HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What would Martin Gerber fetch? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=76372)

GSG #18 05-06-2004 05:52 PM

What would Martin Gerber fetch?

Would he fetch a second round pick? Maybe would he and a third get another player and a second? Just curious as to what people figure he would fetch in a trade. He seems to be a guy with starting capabilities.

leafaholix* 05-06-2004 05:54 PM

I'd give up Tomas Kaberle for him and a 1st.

GSG #18 05-06-2004 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix

Can't see the Ducks doing that seeing as their first will be pretty high (9th overall) and Gerber looks like he could be a solid starting goalie. I think it would have to be Kaberle + something else to get him.

Maybe I just think very highly of Gerber, though... :dunno:

Peter Griffin 05-06-2004 06:13 PM

Quote:

Kaberle is not worth their 1st round pick alone...

User571 05-06-2004 06:14 PM

I beleive Gerber will be traded this offseason. The Blues could use him. Depending on how much Osgoods contract gets in consilation, but if he gets the Ducks a decent pick:

Gerber for Oz

GSG #18 05-06-2004 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nurminen31
I beleive Gerber will be traded this offseason. The Blues could use him. Depending on how much Osgoods contract gets in consilation, but if he gets the Ducks a decent pick:

Gerber for Oz

Why would the Ducks do this? They have Gigeure, they certainly don't need a guy like Osgood (who made $3 million this season) as backup. Absolutely nuts.

User571 05-06-2004 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSG #18
Why would the Ducks do this? They have Gigeure, they certainly don't need a guy like Osgood (who made $3 million this season) as backup. Absolutely nuts.

Your right Osgood for Gerber would be incredibly stupid, but you misunderstood what I was getting at. I believe Oz is a UFA after this year(correct me if Im wrong)
so before Free Agency starts, Ducks deal gerber for Osgood, who becomes an Un-restricted free agent, thus the Ducks get a decent pick(im not sure what year) for a $3 Million contract. My bad- i was not clear

Jovavic 05-06-2004 07:25 PM

If Barker is gone and the Ducks want Olesz bad enough, 9th overall and Gerber for 4th overall.

User571 05-06-2004 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
If Barker is gone and the Ducks want Olesz bad enough, 9th overall and Gerber for 4th overall.

I dont think Columbus wants another goalie.

Reaper45 05-06-2004 08:08 PM

A 2nd or 3rd. Maybe add another pick depending on his performance? Lots of other goalies are going to be on the market, kinda a bad time for Gerber to step up like that with so many goalies seemingly available. Too bad too, I like the guy, hopefully he goes to a good team.

Kevin Forbes 05-06-2004 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X

I can't see Anaheim wanting Olesz
If they trade up, they do it for Barker
Defence is a priority for Anaheim in this draft, Forwards...not so much (Lupul, Chistov, Getzlaf, Perry are a good core of prospects to work from)

As for Gerber, I would rather see Anaheim hang on to him through the off season and wait and see how Giguere starts off. Giguere (and therefore Anaheim) is traditionally a slow starter, and Bryzgalov (the third goalie in the equation) wouldn't be able to carry the team if Giguere was cold to begin the season. I would rather see Gerber there instead. This would allow teams to have a better look at their own goaltending situation and perhaps raise Gerber's value as well as Gerber's play could raise his value. This would also benefit the Ducks, if he stays until December. If he wasn't needed and Giguere looks solid, then dump him in October or November.

Two things prevent this idea from happening:
1)Gerber is a RFA this off season. He wants to be a starter and his performance this year has proved that he could be, most likely. He deserves a healthy increase on his 500k, whether he gets it or not. It could even be possible that he is qualified and holds out..
2)Anaheim has 4 goalies in the system. 4 goalies. If they are going to have Bryzgalov as Giguere's backup, something will have to be done to find another netminder for Cincy, and hopefully a pretty good one (Ferhi was 2-12-3, not exactly competing numbers, no wonder Bryzgalov saw so many minutes). The only time that Anaheim will really have to find another netminder for Cincy is the off-season...(maybe Kelly Guard..had a great season in the WHL, is a UFA and was at the Ducks camp last year...)

So anyway, Gerber's probably worth a 2nd or so, in my opinion.

leafaholix* 05-06-2004 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Kaberle is not worth their 1st round pick alone...

You wouldn't trade a 1st round pick for a 26 year old, 40 point a season, top 3 defenseman?

