HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   6-New York Ranger Goalies (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=76648)

charliemurphy 05-07-2004 11:44 PM

6-New York Ranger Goalies

1.Blackburn
2.Dunham
3.Labarbera
4.Lundqvist
5.McLennan
6.Valiquette
Rangers seem to have some depth in goal. With Lundqvist and Blackburn as the future, does anyone think that Sather could move two of the goalies?
Who should stay? Who should go? Why?
Trade? Trade for what? No ridiculous trades, please.
Try and stick to the topic of the thread. No bashing, please. Ranger fans should be a little pumped up about this situation.
Shall we...
I am very excited about Lundqvist, although I don't think he will jump right into the NHL. Blackburn, I assume will need atleast a year to get back into form. If Blackburn were to start any-time next season, I would have some questions regarding the whereabouts of the other 5 goalies. Rangers do not want to rush Blackburn at all. He is still young.
4 remaining... If Dunham can be moved to help the rebuild (perhaps in a package during the draft/trade/to move up) I'm all for it. I like Valiquette. His size and from what I've seen, could be valuable as a solid backup goaltender, if not starting games in Hartford and New York. McLennan/Valiquette splitting starts for the Rangers would not be a terrible idea to bridge the future. Lundqvist, IMO... will adapt more rapidly and be more further along than Blackburn. I can't wait to see these two on the bench together. This rebuild will not happen overnite. Meanwhile, McLennan/Valiquette splitting time for 1-2 years, with Lundqvist poking his head in once in a while. I would think that Labarbera is is at his highest value right now, considering how he has played for the Wolfpack. I don't see him as a #1 goalie. Perhaps a solid backup. I'm sure I'll take some hits for that.
If moving Dunham and Labarbera meant that it would help and/or speed-up the rebuild, be it through the draft, or trade(s), to move up, whatever. You have too go for it. I am most concerned with the top two lines of the future Rangers. I am very excited about the goalie and defensive outlook for the team.
I am wondering if Sather is on any type of hotseat. His ass should be in check every single day for the remainder of his tenure. Ranger scouting seems to draft well, but Sather needs to pull off some serious moves on or around draft day and if and when the new CBA comes through.
Anyway...
Dunham/Labarbera :thumbd:
McLennan/Valiquette :thumbu:
Lundqvist/Blackburn :clap:
Please, no bashing. :shakehead

rickyrod 05-08-2004 12:02 AM

i really wouldn't mind putting labarbera in the net for us on a regular basis next season. trading off valiquette and mclennan. first of all, putting labarbera on some sort of regular turn with dunham we will get to see what he is really made of. he's a god in the ahl, and if he can make the jump, it's a bonus for us. if he can't make the jump, we are that much closer to crosby(or another high pick)...im still not sure what to do with the blackburn/lundqvist. i dont want to see either of them on the checkers, but i'd like to see them both get good full seasons in, not taking turns each night...

NYR2 05-08-2004 01:02 AM

Ricky, where the heck did you get that avatar? :huh:

Sather Hater 05-08-2004 08:49 AM

Isn't McClennan a free agent?

SingnBluesOnBroadway 05-08-2004 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sather Hater
Isn't McClennan a free agent?

Yes. And Dunham is signed for another season at 3.6M

Kubera55 05-08-2004 10:23 AM

My imiediate reaction is to keep Dunham, re-sign McLennan, and let the kids (Labarberra, Lundqvist, Blackburn) battle it out in camp and see if one of them can unseat McLennan.

Dunham had the worst season of his career last year. His value is in the toilet, and Sather won't get a serious offer for him. Worse, Sather will have to spend major money or trade significant assets to find anyone better than he is this summer. So I'd keep him, and depending on how the youngsters are progressing in Hartford, probably try to move him at the deadline. If not, I'd likely let him walk next year, after his contract is up. But no buy-outs, and I won't give him away when I've got no one better on hand.

Blackburn and Lundqvist are going to take time, years probably. Labarberra is either ready to make the leap to the NHL this summer, or I think he should be moved. He's dominating the AHL so completely that there isn't any point to keeping him in Hartford. So if he can't beat out McLennan for the back-up job, I'd look to move him and prevent a goalie controversy in Hartford.

