HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Jarod Aulin question from a Caps fan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=76519)

Jasper17 05-07-2004 12:58 PM

Jarod Aulin question from a Caps fan

Hey guys

I was wondering what you all thought of Jarod Aulin?

I know you didn't get to see any of him last season but I read that he played about 20 games for the Kings in 2002/2003 and had decent numbers for a rookie.

What position did he play for you guys, did he play center or was he moved to the wing? and what can Caps fans expect from this guy next season?

Thanks.

KingPurpleDinosaur 05-07-2004 01:19 PM

think he played center, if i remember correctly. the guy will make it into the NHL, no doubt, and will probably end up being a top sixer. I don't really think his potential is that great, but he is more of a "sure bet" type of player IMO. although i liked him more then cammalleri, it didn't hurt much to part with him becuase I honestly wasn't that impressed by him when he was up.

I think he will fair well with you guys as long as his injuries don't persist. even though his injuries aren't typical "injury prone" injuries, he seems to get a lot of them and in our club, we have enough of that. that's probably the main reason why u guys got him.

as for wat you can expect, i'm betting you won't have to wait more then two years that he fills the 2nd line center role fairly well. i think he's almost ready for the nhl.

Jasper17 05-07-2004 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
think he played center, if i remember correctly. the guy will make it into the NHL, no doubt, and will probably end up being a top sixer. I don't really think his potential is that great, but he is more of a "sure bet" type of player IMO. although i liked him more then cammalleri, it didn't hurt much to part with him becuase I honestly wasn't that impressed by him when he was up.

I think he will fair well with you guys as long as his injuries don't persist. even though his injuries aren't typical "injury prone" injuries, he seems to get a lot of them and in our club, we have enough of that. that's probably the main reason why u guys got him.

as for wat you can expect, i'm betting you won't have to wait more then two years that he fills the 2nd line center role fairly well. i think he's almost ready for the nhl.

OK, if you had to compare him to a current NHL player, who would it be?

Ziggy Stardust 05-07-2004 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japser17
OK, if you had to compare him to a current NHL player, who would it be?

I'm not so sure he will be very productive in the league. At best I think he will be a 2nd line forward, but I think it seems more likely that he will be a 3rd line guy. If I had to compare him to a NHL forward, it would possibly be a former Kings player, Brian Smolinski.

Sometimes he coasts out there, but he has learned to play a more complete game (which is what Aulin did pickup on). But as a result, his numbers declined. Aulin really never really displayed any amazing skills on the ice or do something that made him stand out. His only memorable game as a King was when he scored two goals against Carolina in an absolute thrashing in which the Kings netted 8 goals. And I believe those two goals still stand to be the only ones in his young NHL career thus far.

Jasper17 05-07-2004 03:20 PM

So basically what you guys are saying is this...

He is not going to be a difference maker in the NHL. But he can center a 2nd line. And he has to ability to put up good numbers if he plays with good players.

Am I in the ballpark with that summary?

Ziggy Stardust 05-07-2004 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japser17
So basically what you guys are saying is this...

He is not going to be a difference maker in the NHL. But he can center a 2nd line. And he has to ability to put up good numbers if he plays with good players.

Am I in the ballpark with that summary?

Yeah pretty much, that is a fair assessment of Aulin. I don't see him being a 50-60 point guy... I think his upside is 30-40 points.

Jasper17 05-07-2004 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Yeah pretty much, that is a fair assessment of Aulin. I don't see him being a 50-60 point guy... I think his upside is 30-40 points.

Well hopefully for the Caps sake he can reach his max offensive upside playing with a guy like Semin.

Maybe that will be enough for our 2nd line scoring since Ovechkin will be on our top line (hope he is as good as everyone says).

Thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts and input.

KingPurpleDinosaur 05-07-2004 04:19 PM

i agree w/ teh smolinski analogy. he also is more of a playmaker then a goal scorer. i see him making anywhere from 30-50 pts max.

