HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why always Higgins over Plekanec ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=76747)

TomasPlekanec 05-08-2004 05:58 PM

Why always Higgins over Plekanec ?
 
Hey guys, I wanted to clarify something with you all. Why does everybody on this board are ranking, when talking about next year line-up or best prospect, Chris Higgins over Tomas Plekanec. I know you might think i'm biased here, as Pleks is my favourite prospect, but remember, the Habs management tends to let prospects develop in the AHL for more then one year. Anyone remember who was the last prospect who played one season or less in the NHL before getting 30-40 + games in the NHL ? They also always give their young guns opportunity to show what they can do at the NHL level, that's why we've seen Higgins, Hainsey, Plekanec and Balej this year.

Plekanec is completing his 2nd year in the AHL. He racked up the points even without Balej, and has been our best all around forward this season. In the playoff, he has clearly been the best player out there, both offensively and defensively. He also impress management in his stink with the Habs in the middle of the year.

Chris Higgins, while being on his first pro contract, has played with the Habs before even going to Hamilton. After 2 or 3 games, he was sent down to the farm to complete his first full season as a pro. He was pretty good defensively, and decent in the offensive zone. I do think, if given a chance on the 1st line, he'll burn the league next year, just like Plek, with his def and off play. Just give him a little more time.

I'm sure there's a lot of things Higgs still needs to learn, while Plekanec, IMO, as learned pretty much everything he should. The training camp next year will show what the 2 are made of, and I fully expect Higgs to be sent down, and get something like 10-20 games to prepare him for the full youth movement the year after- wich is the year where Rivet's and Brisebois' contract exprire, and the Kovalev's one aswell- where we should see every Habs players to be under 32 years old, and a lot of young prospects. Pleks should be in the line-up next year, we'll have some place on the 23-man rosters. He will have to sit in the beggining of the year to learn what the NHL is all about, but watch him pull a Ryder in the 2nd half.

Anyway just my thoughts, tell me what you all think.

Belarus Rocket 05-08-2004 06:03 PM

I don't really care who get a job next year,I say we wait and see who's better In the training camp and then we will take a decision.The only thing Im sure about Is those 2 prospect,Higgins and Plekanec,are verry talented player and will play In the NHl In a couple of years

Traitor8 05-08-2004 06:03 PM

I'm not gonna hide it. Tomas Plekanec is impressing me but remember what Julien said "We sent Plekanec down because we have SIMILAR PLAYERS in Ribeiro,Koivu"

Other then that, Higgins is just a better talent and as a good overall game.


Name: Tomas Plekanec
Position: Center
Shoots: Left
Height: 5'10
Weight: 202
Birthdate: 10-31-82
Hometown: Kladno, Czech Republic
Acquired: 2001 NHL Draft, 3rd round (71st)



Strengths
Excellent offensive instincts and stickhandling. Very good skater with decent speed. Is creatitive with the puck, and can play somewhat physical. Has a solid understanding of the game, sees the ice well, and is an effective playmaker.

Weaknesses
Lack of size and strength are a concern. Needs work on his defensive coverage. Shot needs more power, and he needs to play a more physical game.


Name: Chris Higgins
Position: Center
Shoots: Left
Height: 5'11
Weight: 195
Birthdate: 6-2-83
Hometown: Smithtown, NY
Acquired: 2002 NHL Draft, 1st round (14th)

Strengths
Solid all round player. Great work ethic mixed with solid skating and speed. A very smart player, that is sound positionally. Has good offensive instincts, and is an impressive stickhandler. Can play in any situation, and has good vision, and great hockey sense. A gifted offensive forward.

Weaknesses
Size and strength are somewhat of a concern

CREDIT: TO www.habsworld.net

Rahan 05-08-2004 06:10 PM

I'd be curious to see if Plekanec can steal Ribeiro's spot in the lineup, he's been outstanding the past two years. He's stronger physically than Ribeiro so can do better along the boards, and that's one of the weaknesses that stopped our second line in the playoffs.

NewHabsEra* 05-08-2004 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomasPlekanec
Hey guys, I wanted to clarify something with you all. Why does everybody on this board are ranking, when talking about next year line-up or best prospect, Chris Higgins over Tomas Plekanec. I know you might think i'm biased here, as Pleks is my favourite prospect, but remember, the Habs management tends to let prospects develop in the AHL for more then one year. Anyone remember who was the last prospect who played one season or less in the NHL before getting 30-40 + games in the NHL ? They also always give their young guns opportunity to show what they can do at the NHL level, that's why we've seen Higgins, Hainsey, Plekanec and Balej this year.

Plekanec is completing his 2nd year in the AHL. He racked up the points even without Balej, and has been our best all around forward this season. In the playoff, he has clearly been the best player out there, both offensively and defensively. He also impress management in his stink with the Habs in the middle of the year.

