HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NCAA, CIS, and other college (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Minnesota Golden Gophers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=763300)

MN_Gopher 04-13-2010 07:50 PM

Minnesota Golden Gophers
 
Well, its time a lot of changes. Even threads i guess. Go Gophers. 2011 NCAA Champions.

Dakota Sioux 04-13-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN_Gopher (Post 25144782)
Well, its time a lot of changes. Even threads i guess. Go Gophers. 2011 NCAA Champions.

I'd worry about making it to the tourney first.:D
Friendly jab.

MN_Gopher 04-13-2010 10:31 PM

The good thing, or the galss half full part is. One way or another next year will bring change. Either Lucia does it himself, or like others before him. A few losing seasons in Minny and your out.

No idea who we would get. Blais is out. I do not want a young unproven guy.

GopherState 04-14-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux (Post 25145683)
I'd worry about making it to the tourney first.:D
Friendly jab.

No shot about arrogance...you're getting soft Dakota ______.

Just returning the friendly jab.

Dakota Sioux 04-14-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 25150876)
No shot about arrogance...you're getting soft Dakota ______.

Just returning the friendly jab.

I leave the arrogance to rodent fans.:D

MN_Gopher 04-14-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux (Post 25152898)
I leave the arrogance to rodent fans.:D

Isn't that redundant? :p:

LetsThePuckGoBy 04-19-2010 10:50 AM

The Gophers will need to see some improvements from pretty much everyone on their roster as well as some big contributions from some of the incoming freshman in order to make the NCAA tourney next year.

It will be interesting to see who on this team steps up and takes on a leadership role. If anyone...

MN_Gopher 04-21-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsThePuckGoBy (Post 25292818)
The Gophers will need to see some improvements from pretty much everyone on their roster as well as some big contributions from some of the incoming freshman in order to make the NCAA tourney next year.

It will be interesting to see who on this team steps up and takes on a leadership role. If anyone...

As bad as the last few years have gone. I like the team for next year.

We have a lot of guys to choose from. Its not one extra D man and one forward or two. We could can a whole line if they perform poorly.

We do not have a go to guy. It was Schroeder last yeat, Stoa, Wheeler. it was obvious. This year it will be easy for tDon to create some urgency for playing time. Force players to work hard.

We have players will something to prove. Cepis did not come here to not win. Barriball did not red shirt to play .500 hockey. Kangas will be a senior and has yet to win an NCAA game. Fairchild wants his two year ago form back. White does not want to be a bust any more. if they step up thats another story.

Ambroz might be playing for the number 1 overal selection next year.

Buddish will be looking for a nice ro deal.

Matson. Stay healthy, thats all.

Its alot of what ifs. I would imagine at least one Vannelli will come through and the fresh will surprise. And its more of the same. new coach.

LetsThePuckGoBy 04-21-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN_Gopher (Post 25348754)
As bad as the last few years have gone. I like the team for next year.

We have a lot of guys to choose from. Its not one extra D man and one forward or two. We could can a whole line if they perform poorly.

We do not have a go to guy. It was Schroeder last yeat, Stoa, Wheeler. it was obvious. This year it will be easy for tDon to create some urgency for playing time. Force players to work hard.

We have players will something to prove. Cepis did not come here to not win. Barriball did not red shirt to play .500 hockey. Kangas will be a senior and has yet to win an NCAA game. Fairchild wants his two year ago form back. White does not want to be a bust any more. if they step up thats another story.

Ambroz might be playing for the number 1 overal selection next year.

Buddish will be looking for a nice ro deal.

Matson. Stay healthy, thats all.

Its alot of what ifs. I would imagine at least one Vannelli will come through and the fresh will surprise. And its more of the same. new coach.

They definitely have a bunch guys that have a lot to prove. They really could use a defenseman with a big shot that can run the power play. They actually need more forwards who can shoot well.

The defensemen need to play more physical and keep traffic from Kangas. The dmen they have are too small and get out muscled too easily -- especially Ness.

They need more guys who can go to the net and get garbage goals, like Cepis. Too often in the past, guys have been looking to score the "pretty" goals.

Having depth is good, but guys need to step it up and create some more competition on the team for starting spots.

MN_Gopher 04-21-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsThePuckGoBy (Post 25349249)
They definitely have a bunch guys that have a lot to prove. They really could use a defenseman with a big shot that can run the power play. They actually need more forwards who can shoot well.

