HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   A Different Look at a Lost Season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=76303)

Kloucek's Ghost 05-06-2004 11:51 AM

A Different Look at a Lost Season

This is my first post on this board, but I have been reading all the stuff you guys (and girls?) have posted. Awesome stuff.

I was reading TSN.ca today and seeing headlines like, "Big changes ahead for Avalanche," or "Sweeping changes on the horizon for Leafs" etc.
My thinking is that the Rangers, had they made the playoffs, would have lost in the first round anyways and it would have been "Sweeping Changes for Rangers." However, instead of getting young prospects and picks for the guys they were to trade like Kovy and Barnaby and horrendous Malakhov, they would have gotten nothing at all and had just the usual amount of picks and no Balej.

So, instead of looking at it like the Rangers are in a dismal situation and years away from the playoffs, look at it like the Rangers have a step on the Redwings and Maple Leafs, eh?
7 picks in the first two rounds isn't shabby either.

Pass-the-Puck 05-06-2004 12:04 PM

Hopefully Sather picks up a few UFA's this summer so expectations are once again high, so when we miss the playoffs again he'll get canned. :shakehead

Fletch 05-06-2004 12:14 PM

Welcome, Ghost...

and yes, guys and girls is proper in this forum.

As for the different view, it's somewhat valid as the Rangers are starting their rebuild a bit before other teams who too have used the free agency channel somewhat, but had a base of players already established to support that use, will need to cleanse. And right now, they are in a very good position to build a team. The question is, how will Sather build. There will be some draft day trades and maneuvering, no doubt. He's not picking four times in the second round. I doubt he goes into the season with Rachunek, Poti, Pock, Kaspar, Tyutin and Dale as six defensemen with Kondratiev possibly making a push and Lampman making a push, along with the inevitable signing of at least one veteran UFA. Someone will be moved, perhaps with a #2, but who? He's also not starting the season, I believe, with Holik as his #1 center, and I don't think there a yoot in this organization suited to be that #1 center at this point as the competition seems to be Lundmark, Mike Green and Cory Larose.

And of course, there's goaltending and a coach. What direction does Sather go in both regards. There's good potential for youth, but perhaps not as early as this season. Dunaham's still signed, and is he done in Sather's eyes? Will he rely early on on a guy like McLennan? Or will one of those defenseman and/or a pick be moved for a goaltender? Or will he go UFA (at this point, it may be the team's best bet)?

Lotta room for Sather to still screw things up.

Bure9* 05-06-2004 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
and yes, guys and girls is proper in this forum.

As for the different view, it's somewhat valid as the Rangers are starting their rebuild a bit before other teams who too have used the free agency channel somewhat, but had a base of players already established to support that use, will need to cleanse. And right now, they are in a very good position to build a team. The question is, how will Sather build. There will be some draft day trades and maneuvering, no doubt. He's not picking four times in the second round. I doubt he goes into the season with Rachunek, Poti, Pock, Kaspar, Tyutin and Dale as six defensemen with Kondratiev possibly making a push and Lampman making a push, along with the inevitable signing of at least one veteran UFA. Someone will be moved, perhaps with a #2, but who? He's also not starting the season, I believe, with Holik as his #1 center, and I don't think there a yoot in this organization suited to be that #1 center at this point as the competition seems to be Lundmark, Mike Green and Cory Larose.

And of course, there's goaltending and a coach. What direction does Sather go in both regards. There's good potential for youth, but perhaps not as early as this season. Dunaham's still signed, and is he done in Sather's eyes? Will he rely early on on a guy like McLennan? Or will one of those defenseman and/or a pick be moved for a goaltender? Or will he go UFA (at this point, it may be the team's best bet)?

Lotta room for Sather to still screw things up.

Sam and JD said they will dip into the free agent market but there will no be big names coming our way. They want the center of this organization to be the kids. I expect Rucinsky, Barnaby, Conroy, Brown to come in. Not all but 2 or three.

BDubinskyNYR17* 05-06-2004 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bure9
Sam and JD said they will dip into the free agent market but there will no be big names coming our way. They want the center of this organization to be the kids. I expect Rucinsky, Barnaby, Conroy, Brown to come in. Not all but 2 or three.

Another guy we should look at especially on the LW and PK is Dean McAmmond. Sather had him in Edmonton and is very fast skater. I know Sather loves speed, but McAmmond could prolly help our PK and especially if we need help on LW. What you think? :yo:

Unknownbutfamous 05-06-2004 02:58 PM

And even if the UFA's don't pan out we could always trade them at the deadline. The same goes for Poti, and Dunham.

charliemurphy 05-06-2004 03:36 PM

Prucha-Lundmark-Jagr
Rucinsky-Holik-Balej
Moore/Wiseman-Lindros-Barnaby
Murray-Betts-Ortmeyer

Kasparaitis-Rachunek
Kondratiev-Tyutin
Poti-Pock

Dunham/Mclennan/Valiquette/Lundqvuist
:dunno:

Wouldn't be shocked if... Lundmark/Dunham/Poti/Rachunek/maybe some players from Hartford/ and some picks are moved in deals. Which is another story for another thread.
Behave. :teach:

Bluenote13 05-06-2004 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous
And even if the UFA's don't pan out we could always trade them at the deadline. The same goes for Poti, and Dunham.

Not exactly. You still have to see what the new CBA will bring to the table.

Kloucek's Ghost 05-06-2004 06:09 PM

Yes there are obviously way more questions marks, but at least the rangers aren't stuck with too many overpaid losers AND no picks in the draft.

There is way more excitement and youth right now as far as the Rangers go than in any year I can remember. And yes, it's going to be a dangerous time in which the rangers can make all the wrong moves that leave them mired in mediocrity, but they could also really stink it up and end up with a really high draft pick next year while developing players this year.

Oh it's a tangled web we weave.

charliemurphy 05-06-2004 09:13 PM

This may be a silly question, but would or could Dolan have any say in who Sather would hire as the new coach?
Granted, Dolan is clueless about Hockey and knows very well how to run both New York franchises into the ground (which should be another topic on a different thread altogether), but I would think that Dolan would take some interest.
Dolan. :shakehead This guy really scares me. Yes, scares me even more than Sather does.
Is Sather on any type of hot seat, in terms of accountability?
Accountability, a term he has tossed around very loosely since his arrival. :banghead: