HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Andrew Gross: Avery discusses his struggling season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=763574)

Loffen 04-14-2010 12:06 PM

Avery discusses his struggling season
 
Interesting writeup... http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...avery_and_a.v/

Quote:

“The knee is getting better every day,” Avery said. “It’s certainly disappointing I didn’t get an opportunity to get back in there and help the guys. It’s definitely frustrating. I kind of found my game toward the end.

“I think I had some good games, some bad games, some just OK games,” Avery added. “I’m certainly not ecstatic about my year. I’m disappointed with the consistency. I was trying to find my game, trying to feel comfortable with what was asked of me.”

Avery said he tried to stay within himself.

“Probably too much, if anything,” Avery said. “That’s what took awhile, to find where I needed to be. I’m disappointed it didn’t happen sooner. The good thing is it did happen and that’s something i can sit with over the summer.”

And Avery believes it should lead to him starting next season at that level of comfort with his play and how he needs to play. Missing the playoffs should provide everybody’s motivation for the summer.

“It’s tough to play in New York,” Avery said. “It’s even tougher to play in New York without making the playoffs. That’s what should fuel the guys’ fire.”


- The quick summary is that Avery felt it took him a long time this season to get comfortable and figure out exactly how he should be playing, finding that balance between being his agitating best and not running afoul of coach John Tortorella’s desire to see him stay on the right side of the line.

Carl Hagelins Flow 04-14-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoFFeN (Post 25156819)

A lot of it makes sense. I wouldn't put all the blame on him but rather a combination on him and Torts. Torts sent mixed messages to Avery and many of the players this season with his whole "stay within the team concept" crap and while that type of thinking is good, in reality I feel it leads to trepidation on the ice -- not wanting to make the mistake that gives the other team a powerplay and second guessing your actions.

For a guy like Sean, his whole game revolves around walking the fine line of not getting penalized yet managing to draw penalties in his favor. Renney was pretty "hands-off" when it came to Avery... if he took a bad penalty, whatever he just kept on going and would make up for it in the long run. With Torts, if Sean took a bad penalty he was punished and I think that hurt him in the early-middle part of the season. Once he found the game that the coaching staff was happy with and that he was comfortable with, he got hurt. Disappointing for sure.

truebluegoalie 04-14-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRfan89 (Post 25158824)
A lot of it makes sense. I wouldn't put all the blame on him but rather a combination on him and Torts. Torts sent mixed messages to Avery and many of the players this season with his whole "stay within the team concept" crap and while that type of thinking is good, in reality I feel it leads to trepidation on the ice -- not wanting to make the mistake that gives the other team a powerplay and second guessing your actions.

For a guy like Sean, his whole game revolves around walking the fine line of not getting penalized yet managing to draw penalties in his favor. Renney was pretty "hands-off" when it came to Avery... if he took a bad penalty, whatever he just kept on going and would make up for it in the long run. With Torts, if Sean took a bad penalty he was punished and I think that hurt him in the early-middle part of the season. Once he found the game that the coaching staff was happy with and that he was comfortable with, he got hurt. Disappointing for sure.

I don't think it helped that he got called for EVERYTHING.

Black Tank 04-14-2010 06:06 PM

Tortorella's confused messaging to Avery ( and also Staal) makes me laugh thinking about what he would tell Volcehnkov: don't get out of position to make hits, don't block shots - pursue the puck instead, and stop being a one dimensional defensive dman...

Problem number one for me is Tortorella, Avery is just one of the players that Tortorella made worse this year by trying to take them away from their game.

Matteau Matteau 04-14-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRfan89 (Post 25158824)
A lot of it makes sense. I wouldn't put all the blame on him but rather a combination on him and Torts. Torts sent mixed messages to Avery and many of the players this season with his whole "stay within the team concept" crap and while that type of thinking is good, in reality I feel it leads to trepidation on the ice -- not wanting to make the mistake that gives the other team a powerplay and second guessing your actions.

For a guy like Sean, his whole game revolves around walking the fine line of not getting penalized yet managing to draw penalties in his favor. Renney was pretty "hands-off" when it came to Avery... if he took a bad penalty, whatever he just kept on going and would make up for it in the long run. With Torts, if Sean took a bad penalty he was punished and I think that hurt him in the early-middle part of the season. Once he found the game that the coaching staff was happy with and that he was comfortable with, he got hurt. Disappointing for sure.

