HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The 08-09 and 09-10 Rangers; a Comparison (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=762110)

Fitzy 04-11-2010 07:45 PM

The 08-09 and 09-10 Rangers; a Comparison
 
Alright so now that the season is over, I am setting out to show 2 things.

1. That this ranger club, despite missing the playoffs, was better than last years

2. That we are moving in the right direction as a franchise

Team stats

Our 08-09 team;

43 wins, 95 points. 1st round loss

210 goals for, 218 goals against, -8 spread.

Leading scorer; Gomez and Zherdev with 58 points each

full time rookies; Lauri Korpikoski


our 09-10 team

38 wins, 87 points. Missed playoffs

222 goals for, 218 goals against. +4 spread

Leading Scorer; Gaborik with 86 points

Rookies; Del Zotto, Anisimov, Gilroy


Alright, so lets review. The 08-09 rangers finished the season with a shootout boosted record. They had a negative goals for/against spread, and had an anemic offense.

Our offense under this team was 12 goals better, despite less shootout wins and an intense dry spell in the beginning of the year.

Why? Because the power play improved with Michael Del Zotto and Gaborik. Last year our power play was barely over 10% for most of the year.

Now, our goals against stayed at 218, despite the addition of two rookies who at many times had real difficulties in their own end. Redden regressed from a no-offense, top 4 dman to a no offense, 3rd pairing dman. So why no change?

Was it because Girardi, Staal, and Rozsival were better? Maybe partly, but Lundqvist was also better statistically and allowed fewer goals. This season showed us that we dont have to have the worlds best defensive depth for Lundqvist to be comfortable and put up good numbers. We can run a more offensive scheme and be safe with it.

The major difference between the two seasons though, has to be the direction. Last year, Korpikoski was our most promising rookie and looked to be just another 3rd line defensive forward. This year, thanks to Tortorella, we gave a 19 year old PP QB with a bright future playing time and the experience he needed at a level appropriate for him. We also saw Anisimov, who despite an unimpressive offensive first season and some holes in his game looks like he could be something pretty good for this club if he keeps progressing.

End of last year; cap strapped, no offense, D leaving. This year, some open space, a premier goal scorer, and some promising kids.

What im trying to say here, fellow Ranger fans is that despite the disappointment of missing the playoffs for the first time since the lockout, we have a lot to look forward to. I feel much better at the termination of this season then I ever did last year.

Oh, and Jokinen is donezies as a ranger.

Now we have a GM and some guys with some work to do. Dump Redden. Get Volchenkov or Kovalchuk. We're much closer now to a competing team. Optimism.


FInally my end of season kudos.

Kudos to Dubinsky on his first 20 goal season
Kudos to Gaborik on a close to full season and career high in everything.
Kudos to Lundqvist on what may be looked at as his best season
Kudos to Prospal for earning more than his pay
Kudos to Staal for taking the next step.

Hold your heads up Ranger fans. Things are only going to get better.

Nittany Ranger 04-11-2010 08:10 PM

As painful as the loss today was, I generally agree with this sentiment. The key is staying the course in terms of giving our young guys more opportunities to play, and not just making mistake after mistake in free agency. Just once I would like to see the team come back relatively intact from year to year, but my concern is that missing the playoffs will put pressure on management to yet again invest in overpriced free agent band-aids, like Kotalik, Brashear, etc. as a "quick fix" to this season and its problems. The team has a bright future, the key is getting through these growing pains without making more franchise-hindering mistakes a la Redden, Rosival etc.

jas 04-11-2010 08:12 PM

Not bad, Fitzy. At this time last year, a lot of us were wondering how the heck would Sather be able to dump one of the big four and add cap space. This year, we've got Gaborik and McDonagh instead. Can Sather turn Drury into Kovalchuk and Jimmy Hayes or Jerry D'Amigo, (TML prospects) in his next magic trick?

Rustingo12 04-11-2010 08:17 PM

Imagine if we still had Gomez instead of Gaborik.

Giacomin 04-11-2010 08:17 PM

Lets make the playoffs! I can think of about 5 games in which we lost in the last 4-5 minutes on soft goals Detroit,Ottawa etc. And the game in Montreal in which we were up I believe 4-0 and lost in overtime. Any of those wins and we make the playoffs on a roll . Last year we won those last minute games. That is the most noticable difference I think in the 2 teams.

Fitzy 04-11-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris6net (Post 25094795)
Lets make the playoffs! I can think of about 5 games in which we lost in the last 4-5 minutes on soft goals Detroit,Ottawa etc. And the game in Montreal in which we were up I believe 4-0 and lost in overtime. Any of those wins and we make the playoffs on a roll . Last year we won those last minute games. That is the most noticable difference I think in the 2 teams.

We had better luck last year, is what it boils down to.

People would argue that the D was deeper but as I have just shown, thats pretty debatable.

