HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Proposal: If Mentally Healthy, Target Paul Ranger (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=767621)

White Plains Batman 04-22-2010 06:10 PM

If Mentally Healthy, Target Paul Ranger

Let's get the jokes out of the way but I think this guy could be a great cheap pickup if he's mentally ok. I have no idea what his state is right now, but they probably could acquire him for next to nothing.

He had a promising beginning with Torts and then left Mark Pavelich style for personal reasons.

Gardner McKay 04-22-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Plains Batman (Post 25385937)
Let's get the jokes out of the way but I think this guy could be a great cheap pickup if he's mentally ok. I have no idea what his state is right now, but they probably could acquire him for next to nothing.

He had a promising beginning with Torts and then left Mark Pavelich style for personal reasons.

what happened to him that he wouldnt be mentally healthy?

WhipNash27 04-22-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabborik (Post 25385970)
what happened to him that he wouldnt be mentally healthy?

No one knows. He left for personal reasons and never came back.

White Plains Batman 04-22-2010 06:18 PM

Yeah, according to his wiki page he's declined interviews. Sounds like when Pavelich turned into Henry David Thoreau after Ted Sator got on his butt.

He needs a new number if he comes here though, the more I think about it, that's pretty messed up he wore 54.

NYR Viper 04-22-2010 06:18 PM

Speaking in terms of talent he would be a great pickup. Maybe he just decided to not go back to TB, too hot for him. :sarcasm:

hlundqvist30* 04-22-2010 06:22 PM

Because the team hasn't experienced enough projects already...

White Plains Batman 04-22-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 25386233)
Because the team hasn't experienced enough projects already...

I don't think he's a project at all. He was playing very well for Tampa when he left. I know nothing of his state, maybe it's known around the league but isn't being talked about.

If his head's in the game, he's a solid young player with size who can move the puck and is familiar with Torts.

ecemleafs 04-22-2010 06:32 PM

he hasnt talked to coaches or family in like 7 months?

Chief 04-22-2010 06:38 PM

Since nobody else said it...

Finally, a player who we wouldn't have to worry whether he was playing for the name on the back of the jersey instead of the name on the front of the jersey.

Seriously, don't know what happened to him but he was a very good all around defender who could fill in different roles when necessary.

t3hg00se 04-22-2010 06:54 PM

I'd love love love him here.

hlundqvist30* 04-22-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Plains Batman (Post 25386276)
I don't think he's a project at all. He was playing very well for Tampa when he left. I know nothing of his state, maybe it's known around the league but isn't being talked about.

If his head's in the game, he's a solid young player with size who can move the puck and is familiar with Torts.

A guy who basically walked away from hockey mid-season and most likely has all sorts of mental issues. That's a reclamation project if there ever was one.

Jumbo* 04-22-2010 06:55 PM

Dude has been MIA since November and nobody knows whats going on.

Makes no sense to even inquire about him.

nyr2k2 04-22-2010 07:02 PM

No headcases, please. We already have to babysit my boy Avery, no need to add a guy who bails mid season.

NYR94 04-22-2010 07:14 PM

Funny you should make this thread because I was thinking of Ranger the other day when playing NHL 10 and seeing him on Tampa. The latest I've read about him is that he stopped by at the Lightning's arena earlier in the month and was pleasant with members of the organization but revealed nothing about why he's taken such a long leave of absence.

Quote:

The team said he was collecting tax material. But on Wednesday, the Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman, who has been on a leave of absence for personal reasons since Oct. 23, strolled through the hallway outside the locker room after practice, shaking hands and exchanging chit-chat.

There was not much conversation with reporters other than a smile, a greeting and a handshake. Any other questions, he just wasn't going to answer. Polite as always, though. And he looked fit and trim, as if he has been working out.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...eeps-his-guard

n8 04-22-2010 07:41 PM

tax material? did he mess up his taxes? not sure why that would preclude you to keep playing unless the IRS is after him and he is mentally stressed by the ordeal.

nyr2k2 04-22-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8 (Post 25388985)
tax material? did he mess up his taxes? not sure why that would preclude you to keep playing unless the IRS is after him and he is mentally stressed by the ordeal.

I interpreted the quote as meaning he was at the arena to collect tax material.

Fitzy 04-22-2010 07:58 PM

Guy just wanted to get away from it all, I suppose.

John Torturella 04-22-2010 08:55 PM

Can you blame the guy? Years of playing for nut job coaches could make anyone go crazy.

I dont see how you wouldnt inquire about Ranger. The guy is a legit defenseman. If he has it all together take chance on him.

And to those who say no more projects: Wouldnt you rather take a low risk guy that you could just get rid of, rather than throw the checkbook at someone and have it hurt us for 5+ years?

NYR Sting 04-22-2010 08:57 PM

Maybe he couldn't handle playing for a team as poorly coached as Tampa Bay was this year. Isn't that why Pavelich left?

nyr2k2 04-22-2010 08:58 PM

I'd rather do neither.

Fitzy 04-22-2010 08:59 PM

Aww, no one has a sense of humor.

look, has the guy made any indication that he wants to even return to the sport at all?

hlundqvist30* 04-22-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korpicowski (Post 25392701)
Can you blame the guy? Years of playing for nut job coaches could make anyone go crazy.

I dont see how you wouldnt inquire about Ranger. The guy is a legit defenseman. If he has it all together take chance on him.

And to those who say no more projects: Wouldnt you rather take a low risk guy that you could just get rid of, rather than throw the checkbook at someone and have it hurt us for 5+ years?

And yet, somehow the other 20+ players on the roster managed to make it through the season...

And as for which I'd rather, how about we just do neither?

John Torturella 04-22-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 25393187)
And yet, somehow the other 20+ players on the roster managed to make it through the season...

And as for which I'd rather, how about we just do neither?

Yeah, anybody would rather do neither, but have you heard of this guy Glen Sather? Neither is not exactly his MO.

HockeyBurd* 04-22-2010 09:17 PM

It says a lot about an organization when potential signings start with, "If mentally healthy."

HVPOLARBEARS19 04-22-2010 11:13 PM

Man I really liked what I saw from Paul Ranger the last couple of years too, I didn't even know he was on leave...that is pretty weird...seems like a lot of guys have been rumored to be walking away from the game of late...him, Legein for a while, the rumors about Mueller...

He was a very, very solid defender. I would love him on the Rangers if he was fit to play, but until we know why he walked away, it's just impossible to even guess.