Kevin Forbes 05-06-2004 09:54 PM

Quote:

You wouldn't trade a 1st round pick for a 26 year old, 40 point a season, top 3 defenseman?

he's also an RFA who will be looking at 3 million a year....

and the pick is top 10....

:dunno:

HuskyFlames 05-06-2004 09:57 PM

Quote:

Don't forget to mention he is so-so in his own end and doesn't play aggressive. A top 3 defensemen doesn't merit a 1st round pick unless he has the potential to be a #1 or 2 defensemen. I do not see Kaberle as a top defensemen for ANY team. He is a Lydman type player with more offense but less physical aspect. Kaberle is the type of player you include in a package deal as trade bait to get something good back.

Kritty 05-06-2004 09:58 PM

Quote:

If he repeats his performance from this season, absolutely not. He was not good at all this season. A liability in his own end and didn't do a whole lot offensively. If he reverts to old form, then I likely would.

leafaholix* 05-06-2004 10:05 PM

"... a liability in his own end..."

Yet he is a +41 over the last 4 years. I think that he is an average defensive player, but I think you guys are blowing out of preportion. He's not physical but he's smart... and that's why he's missed so few games in his career due to injuries. A guy his size (6'1, 198) cannot play a physical brand of hockey. Especially when they play a European offensive game.

leafaholix* 05-06-2004 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forbesy
he's also an RFA who will be looking at 3 million a year....

and the pick is top 10....

:dunno:

I'd say that's a reasonable amount for a top 3 defenseman.

Especially considering there are guys out there getting paid $4, 5, 6,000,000 to put up similar numbers.

Kevin Forbes 05-06-2004 11:26 PM

Quote:

Especially considering there are guys out there getting paid $4, 5, 6,000,000 to put up similar numbers.

exactly, one of them, Sandis Ozolinsh is on the team that Kaberle is headed to in the proposal.....thus I can't see Anaheim biting at the deal

Cerebral 05-07-2004 01:37 AM

Quote:

Yet he is a +41 over the last 4 years. I think that he is an average defensive player, but I think you guys are blowing out of preportion. He's not physical but he's smart... and that's why he's missed so few games in his career due to injuries. A guy his size (6'1, 198) cannot play a physical brand of hockey. Especially when they play a European offensive game.

I've seen Kaberle quite a bit and I truthfully feel that he's absolutely terrible in his own end. +/- is a very wonky stat and it is easy for a guy like Kaberle to have a very high +/- rating while playing with Sundin, Nolan, McCabe, Roberts, Mogily etc. For an example of Kaberle's defensive prowess, check out some of the goals in game 5 against Philly. Downright ugly does not begin to describe it. I definitely think he'll rebound next season and put up more points but a lot of teams will have a problem paying him $3 million+ to just do that..

Russian_fanatic 05-07-2004 01:45 AM

Quote:

Sopel comes to mind doesnt he ? And he doesnt have a very big contract does he ? IMO best number 2 or 3 dman out there , I see Tomas as a #1 dman .

sparkplug 05-07-2004 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
Sopel comes to mind doesnt he ? And he doesnt have a very big contract does he ? IMO best number 2 or 3 dman out there , I see Tomas as a #1 dman .

Sopel best number 2/ number 3? He's good for his price but are you serious? :amazed:

Cerebral 05-07-2004 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
I see Tomas as a #1 dman .

Do you think Kaberle has the defensive abilities to be a #1 d-man? Would you rank him up there with Blake, Lidstrom, Pronger or Niedermayer?

Russian_fanatic 05-07-2004 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
Do you think Kaberle has the defensive abilities to be a #1 d-man? Would you rank him up there with Blake, Lidstrom, Pronger or Niedermayer?

No , but I would rank him with Gonchar and such .

Peter Griffin 05-07-2004 06:35 AM

Quote:

I'm not a big fan of soft defensemen, so no, I wouldn't trade a top 10 pick for Kaberle. Considering Anaheim doesn't need anymore soft defensemen, I'm fairly confident they would also pass on your "deal".

Jovavic 05-07-2004 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nurminen31
I dont think Columbus wants another goalie.

What? Brathwaite won't be resigned and Leclaire needs at least another year in the AHL before he even thinks about backing up Denis. Gerber would be the perfect guy to play 25-30 games during the season and he'd give the Jackets something they haven't had ever: a solid one-two punch in goal. By the time Leclaire is ready for backup duty, either move Gerber or maybe he'll want to go back to Europe to finish out his carrer.