HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   In Hitch I Trust (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=76198)

Pontifex Maximus* 05-05-2004 09:10 PM

In Hitch I Trust

He'll never win an Adams trophy because he coaches teams that are expected to do well, but Hitchcock is by far the best coach in the NHL. Whenever I see an interview with him I get the feeling that he actually knows what he is talking about. Probably the best hockey analyzer in the world. No doubt, if we had previous jokers in here like Barber, Ramsay, Cashman etc we'd be toast by now. He is the MVP of this team. Without him this is a good team that will go nowhere like Boston or Ottawa.

Flyman 05-06-2004 05:32 AM

I agree, I am really confident in Hitch. He does know his job perfectly, and moreover, he is a master to create strategies to block the oponent.

We have an edge on TB at this point for sure...

Flyers26 05-06-2004 08:22 AM

Give him 3 days to get a gameplan together, and we'll be just fine!
I believe that Ramsay is an assistant in Tampa, and Barber is associated with them also.

donelikedinner 05-06-2004 08:44 AM

:bow: HITCH IS THE MAN.

GBailey93 05-06-2004 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers26
Give him 3 days to get a gameplan together, and we'll be just fine!
I believe that Ramsay is an assistant in Tampa, and Barber is associated with them also.

Craig Ramsay is the associate head coach, and often given a lot of the credit for their success.

Bill Barber is a scout for the Lightning.

Coburnfan05 05-06-2004 01:46 PM

Hitch is a great coach but honestly I think our entire coaching and management staff are great. Arguably the best overall in the NHL. Besides Hitchcock you have great asisstants who have been former head coaches like Terry Murray, Craig Hartsburg and Wayne Fleming and Reggie Lemelin as the goalie coach. Throw in Clarke as well as his assistants Dean Lombardi & Paul Holmgren. That's a damn good staff.

I guy in a toronto news paper put it like this.

If Hitchcock were coaching the leafs and Quinn were coaching the flyers, the leafs would be moving on.

The Seeker 25 05-07-2004 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan

If Hitchcock were coaching the leafs and Quinn were coaching the flyers, the leafs would be moving on.

I see the Leafs are bringing St. Pat back for more, eh? Good.....

crackerzack 05-07-2004 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Hitch is a great coach but honestly I think our entire coaching and management staff are great. Arguably the best overall in the NHL. Besides Hitchcock you have great asisstants who have been former head coaches like Terry Murray, Craig Hartsburg and Wayne Fleming and Reggie Lemelin as the goalie coach. Throw in Clarke as well as his assistants Dean Lombardi & Paul Holmgren. That's a damn good staff.

Hitch, can only be tolerated for so long though. He's too tough on his players. They get sick of him after a while.

I do believe we have the perfect mix of players for Hitch. The "superstars" are maintaining their egos and the young guys know their role.

FlyersGuy69 05-07-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackerzack
Hitch, can only be tolerated for so long though. He's too tough on his players. They get sick of him after a while.

I don't by that.
the most important thing is winning. if the team is successful, they will listen. and if your going by what happened in Dallas, that was kind of a different situation. he had to prove himself to Madono and the rest of the team before the caught on. he had nothing to prove to this team because they knew he was a winner already. so they bought in almost from the jump.

Brett Hull had problems with him but, Hull has had problems with every tough coach he has played for. so I don't even listen to what comments Hull has made about Hitch. Hull needs coaches like Bowman who just let Hull be Hull.

crackerzack 05-07-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
I don't by that.
the most important thing is winning. if the team is successful, they will listen. and if your going by what happened in Dallas, that was kind of a different situation. he had to prove himself to Madono and the rest of the team before the caught on. he had nothing to prove to this team because they knew he was a winner already. so they bought in almost from the jump.

Brett Hull had problems with him but, Hull has had problems with every tough coach he has played for. so I don't even listen to what comments Hull has made about Hitch. Hull needs coaches like Bowman who just let Hull be Hull.

Check this article out.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/hockey/7590284.htm?1c

Though I think the following quote pretty much proves the point I was trying to make.

"Although it's roundly accepted Hitchcock was fired as coach of the Stars in 2002 because the team grew exhausted of his tactics, he remains true to the form that helped the Stars reach consecutive Stanley Cup Finals. While the form may result in personal or team-wide burnout, there are few coaches in professional sports who are as willing to punish and push their All-Stars as Hitchcock."

You are right. The most important thing is winning, but you can only tolerate a guy like Hitch for so long. After a while his tactics grow tiresome and thus lose their potency. I compare it to being disciplined by your parents. The first time your parents really flip out on you, it really hits home. The second time, it still scares you but not as much since you already witnessed their wrath. After the third time, you've seen it all before so it doesn't mean nearly as much to you as your first scolding did. Getting to the point, since Hitchcock depends on "tough love" to motivate his players, it goes without saying that his techniques lose their effectiveness after a while.

But these guys want it, and they want it bad and they believe in Hitch. So I agree with you, for the time being, Hitch has control of these guys.

edit:spelling error

FlyersGuy69 05-07-2004 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackerzack
Check this article out.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/hockey/7590284.htm?1c

Though I think the following quote pretty much proves the point I was trying to make.

"Although it's roundly accepted Hitchcock was fired as coach of the Stars in 2002 because the team grew exhausted of his tactics, he remains true to the form that helped the Stars reach consecutive Stanley Cup Finals. While the form may result in personal or team-wide burnout, there are few coaches in professional sports who are as willing to punish and push their All-Stars as Hitchcock."

You are right. The most important thing is winning, but you can only tolerate a guy like Hitch for so long. After while his tactics grow tiresome and thus lose their potency. I compare it to being disciplined by your parents. The first time your parents really flip out on you, it really hits home. The second time, it still scares you but not as much since you already witnessed their wrath. After the third time, you've seen it all before so it doesn't mean nearly as much to you as your first scalding did. Getting to the point, since Hitchcock depends on "tough love" to motivate his players, it goes without saying that his techniques lose their effectiveness after a while.

But these guys want it, and they want it bad and they believe in Hitch. So I agree with you, for the time being, Hitch has control of these guys.

ok, we are going on what happened in Dallas, but he has only coached 2 NHL teams. so to say that because it didn't work in Dallas doesn't necessarily mean that it's eventually going to blow up here. also, maybe Hitch has grown as a coach and has become better at dealing with players than his time in Dallas. the biggest thing is that there is no rumblings from the locker room yet and only time will tell but if the players buy into him then there is no exhaustive tactics(as you say) that will drive a wedge between him and the team.

ObeySteve 05-07-2004 08:55 PM

I don't like how Hitchcok generally has poor relationships with players on the teams he coaches, but I'm absolutely fine with him as long as the Flyers keep winning.