HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Rbk Edge Socks. Worth $25? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=758564)

JLHockeyKnight 04-03-2010 04:04 PM

Rbk Edge Socks. Worth $25?

Just looking at the Rbk Edge socks. They're about $25. Does anyone notice a difference? Regular socks cost about $12.

SpringfieldSkins 04-03-2010 04:11 PM

Why not try them out and see?

Even at $25, it's not like it's going to break the bank. They seem to have some decent features that would merit a try.

Badger36 04-03-2010 04:19 PM

Unless the socks are made out of gold or will do the skating for you, they arent worth the cost, IMO.

SpringfieldSkins 04-03-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBucky (Post 24905708)
Unless the socks are made out of gold or will do the skating for you, they arent worth the cost, IMO.

I guess you missed the product description then. :sarcasm:

Salzig 04-03-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins (Post 24905603)
Why not try them out and see?

Even at $25, it's not like it's going to break the bank. They seem to have some decent features that would merit a try.

Yeah... but you can get two regular pairs instead of one Edge pair. I probably wouldn't try them because I have no clue which advantage they have that justifies that price.

If you'll buy them please share your experiences. ;)

Jumbo* 04-03-2010 04:28 PM

RBK add about 2MPH(3km/h) on your speed.

Superstar Treatment 04-03-2010 04:30 PM

I'd think the light weight and breathability is perfect for summer hockey.

JLHockeyKnight 04-03-2010 05:46 PM

Well I was hoping for some more serious answers, but Salzig hit my point dead on, is it worth getting 1 pair for the price of two if the benefits aren't worth it.

AIREAYE 04-03-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight (Post 24906902)
Well I was hoping for some more serious answers, but Salzig hit my point dead on, is it worth getting 1 pair for the price of two if the benefits aren't worth it.

They're socks man, RBK just made them to go with the Edge jerseys, you could get two pairs and choose a variety of colors, can match with jerseys too:P

nystromshairstylist 04-04-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment (Post 24905894)
I'd think the light weight and breathability is perfect for summer hockey.

This is right. I've been using a pair for a few weeks, and they are much lighter and more comfortable than the heavy sweater socks.

DevilsFan38 04-04-2010 07:59 AM

What I've heard (never actually tried them myself) is that the pro Edge socks are much nicer than the retail version, and worth trying to hunt down if you want to try them out. I've also heard that they're really nice and breathable, but that the downside is that you will slide forever if you fall on them. I also think I remember hearing that the retail socks only have velcro on one side of the sock (front, I think), so if you use jock shorts with velcro to hold them up that could be a bit of an issue, you might have to sew on another velcro tab.

nystromshairstylist 04-04-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 (Post 24917891)
What I've heard (never actually tried them myself) is that the pro Edge socks are much nicer than the retail version, and worth trying to hunt down if you want to try them out. I've also heard that they're really nice and breathable, but that the downside is that you will slide forever if you fall on them. I also think I remember hearing that the retail socks only have velcro on one side of the sock (front, I think), so if you use jock shorts with velcro to hold them up that could be a bit of an issue, you might have to sew on another velcro tab.

I own the retail version after going to the LHS, and couldn't tell much difference between the 2, perhaps the "pro version" is a tiny bit thicker, but they were nearly identical.

Both just have the front velcro tab, so I splurged and had my local tailor sew one on the back.

I cannot recommend them highly enough compared to the sauna that is the old-fashioned sweater sock. Those following my other posts can tell that that is my least favorite item by far of any hockey gear, right ahead of shin pads that need shin straps or shin tape because the manufacturer went the cheap route :amazed:

----------------------------
I'll throw in a plug for the online store I bought them from:

www.greatskate.com

Good people there - plus they had solid colors in stock like black, navy, etc., which no one else seemed to have lately.

CuteHockeyBunny 04-04-2010 03:12 PM

Buy them at your team's gear sale. I got mine for 10$.

Hockeyfan68 04-04-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 (Post 24917891)

I wear the old fashioned socks sometimes, mostly i wear roller hockey pants but anyway .... when wearing regular socks I use the Itech jock short like you mentioned and use just the front velcro. i tried the back one as well but it keeps undoing and with just the front it seems to hold up good enough anyway.

I think I should get these type of socks mentioned here just because of being cooler. it is why i wear roller hockey pants as the backs of the legs are mesh and they are nice and cool to wear.

thedonger 04-04-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist (Post 24917907)
I own the retail version after going to the LHS, and couldn't tell much difference between the 2, perhaps the "pro version" is a tiny bit thicker, but they were nearly identical.

Both just have the front velcro tab, so I splurged and had my local tailor sew one on the back.

I cannot recommend them highly enough compared to the sauna that is the old-fashioned sweater sock. Those following my other posts can tell that that is my least favorite item by far of any hockey gear, right ahead of shin pads that need shin straps or shin tape because the manufacturer went the cheap route :amazed:

----------------------------
I'll throw in a plug for the online store I bought them from:

www.greatskate.com

Good people there - plus they had solid colors in stock like black, navy, etc., which no one else seemed to have lately.

you sure you saw the "pro" version? the pro version does not come with velcro at all...i have 2 pairs of pro's, and yes, as was said earlier, the material is a bit thicker and robust. the pro's also come in different sizes...L, XL and XL+. retail edge is pretty much XL.

i do notice a bit more breathability but nothing substantial. i'm actually thinking of getting rid of mine and just going with traditional from here on it. just don't think they're worth it in the end.

btw, the reason the retail edge socks only have 1 velcro tab in the front is that they were designed to work in conjunction with the 9k hockey pants that have an integrated velcro section to hold up the edge socks.

Nighthock 04-05-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny (Post 24923662)
Buy them at your team's gear sale. I got mine for 10$.

Didn't even think of this! Good call ...

shoeshine boy 04-06-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighthock (Post 24949872)
Didn't even think of this! Good call ...

the Thrashers were selling them for $2 a pair. I walked out with a stack of 'em. :)

backhander 04-11-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist (Post 24915957)
This is right. I've been using a pair for a few weeks, and they are much lighter and more comfortable than the heavy sweater socks.

i'd agree. i got some used pro stock. only downside is that they will wear out and tear easier, but i love the fact that they are lighter