HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Kozzy thinks the coaching staff suck (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=761868)

Telfo 04-11-2010 01:17 PM

Kozzy thinks the coaching staff suck

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...eams-failures/

interesting words

headsigh 04-11-2010 01:23 PM

No surprises here. He was absolutely right about this being the best team in a long time we've had. If we were going to make the playoffs, this year would be it. But we flubbed it.

btn 04-11-2010 01:33 PM

Nothing really different that what he told the Russian media. Was Anderson part of the problem, sure. Having a good team on paper means little when you have guys like White, Kozlov, Little, and Bogosian having poor seasons.

At the end of the day the mess in this org starts at the top, really do not see why Kozzie gave them a pass.

Right now it is hard to see how Waddell and Anderson can both be back next season.

headsigh 04-11-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

“I felt pressure since training camp. Coach told me he has pressure from upstairs. I talked to [GM] Don [Waddell], he said he never talked to the coach. Somebody is lying. I don’t want to know what happened and who is lying. I feel like I don’t deserve to be treated like that. Right now, it’s over. The last game, I have lots of support from the fans. I don’t know maybe it was because I’m not coming back next year or it’s my last game but it was nice last night."
That is not a good thing.

Bongo 04-11-2010 03:31 PM

Why I'm shocked. Who could have thought such a thing possible.

Kudos to Slava for having the stones to say what everybody has known for some time.

Rhodes 81 04-11-2010 03:34 PM

i only wish someone who hadn't been benched for half the season would say it so everyone wouldn't write it off as kozlov being bitter about not playing.

i was thinking last night about how kozlov might make a good powerplay coach for whoever our next coach is. i'm almost certain anderson is out by this time next year unless we really overachieve next year(read win cup)

Norm MacDonald 04-11-2010 03:50 PM

Wow, that's rough :(

No free agent is going to want to play in Atlanta until things change in a big way.

Georgia Dawg 04-11-2010 05:05 PM

Good for Kozlov. JA needs to go along with DW.

ASF was right all along. I hate to admit it.

aBurmistrov 04-11-2010 05:39 PM

Nice article, he has a point, but I wouldn't mind if DW went too.

John Cena* 04-11-2010 09:12 PM

Both JA and DW need to go. They are clowns in my eyes. They did Slava so dirty. What a disgraceful cheap coaching staff we have.

Boognish 04-12-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bongo (Post 25082352)
Why I'm shocked. Who could have thought such a thing possible.

Kudos to Slava for having the stones to say what everybody has known for some time.

Huh? Why does he get a pass? He played like lukewarm **** all season and a good portion of last season. Sour grapes make the best whine.

Boognish 04-12-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

"Our young players, they come here and they can do whatever they want," Kozlov said. "They've got no role models. I played in Detroit and I played with some great players. I learned a lot from them."

The 37-year-old Kozlov, who faces unrestricted free agency after 536 career games with Atlanta, also thought Anderson's game strategy suffered.
Anyone see anything unusual about this statement?

btn 04-12-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boognish (Post 25110442)

Kozlov doesn't even realise what he just said about himself, does he?

Payinthedues 04-12-2010 12:09 PM

well Kozzy has always carried the tag of a pretty narcissistic player. Maybe he just knows he's not a good role model.

Rhodes 81 04-12-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boognish (Post 25110283)
Huh? Why does he get a pass? He played like lukewarm **** all season and a good portion of last season. Sour grapes make the best whine.

what if someone like peverley or antropov or even reasoner or hedberg were to come out and say this. someone who plays very well recently and is more respected by the fan base. would you opinion change then?

Sabreality 04-12-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boognish (Post 25110442)

haha yeah..just like Kovys comment on how he was so impressed that the NJ captains called a team meeting after a 2 game losing streak saying that would never happen in ATL...uh, YOU were the captain here big guy. :shakehead

Boognish 04-12-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabreality (Post 25116859)
haha yeah..just like Kovys comment on how he was so impressed that the NJ captains called a team meeting after a 2 game losing streak saying that would never happen in ATL...uh, YOU were the captain here big guy. :shakehead

Exactly. Both Kozlov and Kovalchuck said there were no leaders on the team despite the fact that they were both capable and expected to provide that leadership.