Agreed...and like the guy below you said, it doesn't help when the refs call everything on Avery (and basically let everyone else do whatever hey want to him) and then Torts puts him in the doghouse for taking a penalty. He'd be even better at drawing penalties IMO if the refs called him fairly.

I still think Torts benching Avery in the Caps series last season was a tremendous mistake.

I hope Avery is here to stay and has a great year next season.

HVPOLARBEARS19 04-14-2010 08:29 PM

I think what showed this year is that when Avery is doing what he needs to be doing, we are a completely different team, and no one is a better antagonist than he is.

But, when Avery is flat, it usually carries over. I don't know which causes which exactly, but when Avery sucked it seemed like the rest of the team didn't feed off of his craziness, and that is when we had some of the most demoralizing, lackluster losses.

I'm not saying Avery is the key to our success, but they way he played usually reflected how the whole team played. He has the ability to be a huge catalyst, but the consistency wasn't there this year.

Nonetheless, I want him on this team.

Kind of Blue 04-15-2010 10:52 AM

This thread is oddly quiet. I'm going to say that's because, (1) the Avery supporters have grown weary of defending him, e.g., nyr2k2; and (2) the reasonableness of Avery's comments make it difficult for the Avery detractors to take a shot at him.

Loffen 04-15-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kind of Blue (Post 25184599)
and (2) the reasonableness of Avery's comments make it difficult for the Avery detractors to take a shot at him.

I like the way you think, KoB.

Kind of Blue 04-15-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoFFeN (Post 25184669)
I like the way you think, KoB.

Right back at ya kid

Bluenote13 04-15-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kind of Blue (Post 25184599)
This thread is oddly quiet. I'm going to say that's because, (1) the Avery supporters have grown weary of defending him, e.g., nyr2k2; and (2) the reasonableness of Avery's comments make it difficult for the Avery detractors to take a shot at him.

Sorry, its not and will never be reasonable for a 30 yr old veteran of the league to take half a season to find himself. Is Sean's game really Rocket Science? Did Tortarella ask him to lift the moon on his shoulders??

Headcase.

Kind of Blue 04-15-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 25184733)
Sorry, its not and will never be reasonable for a 30 yr old veteran of the league to take half a season to find himself. Is Sean's game really Rocket Science? Did Tortarella ask him to lift the moon on his shoulders??

Headcase.

Yeah, how could adjusting to John Tortorella not be smooth sailing? It was for eveyone else on the team...

offdacrossbar 04-15-2010 11:13 AM

sean didnt show up enough this season. period.

since this is the time of year that excuses are in vogue, he seems to be making his case as to why he pretty much suked all season, but for a few select games where he may have been our best player.

its always the same with sean.

hes too wrapped up in being sean avery off the ice which keeps him from being the sean avery we need on the ice.

Bluenote13 04-15-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kind of Blue (Post 25184779)
Yeah, how could adjusting to John Tortorella not be smooth sailing? It was for eveyone else on the team...

Oh did it take everyone almost a full season to 'get it' ? My bad....

So then next year everything should be smooth sailing, gotcha, gonna hold ya to that too;)

Kind of Blue 04-15-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 25185087)
Oh did it take everyone almost a full season to 'get it' ? My bad....

So then next year everything should be smooth sailing, gotcha, gonna hold ya to that too;)

It seems clear to me that the team's captain (among others) also went through a relatively rocky adjustment period under Tortorella, one that lasted for at least half a season. And say what you will about Drury, but he's no headcase, as you said Avery is (mind you, Avery's measured, honest, rational comments seem to clash with what one might expect from a headcase). So, point being, if Avery wasn't the only one, and alleged headcases and nonheadcases alike struggled somewhat to adjust, maybe your criticism is a little unfair, and you should be a little more understanding and just take his comments at face value.

nyr2k2 04-15-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kind of Blue (Post 25184599)
This thread is oddly quiet. I'm going to say that's because, (1) the Avery supporters have grown weary of defending him, e.g., nyr2k2; and (2) the reasonableness of Avery's comments make it difficult for the Avery detractors to take a shot at him.

Yeah, pretty much. I mean when it was the whole, "he's a disgrace, blight on the game," etc, that was one thing...but it's now come to people just making **** up about him. I have no desire to get involved in that. I'll just shut my mouth and continue to enjoy having him on my team.

