HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   New member and question! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=757449)

j cal 03-31-2010 09:16 PM

New member and question!

A little about myself. The last I played was over 13 years ago as a midget in a house league. I was never really good :laugh: I actually am playing A LOT better now after only a couple months of skating compared to back when I was a kid (still am at heart!).

Anyway, fairly recently, I picked up some new gear and started playing some rat and my game improved exponentially. I figured it was watching all the games throughout the years :)

Now comes my question, dun dun dunnn...

Before I get flamed for asking a repeated question over and over, I know there's a search function, but I feel like I'm a bit of the shorter guys (height) so it would be specific for my build.

STICK FLEX! I'm 5'5 (short) 185 lbs (short and fat, *working on it!) and I'm using an 85 flex.

I feel like my wrister's are good, snappers are getting better and my slappers are decent (when I actually make contact)

Now. Since I'm so short, my 85 flex might be now a 95 or even higher! I am thinking of dropping down to a 75/77 flex and cutting it down to an "real" 85 flex.

What are some of your thoughts since I feel like I'm doing okay with what I got (Easton s17 85).

Is there a hidden gem that I'm missing out on?!

Thanks in advance, Looking forward to posting again soon.

Best regards,

Joel from Chicago

hof2120 03-31-2010 09:38 PM

I like your idea about buying the INT flex then cutting it down. That way it'll be both the right length and a good flex, not just 1 out of 2.

oilerfan943 03-31-2010 09:39 PM

I work at Pro Hockey Life in Ottawa, and we always go by comfort. If you feel like you're comfortable with your stick where it is right now, why mess with it? Especially if it's an expensive stick like an S17. If you really want to try out some different flexes, maybe buy a cheaper stick and cut it down, just to fool around with the flex and see if you like it better, before making a rash decision. All I'm saying is that while tweaking your stick may improve your game a bit, it may also hold you back. I'm using an 87 flex Bauer XXXX with a Naslund curve, but I don't cut my stick. I find on my slappers it gets a little too much whip, and have considered going up to the next flex. The wristers and snappers don't get any better, though, so since my slapshot isn't all that great regardless of which stick I use, I'm hesitant to buy a new stick in order to possibly improve an area of my game that just isn't going to get much better.

Also, we have very different builds, I'm 6 feet tall and a lanky 140. Basically skin and bones. :P

But honestly, just stick with what's working, you'll get used to the feel and improvements will come naturally.

Also, welcome to HF. :)

Hockeyfan68 03-31-2010 11:23 PM

Welcome aboard here firstly! Many here know what they are talking about.

As a general rule (not set in stone as preference may vary it) but the stick flex should be somewhere around half of your body weight as a starting point. The flex rating is pounds of pressure needed to flex the shaft one inch.

I think at the 95 flex you are guessing yours is at is pretty good for your weight of 185lbs.

budster 03-31-2010 11:53 PM

see this post on hockey stick flex

j cal 04-02-2010 12:21 AM

Thanks for the responses! I wouldn't drop to INT level stick, maybe try a 77 flex or so and cut it down a bunch (I'm only 5'5). I feel like I can't get as much whip out of my cut down 85 flex, but my shots aren't too bad? Just thinking if it could be better...
Thanks for the responses!