The defensemen need to play more physical and keep traffic from Kangas. The dmen they have are too small and get out muscled too easily -- especially Ness.

They need more guys who can go to the net and get garbage goals, like Cepis. Too often in the past, guys have been looking to score the "pretty" goals.

Having depth is good, but guys need to step it up and create some more competition on the team for starting spots.

Schmidt has a rocket of a shot.

I think Ness is OK. Its when you are forced to compliment Ness with Wehrs that hurts. Helegson should play all games and will help.

Amroz is not a sniper, yet, but will play like or i hope he can play like Grant Potulny as a freshmen and just be a house in front.

I agree. we need to score lots of ugly goals. Or hope White and Hoeffel can carry the goal scoring load.

LetsThePuckGoBy 04-22-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN_Gopher (Post 25353335)
Schmidt has a rocket of a shot.

I think Ness is OK. Its when you are forced to compliment Ness with Wehrs that hurts. Helegson should play all games and will help.

Amroz is not a sniper, yet, but will play like or i hope he can play like Grant Potulny as a freshmen and just be a house in front.

I agree. we need to score lots of ugly goals. Or hope White and Hoeffel can carry the goal scoring load.

I forgot about Hoeffel...he will be key. He should be the go-to guy along with Barriball. White needs to step it up. I still can't believe he was a 1st round draft pick.

They need someone that can go to the net and get some goals. Last year nobody would go hard to the net and everyone was content with taking shots from outside.

I think Ness was with Fairchild and both are too undersized. They need to be paired with more of a stay at home d-man.

Is Schmidt playing next year? I don't like seeing Lucia bringing in these guys early from high school. They need more seasoning before they can make any impact.

MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE 04-22-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux (Post 25152898)
I leave the arrogance to rodent fans.:D

That is funny.

MN_Gopher 04-23-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsThePuckGoBy (Post 25380672)
I forgot about Hoeffel...he will be key. He should be the go-to guy along with Barriball. White needs to step it up. I still can't believe he was a 1st round draft pick.

They need someone that can go to the net and get some goals. Last year nobody would go hard to the net and everyone was content with taking shots from outside.

I think Ness was with Fairchild and both are too undersized. They need to be paired with more of a stay at home d-man.

Is Schmidt playing next year? I don't like seeing Lucia bringing in these guys early from high school. They need more seasoning before they can make any impact.

Schmidt played a full year of USHL hockey.

White still has a lot to offer. He just looks like a guy playing hockey. At Grand Rapids he was noticed on every play. Now, i wonder if he is playing in many games. Four years is a long wait for a project. But I would not count him out yet.

GopherState 04-23-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsThePuckGoBy (Post 25380672)
I forgot about Hoeffel...he will be key. He should be the go-to guy along with Barriball. White needs to step it up. I still can't believe he was a 1st round draft pick.

They need someone that can go to the net and get some goals. Last year nobody would go hard to the net and everyone was content with taking shots from outside.

I think Ness was with Fairchild and both are too undersized. They need to be paired with more of a stay at home d-man.

Is Schmidt playing next year? I don't like seeing Lucia bringing in these guys early from high school. They need more seasoning before they can make any impact.

White actually played pretty well towards the end of the season. I'm excited to see what he can do next year.

Agree and hopefully that's what Barriball and maybe someone like Bjugstad or Ambroz brings next year. You don't need all size, but you need some physicality and the U missed that last season.

Ness was only with Fairchild during the PP for part of the year although I do agree with what you wrote.

Schmidt will be playing next year at the U along with Mark Alt.

LetsThePuckGoBy 04-23-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 25400871)
White actually played pretty well towards the end of the season. I'm excited to see what he can do next year.

Agree and hopefully that's what Barriball and maybe someone like Bjugstad or Ambroz brings next year. You don't need all size, but you need some physicality and the U missed that last season.

Ness was only with Fairchild during the PP for part of the year although I do agree with what you wrote.

Schmidt will be playing next year at the U along with Mark Alt.

White probably should have played juniors for a year or two before coming to MN.

The for sure need some guys who play more physical.

Ness should be moved to wing. He's too small to play defense in the WCHA, I don't see how he's going to play defense in the NHL.

MN_Gopher 05-10-2010 12:06 AM

Not a shocker. Ryan Walters has de committed and is looking else where.