DoomMF 04-11-2010 08:40 PM

If the Rangers are moving in the right direction, other teams must be moving in a "righter" direction. :(

Jumbo* 04-11-2010 09:04 PM

Another one: Besides for wins, Lundqvist had a better year then last year in all categories.

edit - nm just saw you made mention of that as well.

glees68 04-11-2010 09:08 PM

Imagine if Sather makes that deal with Redden instead of Gomez...

KingWantsCup 04-11-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunnyEtch (Post 25096660)
Imagine if Sather makes that deal with Redden instead of Gomez...

Gomez was overpaid but that man could move the puck for us real well. He would have made Gaborik the MVP this year. Not that I'm not thankful we dumped his salary. He was a major contract that needed to go but I understand what you're saying. Redden is an unmovable contract unless taken with at least a second round pick in a trade.

broadwayblue 04-11-2010 10:06 PM

I agree, the future looks pretty good. I just wish we had a few more high picks to really get 1 more solid draft in before the team starts turning the corner. Not saying we won't have a good draft, just that with a top 5 pick and a few 2nd rounders it could have been a great draft.

Carl Hagelins Flow 04-11-2010 10:09 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was an improvement...

I look at this season and think that we just took a lateral step (i.e. no steps forward, no steps backward, but rather a step left or right).

If you were to consider this season an improvement, then many other teams drastically improved much more than we did and any improvement would be miniscule at best.

This team will not improve until deadbeats like Redden and Drury and Roszivals contracts are off the books.

Fitzy 04-11-2010 10:10 PM

Dubisnky improved, our PP improved, and two rookies had solid seasons. I see that as a step forward.

Carl Hagelins Flow 04-11-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 25098545)
Dubisnky improved, our PP improved, and two rookies had solid seasons. I see that as a step forward.

I look at the big picture when I discuss whether the TEAM improved (not individuals).

Sure, the PP improved, two rookies had good seasons (while another rookie looks like he's headed back to the AHL).

The team still looks like the same mediocre group we had in 08-09.

The Rangers have no "system" they have no identity. When you think of teams like the Red Wings they are a puck possession team that is physical and very disciplined. The Devils are a defense-first team that is disciplined and plays the neutral zone very tightly. What are the Rangers? A team reliant on their goaltender to win them games who has one threatening forward that everyone looks to pass to?

When Torts came here, I was excited because I thought we would finally get a "system" -- in Torts' case, an up-tempo safe is death offense oriented system kind of like the Capitals played last year and to a slightly lesser extent this year. We ditched that after the first 10 games and it seems like the team's been improvising every night since. I want us to have some rigid lines, not some hodgepodge mix and match new line every single night because our coach has ADD and can't let chemistry develop. (Renney drove me nuts about this too). Other teams keep their lines mostly intact, why can't we?

Until this team starts playing a system or establishing an identity, and going beyond 7th, 8th, or 9th place in the East, I will not consider it an improvement.

ck20 04-12-2010 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRfan89 (Post 25098774)
I look at the big picture when I discuss whether the TEAM improved (not individuals).

Sure, the PP improved, two rookies had good seasons (while another rookie looks like he's headed back to the AHL).

The team still looks like the same mediocre group we had in 08-09.

The Rangers have no "system" they have no identity. When you think of teams like the Red Wings they are a puck possession team that is physical and very disciplined. The Devils are a defense-first team that is disciplined and plays the neutral zone very tightly. What are the Rangers? A team reliant on their goaltender to win them games who has one threatening forward that everyone looks to pass to?

When Torts came here, I was excited because I thought we would finally get a "system" -- in Torts' case, an up-tempo safe is death offense oriented system kind of like the Capitals played last year and to a slightly lesser extent this year. We ditched that after the first 10 games and it seems like the team's been improvising every night since. I want us to have some rigid lines, not some hodgepodge mix and match new line every single night because our coach has ADD and can't let chemistry develop. (Renney drove me nuts about this too). Other teams keep their lines mostly intact, why can't we?

Until this team starts playing a system or establishing an identity, and going beyond 7th, 8th, or 9th place in the East, I will not consider it an improvement.

He tried to apply an up-tempo offense-first system, it failed (see: Staal), then everyone just floundered around and went back to relying on Hank to win us games. Sure, some games things clicked better than others, but there hasn't been any semblance of an "identity" for quite some time. The team looks to the coach to bring in something (God knows what at this point), the coach look to the team to bring their A-games which, in most cases, hasn't happened..then everyone just looks to Hank for a spectacular performance. And 9.9 times out of 10, he delivers and then some. And that's what kept us in just about every single game this season yet again.

Defense, in my opinion, is a lesser of the team's worries. They NEED real, consistent, versatile offensive power. It's sad that we had no one to really back up Gaby when other teams realized he was the only one that remembered why they showed up to the rink for the first 95% of the season. The last half decade has done nothing but reinforce this fact, yet it has yet to really be addressed outside of Gaby and, God willing, some of the prospects in the system actually are useful in the NHL one day. I guess only time will tell.

