HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Larry Brooks: Marc Staal has figured out what Torts wants (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=759134)

RangerBoy 04-05-2010 06:30 AM

Marc Staal has figured out what Torts wants

Quote:

Head coach John Tortorella urged Staal to add more offense to his game -- to carry the puck, to lead the rush, to become the linear descendent of Brian Leetch. The problem, however, was that the skates didn't fit.

"At the beginning of the year, the coaches wanted me to get more involved in the offense, and it took time to get used to playing that way in a new system," Staal said on Saturday. "I think I was a little confused with what they wanted and what I was bringing to the table.

"It took me a while to figure that out."

Quote:

"As the year went on, I went back to playing to my strength, which is defense," Staal said. "At the same time, I have gotten better offensively.

"My primary responsibility is to be strong in my own end. The coaches send me out against the top guys. That's my job. If I have the opportunity to contribute at the other end, I'll go, but I'm not going to force it."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...PDK5wo4t04hbEL

Brooks credits the Rangers ditching the "safe is death" system for a more conservative system with helping Staal get his game back and at the same time Staal has become more involved joining the rush.

RangerBoy 04-05-2010 06:34 AM

Zipay has a Staal story too

Quote:

In 2007-08, his rookie season with the Rangers, the defenseman from Thunder Bay, Ontario, scored two goals. In 2008-09, three. This year, the 23-year-old has eight, including three in the last three games.

The Rangers' first-round pick - 12th overall - in the 2005 entry draft has gained accolades for his defense and physical play in the defensive zone. Along with Dan Girardi, Staal has almost always been assigned to try to shut down the opponent's top line. That is one measure of success, but he also has a career- high 19 assists this season and leads the club in average ice time at 23 minutes per game.

Quote:

"Watching some of the things he does so well as such a big guy . . . he makes moves in tight as if he's my size," Chris Drury said. "And certainly, the offensive boost he's given us is huge. Even when [he and the other defensemen] are not scoring, but they jump in the play to help us create opportunities and offense, and certainly when they're putting it in the net, it's been a boost for the entire lineup.''
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ment-1.1846277

nyr2k2 04-05-2010 07:55 AM

He's been great. He got off to a rough start, when he focused too much on leading the rush and trying to gain the offensive zone all by himself. It resulted in a lot of turnovers and goals against. The second half of the season, and particularly since the Olympics, he has been much better at picking his spots.

If he can continue this type of play, he may well develop into a "true" number one defenseman, a guy adept at playing both sides of the puck.

Fitzy 04-05-2010 07:58 AM

Its a hot streak, no doubt, 2 of the three goals were pretty stoppable. He's improved, however, beyond a doubt and I think that a little PP time with either Girardi or Jokinen wouldn't be a terrible idea.

mullichicken25 04-05-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 24935450)
He's been great. He got off to a rough start, when he focused too much on leading the rush and trying to gain the offensive zone all by himself. It resulted in a lot of turnovers and goals against. The second half of the season, and particularly since the Olympics, he has been much better at picking his spots.
If he can continue this type of play, he may well develop into a "true" number one defenseman, a guy adept at playing both sides of the puck.

the kid has really good instincts and its become evident that the best course of action is to let him devlope them at his own pace

not to fault Torts and Co. for trying to push him, cause i'd have done the same thing honestly

people got all over staal this season, but i think this was a pretty big year for him, he had some growing pains but at the end of the day he's figured out exactly who he is as a player

he will be as big of a part of this team as gaborik and henrik in the coming years

nyr2k2 04-05-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullichicken25 (Post 24935704)
the kid has really good instincts and its become evident that the best course of action is to let him devlope them at his own pace

not to fault Torts and Co. for trying to push him, cause i'd have done the same thing honestly

people got all over staal this season, but i think this was a pretty big year for him, he had some growing pains but at the end of the day he's figured out exactly who he is as a player

he will be as big of a part of this team as gaborik and henrik in the coming years

Agreed on all counts. It's been a big season developmentally for him. He got through the growing pains early and has clearly come out better for it. I do give some credit to Torts in that respect.

WhipNash27 04-05-2010 08:49 AM

So Brooks actually wrote an article about the Rangers which didn't bash Tortorella? Amazing.

mullichicken25 04-05-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 24935723)
Agreed on all counts. It's been a big season developmentally for him. He got through the growing pains early and has clearly come out better for it. I do give some credit to Torts in that respect.

come on now, as a mod you should know that kind of talk is not allowed around here

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 (Post 24935820)
So Brooks actually wrote an article about the Rangers which didn't bash Tortorella? Amazing.

oh im sure its there somewhere...gotta read between the lines

rody 04-05-2010 09:28 AM

I think if Staal would have played with Girardi more of the season , his offensive talent would have developed more,. He knows G will be there , With Rosival he is the offensive d man and Staal has to cover for him,
The problem was Rosival wasn't good enough to play with MDZ against top players they both run around too much. (I am not saying anything neg about either player) they just don't compliment each other,

94now 04-05-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 24935473)
Its a hot streak, no doubt, 2 of the three goals were pretty stoppable. He's improved, however, beyond a doubt and I think that a little PP time with either Girardi or Jokinen wouldn't be a terrible idea.