GopherState 05-10-2010 01:41 PM

Didn't that happen like two weeks ago?

MN_Gopher 05-11-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 25729863)
Didn't that happen like two weeks ago?

Yes, and its been coming for a long time. Walters is one of those guys that will cost Lucia his job.

"we need the local kids"

"we need four year players"

"we need guys with more junior experiance"

"we cannot let the good guys get away"

Well there are only so many spots. We fill up with older players that played lots of junior. Walters is local and ready to play D1. He would be a four year player. I'd still rather have all the others coming in in front of him. Walters is not a role player so i do not count the depth guys. Just Ambroz, Condon, Haula and Bjustad.

If Walters has a decent D1 career. He will be just another guy that Lucia let get away. Still had they brought him in and he is not up to speed. The masses would have called for an older USHL player.

Bottom line. Lucia needs to win as there is so much ammo in all directions as to what he has done wrong.

GopherState 05-21-2010 02:04 PM

Gonna miss Frank...always a class act.

MN_Gopher 07-03-2010 01:29 AM

Congrats to all the gopher draftees.

I always forget about Alt. Now that he can focus 100% on hockey i think he will be one to watch very closely.

Bjustad will be like Wheeler. Under the scope. Labeld a bust for the first half of his career then when he fills out goes to the show he will impress even more. Unlike Wheeler, Nick plays more physical. And should be noticed at an earlier stage.

Holl. Two names. Fischer, Martin. I have given up an guessing how O minded D men with patience from high school will turn out. Holl did look nice iun the USHL for a breif stint and his endurance combine scores looked solid.

Gardiner. A guy, a long term investment. Put him away for a few years then revisit it. Has a big tool box but is missing a few keys at the moment.

Marshal and Isackson. Again patience. Look for a big growth spurt or something major to change otherwise just shots in the dark.

GopherState 07-04-2010 02:52 AM

Quote:

Sat 03 Jul 2010
ARTHUR STAPLE

Unfortunately, Islanders fans, it is the building.

Garth Snow and the Isles got on the free-agent scoreboard Friday, adding four players, including veteran defensemen Mark Eaton and Milan Jurcina . Eaton won a Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh in 2009 and Penguins general manager Ray Shero called him "a quiet leader for us."

That's the good news.

The bad news is this: Snow made a tremendous pitch to get one of the elite free-agent defensemen, but they signed elsewhere Thursday. Paul Martin got a better offer from the Islanders than the five-year, $25- million contract he signed with the Penguins; Dan Hamhuis got a better offer from the Islanders than the six-year, $27-million deal he signed with the Canucks.

Former Devils defenseman Martin talked directly with Snow and asked him point-blank about Nassau Coliseum and what the situation was with the building, with the proposed Lighthouse project, with all of it.

"Garth was honest with him," Ben Hankinson, Martin 's agent, told Newsday. "Garth said the team was there for five more years. And I could just see it in Paul 's face . . . That building is going to be a huge hurdle for Garth to overcome with free agents like Paul ..."
Two Gophers turning down the Islanders because they don't have a properly developed arena. Good times.

BrodeursCups 07-24-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 26736817)
Two Gophers turning down the Islanders because they don't have a properly developed arena. Good times.

Wasn't surprised at ll when this came out. I mean, that arena is atrocious in every way. There are many, many high school arenas that are nicer:laugh:

At any rate, I'm not going to catch nearly as many Gopher games this year but you guys will definitely have an interesting team. Like others have stated, there isn't going to be that one standout like you guys usually have, but that's not to say there's not a lot of talent and potential there.

I really like Budish's game and I think he'll take a huge step forward this year and be near a PPG player. Of course, as a big Devils fan, I'm rooting for Hoeffel to have a dominant senior year and for Helgeson to improve.

Ness better be living in the weight room this offseason if he ever wants to reach his potential. Also, I'm curious to see how Cepis performs for a whole season with the Gophs. I was very impressed with him last year.

Dakota Sioux 07-25-2010 09:35 PM

Looks like a gopher forward will be kicked off the team for a year and the NHL team who drafted him doesn't want him sitting out a year.More details to come.

Teemu 07-27-2010 05:26 PM

Nick Leddy might bolt to the pros

http://wcco.com/sports/nick.leddy.bl...2.1827660.html

Dakota Sioux 07-27-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu (Post 27125806)

He is pretty much gone.Ness may follow.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.