Chris Higgins, while being on his first pro contract, has played with the Habs before even going to Hamilton. After 2 or 3 games, he was sent down to the farm to complete his first full season as a pro. He was pretty good defensively, and decent in the offensive zone. I do think, if given a chance on the 1st line, he'll burn the league next year, just like Plek, with his def and off play. Just give him a little more time.

I'm sure there's a lot of things Higgs still needs to learn, while Plekanec, IMO, as learned pretty much everything he should. The training camp next year will show what the 2 are made of, and I fully expect Higgs to be sent down, and get something like 10-20 games to prepare him for the full youth movement the year after- wich is the year where Rivet's and Brisebois' contract exprire, and the Kovalev's one aswell- where we should see every Habs players to be under 32 years old, and a lot of young prospects. Pleks should be in the line-up next year, we'll have some place on the 23-man rosters. He will have to sit in the beggining of the year to learn what the NHL is all about, but watch him pull a Ryder in the 2nd half.

Anyway just my thoughts, tell me what you all think.

Plekanec is definitively the more NHL ready of the two and will make the team without any doubt next year...

Both are great prospects, both are very skilled, both are smart and have a great work ethic but Plekanec is just more NHL ready at the moment..

tinyzombies 05-08-2004 06:20 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Higgins play at least another half year in the AHL, unless he blows our socks off in camp. I think they want to give him every chance to be a scoring line winger. He could probably step in right now on a checking line, but why not give him a ton of playing time down on the farm and let him try to gain some offensive confidence by tearing it up? We don't have to worry about his work ethic unlike some other wingers I could mention.

Pleks could play on the third line, unless he somehow steals Ribeiro's job (unlikely). To add him on the wing as another small forward doesn't work. I'm not sure his defense is good enough to be the checking line winger or not. People on here seem to think his D improved dramatically, so maybe.

montreal 05-08-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomasPlekanec
Hey guys, I wanted to clarify something with you all. Why does everybody on this board are ranking, when talking about next year line-up or best prospect, Chris Higgins over Tomas Plekanec. I know you might think i'm biased here, as Pleks is my favourite prospect, but remember, the Habs management tends to let prospects develop in the AHL for more then one year. Anyone remember who was the last prospect who played one season or less in the NHL before getting 30-40 + games in the NHL ? They also always give their young guns opportunity to show what they can do at the NHL level, that's why we've seen Higgins, Hainsey, Plekanec and Balej this year.

Plekanec is completing his 2nd year in the AHL. He racked up the points even without Balej, and has been our best all around forward this season. In the playoff, he has clearly been the best player out there, both offensively and defensively. He also impress management in his stink with the Habs in the middle of the year.

Chris Higgins, while being on his first pro contract, has played with the Habs before even going to Hamilton. After 2 or 3 games, he was sent down to the farm to complete his first full season as a pro. He was pretty good defensively, and decent in the offensive zone. I do think, if given a chance on the 1st line, he'll burn the league next year, just like Plek, with his def and off play. Just give him a little more time.

I'm sure there's a lot of things Higgs still needs to learn, while Plekanec, IMO, as learned pretty much everything he should. The training camp next year will show what the 2 are made of, and I fully expect Higgs to be sent down, and get something like 10-20 games to prepare him for the full youth movement the year after- wich is the year where Rivet's and Brisebois' contract exprire, and the Kovalev's one aswell- where we should see every Habs players to be under 32 years old, and a lot of young prospects. Pleks should be in the line-up next year, we'll have some place on the 23-man rosters. He will have to sit in the beggining of the year to learn what the NHL is all about, but watch him pull a Ryder in the 2nd half.

Anyway just my thoughts, tell me what you all think.


Why Higgins over Pleks? Look no further then the Habs management. Higgins made the team out of camp in his first season. While it may have been just a token tryout for his hard work or to get a small look at what he can do, it certainly says that management wants to see what the kid can do.

As for one over the other, it's close imo, but I'd take Higgins. To me he's the notch ahead just based on the little things he does so well that go unnoticed. He's a very smart player and while he's not that tall, he's got a solid body frame. Plekanec is the better center, but Higgins has a better shot. I'm glad to have both of them, and consider them our future players. I do think Higgins and Plekanec see a some time with the Habs next year if theres a season and I don't mean 2 games.

Marksman 05-09-2004 07:19 AM

I have this feeling Plekanec wasnt sent down because he is similar only with to Koivu and Ribeiro, we had other smallish centermen aswell. With Juneau and propably Perreault gone next season, there will be room for him as 5th centerman, even if they kept Dowd.