Bluenote13 04-15-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kind of Blue (Post 25185234)
It seems clear to me that the team's captain (among others) also went through a relatively rocky adjustment period under Tortorella, one that lasted for at least half a season. And say what you will about Drury, but he's no headcase, as you said Avery is (mind you, Avery's measured, honest, rational comments seem to clash with what one might expect from a headcase). So, point being, if Avery wasn't the only one, and alleged headcases and nonheadcases alike struggle somewhat to adjust, maybe your criticism is a little unfair and you should be a little more understanding and just take his comments at face value.

I think it was Torts that came around to Dru, he finally put him on the PP and guess what, he produced like his old numbers, what a revelation !

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 25185332)
Yeah, pretty much. I mean when it was the whole, "he's a disgrace, blight on the game," etc, that was one thing...but it's now come to people just making **** up about him. I have no desire to get involved in that. I'll just shut my mouth and continue to enjoy having him on my team.

Did I make anything up? He took half a season to understand the coach. A 30 yr old veteran who is not asked to produce points every night, do, ya know, what he does for a living.

Again, the guys very entertaining and believe in team, the problem is he doesnt like to march to everyone else's drum. He has to do it HIS way....but he only does that for the team ! :propeller

nyr2k2 04-15-2010 11:43 AM

BN, we don't see eye to eye on Avery, but I was NOT referencing you with the "makes **** up" bit. Other posters in other threads. So now I have no desire to talk about him anymore, even with rational posters such as you.

Kind of Blue 04-15-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 25185473)
I think it was Torts that came around to Dru, he finally put him on the PP and guess what, he produced like his old numbers, what a revelation

With all due respect, that's a very shortsighted view. Their relationship this season and Drury's effectiveness goes beyond the powerplay. I don't want to turn an Avery thread into a Drury thread -- we've probably had enough of the former and certainly had more than enough of the latter -- but I respectfully disagree.

Bluenote13 04-15-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 25185528)
BN, we don't see eye to eye on Avery, but I was NOT referencing you with the "makes **** up" bit. Other posters in other threads. So now I have no desire to talk about him anymore, even with rational posters such as you.

Gotcha.

We're all frustrated, but we are NYR fans we should be used to this;)

TheSchwab 04-15-2010 12:17 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Avery have a nice bounceback year next year seeing as he just turned 30. Statistically speaking ages 30-31 see a small bounceback in terms of PPG over a career.

Bluenote13 04-15-2010 12:42 PM

What about the Dallas game?

Ask yourself, where was that player before and many times after? 'Lost' because he couldn't figure out his pretty simple albeit frustrating role.

Its frustrating to be the pest. I was a similar player and it sucked to get called for every little thing, but ya know what, that comes with the territory and I didn't mind losing icetime cause the team would win with me playing like that more than not.

This is a guy that often is called 'the guy who gets our team going'. Now I like to think Callahan does just as much, and the majority of fans think that, but lets say he does. Do you feel comfortable with the Torts/Avery relationship one year in? The positive diehard will say 'yeah they both learned and they both respect one another, etc, etc'. Optimistic, but can we really bank on these two 'coming to grips' with each other.

I swear, this team has been a soap opera more than its been about hockey, you old timers know the deal, I gotta say it makes me laugh in the end, so the sob's gave me my entertainment in the end anyway:laugh:

Although, a very expensive cheap thrill :propeller

chosen 04-16-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kind of Blue (Post 25184599)
This thread is oddly quiet. I'm going to say that's because, (1) the Avery supporters have grown weary of defending him, e.g., nyr2k2; and (2) the reasonableness of Avery's comments make it difficult for the Avery detractors to take a shot at him.

Or, most folks understand that what someone says is unimportant. All that matters is how they perform.

I think there was a thread before the season that featured quotes by Avery as proof that he now understands what it will take from him in the upcoming season.

This caused some of his supporters to go into a tizzy of how great he is and how much better he will be in the coming years. Didn't work out that way.

Maybe the second time it happens it ceases to have any meaning at all, even to those that bought the show the first time. Maybe not.

Boy, I sure hope it was Avery that was the one who did this the first time or I'll be flat-wrong. Hey, it happens.

Edit: While looking for the thread in question, I found this one: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=638083

Pretty funny in retrospect.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.