HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Babchuk wants return a Cane (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=763545)

dmonk 04-14-2010 09:57 AM

Babchuk wants return a Cane

TAKE ME BACK JIMMY BOY!!!

Quote:

Rutherford believes Anton Babchuk wants to come back to the NHL and has had initial conversations with his agent.

UnPLEASED Anton 04-14-2010 09:59 AM

From Chip

"Rutherford not ruling out bringing back Anton Babchuk. Has talked to his agent recently and is pursuing it."

Plz to do this

WhiteTrashAmerican 04-14-2010 09:59 AM

Thank god...I loved Babchuk

What the Faulk 04-14-2010 10:00 AM

Chip agrees:

Quote:

Rutherford not ruling out bringing back Anton Babchuk. Has talked to his agent recently and is pursuing it.
Though I have a feeling it's either him or a UFA

faulkingdynamic 04-14-2010 10:03 AM

Oh god here we go again....maybe they can work out a trade this time

UnPLEASED Anton 04-14-2010 10:04 AM

Come on...for a 4th-6th Dman... he is more than competent and is an absolute THREAT from the back end

Chrispy 04-14-2010 10:05 AM

I think Babchuk is likely to be signed either way, Sam. If Babchuk signs and the Canes sign a UFA, Babchuk could be good trade bait or would end up on the bottom pairing and Pothier could go elsewhere. We can feel confident Pitkanen, Gleason, McBain, and Carson will be back. I think we fill out the 6 with 2 of Babchuk, Pothier, and a UFA, with Picard as a backup plan or #7.

Length of contract for Babchuk will be interesting. Am I correct that Babchuck would be a UFA in 2011 at age 27, or is he still 2 years from UFA?

dmonk 04-14-2010 10:08 AM

Imagine, how pissed off fans on CH forum and facebook are going to be if he is back.

UnPLEASED Anton 04-14-2010 10:12 AM

haha. He could score 16 goals next year, lead in +/- and send the team to the playoffs and still people would burn their jerseys/tickets as if Cole had been traded

:sarcasm:

faulkingdynamic 04-14-2010 10:13 AM

Babchuk and Pothier would take us out of the Dman market....though i guess it would free up more money for a possible impact winger for Staal since im sure Anton would be coming back on the cheap.

This D group would still be too soft for me, full of poke-checkers.

StormCast 04-14-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eerodynamic (Post 25155768)
Babchuk and Pothier would take us out of the Dman market....though i guess it would free up more money for a possible impact winger for Staal since im sure Anton would be coming back on the cheap.

This D group would still be too soft for me, full of poke-checkers.

Yes, but I think if Babchuk is brought back to play (instead of being signed to trade), then Pothier would be allowed to walk and a more physical D would be brought in via FA or trade. Outside of Gleason that would be the most finesse group of Dmen you could assemble.

Guerzy 04-14-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormCast (Post 25156010)
Yes, but I think if Babchuk is brought back to play (instead of being signed to trade), then Pothier would be allowed to walk and a more physical D would be brought in via FA or trade. Outside of Gleason that would be the most finesse group of Dmen you could assemble.

JR has a difficult time finding a common ground with the defence. We're either not mobile enough with too much grit or we're too mobile with not enough grit.

caniac247 04-14-2010 10:53 AM

Hopefully he trades him at the draft :p:

Pitkanen and Gleason are for sure here since they have contracts.

Branecky hinted that Carson and Picard would be given contracts since they are RFAs

That leaves 2 spots open on D. Guess its save to assume two of the three will take up the spots: Pothier, Babchuk, Free Agent

ETA: I forgot about McBain who I've heard is essentially on the team. So there is only 1 spot up for grabs.

Guy 04-14-2010 10:55 AM

faulkingdynamic 04-14-2010 10:56 AM

IMO Picard cannot be counted on to play regular minutes.........though some might say that Picard and Babchuk are awfully similar and it would be a bit surprising to see both of them on the roster.

DaveG 04-14-2010 11:08 AM

Picard would probably be the #7 guy if he is infact reatined. Carson is much better defensively and I just can't see him beating out any of the other 5 for a roster spot.

CptKirk 04-14-2010 11:14 AM

Anyone up for a wager? Perhaps bug somebody to set up a vbookie?

Sasha Cares 04-14-2010 12:37 PM

Joni-McBain
Gleason-Pothier
Carson- Babchuk

I'm not sure i'd be upset by that

Chrispy 04-14-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG (Post 25156849)
Picard would probably be the #7 guy if he is infact reatined. Carson is much better defensively and I just can't see him beating out any of the other 5 for a roster spot.