Maybe not on top lines, but on 3rd line, with his countryman Bulis? Plekanec should be capable of playing in checking line role, with good speed and willingness to use his small but strong frame. I'm hoping he could turn into Sergei Brylin type player for Habs.

deandebean 05-09-2004 09:20 AM

For the answer, look no further than Montreal' post. Management.

toughstuff 05-09-2004 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
I'm not gonna hide it. Tomas Plekanec is impressing me but remember what Julien said "We sent Plekanec down because we have SIMILAR PLAYERS in Ribeiro,Koivu"

This statement is of upmost important. Not denying the talent of Plekanec, he will have lots of problems getting into the HABS line-up for the above reason alone.

Plekanec will have to beat out Ribs for the second center job. The loser will get traded. This might not happen this year but it will in the next year or two.

Pleks work ethic and dedication is unquestionnable. As much as it breaks my heart, I would make a place for pleks and eventually trade Ribs if the price is OK.

NewHabsEra* 05-09-2004 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toughstuff
This statement is of upmost important. Not denying the talent of Plekanec, he will have lots of problems getting into the HABS line-up for the above reason alone.

Plekanec will have to beat out Ribs for the second center job. The loser will get traded. This might not happen this year but it will in the next year or two.

Pleks work ethic and dedication is unquestionnable. As much as it breaks my heart, I would make a place for pleks and eventually trade Ribs if the price is OK.

You can'T trade a prospect like Plekanec before you showcase and play him several games in the NHL... He actually has little trade value and I just can'T see why Gainey would trade him.. I think the fact that Higgins is actually playing LW with Hamilton say long about Pleks' chances to make it as third line center next year!

Darz 05-09-2004 01:09 PM

I think both will be given a good chance to make the big club next year to fill voids left by the departing veterans. Of course this all depends when and if we have hockey at the NHL level next year. More than likely both will still be in Hamilton next year as I see the NHL not playing in '04-'05 and if they do it will be a short compact season and the habs won't want to expose their prospects to a schedule that has a team playing 4 times a week. Of course on the other hand, if that is the kind of schedule that is being played, alot of injuries will probabely occur and both might see more action than intended.

JohnnyB11 05-09-2004 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toughstuff
This statement is of upmost important. Not denying the talent of Plekanec, he will have lots of problems getting into the HABS line-up for the above reason alone.

Plekanec will have to beat out Ribs for the second center job. The loser will get traded. This might not happen this year but it will in the next year or two.

Pleks work ethic and dedication is unquestionnable. As much as it breaks my heart, I would make a place for pleks and eventually trade Ribs if the price is OK.

I completely agree with you regarding the second center job. I feel that Ribs may have some good trade value based on his regular season performance (I know the playoffs didn't help in terms of increasing value, but you have to admit Ribs will turn a few heads if Gainey is willing to entertain offers), and maybe we'll see a draft day deal. However, on the other hand, is Plekanec ready for second line duty? And if he is, we better get someone with some more experience on his wing (eg Zed or a winger via trade). It will be interesting to see what shakes down, if there will be any hockey at all next year :dunno:

EaGLE1 05-09-2004 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyB11
I completely agree with you regarding the second center job. I feel that Ribs may have some good trade value based on his regular season performance (I know the playoffs didn't help in terms of increasing value, but you have to admit Ribs will turn a few heads if Gainey is willing to entertain offers), and maybe we'll see a draft day deal. However, on the other hand, is Plekanec ready for second line duty? And if he is, we better get someone with some more experience on his wing (eg Zed or a winger via trade). It will be interesting to see what shakes down, if there will be any hockey at all next year :dunno:


What would be a descent return in exchange of Ribeiro?
To me it would be:
1.a top15 first rounder. OR
2.a top4 defenceman OR
3.a player like Drury.

If it's less than that, why trade???

toughstuff 05-09-2004 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EaGLE1
What would be a descent return in exchange of Ribeiro?
To me it would be:
1.a top15 first rounder. OR
2.a top4 defenceman OR
3.a player like Drury.

If it's less than that, why trade???

I agree that we should trade for nothing less. If we can't have anything decent then we simply line up a small but very potent package of players.

Mathieu Lavergne 05-09-2004 05:44 PM

They are very close prospect and have solid potential but I would take Higgins over Plekanec for his more complete all-around game and scoring touch. Higgins projects as a two-way force who can score goals, I think I would start him over Plekanec as a top-6 forward because I feel he could bring something similar to what Bulis can bring on a scoring line plus a pair of hands. If he makes the team on a full-time basis next year, Higgs could bounce around on the lineup and may even see some powerplay time.

