HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   NY Tri-state area players: Is there any way this is feasible? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=759714)

sousuffer 04-06-2010 04:36 PM

NY Tri-state area players: Is there any way this is feasible?
 
New Jersey is a tough state for a goalie to get in a very competitive league. There aren't many A and B leagues (and you usually need to be friends with someone) and I've been searching around for a while, and currently the only men's league that has a goalie opening is at Aviator sports in Brooklyn. I currently work in New Brunswick and the games in the league I wish to join run from 7:30 until 12:30 Tuesdays through Thursdays. I would have to take Route 18 south to the Turnpike to the outerbridge to the verazano (with no traffic, it's a 40 minute trip). I am willing to drive a decent distance for a game (usually my upper limit is an hour), but I'm asking an honest assessment...is this idea too insane? I was hoping maybe someone has some experience with this commute (or something similar) before at a similar time and might be able to help me out...is this just a really bad idea?

Pog Form 04-06-2010 04:58 PM

I'm not a goalie, and I don't live in your area, but I'll chime in anyway.

It's really about how bad you want to play. I've played in leagues where I had to commute 1 hr+ each way by public transit because I didn't have a car. Add the time it took to get dressed, undressed, shower, etc., and it was about a 4.5-hour commitment for three 12-minute periods of hockey (about 18 minutes of ice time). I don't regret it one bit. Might think twice about doing it again, lol, but it was worth it.

Headcoach 04-06-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sousuffer (Post 24961067)
New Jersey is a tough state for a goalie to get in a very competitive league. There aren't many A and B leagues (and you usually need to be friends with someone) and I've been searching around for a while, and currently the only men's league that has a goalie opening is at Aviator sports in Brooklyn. I currently work in New Brunswick and the games in the league I wish to join run from 7:30 until 12:30 Tuesdays through Thursdays. I would have to take Route 18 south to the Turnpike to the outerbridge to the verazano (with no traffic, it's a 40 minute trip). I am willing to drive a decent distance for a game (usually my upper limit is an hour), but I'm asking an honest assessment...is this idea too insane? I was hoping maybe someone has some experience with this commute (or something similar) before at a similar time and might be able to help me out...is this just a really bad idea?

Ok, before I make any recommendations, how old are you? I played goalie for several years and a goalie coach for 15 years before I became a Head coach.

Let me know!
Head Coach

gluvhand 04-06-2010 07:31 PM

Have you tried Hackensack or the rink in Wayne?

RangersAM99 04-06-2010 09:54 PM

well where do you live? there is a rink in Woodbridge and a rink down in farmingdale, you could try and see if some teams need some openings

sousuffer 04-06-2010 11:01 PM

re:
 
So to address, the first response...the key to this is exactly where the route takes me...we're talking traffic that varies anywhere between 0 and 2 hours extra time to get there...so there's a chance I'd have to give myself enough time to get there every time in the event it takes 2 hours longer than it should- or else I'd miss the game. As for the other posters....I'm 28, I live near Bridgewater, Hackensack is impossible to get into unless you play in the lower league (like D level). Woodbridge's rink collapsed during a blizzard, and I have called Farmingdale but I don't think they have any openings.

Hobgoblin Steve 04-06-2010 11:35 PM

While I've never played in a league at Aviator (open hockey only) I have heard nothing but good things from people I know who play there in leagues. I don't think you would be disappointed.

I actually was going to be commuting to Chelsea via public transportation myself to play, since I don't drive. It would have taken me somewhere between an hour and an an hour and a half to get there, but I really wanted to do it. Then I tore my ACL.

Axxion89 04-07-2010 02:25 AM

I live on Staten Island and have made the drive you outlined many a time and I would say unless you have the $$, don't do it!

You're gonna pay the Outerbridge, Verrazzano, and Turnpike tolls which will add up to about 17 bucks a trip back and forth! Not to mention gas

Also don't forget traffic so you will have to leave early and put up with it which sucks hard!

Kreider Luvs Goalies 04-07-2010 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sousuffer (Post 24974371)
So to address, the first response...the key to this is exactly where the route takes me...we're talking traffic that varies anywhere between 0 and 2 hours extra time to get there...so there's a chance I'd have to give myself enough time to get there every time in the event it takes 2 hours longer than it should- or else I'd miss the game. As for the other posters....I'm 28, I live near Bridgewater, Hackensack is impossible to get into unless you play in the lower league (like D level). Woodbridge's rink collapsed during a blizzard, and I have called Farmingdale but I don't think they have any openings.

I was just at the woodbridge rink last week, and I don't think it was collapsed??
Also did u try the oldbridge rink?
Posted via Mobile Device

sousuffer 04-07-2010 09:51 AM

You're right it wasn't Woodbridge, it was another rink near there...I was in contact with the Woodbridge league head and they mentioned there was nothing available. I will try Old Bridge- thanks for the advice- I forgot about them. I've actually been trying to get into the Grundy league (Bristol, PA) for 2 years now with no luck. And Axxion89, that's exactly why I asked...I figured the traffic makes this commute impossible (or merely insane). Thanks for the feedback. By the way, if anyone needs a goalie for an A or B league (or knows someone who does) please PM me. I'm 28 and played D3 club (and have gotten better since then). Thanks.

