HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Discussion of off-season goalie talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=758723)

dbr2 04-03-2010 11:19 PM

Discussion of off-season goalie talk
 
With the end of the season approaching what goal tending options would you like the Flyers to go after?

Mod edit (prior thread) -- http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=756289

Please discuss them here.

Flyers93 04-03-2010 11:22 PM

An above-average goalie.

That is all.

Haute Couturier 04-03-2010 11:33 PM

I'm hoping for a young & promising goalie but I expect them to pluck someone from the old and/or overrated column. Someone along the lines of Turco, Thomas, Ellis, or Mason.

dbr2 04-03-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertine (Post 24914877)
I'm hoping for a young & promising goalie but I expect them to pluck someone from the old and/or overrated column. Someone along the lines of Turco, Thomas, Ellis, or Mason.

Agreed. I'd love to pluck Price, Halak, Schneider. But we may not have what they are asking for. Thanks Paul.

If I have to pick out of those 4 I'm going with Ellis. I'm not really for getting Ellis. Mason isn't probably leaving STL, and Turco is - well Turco. Thomas..no thank you.

CS 04-03-2010 11:43 PM

I'm okay with Ellis and Leighton as long was we sign Bobrovsky for the AHL.

Flyers93 04-03-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbr2 (Post 24914929)
Agreed. I'd love to pluck Price, Halak, Schneider. But we may not have what they are asking for. Thanks Paul.

If I have to pick out of those 4 I'm going with Ellis. I'm not really for getting Ellis. Mason isn't probably leaving STL, and Turco is - well Turco. Thomas..no thank you.

I want Price. He's better than anything we've got already, AND he's only 22. If a reasonable deal can be reached, GET IT DONE.

Pantokrator 04-03-2010 11:55 PM

I would have no problem with a veteran if one could be had cheaply.

dbr2 04-03-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers93 (Post 24915103)
I want Price. He's better than anything we've got already, AND he's only 22. If a reasonable deal can be reached, GET IT DONE.

Is a 3 year deal too long? Or too short?

Flyers93 04-04-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbr2 (Post 24915252)
Is a 3 year deal too long? Or too short?

Do you mean if we acquire Price, and signed him to a deal?

dbr2 04-04-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers93 (Post 24915575)
Do you mean if we acquire Price, and signed him to a deal?

Yes sir.

Flyers93 04-04-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbr2 (Post 24915599)
Yes sir.

Hmm, I think 3 years is a pretty good number. If he doesn't pan out the way we want, then were not stuck with him TOO long, and if he works out then have him for a few years at least.

I think I may go 4 years.

holyhabs87 04-04-2010 12:41 AM

So I skimmed through the first thread...

Basically Hab fans want JVR or Giroux + for Price. I would not want Giroux as he does not fit our needs. I assume most of you would not trade JVR for Price.

So then there is Halak. Habs fans want Giroux for Halak. I assume you guys think that is too much?

I read that blog where you guys could have had Halak last year for a 2nd rounder! Thank God that did not happen.

I do not know much about the Flyers so am I wrong is saying you guys are not rich in the prospect pool? I personally cannot see a trade being done between the two and personally I would fear trading one of them to an Eastern conference teams, especially the Flyers.

RIPRichardsCarter 04-04-2010 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyhabs87 (Post 24916040)
So I skimmed through the first thread...

Basically Hab fans want JVR or Giroux + for Price. I would not want Giroux as he does not fit our needs. I assume most of you would not trade JVR for Price.

So then there is Halak. Habs fans want Giroux for Halak. I assume you guys think that is too much?

I read that blog where you guys could have had Halak last year for a 2nd rounder! Thank God that did not happen
.

I do not know much about the Flyers so am I wrong is saying you guys are not rich in the prospect pool? I personally cannot see a trade being done between the two and personally I would fear trading one of them to an Eastern conference teams, especially the Flyers.


Trolling at it's finest? Ouch. :cry:

holyhabs87 04-04-2010 01:06 AM

Ha! I did not even mean it that way man. I had not even heard of that one prior to reading the article.

It's a two way street, you may have rejected but we still offered it. I guess we had a poor judgment of his talent as well!

dawkins121 04-04-2010 03:12 AM

As much as I would love to have a young, talented, potential franchise guy like Price, Schneider, or Halak I just don't think we have the resources to trade for one of those guys unless we give up Giroux or JVR.

Obviously you have to give something to get something, but with the way our offense underperformed so terribly this year I'm scared to give away cheap talent like that. I'd almost rather trade Hartnell or Briere (if anyone will take him which is doubtful) and use the free cap space on a veteran like Turco just so we don't have to give up guys like Giroux or JVR.

