HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Hockey bag size (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=763525)

joeydzzle 04-14-2010 09:30 AM

Hockey bag size

Sorry for all the noob equip questions.

I picked up the "mission wedge carry bag" from hockey outlet because it was cheap. Its size 40 x 17 x 15. I got it in the mail today and **** is massive. Its a lot of bigger than I thought it wud be.

What size do you recommend? What size do you use? Regardless I think I'm still going to use the bag bc a bags a bag. Rather spend $$ on a helmet than get another bag.

Jarick 04-14-2010 10:47 AM

I use 38" bags, could probably go down to 36" if I wanted, my stuff is all size M or so. Want a backpack though b/c of 3 flights of stairs in my apartment. My bag is in rough shape...2 of 3 shoulder straps are ripped off and tied together and lots of rips.

kirsi 04-14-2010 11:15 AM

at my lhs they had about two varieties of bags, so i just took one. don't know what the size is but i do know that i fit in it and could probably fit someone else in it with me :laugh: all my stuff is size small. but, i honestly don't mind how big it is. i mean, you already have it, and unless the size is somehow a problem... i'd say just stick with it until you need a new one.

WhipNash27 04-14-2010 11:22 AM

I wear all medium equipment, my stuff fits snugly into a 36" bag. It's much easier to carry around and easier to get it through the house without bashing walls and doors :).

Jarick 04-14-2010 12:03 PM

Woohoo just ordered a backpack bag...hopefully it's still in stock over at HM!

TinofGrizz 04-14-2010 01:12 PM

I recently got back into ice after taking about 2 yrs off. In my break I had bought a backpack bag because it was a lot easier on my shoulders/back when taking equipment to the airport. It is the Mission BSX backpack bag and there was no way all my ice equipment was fitting into it so I had to un-retire my old 36" Easton Stealth S5 bag to get the job done. The 36" fits all my small/medium equipment just fine for ice and whatever size that BSX bag is does a great job fitting all my inline stuff. I just wish there was another separate pocket for my shower sandals, nothing worse then throwing all your equipment in you bag, getting ready to walk to the showers just to realize I have to dump the whole bag out to get to the sandals at the bottom :rant:

densetsu 04-14-2010 04:39 PM

I'm 6'3" with a big frame, all my gear is XL. I have a 36" player bag and that fits my player gear just fine. I think it's 36" x 18" x 18". That said, most of my gear is older, small stuff (late 80's, early 90's). Modern gear tends to be way bigger.

Skraut 04-14-2010 04:57 PM

Just for the record I'm trying a bunch of new gear tonight, and bringing the old stuff in addition "Just in case" Have an extra pair of pants, gloves, and elbow pads all crammed into a 36" x 20 x 18 bag

I'm 6'4" everything is XL. Had to get a little creative with packing, but it all did fit.

shoeshine boy 04-15-2010 08:50 AM

I don't really understand why so many senior bags have gotten so mammoth. I have the Itech version of this bag: http://www.hockeygiant.com/baucrybagsr.html

the size is listed as Senior 39" x 16" x 16" (that includes pockets on each end)
I really think the height being only 16" really helps keep the bag from seeming gi-normous. I bought a Bauer Vapor XXXX bag once and the 20" height was beyond ridiculous.

Jarick 04-15-2010 09:03 AM

Well gear is way bigger. Shoulders used to be flimsy pieces of cotton and leather, now they're giant plastic and foam torso armor. Elbows have bicep and forearm protection rather than just elbow caps. And players themselves are a lot bigger than they used to be.

shoeshine boy 04-15-2010 09:22 AM

still though...all my gear is XL and my 16" height bag fits everything with room to spare......

joeydzzle 04-15-2010 10:31 AM

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-h...2009-36in.html

Any thoughts on this guy? Its pretty cheap and should be large enough right? If anyone else has suggestions on bags to buy, that'll be great. (Nothing to expensive tho)

WhipNash27 04-15-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeydzzle (Post 25185272)

Any thoughts on this guy? Its pretty cheap and should be large enough right? If anyone else has suggestions on bags to buy, that'll be great. (Nothing to expensive tho)

Not sure, IMO if you're going to go for a 36", go for one with a skate pouch in the front. Makes a big difference to me.

nystromshairstylist 04-15-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoeshine boy (Post 25184160)
still though...all my gear is XL and my 16" height bag fits everything with room to spare......

I'm pretty good at organizing, but even with a 40" bag I have trouble getting all of my most Large-size gear into it.

nystromshairstylist 04-15-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeydzzle (Post 25185272)

I have the same model in a 40" size, and its a great bag.

Jarick 04-15-2010 12:39 PM

Well I'm a little nervous now about that BSX backpack...hopefully it all fits. I can play the tetris game if need be...

shoeshine boy 04-21-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist (Post 25186740)
I'm pretty good at organizing, but even with a 40" bag I have trouble getting all of my most Large-size gear into it.

really? wow....my bag is 39x16x16 and I have enough room for extra equipment if I want it. last week one of my men's league teammates loaned his shin guards to a guy on my co-ed team knowing that I could bring them to our men's league game a few days later. I was able to fit the extra shins in my bag fairly easily.
I organize my bag like this:
bottom: shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves (stacked one on top of the other) and helmet
on top of that goes my pants with shin pads stuffed in the pant legs. finally socks, undergear and jersey finishes off the main compartment. skates go in the skate pockets and extra stuff goes in the end pockets.

Jarick 04-21-2010 01:05 PM

Got the BSX bag in last night...it's a tight fit but all my stuff goes in there. Really well made, and I like having large and small external pockets. I was surprised by how big it was though (external size)...thought I'd save some space compared to my old bag but not really. Will make three flights of narrow stairs much easier though.

Briere Up There* 04-21-2010 02:09 PM

Someone handed me a bag on the crappy select team I "made" about 8 years ago and I've used that bag ever since. I'll use it until the zipper breaks or it rips.

I don't want to use those spaceship looking bags they sell now.

nystromshairstylist 04-21-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoeshine boy (Post 25352141)
really? wow....my bag is 39x16x16 and I have enough room for extra equipment if I want it. last week one of my men's league teammates loaned his shin guards to a guy on my co-ed team knowing that I could bring them to our men's league game a few days later. I was able to fit the extra shins in my bag fairly easily.
I organize my bag like this:
bottom: shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves (stacked one on top of the other) and helmet
on top of that goes my pants with shin pads stuffed in the pant legs. finally socks, undergear and jersey finishes off the main compartment. skates go in the skate pockets and extra stuff goes in the end pockets.

Interesting placement. I put the helmet inside the top of the pants, and the elbow pads inside each pants leg, never tried the shins as I figured they'd be too long, and might snag onto something inside the pants and tear the pants.

I do carry 2 jerseys (white/dark), a t-shirt, long-sleeve t-shirt to wear after playing, an extra jock and jock boxershorts, lots of tape, extra laces, towel, rag, etc., so that might be a part of the issue.