HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Man that Datsuyk he sure is talented... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=75703)

Joe T Choker 05-04-2004 12:50 AM

Man that Datsuyk he sure is talented...

21 game POSTSEASON Goal-less DROUGHT

Natural Habs Fan 05-04-2004 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army

Wasn't he the next Yzerman?

Joe T Choker 05-04-2004 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan

according to someone on the boards...yes

Jacob 05-04-2004 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan

Now he's the next Bonk.

Burke's Evil Spirit 05-04-2004 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Now he's the next Bonk.

...if he's lucky.

Looks like the next Viktor Kozlov to me.

Trottier 05-04-2004 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army

Check his age.

You want to play the blame game, turn toward Shanahan, Hull, Lang before a kid. Expecting third-year pros to produce and lead a playoff team is absurd.

And if one doesn't think Datsyuk is talented... :shakehead

Burke's Evil Spirit 05-04-2004 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
Check his age.

You want to play the blame game, turn toward Shanahan, Hull, Lang before a kid. Expecting third-year pros to produce and lead a playoff team is absurd.

This is correct.

Mizral 05-04-2004 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
...if he's lucky.

Looks like the next Viktor Kozlov to me.

I think Slava Kozlov would be more accurate.

John Flyers Fan 05-04-2004 12:59 AM

One of only 5 players in NHL HISTORY to score 30 goals in the regular season, and then go 0 for the playoffs, playing a minimum of 10 games.

Somehow I'm sure it will still be cujo's fault .....

John Flyers Fan 05-04-2004 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
I think Slava Kozlov would be more accurate.

Nahhhhh, Slava Kozlov was CLUTCH.

42 career playoff goals.

At this rate Datsyuk would have to make the playoffs another 39 times to catch Slava.

Spaceace 05-04-2004 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
One of only 5 players in NHL HISTORY to score 30 goals in the regular season, and then go 0 for the playoffs, playing a minimum of 10 games.

Somehow I'm sure it will still be cujo's fault .....

:lol: :lol :joker: :lol you are SOO correct,they'll (Wings fans),will SOMEHOW blame Cujo once again.

John Flyers Fan 05-04-2004 01:06 AM

Quote:

Check his age.

Datsyuk is talented, but he's also nearly 26 years old, and he did lead their team in scoring this year.

He doesn't have to lead the team in scoring, but he has to contribute more than he did.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar 05-04-2004 01:09 AM

Quote:

Lang had 4 goals in the playofffs dont blame him. Hull had 3, ties datsyuk career. Shanahan well no arguement there.

ehc73 05-04-2004 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Datsyuk is talented, but he's also nearly 26 years old, and he did lead their team in scoring this year.

He doesn't have to lead the team in scoring, but he has to contribute more than he did.

But to say he's not talented is simply ignorant.

Higgy4 05-04-2004 01:30 AM

I wouldnt write the guys entire career off at this point. Geesh give the guy a chance....he is only 25.

But yes...he was pretty invisible this entire playoff year. He really needs to take the next playoff step.

Randall Graves* 05-04-2004 01:44 AM

HE looks like Hockeys version of Dave Winfield aka "Mr.May"

he was great in the first half...mediocre in the second half of the year.

canucks666 05-04-2004 01:46 AM

does he have ANY career playoff goals?

cuz he's starting to look more pathetic than valeri bure (no career playoff goals)

Phanuthier* 05-04-2004 01:59 AM

Talented? Sure is.

Yzerman? Nope.

Vlad The Impaler 05-04-2004 03:04 AM

Dastyuk cannot be the next Yzerman. Different players who took different paths and have different assets.

Predominantly, Datsyuk has been a playmaker. This year was the first he really broke out as a goalscorer but even then, I still consider his hockey sense, anticipation, creativity and overall playmaking abilities as being his main assets in this league.

And create plays he did. Some totally out of nowhere, right on target. But many were not capitalized on.

The thing people have to ask themselves is if Datsyuk is really such a goalscorer. Even many of his supporters have envisioned him more as a playmaker with 20 goal as a possibility. He had 30 this year, but 11 of those came during a 9 game streak in which everything was going as well as it could.

I am hoping I am wrong but suspecting this might have been an aberration. Regardless, it is still a player with not much North American experience and I do not care much because I happen to think he did make stuff happen. It is also his first year where he was really counted on for a bigger role. Making that transition is not easy.

At the end of the day, his overall performance is much more important than a single stat but in true HF-fashion, there's always a guy pointing out to this stuff as some sort of empirical evidence that something is horribly wrong.

The bottom line is, whether someone has the ability to comprehend it or not, Datsyuk's performance this year has been better than many guys who have scored a goal or two this year in the NHL playoffs and that's what he will be judged by. His overall performance. It would be cool if coaching, scouting and evaluations were done by way of simple mathematical operations but alas, doesn't work that way.

El_Loco_Avs 05-04-2004 03:12 AM

Yeah... he's worthless...

we'll trade youuuu... a bag of pucks and a 9th round pick for him...

:lol

Sure, he underperformed this year, but to call him untalented?
The team as a whole underperformed...

Birko19 05-04-2004 05:29 AM

Pretty stupid thread if you ask me, Datsyuk not talented? one would be an idiot to say he has no talent, Datsyuk has top notch talent, if he was bigger and stronger he would be top 5 in the NHL.

He didn't play well in the playoffs I'll agree with, but to bash him and say he has no talent is ignorant just as much as the poster who started this thread.

John Flyers Fan 05-04-2004 07:55 AM

I don't think anyone in this thread is questioning Datsyuk's "talent".

Questioning his production when it means the most.

jerseydevil 05-04-2004 08:30 AM

Typical fan reaction to a loss...Very talented player...very dumb people posting on this board...

If he sucks, then trade him and watch everyone change their tune...Rough losses bring out the worst in everyone.

Brett Hull was invisible last night though...

Coburnfan05 05-04-2004 08:30 AM

Quote:

Check his age.

Couldn't have said it beter, A team laddened with veterans and you expect a kid to carry the load. :dunno:

Joe T Choker 05-04-2004 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Couldn't have said it beter, A team laddened with veterans and you expect a kid to carry the load. :dunno:

I didn't know 26 was still considered 'kid', but anyway, I guess the kid will learn to refine his golf stroke