I don't know, its just really frustrating to see us up against the cap yet our offense can't score and we basically don't have goalies. I actually think the goalie situation is an easy fix compared to the rest of our problems because we know what we need: an average to above average goalie who can keep us in games.

But how do you fix an offense that should be so good on paper? How do you fix the consistency issues? How can you get the team to play 60 minute games? Is it a coaching issue? Is there a problem in the locker room? Would trading a major piece shake things up enough to give us some chemistry up front?

The goalie problem looks easy to solve in comparison and that's what scares me.

Scoopyten 04-04-2010 04:02 AM

My primary target would be Price. I'd be willing to pay a LOT to acquire him. Giroux + and I'd consider a JvR+package for a Price + package.

If Price isn't available, I'd be OK with Halak, or going the Ellis and young guy with potential route. I thunk that goal is a paramount position. I disagree with those who feel that OK is good enough, as long as you have good team in front.

I am all about building from the goal out, and if it takes a few years, fine. NO more knee jerk BS.

decadentia 04-04-2010 06:49 AM

Honestly, i'd take anyone who puts up decent-good numbers at this point. Price/Halak would be great, but i'm afraid of what the return would have to be. We need a goalie who is going to be able to play and win us some games for the next 2-3 years. Playing magical chairs with our goalies does not work.

JCameron418 04-04-2010 07:14 AM

I think we should sign Ellis in the offseason. If Emery is not done with his carrer we should try to sign him to the league minimum. This way we can roll with and Ellis/Emery/Leighton trio.

At the same time we should seriously consider trying to acquire a decent goaltending prospect.

DeadPhish5858 04-04-2010 07:22 AM

I don't even want a good goalie. An average one would be fine. Just one that is not injury prone.

jb** 04-04-2010 09:43 AM

Vesa Toskala, book it. Any dime a dozen goalie will do right? They will scour the earth and find a guy from katmandu that no other team even knew existed. There is your answer.

BobbyClarkeFan16 04-04-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWO (Post 24918634)
Vesa Toskala, book it. Any dime a dozen goalie will do right? They will scour the earth and find a guy from katmandu that no other team even knew existed. There is your answer.

Why do I have that sinking feeling that Toskala will be looked at as well? I can see Holmgren and company giving Vesa the benefit of the doubt from his days in Toronto and they'll say that he's young enough to fill the starter's vacancy for the next little bit while they're waiting for a young goalie to develop.

Mota 04-04-2010 09:55 AM

I'd prefer a more established goalie. Young goalies give you an option for the future but they are never a sure thing. Price cant even hold a starting job in Montreal...he has potential but i wouldnt give up JVR or Giroux for a goalie who isnt even a starter right now.

Vokoun would be nice, as would Nabakov, but the cap becomes a problem there. Unless they can score someone like Price, Halak, or Schnieder cheap I would be content with a guy like Ellis, especially with our D. I also wouldnt mind bringing nitty back as a back up.

CS 04-04-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWO (Post 24918634)
Vesa Toskala, book it. Any dime a dozen goalie will do right? They will scour the earth and find a guy from katmandu that no other team even knew existed. There is your answer.

2002-03 _ San Jose: 11 GP - 4 W - 1 SO - 2.35 GAA - 0.927 SV%
2003-04 _ San Jose: 28 GP - 12 W - 1 SO - 2.06 GAA - 0.930 SV%
2004-05 _ LOCKOUT
2005-06 _ San Jose: 37 GP - 23 W - 2 SO - 2.56 GAA - 0.901 SV%
2006-07 _ San Jose: 38 GP - 26 W - 4 SO - 2.35 GAA - 0.908 SV%
2007-08 _ Toronto: 66 GP - 33 W - 3 SO - 2.74 GAA - 0.904 SV%
2008-09 _ Toronto: 53 GP - 22 W - 1 SO - 3.26 GAA - 0.891 SV%

2009-10 _ Toronto: 26 GP - 7 W - 1 SO - 3.66 GAA - 0.870 SV%
2009-10 _ Calgary: 5 GP - 2 W - 0 SO - 2.15 GAA - 0.920 SV%

I'd give him a shot.

RIPRichardsCarter 04-04-2010 10:04 AM

Few things that could happen:
1. Trade for relatively young goalie (like Price) and give up either Giroux or JVR
2. Sign an old goalie who is out of his prime
3. Sign an average goalie/Esche
4. Emery, Leighton will be our starter next year

None sound very good to me.

jb** 04-04-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 (Post 24918722)
Why do I have that sinking feeling that Toskala will be looked at as well? I can see Holmgren and company giving Vesa the benefit of the doubt from his days in Toronto and they'll say that he's young enough to fill the starter's vacancy for the next little bit while they're waiting for a young goalie to develop.

They looked at him during the summer and at 1 point liked him a lot. Whether they still do i do not know at this moment.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.