HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Does anybody else find ESPN/ABC painful? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=76844)

stanley 05-09-2004 11:50 AM

Does anybody else find ESPN/ABC painful?

Perhaps it was because the Flyers were on the short end of the score, but I found the commentating crew of Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, and John Davidson so annoying that identifying the location of the "MUTE" button is an absolute necessity, sort of like finding the fire exits at a Great White show. Okay, that's probably in bad taste, but I really feel that way about this trio. I think the ABC games are even worse because the network is trying to "sell" new fans on the sport. John Davidson should not be permitted to have the volume on his microphone turned on, and Gary Thorne should be positioned in a listener-activated ejection seat. I just want Bill Clement gone.

The only guy I can stomach is Dave Strader. He's the only one who somewhat sticks to his role and calls the action of the game. The rest of them pick up on a perceived trend (e.g., Tampa Bay's so-called lethargic state, Clement's opinion that the Flyers are indeed faster than the Lightning, etc.) and just pound it into the listeners' heads in a way that would make us all yearn for the Ludivico treatment. I've determined that I haven't noticed it too much so far this post-season because the Flyers have had the lead in their games for such a long period of time, but I'm sure fans of the opposition can attest to the same thing. For example, my thumb also found the MUTE button during the Leafs' comback in the third period of Game 6.

The only hope for any fan is a tie game. Nails on a chalkboard, these guys are. I envy all of you with Comcast - at least they're stroking the beast.

cycle_it 05-09-2004 12:06 PM

way to hit it on the skrews

Rex88 05-09-2004 02:21 PM

Yes, they pick whichever team is carrying the play and then gush about it. At times even contradicting what they have said early in games.

The only caveat is if they really like a player, then he gets accolades the whole game eg. JR or St. Louis.

It is tedious to listen to them.

CatWrt 05-09-2004 03:30 PM

I agree, however I'll take any of the ESPN/ABC guys over Coates and Dornhoefer. They are downright embarrassing.

ObeySteve 05-09-2004 03:38 PM

Eh....the ESPN/ABC crew can be annoying, but at least they don't give an extremely slanted view about every single penalty call, unlike the homer announcers on CSN.

easton122 05-09-2004 05:19 PM

Hey they aren't that bad. Does it hurt to hear good things about your team or should they bash the Flyers?

Anyway next ABC/ESPN game I might try listening to 610 like I used to a few years ago.

FlyersHomer DM03 05-09-2004 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton122
Hey they aren't that bad. Does it hurt to hear good things about your team or should they bash the Flyers

flyers or not, gary thorne always takes favorites.

out of our home announcers, i think theyre great, but coates is way too spontaneous and out of control to do game coverage, maybe give him a spot on post game live and keep coatsey's corner, but he says some really stupid things.

Hoek 05-09-2004 09:50 PM

It was bad from the winning side too. Probably worse, since they always suck up to the established team in spite of what's actually happening. Their coverage of the Montreal series was especially atrocious and biased towards hoping the Habs would pull off the comeback. But whatever, it's just a given at this point. Levy, JD, and Buccigross are probably the only guys I can consistently stand to hear out of all the ESPN/ABC guys..

MiamiScreamingEagles 05-09-2004 10:09 PM

I thought today's Flames-Sharks game was maybe THE worst broadcast game I have ever heard. Levy is atrocious IMO and Pang overstates his points. There were a few scoring chances that were called after the fact rather than being set up as the play was happening.

I think Strader is a no nonsense type broadcaster, does his job and might be the best of the ESPN/ABC bunch. In the first round, with the added coverage, some of the current team broadcasters like JP Dellacamera (sp.) were preferable. In a perfect world, a national audience could get to hear guys like Pat Foley in Chicago do these games.

Synthetic 05-10-2004 12:21 AM

Not only that....the cameramen shoots to other stuff when the game is in play. Philly had a power play and the camera went to about 3 seconds of Tortorella's face and then back to the game, a goal could've been scored then.

ESPN is better, since the majority are on there and I'm used to the way they broadcast the games, but ABC needs to give up their Saturday game rights and let ESPN do it.

MiamiScreamingEagles 05-10-2004 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gesthar
Not only that....the cameramen shoots to other stuff when the game is in play. Philly had a power play and the camera went to about 3 seconds of Tortorella's face and then back to the game, a goal could've been scored then.

ESPN is better, since the majority are on there and I'm used to the way they broadcast the games, but ABC needs to give up their Saturday game rights and let ESPN do it.

Also, too, the interviews in the stands during play. The owner of Tampa Bay, William Davidson was being interviewed, I actually felt bad for the guy. He seemed to have difficulty speaking with the noisy crowd.

