHL 2004. My personal favourite sports game, just has updated rosters. :laugh:

NHL 2004 has ESPN featured?

Crimson Devil* 03-30-2010 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknown Caller (Post 24813223)
NHL 2004 has ESPN featured?

Nah, it's not the default skin, it's just one that the people that worked on the game like using. There's an NHL.com one as well but I don't like it as much.

MJB Devils23* 03-30-2010 02:38 AM

I'm so confused........

Devilswiss 03-30-2010 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Devil (Post 24813134)

Nice, I play with Parise-Elias-Langs, Kovy-Zajac-Zubrus in NHL 10
In 78 games Kovy has only terrible 70 goals, damn I hate him! (Parise: 37)

Brooklyndevil 03-30-2010 09:41 AM

This is the status quo for Lou, say a lot, but give nothing away. But, we all need to be realistic, if Kovy wants more then $8 million, he's gone. I'm not even sure Lou gives him that much, unless Vanderbeek decides that he's not only good for the team, but also good for selling seats.

But even than, with Martin and Clarkson needing to be re-signed and what Kovy get's, you can't forget about the Parise factor, who would have to get something simliar to what the Devils pay Kovy. Just not sure it's prudent or even possible cap wise. I just hope the guy helps us win a cup and whatever happens, happens and if he leaves, at least we'll have a cup to soften his departure.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* 03-30-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil (Post 24815066)
This is the status quo for Lou, say a lot, but give nothing away. But, we all need to be realistic, if Kovy wants more then $8 million, he's gone. I'm not even sure Lou gives him that much, unless Vanderbeek decides that he's not only good for the team, but also good for selling seats.

But even than, with Martin and Clarkson needing to be re-signed and what Kovy get's, you can't forget about the Parise factor, who would have to get something simliar to what the Devils pay Kovy. Just not sure it's prudent or even possible cap wise. I just hope the guy helps us win a cup and whatever happens, happens and if he leaves, at least we'll have a cup to soften his departure.

I can guarantee you that if LL wants IK on his team next year, he has his accountants crunching #'s in order to fit him under the cap. I also think that our owner will throw $$$ his way cause I think that the attendance has been a real success with IK on our team and with a brand new arena, he'll want to fill the seats and what better way to do that than signing a stud like Kovalchuk.

Having Parise and Kovalchuk locked up long term, we would have one of the sickest one-two punch in the league with Gino-Crosby, Jumbo Joe-Heatley and Datsyuk-Zetterberg.

Mr Bojanglez 03-30-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil (Post 24815066)

Pretty much nailed it there. My dad compared him to Richer... in the level of excitement he brings whenever he touches the puck. The home crowds haven't really been that excited for one player since him.

And that's a tough sell (fitting everyone in). Can we expect Martin and Clarkson to take discounts? Would it even be enough?

My pipe dream is Kovy $7-$7.5m for 2 years.

holikwillfindyou 03-30-2010 09:51 AM

if the man wins a cup with us, he will surely stay

Mr Bojanglez 03-30-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou (Post 24815185)
if the man wins a cup with us, he will surely stay

Claude Lemieux

Classic Devil 03-30-2010 09:56 AM

I'm just enjoying having him on the team. Even if he leaves, so long as he doesn't go to the Rangers, I'll be a fan for the rest of his career.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* 03-30-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez (Post 24815159)
Pretty much nailed it there. My dad compared him to Richer... in the level of excitement he brings whenever he touches the puck. The home crowds haven't really been that excited for one player since him.

And that's a tough sell (fitting everyone in). Can we expect Martin and Clarkson to take discounts? Would it even be enough?

My pipe dream is Kovy $7-$7.5m for 2 years.

We should take advantage of that loophole in teh CBA just like the Flyers and Hawks did with Pronger and Keith. Sign the kid to a 13 year deal, front loaded contract and do the same with Parise.

Can you imagine a offense with the likes of Parise, Kovalchuk, Zajac, Tedenby, Josefson and Palmieri as our "youngsters" and a couple of veterans in Elias and Langenbrunner... WOW.