Next year, i.e., after a season of the 'Rebuilding Rangers', we'll have a better idea of how good the Rangers prospect goalies really are. That's when I'd make a decision on whether or not to trust Lundqvist and Blackburn to develop fast, or if I need to make a consolodation move and bring in an established goalie for a few years. Right now, with Blackburn's injury and Lundqvist never having played in North America . . . just too risky.

rnyquist 05-08-2004 11:19 AM

There's no way we can keep 6 goalies.

Dunham- he's got to stay, no choice, he's under contract and acctually not worth buying out.

McLennan- FA, I believe, if so, let him walk. If not, release or trade.

Valley- see above to McLennan

Labarbera-Here's where it gets tricky, while yes the man played outstanding, the chances of him being NHL caliber are next to nothing. And don't give me the crap about he's young and look at his stats because theres been tons of kids who play amazing in juniors or the AHL but can never translate it to the NHL, if anything loan him to another AHL team, we can't have 3 goalies in Hartford and its a slap in the face to send him to Charlotte.

Blackburn-He's going to start in Hartford, he needs the starters job, not to ride the pine. He's a lock for Hartford, but may be called up depending on his play.

Lundqvist- a true dark horse. Could be the starter for the rangers, a back up or rotate with Blackburn as the starter for Hartford.

As it stands we can't afford 6 goalies, 3 tops, leave Phil Oseur(sp) as the pine rider in Hartford. If we have Blackburn and Lundqvist rotating as starter in Hartford and backup in NY, then we could easily get each guy between 50-60 games. But of course if one shows up more than the other than we'll address it later. But as it stands, McLennan, Valley and Labs HAVE TO GO in order to get the most out of Dan and Henrik. Fair to Labs?? heck no, but the franchise is more important than hurting a guys feelings. Henrik and Dan are the franchise goalies, so lets worry about them

rnyquist 05-08-2004 12:04 PM

Acctually Crosby, the scouting team has done resonably well in the 4 years Sather was here. Before Sather we had Lundmark, Brendl and Novak, and now we have a problem listing 10 because there's so many to chose from.

Broadway Brett 05-08-2004 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnyquist
Acctually Crosby, the scouting team has done resonably well in the 4 years Sather was here. Before Sather we had Lundmark, Brendl and Novak, and now we have a problem listing 10 because there's so many to chose from.

Farladeau ring a bell?

rnyquist 05-08-2004 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Farladeau ring a bell?

tjutin, blackburn, prucha, jessimen, baranka, Lundqvist ring a bell. Everyone has a bad pick once in a while

Broadway Brett 05-08-2004 01:38 PM

Who traded Zidlicky again? How about Novak? Yeah that's what I thought. Jessiman may be a bust, as well as Baranka, you can't judge the past 2-3 drafts yet. Yeah I'll admit, the Rangers have done better drafting the past few years, but not NEAR Columbus, Detroit, New Jeresey, etc. A team with the high picks the Rangers get every year, they should have one of the best farms in the league. They don't have that. I'll admitt, there drafting has been better, but not where it should be.

Evil Sather 05-08-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Who traded Zidlicky again? How about Novak? Yeah that's what I thought. Jessiman may be a bust, as well as Baranka, you can't judge the past 2-3 drafts yet. Yeah I'll admit, the Rangers have done better drafting the past few years, but not NEAR Columbus, Detroit, New Jeresey, etc. A team with the high picks the Rangers get every year, they should have one of the best farms in the league. They don't have that. I'll admitt, there drafting has been better, but not where it should be.

That the Ragners traded Zidlicky or Novak or anyone else has nothing to do with the scouting department in regards to them getting drafted. Also, New Jersey's system is in the toilet. They have Parise, Ahonen, and a whole lotta nothing. The drafting has gotten better, it can't be denied. Or do would you rather go back to the glory years of 95-98?

rickyrod 05-08-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR2
Ricky, where the heck did you get that avatar? :huh:

i made it from the icejerseys.com customization simulator.

