HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Professional hockey in the UK (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=75743)

HavoK041 05-04-2004 08:12 AM

Professional hockey in the UK

I only just discovered that there are pro teams in Britain. Does anyone know anything about these leagues? How popular is it over there? How long will it be before England can field a competetive national side??

peter the great 05-04-2004 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck_HavoK
I only just discovered that there are pro teams in Britain. Does anyone know anything about these leagues? How popular is it over there? How long will it be before England can field a competetive national side??

i dont think the pro league gets any medi acoverage at all - well maybe just a slight bit, also many players seem to be canadian or foreign which seems to imped the development of british players ... in fact till recently majority of the great britain team was canadian i think

saying that i believe they missed out of the last olympics by goal differnece only, so they may be getting somewhere

anyhoo ask the UK mod - GB - he will be able to tell you more

little known fact - team GB won olympic gold in the 1930s

HavoK041 05-04-2004 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter the great
ianyhoo ask the UK mod - GB - he will be able to tell you more

NO way?!? that's dope! I'm unfamiliar with who/what this UK mod is.

steveburfoot 05-04-2004 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter the great

Weren't they mostly canadian too, though????

It gets hardly any attention at all, (then again there is a hockey magazine called face off that comes out regularly and covers the Uk and NHL) most of the fans are pretty loyal, and hopefully the release of EHM:Fe may spark a bit of interest, but the leagues are usually in a state of flux, which is a major problem

Habber 05-06-2004 08:38 AM

I lived in Scotland for a while (it was a long time ago though) and played some hockey and watched some of these "pro" teams. Unless things have drastically changed, the quality of hockey is very poor. I'm not saying it's not fun to watch, but I think some of the better senior teams in Canada could give those teams a run for their money. It seemed to me that most of the players were Canadian, and that there weren't very many Brits playing. I would have to think they're a long, long ways off fileding a competitive team internationally.

As for popularity, it's barely on the radar screen. I lived in Edinburgh, a city of half a million and there was only one rink.