Fat Elvis 05-07-2004 06:58 PM

I agree with the Smoli comparison, but I do see him getting more than 40pts a year imo. We never got to watch him skate outside the 4th line and he showed glimses of what kind of talent he is. He has good skating skills and a good wrister, and paried with the talent you talked about, he will suprise with what he'll add to your team. I hated to give him up for the Great one and only Carter, hope he is able to shine for you guys. You'll thank us in the long run imo for that trade. :banghead:

Jasper17 05-07-2004 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
I agree with the Smoli comparison, but I do see him getting more than 40pts a year imo. We never got to watch him skate outside the 4th line and he showed glimses of what kind of talent he is. He has good skating skills and a good wrister, and paried with the talent you talked about, he will suprise with what he'll add to your team. I hated to give him up for the Great one and only Carter, hope he is able to shine for you guys. You'll thank us in the long run imo for that trade. :banghead:

I hope your right. i would love for this guy to get around 18 goals a year and about 35-40 assists a year.

If he can give us 53 - 58 points a season I will be a very happy man.

KingPurpleDinosaur 05-07-2004 09:17 PM

i think he'll max out around 50 but will average around 40. he's a good guy to have, just don't see his ceiling as being that high. wish carter worked out better for us. he blows!

kingbrath 05-08-2004 01:19 AM

hey Jasper17 would you do this trade??

to Washington: Anson Carter

to Los Angeles: Jared Aulin

Jasper17 05-08-2004 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brath
hey Jasper17 would you do this trade??

to Washington: Anson Carter

to Los Angeles: Jared Aulin

nope
:handclap:

KingPurpleDinosaur 05-08-2004 12:26 PM

well, on DT's defense, i dont think jared aulin will ever be as good or that much better then Carter. Sure carter sucked for us, but i think he's good enough to get 50-60 points again if he works hard, which is a little bit more then i see aulin coming around to in his typical years. although i liked aulin, he wasn't really one of the prospects i was excited to see nor one i would expect to help make our team a playoff/SCF contender. more like one who would provide good depth and eventually become a sturdy 2nd liner

anshakov, on the other hand, i really liked (from wat i read) and wished he stayed with us. he also did really well in the WJC, so that made it feel even worse. i really think we're going to eat it on this trade w/ straka

Fat Elvis 05-08-2004 12:36 PM

Sturdy 2nd liners help make you a cup contender, just as long as you have a quality 1st line.
I think the trade was bad because Carter didn't improve us enough to become playoff contenders. If he had come in and scored *some* we still had questionable goaltending, no cut and dry 1st line, a banged up D. Too many holes to fill, so why do that trade? For the hope to squeek into the playoffs and generate 2 games of playoff revenue? That was about all our team had in it. Aulin could definitly help us down the road filling that #2 center. Carter, not sure how he helps us, I wish they had scouted him this and last year to see what type of player he has become. It was a knee-jerk reaction imo to fill a top 6 spot with a player no longer a top 6er.

Jasper17 05-08-2004 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Sturdy 2nd liners help make you a cup contender, just as long as you have a quality 1st line.
I think the trade was bad because Carter didn't improve us enough to become playoff contenders. If he had come in and scored *some* we still had questionable goaltending, no cut and dry 1st line, a banged up D. Too many holes to fill, so why do that trade? For the hope to squeek into the playoffs and generate 2 games of playoff revenue? That was about all our team had in it. Aulin could definitly help us down the road filling that #2 center. Carter, not sure how he helps us, I wish they had scouted him this and last year to see what type of player he has become. It was a knee-jerk reaction imo to fill a top 6 spot with a player no longer a top 6er.

I disagree with that a little.

I am not saying it was the best move for the team at the time.
But Anson Carter is a top 6 forward, he was poor for the Rangers but who isn't. When he came to Washington he was fantastic for us.

KingPurpleDinosaur 05-08-2004 01:02 PM

our team's problems this year was that we lacked 1st line talent (injuries), bad defense (injuries), and goaltending. we've never had a problem with sturdy 2nd liners nor depth after that. so, that's what makes aulin so expendable. not to mention, we already have so many up and coming prospects that want ice time that he's just one of the many. again, i really didn't think he was all that from what I seen, just more of a "sure bet" type of prospect.

estimating our lineup for next year and barring catastrophic injuries, i can say that i think our defense is fairly strong and our 2nd line and down for the forwards are good. we don't have a true #1 center anymore w/o allison and our goalie situation is just goign to make me hurl. i think if we fix the goalie situation though, we'll be good enough to make playoffs w/ the 5-8th seed.

and yes i think carter is a worthy top 6er. he's not great, but i think with work, he can get it done. it seems we have a lot of 2nd liners and no real 1st liners except for maybe palffy. but that's fine, teams can go through playfofs with only one major star, but goaltending is one thing that will be our achilles heal for as long as we choose to neglect the problem.