Radek27 04-12-2010 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustingo12 (Post 25094777)
Imagine if we still had Gomez instead of Gaborik.

Imagine if Gaborik had his usual 50 game injury? Then we would have had neither and been really screwed.

RangersFan681924 04-12-2010 11:11 AM

If we still had Gomez, we'd be in the playoffs.

I look at it this way. Last year we had NO goal scorer, made the playoffs and took one of the best teams in the league to 7 games.

This year, we get a goal scorer, miss the playoffs and would have been MURDERED by the Caps.

Point is, the Rangers will NEVER get close to being contenders if Sather keeps changing the roster and loosing key players EVERY season. I knew this team was headed downhill when they ket Jagr and comapny walk.

RangersFan681924 04-12-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunnyEtch (Post 25096660)
Imagine if Sather makes that deal with Redden instead of Gomez...

Dream come true!!! Gomez and Gabby on the same line would have been sick! Both are fast, Scotty has a great eye for the puck, Gabby with the great shot....UGH!!!!!!

nyr2k2 04-12-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersFan681924 (Post 25108601)
If we still had Gomez, we'd be in the playoffs.

I look at it this way. Last year we had NO goal scorer, made the playoffs and took one of the best teams in the league to 7 games.

This year, we get a goal scorer, miss the playoffs and would have been MURDERED by the Caps.

Point is, the Rangers will NEVER get close to being contenders if Sather keeps changing the roster and loosing key players EVERY season. I knew this team was headed downhill when they ket Jagr and comapny walk.

If we still had Gomez, we wouldn't have Gaborik. And certainly wouldn't be in the playoffs.

Bleed Ranger Blue 04-12-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersFan681924 (Post 25108601)
If we still had Gomez, we'd be in the playoffs.

I look at it this way. Last year we had NO goal scorer, made the playoffs and took one of the best teams in the league to 7 games.

This year, we get a goal scorer, miss the playoffs and would have been MURDERED by the Caps.

Point is, the Rangers will NEVER get close to being contenders if Sather keeps changing the roster and loosing key players EVERY season. I knew this team was headed downhill when they ket Jagr and comapny walk.

Acquiring players that were never fit for their role in the first place and then either trading them or letting them walk creates the illusion that we are "losing key players." Are those players really key when their inclusion in the roster would have just allowed mediocrity to continue???

The real issues is Sather's inability to acquire key players in the first place. Say hello to Chris Drury and Wade Redden receiving the money of a #1 center and #1 defenseman but falling FAR short of performing the roles.

Fitzy 04-12-2010 11:23 AM

Prospal scored as much this season as Gomez did last.

I'll take the 1.1 mil for 7.3 mil change there.

NYR Sting 04-12-2010 11:25 AM

Should have not signed anyone after trading Gomez. Then, we'd have had a very high pick this year, probably top 2. Pick a Hall or Seguin, and then have the money to sign Kovalchuk.

Not an insult to Gaborik, he's a great player, but like Lundqvist, his prime is just going to be wasted here.

Bluenote13 04-12-2010 11:25 AM

Sorry, this team was practically handed one of the last 3 playoff spots and they couldnt grab it. Too little too late, and no playoffs. I'll take last years team that made the playoffs w/o Gaborik or Del Z.

Tortarella took WAY too long to adjust once this team wasn't working, which was evident by early December.

The real failure is Sather. Kotalik, Higgins, Brashear, and the failure to get another Vet dman that made him go out an get Anders friggin Eriksson is what really cost this team points in the end.

NYR Sting 04-12-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersFan681924 (Post 25108601)
Point is, the Rangers will NEVER get close to being contenders if Sather keeps changing the roster and loosing key players EVERY season. I knew this team was headed downhill when they ket Jagr and comapny walk.

Gomez is not a key player. He's a mediocre second line center with one of the worst contracts in the league. The best transaction Sather made in his time in charge of this team is finding a way to trade that overrated loser for several things of value.

This team was headed downhill the day they signed Gomez and Drury. Had little to do with Jagr and friends.

Bleed Ranger Blue 04-12-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 25108966)
Sorry, this team was practically handed one of the last 3 playoff spots and they couldnt grab it. Too little too late, and no playoffs. I'll take last years team that made the playoffs w/o Gaborik or Del Z.

Tortarella took WAY too long to adjust once this team wasn't working, which was evident by early December.

The real failure is Sather. Kotalik, Higgins, Brashear, and the failure to get another Vet dman that made him go out an get Anders friggin Eriksson is what really cost this team points in the end.

Thats about it in a nutshell, especially in regards to Tortorella.

60+ games of brutal hockey sandwiched in between 2 nice runs at the start and end of the season. Just a stubborn, stubborn hockey coach.

But Sather is the culprit behind the curtain, as has been the case for the last 10 years. If his job comes into question, no doubt he'll have zero issue with throwing yet another coach under the bus.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.