Picard as #7 is exactly what I'm expecting unless multiple options don't work out. I doubt he'd end up much higher than $950K next year even though he is arbitration eligible. That said, they could see $400K or so as too large a difference between Harrison and Picard, especially if Harrison is on a 2-way deal again. I hope they don't, but it's possible.

Blueline Bomber 04-14-2010 01:26 PM

Babchuk for the All-Star game.

Breaking Chara's slapshot record easily :sarcasm:

ONO94 04-14-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 25156928)
Anyone up for a wager? Perhaps bug somebody to set up a vbookie?

I'm going with Babs on a sign and trade with MTL, because they love hard shooting, non-defense playing d-men or maybe edmonton because Souray is rumored to want out. I could live with a trade of Babs to EDM for a switch of Edmonton's second round pick postition (they still have the first pick in the second correct?) with one of the Canes mid 2nd round picks. That way the Canes get a higher pick to use to move into the 1st for a second time--or to use on the player that will inevitably fall out of the first round--and EDM gets a player and a pick to build with.

Vagrant 04-14-2010 04:15 PM

I don't know how I would feel about Babchuk coming back. Don't get me wrong, I loved him as a player and think he could really contribute to our team next year but I hate the feeling that he would be some kind of mercenary that would leave our team regardless after next season was over. Also, it would probably take time away from McBain on the powerplay and I really want to see what that kid has over the course of a full season.

What the Faulk 04-14-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vagrant (Post 25164026)
I don't know how I would feel about Babchuk coming back. Don't get me wrong, I loved him as a player and think he could really contribute to our team next year but I hate the feeling that he would be some kind of mercenary that would leave our team regardless after next season was over. Also, it would probably take time away from McBain on the powerplay and I really want to see what that kid has over the course of a full season.

Pitkanen, Babchuk, McBain, Pothier/Picard/Carson/Rodney/whoever not named Gleason. That works for me

I'd also be OK with him leaving after 1 season, if that's what he wants to do. Better than him staying in the KHL for the rest of his career.

canesnecu 04-14-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONO94 (Post 25163543)
I'm going with Babs on a sign and trade with MTL, because they love hard shooting, non-defense playing d-men or maybe edmonton because Souray is rumored to want out. I could live with a trade of Babs to EDM for a switch of Edmonton's second round pick postition (they still have the first pick in the second correct?) with one of the Canes mid 2nd round picks. That way the Canes get a higher pick to use to move into the 1st for a second time--or to use on the player that will inevitably fall out of the first round--and EDM gets a player and a pick to build with.

B-I-N-G-O
Sign and trade since this is the last chance Rutherford could get something for him before he gets released from his exile. Edmonton sounds about right for his next exile in his contract year cuz Sheldon Souray said he wants out, who else are they gettin to go up there? Key words from Rutherford:

Quote:

“I have had a couple of initial conversations with Babchuk’s agent,” said Rutherford. “I do believe he wants to come back to North America. He was a good player for us a few years ago, but he got caught up in the contract thing and he got impatient. He’s still a pretty young guy at 26 years old who had 16 goals for us two years ago and can help any power play in the league. In the near future I will continue to pursue trying to get him on a contract and bring him back.”
Nothing about Babs wanting to come back to Raleigh. Still throwing daggers out about his attitude. If he wanted him here he would have said he could help our PP. Dude picks his words very carefully. He worked hard to trade him somewhere last year when Babs's agent said no go to JR's QO. He also must read this board cuz he did mention the 16 goals! :handclap: This would be a great sign and trade for a defenseman if we dont draft one NHL ready.

Lets go Sharks and the Secret Weapon!

What the Faulk 04-14-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canesnecu (Post 25164210)
B-I-N-G-O
Sign and trade since this is the last chance Rutherford could get something for him before he gets released from his exile. Edmonton sounds about right for his next exile in his contract year cuz Sheldon Souray said he wants out, who else are they gettin to go up there? Key words from Rutherford:

Nothing about Babs wanting to come back to Raleigh. Still throwing daggers out about his attitude. If he wanted him here he would have said he could help our PP. Dude picks his words very carefully. He worked hard to trade him somewhere last year when Babs's agent said no go to JR's QO. He also must read this board cuz he did mention the 16 goals! :handclap: This would be a great sign and trade for a defenseman if we dont draft one NHL ready.

Lets go Sharks and the Secret Weapon!

You didn't just say that about the man who dropped the line "These is the times".

In any event I think you're reading too far into that quote.