HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Questions about starting a hockey school (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=763658)

Snip Genos 04-14-2010 01:54 PM

Questions about starting a hockey school

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this but I'm interested in having morning hockey practices a couple times a week this winter for players who want extra ice time.

I'm just looking for any information on this because it's something that I really wanted to do for a long time now. Thanks.

noobman 04-14-2010 02:45 PM

You'll need a lot more information than that.

Are you a beginner yourself that's just looking to grab some guys for extra ice time? Are you a good hockey player looking to share his knowledge? Are you a coach looking into running hockey programs?

In any case... getting ice time won't be hard. Getting people and managing your finances will be difficult. If you're in one of the latter two categories mentioned above, what are your qualifications for teaching/coaching/training?

Snip Genos 04-14-2010 05:55 PM

I'm a hockey player looking to share my knowledge. I'm 19 so I don't have any experience in teaching/coaching/training but I know that I can help players improve a lot.

How difficult would it be to manage my finances?

Chalupa Batman 04-14-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinkorswim (Post 25166307)
I'm 19 so I don't have any experience in teaching/coaching/training but I know that I can help players improve a lot.

Out of curiosity, how do you know that? Speaking as a coach, coaching is difficult.

kirsi 04-14-2010 06:26 PM

i dont have any help about your original idea, but maybe you could volunteer your time or try to get hired with a school (or rink or whatever) that already exists? then you could get experience, be mentored, and not have to worry about issues like managing finances and recruiting students.

and if they don't have classes/sessions during the times you are thinking about, you could bring that up and volunteer yourself to be involved.

predfan24 04-14-2010 08:57 PM

While I admire your courage and potential entrepreneurship skills. There are a lot of hockey schools out there with top notch instructors and programs. Personally I wouldn't pay for a class led by a 19 year old unless he was a Pro. I think you would find that sentiment shared by many. Good luck though!!

predfan24 04-14-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirsi (Post 25167243)
i dont have any help about your original idea, but maybe you could volunteer your time or try to get hired with a school (or rink or whatever) that already exists? then you could get experience, be mentored, and not have to worry about issues like managing finances and recruiting students.

and if they don't have classes/sessions during the times you are thinking about, you could bring that up and volunteer yourself to be involved.

Bingo, Experience is key. Building a resume is key. Just like in any other job you can't hop to the top of the molehill without putting in your time.

Semper Sens 04-14-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predfan24 (Post 25173447)
While I admire your courage and potential entrepreneurship skills. There are a lot of hockey schools out there with top notch instructors and programs. Personally I wouldn't pay for a class led by a 19 year old unless he was a Pro. I think you would find that sentiment shared by many. Good luck though!!

I definitely would, if it was a hell of a lot cheaper and I wouldn't have to feel intimidated by a pro. I think it'd be perfect for guys like me, house players, who have never really been "coached." It sounds like a great idea, we all try to do it anyways (glean info from the best guys on the bench).

edit: I don't know where you are, but the outdoor rinks in Ottawa can be booked for free I think (if it's not free, it`s definitely a lot cheaper than renting an indoor sheet).

Headcoach 04-15-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinkorswim (Post 25160595)
I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this but I'm interested in having morning hockey practices a couple times a week this winter for players who want extra ice time.

I'm just looking for any information on this because it's something that I really wanted to do for a long time now. Thanks.

Wow! This is as good of a place to ask this question then any other place. I started coaching other kids at the age of 15. I started with the Mites, Squirts, and Peewee age groups. It hard for an adult to take you seriously if you are not a whiz kid on skates unless you are going to allow them to come and skate for free.

The problem is the ice cost for an hour if you are going to do this indoors. Here in the United States, depending on what part of the country you are in, Ice cost are going to range from $200 USD to $425.00 USD per hour.

So, if you are going to run this camp, you first have to figure out how long this camp is going to be and how many times a week this camp will be held throughout the week.

Let's say you are going to have an 8 week camp that will be held twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday morning. This means you will take 8 weeks times the number of sheets per week. This means you will need a total of 16 ice sheets for your camp.

Now, let's say for G.P., the rink boss will charge you $200.00 for 6:00 AM ice which is off peak. This means that you will have an ice bill for 16 sheets at $3,200.00 This really isn't a big deal.