Kubera55 05-08-2004 03:45 PM

Good drafting, and good trading are not the same thing. Sather did indeed trade away some good young players. But that has to do with his comparitive evaluations of their worth compared to established NHL talent. While I agree that many of Sather's trades haven't worked out, I would support the statement that the Rangers DRAFTING has been as good as anyone's since Sather took over.

2000 - No 1st rounder, then Novak, Moore, and Lundqvist. Three legit NHL prospects without a pick in the top 50. (and Sather got rid of Novak while his value was still sky high and netted Bure. While Bure didn't work out, neither did Novak, who still hasn't cracked the Panthers 'elite' defense.)

2001 - As far as early returns go, this draft class is about as good as it gets. Blackburn, Tjutin, and Zidlicky are all NHL players with the upside to be stars (and the downside of being everyday NHL'ers). Murray and Lampman are already hanging out at the AHL/NHL border and should, at least, provide depth for the big club. Throw in the still developing Stals, and even the unfortunate injury prone Hollweg (once considered a major steal) and Sather an Co. absolutely hammered this draft class.

2002 - No first round pick again, and Falardeau looks like nothing. It was a weak draft year, but NY still managed to pick up Jonasen, Guenin, Taylor, and Prucha, all of whom at least have a shot at the NHL. Prucha in particular seems like he's going to get a shot next year, and I hear nothing but good things about the Giant Swede, Jonasen.

2003 - Too early to really tell.

charliemurphy 05-08-2004 03:59 PM

What could the Rangers expect to get in return if they were to deal Labarbera?

Broadway Brett 05-08-2004 04:29 PM

Charlie Murphy:
That you said that the Rangers have done well scouting, that's funny. Farledeau, horrendous pick. The Rangers could have got Dustin Brown, instead of Jessiman, everyone says "What has Parise or Hugh done in the NHL?" Well Brown, who was picked one pick after Jessiman, has proved something, already. He will be a first-liner, and maybe an all-star, IMO. We could've had him. Baranka over O'Sullivan? Common. So don't say that my posts are annoying, and pointless, I just get out my opinions by the smiley faces, yes a little harsh, but I think I get my point across, Charlie. I think that the Rangers have done bad drafting, so I laughed at it, BIG WHOOP! Your posts are a helluva alot more pointless than mine. :shakehead

NYR469 05-08-2004 04:36 PM

Quote:

Farladeau ring a bell?

1 awful pick in 4 years...you can't present the worst pick and act like it is the norm

Broadway Brett 05-08-2004 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
1 awful pick in 4 years...you can't present the worst pick and act like it is the norm

You can't tell about the rest of the picks, because they need to develop.

Sotnos 05-08-2004 08:19 PM

Guys, some off-topic personal attacks got reported and removed from this thread. Please stick to the subject, thanks. :) Any questions PM me.

Barnaby 05-08-2004 09:39 PM

Quote:

You can't tell about the rest of the picks, because they need to develop.

Exactly. You can't say one bad pick in four years..... BUT... you can't say terrible drafting either. It swings both ways. You cant criticize the drafting, and then say you cant judge the good ones yet because it's too early.

NYR Khabby Fan 05-09-2004 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliemurphy
1.Blackburn
2.Dunham
3.Labarbera
4.Lundqvist
5.McLennan
6.Valiquette
Rangers seem to have some depth in goal. With Lundqvist and Blackburn as the future, does anyone think that Sather could move two of the goalies?
Who should stay? Who should go? Why?
Trade? Trade for what? No ridiculous trades, please.
Try and stick to the topic of the thread. No bashing, please. Ranger fans should be a little pumped up about this situation.
Shall we...
I am very excited about Lundqvist, although I don't think he will jump right into the NHL. Blackburn, I assume will need atleast a year to get back into form. If Blackburn were to start any-time next season, I would have some questions regarding the whereabouts of the other 5 goalies. Rangers do not want to rush Blackburn at all. He is still young.
4 remaining... If Dunham can be moved to help the rebuild (perhaps in a package during the draft/trade/to move up) I'm all for it. I like Valiquette. His size and from what I've seen, could be valuable as a solid backup goaltender, if not starting games in Hartford and New York. McLennan/Valiquette splitting starts for the Rangers would not be a terrible idea to bridge the future. Lundqvist, IMO... will adapt more rapidly and be more further along than Blackburn. I can't wait to see these two on the bench together. This rebuild will not happen overnite. Meanwhile, McLennan/Valiquette splitting time for 1-2 years, with Lundqvist poking his head in once in a while. I would think that Labarbera is is at his highest value right now, considering how he has played for the Wolfpack. I don't see him as a #1 goalie. Perhaps a solid backup. I'm sure I'll take some hits for that.
If moving Dunham and Labarbera meant that it would help and/or speed-up the rebuild, be it through the draft, or trade(s), to move up, whatever. You have too go for it. I am most concerned with the top two lines of the future Rangers. I am very excited about the goalie and defensive outlook for the team.
I am wondering if Sather is on any type of hotseat. His ass should be in check every single day for the remainder of his tenure. Ranger scouting seems to draft well, but Sather needs to pull off some serious moves on or around draft day and if and when the new CBA comes through.
Anyway...
Dunham/Labarbera :thumbd:
McLennan/Valiquette :thumbu:
Lundqvist/Blackburn :clap:
Please, no bashing. :shakehead