The highlight goals of Brian Leetch were stoppable as well. Yet fans love them not knowing much.

hlundqvist30* 04-05-2010 09:59 AM

Nonsense! The only thing Marc Staal has figured out is that Tortorella is ruining him! So what if he's tied for 6th in even strength goals for defensemen. Who cares if he has just as many goals as a great defenseman like Brian Rafalski only with less than half as many shots.

BrianLeetch2 04-05-2010 10:05 AM

Torts ruined this kid and he will never be the same...F U torts
:sarcasm:

ThirdEye 04-05-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94now (Post 24936400)
The highlight goals of Brian Leetch were stoppable as well. Yet fans love them not knowing much.

huh?

BrianLeetch2 04-05-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94now (Post 24936400)

All shots are stoppable...the good to great players figure out ways to put it in the net :nod:

hlundqvist30* 04-05-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdEye (Post 24936666)
huh?

Possibly the most famous goal of Brian Leetch's career was completely stoppable.

Like BrianLeetch2 said, very few shots are unstoppable. Staal should have nothing taken away from him for his recent goals. It's not like they were dump ins from center ice. If you're in the offensive zone and continue to put pucks in the net then you're clearly doing something right.

Loffen 04-05-2010 10:33 AM

Staal looked pretty horrid earlier in the season when he tried to lead the rush... He had some blatant turnovers which led directly to goals against.

The strongest part of his game is defense and I think he should focus on that. Obviously it's nice to see him join the rush more often right now since he usually recovers nicely.

This was nasty, though.

ThirdEye 04-05-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 24936879)
Possibly the most famous goal of Brian Leetch's career was completely stoppable.

Like BrianLeetch2 said, very few shots are unstoppable. Staal should have nothing taken away from him for his recent goals. It's not like they were dump ins from center ice. If you're in the offensive zone and continue to put pucks in the net then you're clearly doing something right.

Oh ok, I just didn't understand the second part of what 94now wrote.

Anyway, I wouldn't take anything away from Staal. He's clearly doing things this season we thought were not possible out of him last year. I don't care how flukey the goals are... 8 even strength goals for any d-man is hard to do. For example, Nik Lidstrom has only 4 ES goals this season and only had 6 last year. Green has 9, Weber has 8

Of course all those guys are cornerstones on the PP, but I'm not really expecting that out of Staal. We have MDZ who has already taken that role over

Trxjw 04-05-2010 10:40 AM

Marc Staal has figured out how to be Marc Staal.

Not really sure how the Torts fan club is using this article as a "I told you so!" moment.

BrianLeetch2 04-05-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullichicken25 (Post 24937116)
i wish i could watch these videos what work....my computer blocks them out and all i see is a white box

so what the hell am i missing? what where both of these vids?

im in the same boat im at work till 8 tonight and i ahet not being able to see the vids just that white boring box :(

nyr2k2 04-05-2010 10:42 AM

The two videos are Leetch's spin move on Marty in Game 7, and Matteau's goal.

BrianLeetch2 04-05-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 24937173)

awesome thank.....i know the 2 very well when i get home im sure ill get to see them

mullichicken25 04-05-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 24937173)

thank you sir

hlundqvist30* 04-05-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 24937132)
Marc Staal has figured out how to be Marc Staal.

Not really sure how the Torts fan club is using this article as a "I told you so!" moment.

It isn't an "I told you so!" moment for the Torts fan club. It's an "eat crow" moment for the "Tortorella is ruining Staal" fan club.

offdacrossbar 04-05-2010 10:50 AM

the best thing torts can do to help all our young players develop is resign

any success this team has individually or as a group is inspite of torts.

and before anyone says hes won a calder and a stanley, i would remind them that slats has some hardware too.

doesnt mean squat today.

mullichicken25 04-05-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 24937283)
It isn't an "I told you so!" moment for the Torts fan club. It's an "eat crow" moment for the "Tortorella is ruining Staal" fan club.

correct, I dont attribute this to Torts at all, however, id say this is an indication that he hasn't been "ruined"

but good luck, i dont think i've ever seen a bite of crow eaten on this forum