The big deal is finding enough people to join your camp to pay for the ice. So how do you do this? First, in order for you to promote your camp, you will have to figure out exactly what each players cost will be to join the camp.

To do this you need to start with the $200.00 ice cost. How many players would you need to have a decent camp? 5, 10, 15, 20, 25...30?

Let's say you can get 10 players to join the camp. This means that it would cost each player $20.00 to pay for the ice. Now, generally a parent will pay around $12.00 a slot for an 8 week program. This means that if you only had 10 players at $20.00 per slot (16 Slots) then it will cost each player...$320.00 for an 8 week program.

How, this does not include camp jerseys which you can get for about $5.50 each at a jersey manufactures that make practice jersey's. They will silk screen you camp name on them for a few pennies more.

Do you want to offer the players some type of certificate? This might cost you some design work and some printing costs.

Are you going to evaluate the players before they start and after they finish the program?

I was coaching as an assistant coach for 15 years before I became a head coach. Then after 5 years of doing that, I became a hockey director. Now, I develop programs for youth groups and rink owners. It's not that hard, but I have been doing this now for over 30 years.

Good Luck!
Head coach

Snip Genos 04-16-2010 11:55 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I wanted to get information and ideas on this and I got some good stuff. I think I'l probably take kirsi's advice and volunteer at hockey schools to at least see how it is and get some experience.

Snip Genos 04-16-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor No (Post 25166423)
Out of curiosity, how do you know that? Speaking as a coach, coaching is difficult.

Yeah, I have no doubt that coaching is difficult. What I want to do is get players who are already coached a bit and have decent technique in skating and puck skills. I would make them do drills to improve all of those skills and teach them new things but just getting the extra ice time will make them better.

jagged 04-16-2010 12:37 PM

Most of the hockey schools in my area boast about having a former NHLer or someone who's worked in the NHL as a coach/trainer as their main instructor.

HowToHockey 04-17-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinkorswim (Post 25213267)
Yeah, I have no doubt that coaching is difficult. What I want to do is get players who are already coached a bit and have decent technique in skating and puck skills. I would make them do drills to improve all of those skills and teach them new things but just getting the extra ice time will make them better.

The hardest part of teaching children is getting them to listen to you. I enjoy teaching as well, but instead of starting a hockey school I put an ad in the paper for one on one teaching at an outdoor rink for $20 an hour (pay for gas, and I would usually stay as long as the kid wanted)

I would love to start a hockey school but that is a big undertaking. You can't do it on your own, you would likely need to have a few people on the ice at once.

Your best bet is to just teach a few players, get a feel for what it takes, then move up.

Start small, one player, then a few more, maybe volunteer to coach, and then maybe teach power skating once a week as a lot of parents are interested in getting their children some extra ice time.

Once you have some cred in the local community it will be a lot easier to get people to sign up for a hockey camp.

Headcoach 04-18-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagged (Post 25213770)
Most of the hockey schools in my area boast about having a former NHLer or someone who's worked in the NHL as a coach/trainer as their main instructor.

Just because a player has been in the NHL doesn't give them a license to coach or teach, seen that too many times. You have to know how to communicate with kids in different ways and at all levels from Mini-mites to Juniors.

Each player will understand what you are trying to tell him at different rates. It's just like teaching class at school. Some will get it by just telling them, others will understand what you are saying by showing them.

Now, I have a friend from Europe that coaches and can't skate very well. But he is like a magnet. Every kid wants to be in his power skating class...even NHL players.
The amazing thing is, he knows how to communicate his theories to the player in such a way, that he doesn't actually show them, but by the time you finish his school, you are doing all of the drills perfectly and with speed.

The stuff that he teaches is out of the box thinking on power skating. It's not the same old thing that you see at camps year after year. And because it's different, parents are paying big money to get into his class....amazing I tell you. Oh, and he's never been in the NHL, he's a math teacher that knows how to communicate with kids. Go figure!

So, I guess what I am telling you is that you have to have a special niche on how you train kids. I have worked with him for 6 years and it is amazing how he is able to do the whole thing by himself. He does it on a camp level and I do it on a program level. But he's really good.

Head coach