HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   What kind of face mask do you wear, if any? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=758007)

NorthernILHawksFan 04-02-2010 01:45 AM

What kind of face mask do you wear, if any?
 
So I'm joining an adult league, and haven't played hockey since I was in a midget house league six years ago. I was contemplating what kind of face mask to wear. In the past I always wore a full shield, and I liked it. But since we don't have to wear a full shield/cage in adult league, I was thinking of going with the half shield. I think it would be more comfortable, but at the same time there is always the small risk of getting hit in the lower half of the face.

I was just wondering what everybody here wore and what they would recommend.

Maupin Fan 04-02-2010 01:54 AM

If you don't care about full face protection, the Bauer Straight Pro Cut Half Shield is optically a good visor.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Bauer...page-BSCC.html

If you want the added protection of the cage, a CCM FM 480 is the way to go.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/CCM_F...age-CFM48.html

Both of those are good choices and the cleanest style you can have as well.

Hockeyfan68 04-02-2010 02:32 AM

I would recommend that if you do not wish to get a facial injury to wear a full cage.

If you do not mind the risk, like I do not mind it, I recommend the visor I use which is the Bauer HS22 straight cut.

There are other visors that cover more area like the Aviator as well if you feel you need more protection than just a small visor.

Here are pictures of both ... they are both about $58 US

HS22 ....

http://www.greatskate.com/Images/Catalog/8872_01.jpg

And the Aviator style ...

http://img.inlinewarehouse.com/ProductImages/BAVT.JPG

Caeldan 04-02-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernILHawksFan (Post 24878214)
So I'm joining an adult league, and haven't played hockey since I was in a midget house league six years ago. I was contemplating what kind of face mask to wear. In the past I always wore a full shield, and I liked it. But since we don't have to wear a full shield/cage in adult league, I was thinking of going with the half shield. I think it would be more comfortable, but at the same time there is always the small risk of getting hit in the lower half of the face.

I was just wondering what everybody here wore and what they would recommend.

I started playing again after a long time and just kept with the full cage. It doesn't bother me at all.

The way I look at it is this:
a) Are you getting paid to play hockey?
b) Are you getting paid to work a different job?
--b.1) Do you have any interaction with customers?
c) Can you afford to miss a few days off at work to get dental surgery?
d) Can you afford to miss significant time at work with an eye injury?

So basically... to me its a no-brainer to wear a full cage and not risk missing time off work cause of a sport I'm playing for fun. It does get noticed if you're constantly missing days here and there because of sports injuries - so you might as well just be smart about it.

In my weekly regular pickup game this year I saw at least 3 close calls involving pucks or sticks getting to the face - and at least one of those required stitches (puck deflected up off a guy's chin and split him pretty good)

TCNorthstars 04-02-2010 09:42 AM

I wear a concept II deluxe. Full face shield. There are risks associated with hockey, but why not minimize those risks by going with a full shield/cage?

Frankie Spankie 04-02-2010 10:04 AM

I wear a full cage because well, there's no point risking a face injury. I have skated around after pick up games without a helmet on when everybody else leaves the ice and can see just as well as I do with a cage on. Most people in both adult leagues I'm in wear a full cage. I'd say maybe only 20-25% of the skaters don't wear any type of cage/visor.

Jarick 04-02-2010 10:07 AM

Bauer 9500 full cage. Super thin bars, non distracting chrome, light weight, perfect.

nystromshairstylist 04-02-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 24880730)
Bauer 9500 full cage. Super thin bars, non distracting chrome, light weight, perfect.

This. I have the 9500 combo, very comfortable helmet - 20% right now off at Hockey giant - and the cage melts into the background 10 seconds after putting it on.

Ani simov mal 04-02-2010 12:11 PM

CCM fm 480. Best looking cage too.

rinkrat22 04-02-2010 12:29 PM

it seems to me, that no one ever uses the search function.

Really? another visor/ cage/ going commando thread?

I know I know, I am a d#$k. but really do we have to have the same discussions over and over?

DevilsFan38 04-02-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 24880730)
Bauer 9500 full cage. Super thin bars, non distracting chrome, light weight, perfect.

Same. I love it, I don't even notice the bars.

WhipNash27 04-02-2010 02:02 PM

From Oakley
http://www.hockeydogs.com/ProductIma...ull%20Face.gif

Superstar Treatment 04-02-2010 03:20 PM

I try and toy with a shield here and there, just can't get used to it. Tried the 9500, 4500 and s17 cages, can't use any of them either.

RobertKron 04-02-2010 03:20 PM

I wore a half visor for quite a while (Itech HLC and then an HS22 Aviator), and then I got a couple sticks under the visor, very close to my eyes, in consecutive weeks and decided that I wasn't comfortable with the risk, even though I did love the visor, so now I use an RBEIII full cage. I still use the HS22 for drop in, because the session I go to is pretty laid back and the sticks stay down.

Hockeyfan68 04-02-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment (Post 24884903)
I try and toy with a shield here and there, just can't get used to it. Tried the 9500, 4500 and s17 cages, can't use any of them either.

Have you tried any of the newer stuff out there like the HS22? I am an older player who wore nothing for years and years because visors and cages sucked for me. I tried the HS22 pro straight cut jobby and I forget I am wearing one, optically these things are like not wearing anything.

I still have a full clear face and a half shield from the late 80s early 90s and they are absolutely horrible. I gave them a try too is my point .... even a couple of metal cages.

RJC 04-02-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 (Post 24883773)

LOL god thats hideous,

Superstar Treatment 04-02-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 (Post 24888042)
Have you tried any of the newer stuff out there like the HS22? I am an older player who wore nothing for years and years because visors and cages sucked for me. I tried the HS22 pro straight cut jobby and I forget I am wearing one, optically these things are like not wearing anything.

I still have a full clear face and a half shield from the late 80s early 90s and they are absolutely horrible. I gave them a try too is my point .... even a couple of metal cages.

I have an HS22, pro wave, oakley pro aviator and a torspo aviator.

Puckboy 04-02-2010 10:15 PM

You say you do not mind the full face mask stick with it. You have nothing to prove. I went years wearing nothing. Had a tooth knocked out which sucked and cost a lot. Went to a half sheild and still got hit a lot with sticks. I recently went to a full cage and I am still not comfortable with it but at the end of the night I do not have to worry about any medical bills. I have worn the cage 2-3 times and each time you get more used to it.

Badger36 04-03-2010 10:11 AM

Id definetly go with a full cage or a full clear plastic faceshield. That way you dont run the risk of a facial injury.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.