Stonehands77 05-10-2004 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gesthar

Someone else noticed this!!! WTF are they doing, showing us Kim Johnsson's face for 10 seconds AFTER he passed the puck? Do I care about this? No, I want to see the play, morons. SHOW THE FREAKING PUCK! :mad:

All in all, I'd have to agree. The ABC feed on Saturday was just awful. Unfortunately, I had no other choice, as it was not carried on Center Ice (which seems to be done?). Here's hoping coverage is improved for tonight's game, along with the Flyers' play. PASS THE DAMNED PUCK, PRIMEAU!!! :banghead:

The Seeker 25 05-10-2004 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
I thought today's Flames-Sharks game was maybe THE worst broadcast game I have ever heard. Levy is atrocious IMO and Pang overstates his points. There were a few scoring chances that were called after the fact rather than being set up as the play was happening.

And how about the "OOOOOOOHHH!!!!" from Pang everytime the goaltender has to make a save...........painful indeed. :shakehead

Cuiff 05-10-2004 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatWrt
I agree, however I'll take any of the ESPN/ABC guys over Coates and Dornhoefer. They are downright embarrassing.

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Markov 05-10-2004 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Seeker 25
And how about the "OOOOOOOHHH!!!!" from Pang everytime the goaltender has to make a save...........painful indeed. :shakehead

You forgot Darren Pang's "Holy Jumpin" he throws in there too. :banghead:

MiamiScreamingEagles 05-10-2004 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Seeker 25

I didn't want to ramble. :)

Synthetic 05-10-2004 05:29 PM

Things could be worse, folks.

Imagine if Chris Berman had to call one of the games.

HockeyGuy1011 05-10-2004 09:56 PM

best announcers in the league (i dont know the names) but from watching nhl center ice i see the best annoucners as the guy from vancouver (ironically is the voice of the ea sports video games), i do like gary thorne (he also does baseball), and the guy from buffalo.......HEEEE SCOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRREEEEEESSSSSSS

Til the End of Time 05-10-2004 10:03 PM

I enjoy Gary Thorne's comments on Pitkanen. They range from "fine young defensemen" to "fine rookie defensemen."

easton122 05-10-2004 10:19 PM

Gary Thorne is senial

easton122 05-10-2004 10:25 PM

11:07 Philadelphia Donald Brashear: 5 Minutes for Fighting
11:07 Tampa Bay Chris Dingman: 2-Minute Bench Penalty for Instigating
11:07 Tampa Bay Chris Dingman: 5 Minutes for Fighting
11:07 Tampa Bay Chris Dingman: 10 Minutes for Misconduct
11:07 Philadelphia Mark Greig: 2 Minutes for Roughing
16:33 Philadelphia John LeClair: 2 Minutes for Holding
19:05 Philadelphia Donald Brashear: 2 Minutes for Roughing
19:05 Philadelphia Donald Brashear: 10 Minutes for Misconduct

Did you guys see Mark Greig out there during the fight?

ps. Mark Greig is completely out of the organization and played in Germany this season :shakehead

Swedish Bolt Fan 05-11-2004 05:52 AM

I cant stand either of them. Both of them are HATING the lightning with a passion

Clement Clement hands of cement is too much of a homer to be heard on national TV. Thank god there is a MUTE button so you can turn those clowns off

The Seeker 25 05-11-2004 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton122
11:07 Philadelphia Donald Brashear: 5 Minutes for Fighting
11:07 Tampa Bay Chris Dingman: 2-Minute Bench Penalty for Instigating
11:07 Tampa Bay Chris Dingman: 5 Minutes for Fighting
11:07 Tampa Bay Chris Dingman: 10 Minutes for Misconduct
11:07 Philadelphia Mark Greig: 2 Minutes for Roughing
16:33 Philadelphia John LeClair: 2 Minutes for Holding
19:05 Philadelphia Donald Brashear: 2 Minutes for Roughing

Did you guys see Mark Greig out there during the fight?

ps. Mark Greig is completely out of the organization and played in Germany this season :shakehead

And how about when Esche made a beautiful save, Thorne screams "Save Khabibulin!!" Ummmmmm, hello! :shakehead

BrindA17 05-11-2004 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1011
best announcers in the league (i dont know the names) but from watching nhl center ice i see the best annoucners as the guy from vancouver (ironically is the voice of the ea sports video games)

Jim Hughson?

FlyHigh 05-11-2004 07:55 AM

In one of the OT games, when Calgary scored, Thorne screamed "Gelinas!!!!!!!", but it looked like Nilson to me, can anyone confirm or deny this?

I usually get the TV feed and then listen to the 610. Propp is biased for sure, but at least Saunders gives decent play-by-play IMO.