dont mind the tandaem of valiquette and mclennon , if thats the only choice. rather see lundqvist here , def not blackburn he needs time in hrtfrd to get back into game shapoe, as i said to u b4 i think valiquette is good enough to be a # 1 , hes 26 good size and when here in the nhl the couple times posted good #'s he is good enough to be given a shot at the # 1 job he is young enough and i believe talented enough. murphy look at his nhl stats they are good in the 10 games , so why are u so high on considering him a back up goalie, just curious

NYR Khabby Fan 05-09-2004 08:54 AM

Quote:

Charlie Murphy:
That you said that the Rangers have done well scouting, that's funny. Farledeau, horrendous pick. The Rangers could have got Dustin Brown, instead of Jessiman, everyone says "What has Parise or Hugh done in the NHL?" Well Brown, who was picked one pick after Jessiman, has proved something, already. He will be a first-liner, and maybe an all-star, IMO. We could've had him. Baranka over O'Sullivan? Common. So don't say that my posts are annoying, and pointless, I just get out my opinions by the smiley faces, yes a little harsh, but I think I get my point across, Charlie. I think that the Rangers have done bad drafting, so I laughed at it, BIG WHOOP! Your posts are a helluva alot more pointless than mine. :shakehead

listen guys you 2 people are some of the more cool guys in here keep the peace. no ones opinions are pointless, we say what we feel just because we dont agree doesnt mean they should be knocked..... crosby keep your opinion... and murph just listen dont get mad.....

like ui said crosby "great minds think alike"

buy the way move labarbra foir what ever just get something decent, move dunham , dont sign mclennon.
seasoin strats with valiquette and lundqvist in goal then in the 2005-2006 season blacky gets a shot to challenge for the #1 also, if nyr feels lundqvist aint ready then maybe keep mclennon for only 1 year . he showed me not one impressive thing about watching him. well then again getting trdaed to non playoff team from being on one that might be playing for the cup... that really sucks

NYR Khabby Fan 05-09-2004 09:02 AM

Quote:

Charlie Murphy:

jessimen = flop

if we could have taken dustin brown we would have been better off, everyone is just high on jessimen beacause he was taken in the 1st round . just like they were high on lundmark and brendl . both looking to be flops.. so all u so high on jessimen need to look and wake up, jess is a flop , nyr fans are just excited about himj cause of his size.he wont get theporpert ime as loing as sather is here as gm we need a real gm and coach thats believes in youth. as u noticed last season renneey aka sather only kept playing the vets. its like he was dying to win all the young kids should have got the most ice tiome and valiquette should have finished the season off... sorry about getting off the topic :thumbu: :rangers fan

lets go tampa .. win the cup :bolts

Bird Law 05-09-2004 09:27 AM

Quote:

If Jessiman and Baranka can be busts, than Lee can still turn out to be one of the best two way centers in the history of the NHL.

It's a two-way street. Don't fault his draft until we see the products.

Bird Law 05-09-2004 09:28 AM

NYR Khabby Fan = jay?

o_OO_OO_o