I stuck up for Kozlov a lot on this board, but his "wasn't me" attitude seems to have infected Ilya a bit.

Boognish 04-12-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 (Post 25116357)
what if someone like peverley or antropov or even reasoner or hedberg were to come out and say this. someone who plays very well recently and is more respected by the fan base. would you opinion change then?

Someone who works hard? Sure, to an extent.

I'm not a fan of anyone calling out the coach, but dogging it all year then calling out the coach on your way out the door trying to blame them for your lack of character is classless, IMO.

Boognish 04-12-2010 06:13 PM

And a reply from Anderson.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...-answers-back/

I think he covers it pretty well.

Shameus 04-12-2010 11:30 PM

Anderson fires back

Quote:

It was a point of contention for Anderson, and several Thrashers, that Kozlov named three players in criticizing playing time distribution.
Most interesting quote from the whole article. Maybe Kozlov doesn't speak for his teammates?

Peter Sidorkiewicz 04-13-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameus (Post 25126152)
Anderson fires back

Most interesting quote from the whole article. Maybe Kozlov doesn't speak for his teammates?

Well we know Kovalchuk is on Kozlov's side.

I think the several players reference in the article refers to the players Kozlov named.
Viv probably asks Bolts what he thought of Kozlov comments that he gets too much playing time. Of course your not going to be happy when you're getting limited minutes anyway and a teammate questions your contribution to the team on the ice.

It still doesn't change the fact that I agree with Kozlov and JA is not the right man for the job. Not because he benched Kozlov far too often, is that the defensive team structure hasn't really improved during the year and the power play was completely inept without Kovy.

Boognish 04-13-2010 07:13 AM

PP%

09-10 16.1%
08-09 19.3
07-08 16.5
06-07 16.5

I'm not sure "completely inept" means what you think it does.

How did he bench Slava too often? Did you see Kozlov play this season? He looked like Mel Brooks out there.

Peter Sidorkiewicz 04-13-2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boognish (Post 25128967)
PP%

09-10 16.1%
08-09 19.3
07-08 16.5
06-07 16.5

I'm not sure "completely inept" means what you think it does.

How did he bench Slava too often? Did you see Kozlov play this season? He looked like Mel Brooks out there.

Are they figures for the season that includes Kovalchuk?
Post Kovy, I think the power play was in the bottom quarter of the league but you can see it has dropped off from last season.

No doubt Slava deserves some time on the bench with his poor play. But I don't understand that when he was brought back to the lineup for those one off occasions in the latter part of the season, he seem to play better and some games contributed on the box score with assists yet was back on the bench the next game while players like Colby Armstrong was consistency taking dumb penalties each game and not made to pay for once. Also I heard some reports from a few people I know that watch practice and Slava was his usual hard working self, so it wasn't like he wasn't practicing hard enough to get another shot.

Lux Aurumque* 04-13-2010 12:02 PM

When you compare the interviews, JA definitely comes across as the more mature one. Kozlov comes off as a whiner.

However, the fact is, they both stunk this year. JA's coaching was decent at times, but he made many, many questionable decisions, especially in the areas of goaltending, and when he broke up the Kovalchuk-Antropov-Afinogenov line in December. Kozlov was terrible all year. He was easily one of our worst players.

Boognish 04-13-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz (Post 25129202)
Are they figures for the season that includes Kovalchuk?
Post Kovy, I think the power play was in the bottom quarter of the league but you can see it has dropped off from last season.

NHL.com check them yourself.

It dropped off from last season which appears to be an abberration of the last 4 seasons. So I'd say that the PP was right on par with where it was with Ilya. Piss poor, but right on par.

Quote:

No doubt Slava deserves some time on the bench with his poor play. But I don't understand that when he was brought back to the lineup for those one off occasions in the latter part of the season, he seem to play better and some games contributed on the box score with assists yet was back on the bench the next game while players like Colby Armstrong was consistency taking dumb penalties each game and not made to pay for once. Also I heard some reports from a few people I know that watch practice and Slava was his usual hard working self, so it wasn't like he wasn't practicing hard enough to get another shot.
Maybe he was disruptive or he was freelancing outside the system, I dunno. But there's more that goes into working your way off the bench than practicing hard.