vivianmb 04-07-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sousuffer (Post 24981815)
You're right it wasn't Woodbridge, it was another rink near there...I was in contact with the Woodbridge league head and they mentioned there was nothing available. I will try Old Bridge- thanks for the advice- I forgot about them. I've actually been trying to get into the Grundy league (Bristol, PA) for 2 years now with no luck. And Axxion89, that's exactly why I asked...I figured the traffic makes this commute impossible (or merely insane). Thanks for the feedback. By the way, if anyone needs a goalie for an A or B league (or knows someone who does) please PM me. I'm 28 and played D3 club (and have gotten better since then). Thanks.

how far is allentown,pa for you?they have two nice rinks. ice palace, and leighigh valley arena.ice palace used to have a great league.

sousuffer 04-07-2010 10:15 AM

Allentown is about an hour (which is fine by me)....I couldn't find a website for Ice Palace...and lehigh has the geezer league, which is low level. Do you know of anyone in Ice palace that needs a goalie? Or perhaps you know of a way to contact the rink? The number posted on the internet doesn't work. Thanks.

Edit: Old bridge is closed for the summer.

RangersAM99 04-07-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sousuffer (Post 24982055)
Allentown is about an hour (which is fine by me)....I couldn't find a website for Ice Palace...and lehigh has the geezer league, which is low level. Do you know of anyone in Ice palace that needs a goalie? Or perhaps you know of a way to contact the rink? The number posted on the internet doesn't work. Thanks.

Edit: Old bridge is closed for the summer.

i would definitely try and go out to the woodbridge community center and see if any teams need an opening

edit: i didn't read one of your posts from above, maybe you should try going a bit north? maybe the mennon arena? maybe floyd hall on the montclair state university campus. definitely try protec ponds, its in somerset NJ here is the website: http://www.protechockey.com/protec/i...page&Itemid=28

vivianmb 04-07-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sousuffer (Post 24982055)
Allentown is about an hour (which is fine by me)....I couldn't find a website for Ice Palace...and lehigh has the geezer league, which is low level. Do you know of anyone in Ice palace that needs a goalie? Or perhaps you know of a way to contact the rink? The number posted on the internet doesn't work. Thanks.

Edit: Old bridge is closed for the summer.

i havent been to the ice palace since about 1997. i tried www.arenamaps.com and they dont even list the ice palace anymore. maybe it closed? there is an " allentown sports and entertainment center" listed though.try arenamaps though. it will give a list of the rinks in any given area.good luck.

sousuffer 04-07-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersAM99 (Post 24982628)
i would definitely try and go out to the woodbridge community center and see if any teams need an opening

edit: i didn't read one of your posts from above, maybe you should try going a bit north? maybe the mennon arena? maybe floyd hall on the montclair state university campus. definitely try protec ponds, its in somerset NJ here is the website: http://www.protechockey.com/protec/i...page&Itemid=28

Mennan arena has no league, floyd hall has a D-level league, and the guy at Protec ponds told me I would be bored in the league they have there right now but he'd keep my number once they grew some more. I do appreciate the heads up though.

Kreider Luvs Goalies 04-07-2010 02:21 PM

When u say u contacted woodbridge, your talking about the community center right?
Posted via Mobile Device

sousuffer 04-07-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAB0RIK (Post 24986355)
When u say u contacted woodbridge, your talking about the community center right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Is that United Skates of America?

Superstar Treatment 04-07-2010 02:29 PM

http://www.redbankarmory.com
I think their spring session just started, there's a chance you could jump on a team.

sousuffer 04-07-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment (Post 24986495)
http://www.redbankarmory.com
I think their spring session just started, there's a chance you could jump on a team.

Haha I tried them as well...3 times...still waiting for a call back. Will try again today.

Kreider Luvs Goalies 04-07-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sousuffer (Post 24986431)
Is that United Skates of America?

Yes. You probably already called them was just making sure u meant woodbridge community center
Posted via Mobile Device

RangersAM99 04-07-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sousuffer (Post 24986030)
Mennan arena has no league, floyd hall has a D-level league, and the guy at Protec ponds told me I would be bored in the league they have there right now but he'd keep my number once they grew some more. I do appreciate the heads up though.

well the two other rinks i would suggest is the ocean ice palace down in brick township and winding river down in toms river, both are a bit of a drive if you life up north

Heat McManus 04-07-2010 05:00 PM

What level have you played at before?

sousuffer 04-07-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersAM99 (Post 24989328)
well the two other rinks i would suggest is the ocean ice palace down in brick township and winding river down in toms river, both are a bit of a drive if you life up north

Yeah I'm still shooting for ocean ice palace...toms river rink might be too far...it's about 80 minutes with no traffic.

Superstar Treatment 04-07-2010 05:18 PM

Winding River really isn't much worse of a drive in the summer. If you're going to hit traffic going to Ocean you'll hit the same traffic going to Toms River. Of course if the play is similar, choose ocean.

I haven't played there in years, hopefully it smells better than when I was in HS.

night-timer 04-09-2010 12:51 AM

In my league, we play at five rinks. The nearest is about 45 minutes away by public transport. The next is an hour away, then the three others are around two hours away.

I go to all of them. I don't have a car. I have a motorbike, but no current licence, and I have never taken all my gear on the bike anyway. Carrying the stick would be the hardest part.

I may get a car later this year, but I only need it for hockey and buying a car solely for recreational hockey is a serious expenditure.

Having said all of that, I doubt that most people would go to the time and trouble that I do to play. Also, some of the rinks aren't in the nicest parts of town and I have to walk around with all my gear.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.