HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: How long would you stay at an extended sporting event? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=768485)

Hockey Team 04-25-2010 01:56 AM

How long would you stay at an extended sporting event?

The 20 inning mets game and the triple OT penguins/senators game got me wondering.. how long would you be willing to stay at a game?

For me, it would depend on a few factors, obviously the first being whether or not I have something I need to go to. If not, then it depends on whether concessions are open or not and what kind of game it was. Obviously if it's game 7 of the stanley cup or game 7 of the world series, I'm not leaving no matter what. If it's a non-clinching playoff game.. if concessions are closed I'd probably leave after a double header. After 6 - 7 hours with no food I think I'd have enough. For a regular season game.. I'd probably leave after 15 innings, obviously this doesn't apply to hockey due to the shootout. If concessions are open I'd probably stay till the end.

FromTheSide 04-25-2010 02:27 AM

As far as MSG goes and how much money they suck out of each and every one of us? I'd stay till the clock hits 0 and the 3 stars are named.Thats the LEAST you can get,especially in a playoff match.

BrianNYR 04-25-2010 02:27 AM

Big difference
One was a playoff game, one was not.
I would stay at a mettie playoff game into whatever inning it went into.
I would also stay at a ranger playoff game no matter what OT it went to.

If i were are the met game last week and it were 0-0 after maybe the 12th(with the way these teams were playing, 12 at this game would make most commit suicide) i probably would have taken a walk.
Its different in hockey because we have a way for teams to dispute a tie within a reasonable amount of time
Its tough to distinguish between a hockey game in OT and a ball game in "OT"/extra innings

Inferno 04-25-2010 02:31 AM

till the game is over. period.

i never leave a sporting event early. Never. NEVER.

Jumbo* 04-25-2010 02:42 AM

If it's a playoff hockey game, until it over.

If its a pointless, baseball game, then when I get tired.

KRM 04-25-2010 06:29 AM

Until the game is over.

WhipNash27 04-25-2010 11:36 AM

You stay til the game ends. Playoffs are playoffs.

broadwayblue 04-25-2010 11:39 AM

Playoffs until the game ends. Regular season is a different story.

John Torturella 04-25-2010 11:41 AM

i would stay at a Yankees or Rangers game till the end.

nyrmetros 04-25-2010 02:18 PM

I stay until the game is over. And then I stay another 15 minutes or until I get kicked out by the suckurity.

Wraparounds 04-25-2010 03:06 PM

I have never and will never leave a sporting event early.

Giacomin 04-25-2010 07:45 PM

1999 Mets vs Braves afternoon playoff game. I remember it was a very warm game for October so I went with just a light sweatshirt. It stated raining steadily and got a lot colder in the 10th inning. Robin Ventura ended it in the 15th after over 5 hours. I would have stayed another 5 hours.

RangerFan10 04-25-2010 08:27 PM

I'm young, but I'd stay the entire time. I rarely leave a game early, even if it's a blowout

Hockey Team 04-25-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Fan in PGH (Post 25446870)
I have never and will never leave a sporting event early.

A lot of people are saying that.. but if it's a regular season game and you haven't eaten for 5 hours and concessions are closed, you might change your mind

nyrmetros 04-25-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2d (Post 25451698)
A lot of people are saying that.. but if it's a regular season game and you haven't eaten for 5 hours and concessions are closed, you might change your mind

Been there done that. Sucked it up and stayed.

HVPOLARBEARS19 04-25-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris6net (Post 25450898)
1999 Mets vs Braves afternoon playoff game. I remember it was a very warm game for October so I went with just a light sweatshirt. It stated raining steadily and got a lot colder in the 10th inning. Robin Ventura ended it in the 15th after over 5 hours. I would have stayed another 5 hours.

You were at that game? Damn that's awesome, I remember watching that as a 12 year old and going completely nuts.

Anyway, I doubt I'd leave a game early if it was a team I rooted for (Rangers, Mets, Giants), and definitely no way in hell I would if it were a playoff game. I remember my dad telling me a story about how when he was a kid he and some friends went to a Mets game when Willie Mays hit into a triple play, and the game ended up going 24 innings...it was the 2nd game of a double-header too, and he had school the next day (he was probably like 12 years old or so), and he had to leave in like the 19th inning...I would have been very conflicted in that spot for sure, I feel like once you've committed to go to a game, you at least want to see how it ends, and the longer it goes, the better the chance that it will be a memorable game, or something dramatic/amazing can happen.

GarretJoseph* 04-25-2010 11:58 PM

I stayed at a Mets game about 4 years ago that went to about 18-19 innings. I had decided to leave after that inning (before they won it) because I had my little sister with me and she had school the next day.

mrhockey193195 04-26-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianNYR (Post 25441303)
Big difference
One was a playoff game, one was not.
I would stay at a mettie playoff game into whatever inning it went into.
I would also stay at a ranger playoff game no matter what OT it went to.

If i were are the met game last week and it were 0-0 after maybe the 12th(with the way these teams were playing, 12 at this game would make most commit suicide) i probably would have taken a walk.
Its different in hockey because we have a way for teams to dispute a tie within a reasonable amount of time
Its tough to distinguish between a hockey game in OT and a ball game in "OT"/extra innings

Word for word, exactly my opinion.

bobbop 04-26-2010 12:24 AM

Depends on when beer sales are cut off.

GregNYR19 04-26-2010 12:55 AM

id stay the entire time regardless of the weather, work situation, public transportation schedule

DontStepanMe 04-26-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris6net (Post 25450898)

i was at that game also... i remember being exhausted by the end of it though. That was a long long game. But what a memory. I actually didn't realize that he never made it around the bases until I was in the car ride home listening to the radio and they announced the score.

savebyrichter35 04-26-2010 09:46 AM

I stayed for the entire duration of the rain delay last night at citi field for some stupid reason. I was convinced that the remaining fans would recieve something free, and when they finally decided to announce the game had ended they said all fans with a ticket stub to the game can recieve tickets to a game in June...so I guess I got something free, but I also would've gotten the free tickets had I left.

To answer the question, it really depends. Obviously for a playoff game I'd never leave early. If it's a regular season game I very very rarely will leave early. The 2nd half of the baseball season last year I found myself leaving a few Mets games early, but.....yea. That's really about it.

Kane One 04-27-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 25441324)
till the game is over. period.

i never leave a sporting event early. Never. NEVER.

Exactly.
The longest game I've ever been at was some 18 inning Brooklyn Cyclones game.

Melrose_Jr. 04-27-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragshockey88 (Post 25457141)
public transportation schedule

Big factor. I've never had to leave a hockey game early, but I have had to bail out of a handful of concerts in my day to grab the last train back to Westchester. BUT, if we're talking playoff game, I'm probably sleeping at GCT.

Been to DOZENS of races where I stood around in the rain for hours until the event was over. After the 6th or 7th beer, you just stop caring about being wet. Helps that, unlike baseball, the action continues regardless of the weather though.

Fletch 04-27-2010 10:55 AM

bobop's got the right idea - not sure at what point I decide to go to the local bar as opposed to watching a game late into the evening with no beer sales. In the regular season, for hockey, I stay until the final buzzer. I baseball, in the regular season, I probably won't even make it to the 9th. In football, in the regular season, I'll leave before the traffic to make sure I catch the later games. In the playoffs, I'd likely stay until the end.