I have nothing against Plekanec though but I think he will need time to develop at the NHL level before becoming scoring line material. He projects more as a playmaker and we already have Ribeiro and Koivu who already proved their abilities. I have no problem with Pleks on the third line as I feel he is a fairly polished player in all three zone. Both players did not look out of place in their NHL games but there was simply no spots for them. Ultimately, I have no doubt both could play roles on a NHL roster next year at some point but this team need more size and weight on front and I'm sure Gainey will look forward to improve in that area which could hurt the chances of having both players on a healthy Habs roster.

I have mixed review about if one of them could make the team on a full-time basis, training camp will surely be interesting once again this year.

Beatnik 05-09-2004 09:17 PM

Higgins seems more promising as a effective 3rd liner with 2nd line upside.
I'm not sure if Ribeiro can handle the 2nd line job as well as we'd want to but if it's not him i can't see 5¨10 Plekanec taking his place if he is'nt able to really dominate in the AHL.

Uber Coca 05-09-2004 09:24 PM

Plekanec just doesn't fit in our line-up. Our centers would be Koivu, Ribeiro, Plekanec, Begin? Way too small.
I like what I'm seeing from this prospect, but I don't know how he could fit in Montreal. If he's an untouchable prospect, than we should get rid of Ribeiro or Koivu. Mostly Ribeiro, because Koivu is my favorite player...
Other than that, Higgins is also "small" but tends to play big. He's a player that every teams dream to have, a overally good player.

---------

What is happening to Ferland, Hossa? Two big prospect, they could help us, a lot...

komisakick ass 05-09-2004 09:37 PM

Why the two can't be in the lineup
Next year team will be a really young up front

Kovalev Koivu Zednick
Ryder Ribeiro Perezhogin
Bulis Higgins Ward
Bégin Pleckanek Langdon

That what I think :yo:

Traitor8 05-09-2004 09:41 PM

I doubt Perezhogin will be with the team from day 1.. maybe later on in the season.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Plekanec-Ward
Langdon-Begin-Dowd

Komisarek-Souray
Brisebois-Hainsey
Rivet-Markov
Bouillon

Theodore
Garon

Hamilton 2004-2005 (Hopefully if some of our prospects sign):

??????-Higgins-Kostsitsyn
Gratton-Locke-Milroy

Beakermania* 05-09-2004 09:46 PM

Living in Hamilton and seeing lots of games the past two years i will say this.

Plekanec more NHL ready. Higgs will be better player in the NHL but needs 1/2 to a full season more in the AHL.

I'd love to see what Locke can do with the dogs next year, his numbers in the OHL are phenomenal, but with his size and speed can he take it up to the next level. Looking at him i see the next Marc Savard as he did the same thing for Oshawa of the OHL and people had the same criticisms at the time.

Raider917 05-09-2004 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania
Living in Hamilton and seeing lots of games the past two years i will say this.

Plekanec more NHL ready. Higgs will be better player in the NHL but needs 1/2 to a full season more in the AHL.

I'd love to see what Locke can do with the dogs next year, his numbers in the OHL are phenomenal, but with his size and speed can he take it up to the next level. Looking at him i see the next Marc Savard as he did the same thing for Oshawa of the OHL and people had the same criticisms at the time.

is locke playing in hamilton next year for sure? his numbers in the OHL are amazing :jump:


they remind me of stephane lebeau though. :(

Traitor8 05-09-2004 09:52 PM

Yep Plekanec is more ready..that's why in my lineup, I have higgins playing in Hamilton with Kostsitsyn and Locke.

If Bob G. signs him this summer, he will play in AHL..if not, he will play in the juniors again..

Beakermania* 05-09-2004 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider917
they remind me of stephane lebeau though. :(

Lebeau played in a much more offensive league then Locke did. Ten years ago the CHL leading scorer almost always came from the Q, and hardly any goalies had GAA's under 3.50 in that league. It has changed recently but it is still more firewagon than the OHL or WHL.

There is no question that OHL of today where Locke is putting up his numbers is much tighter checking than the QMJHL of Lebeau's time.

That said Lebeau made some significant contributions, and scored a few goals in that stanley cup run. (an 2OT one vs NYI if i remember correctly.) I think all hab fans would be pleased if Locke turned in a similar performance.

montreal 05-09-2004 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komisakick ass
Why the two can't be in the lineup
Next year team will be a really young up front

Kovalev Koivu Zednick
Ryder Ribeiro Perezhogin
Bulis Higgins Ward
Bégin Pleckanek Langdon

That what I think :yo:


I'd fall out of my chair if the Habs actually used 3 rookie forwards full time. While I would love it, I don't see it happening. Take a look at this years rookies, in an article I did the other day. Only 1 rookie with a full time spot. Ryder, with Komo playing just over half a season. The other 3 rookies played a combinded 15 games all season.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Not saying it cant happen cause only Gainey knows what next years team will look like. And I would bet money that Higgins Plekanec and Perezhogin (before all this crap went down) would be on the Habs at some point next year.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.