HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Skate Problem (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=759972)

Axxion89 04-07-2010 01:34 AM

Skate Problem

Ok I'm new to playing the game of Ice Hockey and I have a pair of Bauer Vapor XXX skates. The left skate is perfect but the right is driving me insane. It keeps coming loose and my heel fits akwardly and I feel as if my foot sits higher in teh skate than the left. Upon observation and consultation I have discovered the following:

1- My laces don't stay as tight because my foot is pushing up on the tongue so when I try to tighten, the laces are pushed slack. To describe it best, the first 4 lace crosses tighten right on the tongue and actually seem to dig into the tongue unlike on my left foot.

2- The insole is a factory lemon, the place I bought it from said it was definitely a bad insole and gave me after market insoles that are waaaay too thick for me.

3- I believe the bad insole is causing my heel to sit awkwardly in the skate which only adds to my problems being the skates coming lose and my ankle rolling in the skate

Can anyone here give me any insight as to what I should do. I took the insole out and tied up the skates and it seems to fit a lot better soleless but i=on ice playing I don't know how it will affect my feet. Also, I do not know whether or not to by an insole as it would need to be really thin so my foot could fit. Any ideas?

cptjeff 04-07-2010 02:21 AM

The stock insole on those things is just a thin piece of foam, right? Just buy a cut to fit thin foam insole at your local drugstore. 2 bucks. What have you got to lose?

stick9 04-07-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

3- I believe the bad insole is causing my heel to sit awkwardly in the skate which only adds to my problems being the skates coming lose and my ankle rolling in the skate
I'd say you got it. This is refereed to as the skate not being deep enough (in this case caused by a thick innersole). Try some cheap innersoles like cptjeff mention and get yourself some waxed laces. The waxed laces should stop the skate from loosening up as you tie them.

jagged 04-07-2010 09:19 AM

Maybe you need a pair of Orthotics... maybe visit your local Pedorthist and have your feet scanned

Skraut 04-07-2010 12:45 PM

Look at some yellow superfeet. They offer good arch support with a low profile.

I had the exact same problem you describe when I used my regular shoe orthotics in my skate. It pushed my foot too far into my laces causing all sorts of issues.

Axxion89 04-07-2010 04:52 PM

Thanks for all the info I bought some cheap $1 insoles that were really thin at Walmart and they seem to fit a lot better and my foot seems to fit great! I'll test them on the ice friday and let you all know how it goes

Hockeyfan68 04-07-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxion89 (Post 24990475)
Thanks for all the info I bought some cheap $1 insoles that were really thin at Walmart and they seem to fit a lot better and my foot seems to fit great! I'll test them on the ice friday and let you all know how it goes

Some guys in here take the insoles out that come with their skates and buy Super feet insoles which are a bit pricey around $40 or so. They seem to help people with arch issues mostly and they swear it helps them skate better and their skate to fit better.

I have some Shock Doctor ones I tried out for $20 and they didn't do it for me. They had too much spring to them.

One thing i did for a specific pair of skate was to cut out an insole from a piece of thick leather. I made it to fit by tracing my feet. then I used a good strong industrial 2 sided sticky tape so it would adhere to the bottom of the skate without sliding around yet be easy to remove should blade maintenance need to be done.

Those worked well for a long time.

Your Walmart ones should do the trick I think though. It is hard to say until you use them though, I do not use my shock doctor ones because it caused me pain in my right knee just under the knee cap and they felt too springy anyway. I had a pretty serious event on that knee when in school and almost lost that leg to infection. It has some cartilege missing from being eaten up by bacteria.

That however is a long story for another thread.

Axxion89 04-10-2010 01:39 AM

Just wanted to say that the skates worked great tonight and I played better than I ever have!!! I hope that anyone who ever has the same problems that I have follows this thread