HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flyers 1st Rounder in 2005 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=76632)

flip588 05-07-2004 10:55 PM

Flyers 1st Rounder in 2005
 
Could someone tell me if the Flyer's first round pick is their own, or is it another team's original pick acquired from a trade?

Thanks in advance.

FearTheFlyers 05-07-2004 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip588
Could someone tell me if the Flyer's first round pick is their own, or is it another team's original pick acquired from a trade?

Thanks in advance.

It's there own and will very possible be used on Bobby Ryan of the OHL depending on his year this year.

Pontifex Maximus* 05-07-2004 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
It's there own and will very possible be used on Bobby Ryan of the OHL depending on his year this year.

Can't see Clarke passing him up if he is still available. May even try to trade up. But this is over a year from now and he may be top 10, 5, who knows.

Flytype 05-07-2004 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus
Can't see Clarke passing him up if he is still available. May even try to trade up. But this is over a year from now and he may be top 10, 5, who knows.


I wasn't aware that the Flyers had a first left. I believe they do not pick until the 3rd rd.

FlyersGuy69 05-08-2004 12:53 AM

if the Flyers even have their #1 pick in 05, they won't be able to draft Ryan unless they can trade up. Ryan will at least be a top 15 pick, but probably closer to 10. the Flyers will most likely be drafting at the backend of the first round as usual.
still way early though.

GKJ 05-08-2004 01:46 AM

the flyers do have their 1st round '05 pick

flip588 05-08-2004 11:23 AM

The reason I asked was in fact to see if there was a possibility that Bobby Ryan would be drafted by Clarkie. I know Clarkie likes him. Hopefully he's still around when our pick comes around.

Pontifex Maximus* 05-08-2004 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip588
The reason I asked was in fact to see if there was a possibility that Bobby Ryan would be drafted by Clarkie. I know Clarkie likes him. Hopefully he's still around when our pick comes around.

He not only likes him (I'm sure everyone does as a player anyway) but apparently Ryan's family is close to Clarke (hence his name) and Clarke is somewhat of a mentor for him.

User571 05-08-2004 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flytype
I wasn't aware that the Flyers had a first left. I believe they do not pick until the 3rd rd.

They draft until 3rd this year. 2005 we have a first.

User571 05-08-2004 12:10 PM

I'd love to see the Flyers trade up to get Brule, but I dont think it'll happen.

FearTheFlyers 05-08-2004 06:34 PM

Ryan could and probably should be a top 10 pick, that's why I said depending on his year.He ended this year very slowly.

montreal 05-08-2004 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
Ryan could and probably should be a top 10 pick, that's why I said depending on his year.He ended this year very slowly.


While the '05 draft is still 13 months away, if it were held today, I would think that Ryan isn't in the top 10. Next years top 10 are sick and Ryan like you said had a tough end to the season. He really had a hard time scoring but a big year next season and he should be a top 10. The top 5 is downright sick!

FlyersHomer DM03 05-08-2004 10:53 PM

could someone give me a brief report on bobby ryan. like what position and how he plays it...its hard for someone to be projected to go anywhere when its 14 months from this paticular draft

FlyersGuy69 05-09-2004 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 03
could someone give me a brief report on bobby ryan. like what position and how he plays it...its hard for someone to be projected to go anywhere when its 14 months from this paticular draft

he's a RW. I've read that his size is 6'1 and around 200lbls.

with decent size for his age(16 or 17 years old presently), he has alot of skill and is a real good skater with speed. he can handle the puck, pass, score and do them all very well. when he's on, he's one of the best players on the ice.

X0X0A0 05-09-2004 09:22 AM

Anybody know how they would determine the draft order if there isin't a 2004-2005 season?

User571 05-09-2004 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick
Anybody know how they would determine the draft order if there isin't a 2004-2005 season?

hmmm...good question

FearTheFlyers 05-09-2004 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
he's a RW. I've read that his size is 6'1 and around 200lbls.

with decent size for his age(16 or 17 years old presently), he has alot of skill and is a real good skater with speed. he can handle the puck, pass, score and do them all very well. when he's on, he's one of the best players on the ice.

????

You're correct about his size, his is big and is a commanding presence in the offensive zone,He has great skill and brilliant one on one ability. He sees the ice fairly well but sometimes tries to make impossible passes which results in him giving away the puck in dangerous areas. However, when you say he is a great skater with speed you couldn't be further from the truth, he is very slow and often seems like he is labouring, He has decent acceleration but has awkward skating style(think Brashear) and does not win many races. His raw skill, im ny opinion is too great for him not to be taken in the top 10 though.

FlyersGuy69 05-09-2004 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
However, when you say he is a great skater with speed you couldn't be further from the truth, he is very slow and often seems like he is labouring, He has decent acceleration but has awkward skating style(think Brashear) and does not win many races. His raw skill, im ny opinion is too great for him not to be taken in the top 10 though.

I am just going on what I've read about him. I haven't heard those things about his skating. the things I've read that he must work on most are, 1) consistency - there are to many games that he is great and then others that he looks bored. 2) defensive game - as you say, he is a little reckless at both ends of the ice.

granted, I haven't read tons of info on him but I am just going on what I read. if you have any info, please share.

BTW, I know that I read one scouting report on him compared him to a young Jason Allison.

FlyersGuy69 05-09-2004 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick
Anybody know how they would determine the draft order if there isin't a 2004-2005 season?

I think they would go by the previous seasons standings? in other words, if they do not play next year, they would just go by this years standings for the draft order. I think.

FearTheFlyers 05-09-2004 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
BTW, I know that I read one scouting report on him compared him to a young Jason Allison.

Good comparism for sure except for the fact that Bobby really needs to work on his skating, don't take this the wrong way, I'm really high on him.

montreal 05-10-2004 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
he's a RW. I've read that his size is 6'1 and around 200lbls.

with decent size for his age(16 or 17 years old presently), he has alot of skill and is a real good skater with speed. he can handle the puck, pass, score and do them all very well. when he's on, he's one of the best players on the ice.


He just turned 17, but he's no where near 200 lbs. I've only seen him 3 times this year (got them on tape) but he's a skinny kid but he is tall. He's listed at 6'1 180 which seems about right. Lots of skill but disappeared for long streches this year. Unless he has a big year next season, I doubt he'll go top 10, but that's more due to the top 10 being so good next year. I'd say closer to 15th-20th unless he really improves off this season.

Now his teamate Ruzicka, there's a great pick for you guys. I've been impressed with every game I've seen him in (5-6 games at least) You've got some great OHL prospects.

FearTheFlyers 05-11-2004 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
He just turned 17, but he's no where near 200 lbs. I've only seen him 3 times this year (got them on tape) but he's a skinny kid but he is tall. He's listed at 6'1 180 which seems about right.

This statement makes me doubt you've seen him at all, he is big and stocky and is at least 200lbs and is listed in the Owen Sound attack program at 6'2 220 which sounds about right.

RoDu 05-11-2004 10:06 PM

what would our priorities be in that draft? Wingers and defensive minded blue liners?

FlyersGuy69 05-11-2004 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
This statement makes me doubt you've seen him at all, he is big and stocky and is at least 200lbs and is listed in the Owen Sound attack program at 6'2 220 which sounds about right.

I have read that he was bigger(200+lbs) too but, I have never seen him in person or in a game so I don't know for sure.

flamesfan01800 05-11-2004 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
I think they would go by the previous seasons standings? in other words, if they do not play next year, they would just go by this years standings for the draft order. I think.

Wow if they did that

Semin-Ovechkin-Crosby :bow: :bow: :bow:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.