HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Jack Johnson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=765902)

MOJO 04-19-2010 10:37 AM

Jack Johnson

Ok Kings fans.

Give me the 411...

Is JJ the real deal. From what I'm hearing he seems to have turned the corner...

Do you guys anticipate a breakout season next year? If so...what sort of numbers do you see him putting up?

Habstract 04-19-2010 11:06 AM

JJ always had the potential, he just finally showed it this season. I really like seeing him play right now. So happy he doesn't have to play with Mr Jones anymore... phhheeew

As for next season, I see him doing around 45 pts and the most important thing, get a better +/- ratio.

We have a great 1-2 punch with DD and JJ.

KopitarFAN 04-19-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewy (Post 25293131)
JJ always had the potential, he just finally showed it this season. I really like seeing him play right now. So happy he doesn't have to play with Mr Jones anymore... phhheeew

As for next season, I see him doing around 45 pts and the most important thing, get a better +/- ratio.

We have a great 1-2 punch with DD and JJ.

If Jones wasn't on this team, he probably would've been no worse than even.

BigBrown 04-19-2010 11:23 AM

Johnson is playing some great hockey now but he has looked on the verge of breaking out a couple of times before. Consistency is probably the biggest issue so I wouldn't be more than cautiously optimistic.

Habstract 04-19-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KopitarFAN (Post 25293454)

Jones played only 48 games and he's a minus 3...

Can't blame it on Jones, sorry. Doughty was a minus 17 a year ago... a plus 20 this season. I'm positive that Johnson will be able to correct that.

BigBrown 04-19-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

I strongly disagree with that. Last season he was paired with Greene early on but that turned into a disaster. Early this season he was paired with Scuderi and both he and Scuderi ended up around -8 or something pretty fast. Him and Jones/Harrold/O'Donnell have been decent pairings but in the end usually on the minus side of the spectrum.

The only constant in Johnson's horrible +/- stat is Johnson himself. And some terrible, terrible luck.

TonySCV 04-19-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOJO (Post 25292563)
Ok Kings fans.

Give me the 411...

Is JJ the real deal.

We're trying to figure out if the entire team is "the real deal" or not. Ask us again after the first round is over. :)

So far, Jack's looking good.

T2M 04-19-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV (Post 25294063)
We're trying to figure out if the entire team is "the real deal" or not. Ask us again after the first round is over. :)

So far, Jack's looking good.

Best thing about Jack, you can always count on him to show up in big games. The bigger the game the hungrier he gets. You can't put a price tag on that.

no name 04-19-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

I'm the biggest JJ homer on the planet and I know this isn't true. Jack's hockey style is like my basketball style. Whenever I touch the ball I want to do something amazing and I'll force my way in, often to my detriment. Jack always tries to force the long breakout pass when the rest of the team doesn't expect it. This often causes the puck going the other way when it bounces off a Kings stick. Jack is the epitome of an overzealous hockey player and that often creates his own bad luck.

Live in the Now 04-19-2010 01:36 PM

He is still inconsistent but that will get better over time. What I do know is, he sure played great on Saturday.

MollerManor 04-19-2010 01:43 PM

Next season I think this question will truly be answered.

Until then.. is JJ the real deal? Nah, not quite yet.

Is Drew Doughty the real deal? You better Jonesin' believe it.

Mr Irreverent 04-20-2010 02:00 AM

Here's my little theory on Jack: he knows he's better than what he's shown so far but has not been able to get consistent pp time or offensive opportunities for his liking. It's kind of a catch 22, but now that he is on the pp and getting his points his overall game has settled down and he's becoming what we all expected from him. Putting him and DD together is basically death for other teams, and hey guess what? He's only 23 and Doughty is 20, insanity!

wicker 04-20-2010 02:23 AM

Oh, JJ, you mysteriously beautiful creature. He has been amazing, and is it all that surprising that he's a better overall player when he's not getting paired with Randy Jones? No. Hopefully Harrold is okay, even though he didn't look too solid today.

Mindcircus 04-20-2010 06:49 AM

The thing with Jack that has stood out in the playoffs is just how decisive he's been with the puck. He looks like he's playing with a lot of confidence and swagger.

He hasn't consistently shown that ability yet, which is what leaves a lot of fans somewhat disappointed. He'll only get better over time though, and i'll be more than happy to be patient with him.

Awayboardn 04-20-2010 08:32 AM

I still would personally like to see him @ left wing...I know, sounds crazy...but his speed and puck handling would be stellar up front!

Orenji 04-20-2010 08:37 AM

He's amazing on the Power Play.

Ziggy Stardust 04-20-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awayboardn (Post 25319649)
I still would personally like to see him @ left wing...I know, sounds crazy...but his speed and puck handling would be stellar up front!

:shakehead

And who will replace him on defense and help run the PP on the point and get shots through from the blueline? That makes zero sense. With that logic, why not move Doughty to center?

DIEHARD the King fan 04-20-2010 09:26 AM

Last night we saw Olympic Jack, and several seconds of JMFJ Jack. I like what I saw from almost everyone last night and the team was certainly spurred on by their 7th man as well.

If JJ and Doughty keep playing the way they have, and Zues and Modin keep acting like beasts out there, I love our chances.

As for JJ next year, shelve it. WE ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS.

One shift at a time.

One period at a time.

One game at a time.

One series . . . well thats as far as I'm going with that one right now.

Lets worry about next season when there is no more hockey left to play in this one.

Go KINGS GO!

T2M 04-20-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindcircus (Post 25318906)
The thing with Jack that has stood out in the playoffs is just how decisive he's been with the puck. He looks like he's playing with a lot of confidence and swagger.

He hasn't consistently shown that ability yet, which is what leaves a lot of fans somewhat disappointed. He'll only get better over time though, and i'll be more than happy to be patient with him.

I'll take inconsistent regular seasons if he routinely plays like this in the playoffs.

Gentle Ben Kenobi 04-20-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T2M (Post 25320888)
I'll take inconsistent regular seasons if he routinely plays like this in the playoffs.

this x infinity!

Awayboardn 04-20-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 25320158)
:shakehead

And who will replace him on defense and help run the PP on the point and get shots through from the blueline? That makes zero sense. With that logic, why not move Doughty to center?

bring sombody up...it was my personal opinion anyways...I think he has more offensive talent then defensive talent...plus back checking would cover nuetral zone and high slots. He's fast and a perfect two way player...makes sense to me...you could also have him run point on PP no problem.

The Black1963 04-20-2010 01:20 PM

Jack just needed an opportunity to be more of an impact on the team and thank god, TM finally rewarded him with the quarterback duties on the pp. Or should I say quarterjack?

spudboy 04-21-2010 07:38 PM

I had been really patient waiting for Jack to develop. Finally, I lost patience mid-way this year, thinking he wasn't going to develop into a good d-man. As soon as I did that, he turned it around. I think he's been inspired by Doughty, seeing that he can do it at his age. Jack has vastly improved his defense, and the coaches have rewarded him with the green light on offense and big minutes. He is now playing very well!