HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   TSN: Laraque: " Gionta is definitely the leader of this team " (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=769011)

McSorleyStick 04-26-2010 05:28 PM

Laraque: " Gionta is definitely the leader of this team "

I have no link, I just heard it on OTR - BGL was outside the Bell Center with Landsberg

Myron Gaines* 04-26-2010 05:31 PM

Yeah, I think you can really feel he is, specially after his injury. You can just see the leadership and the repsect the guys have for him. The way he handles himself...reminds me a lot of Saku.

Maxpac 04-26-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar (Post 25468336)
Yeah, I think you can really feel he is, specially after his injury. You can just see the leadership and the repsect the guys have for him. The way he handles himself...reminds me a lot of Saku.

Except he's a winner and doesn't slow down halfway in the middle of the season.

McSorleyStick 04-26-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Yep

Landsberg asked him what kind of leader Gio is, and BGL said that heads more by his actions than by speaking up

Myron Gaines* 04-26-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 25468360)
Except he's a winner and doesn't slow down halfway in the middle of the season.

You got a point there

JGRB 04-26-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Pas de francais? Gionta :shakehead

YMCMBeaulieu 04-26-2010 05:39 PM

Classy interview by Georges, I know he's still getting paid by the Habs but he's definitely one of the nicest guys in the league off the ice (and also on the ice too I guess :sarcasm:)

overlords 04-26-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar (Post 25468469)
You got a point there

Yeah, hate on saku for having been slowed down by countless injuries, really ****** wingers and cancer. Classy.

Also, that's originally coming from a guy with a paccioretty username, i'm no fanboy, but saku played with heart his entire career, we haven't seen any heart from patches yet.

uiCk 04-26-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs (Post 25468392)

pretty much sums up 09/10 season up until tonight:laugh:

gio is best! hes definatly the 'leader' in the team!

Maxpac 04-26-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 25468512)
Yeah, hate on saku for having been slowed down by countless injuries, really ****** wingers and cancer. Classy.

Also, that's originally coming from a guy with a paccioretty avatar, i'm no fanboy, but saku played with heart his entire career, we haven't seen any heart from patches yet.

Did i talk about his cancer? Don't put words in my mouth....

Not to mention your Paccioretty comment is dumb and pretty pointless.

Myron Gaines* 04-26-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Also, that's originally coming from a guy with a paccioretty username, i'm no fanboy, but saku played with heart his entire career, we haven't seen any heart from patches yet.

Well it was a bit harsh from him, but Saku always started on fire, slowed down and came back for the playoffs.

It is true that he was slowed down by injuries, but hey...that's life. And his battle against cancer is inspirational, but doesn't translate to anything on the ice. It wasn't all bad for him...he got to play with some good players. Not always bad ones.

Anyways, I'm just glad we have someone like Gionta to carry the torch:)

overlords 04-26-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 25468560)

You didn't have to mention cancer, it's a reality when it comes to talking about saku koivu's career, just like it is reality when talking about lemieux or even lance armstrong.

And disregarding a comment by just saying ' it's dumb' is pretty grade school. It was a relevant comment because you questioned a pretty good player's heart, despite having one of the least motivated looking players in your avy/username. And that's including AHL, i'm not just picking apart his nhl game.

overlords 04-26-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar (Post 25468618)
Well it was a bit harsh from him, but Saku always started on fire, slowed down and came back for the playoffs.

It is true that he was slowed down by injuries, but hey...that's life. And his battle against cancer is inspirational, but doesn't translate to anything on the ice. It wasn't all bad for him...he got to play with some good players. Not always bad ones.

If you ever speak to someone who has recovered from cancer, ask them if their bodies ever felt as healthy afterwards, it takes a pretty significant toll.

I'm really glad we have gionta too, and i'll agree with whoever said that they see something saku-ish about him. I remember when we were playing boston in the playoffs last year and saku was the only guy going into the corners trying to hit chara. That's exactly the kind of guy gionta is. I've been pulling for him getting the captaincy for a while now.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse 04-26-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 25468560)

As was your comment on Koivu.

Good to hear about Gionta, who'd have thought he would be a candidate for captain when we signed him?

overlords 04-26-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse (Post 25468716)

Good to hear about Gionta, who'd have thought he would be a candidate for captain when we signed him?

I talked to some jersey fans and they said they always felt he was captain material. They really love him down there.

shutehinside 04-26-2010 05:58 PM

i think it's obvious to most people who closely watch this team. Didn't he also sit in the captains spot in the team photo this year. Also, just look how all the players race to his aid in the scrums, especially Gomez.

Gio is the captain of this team in spirit, Markov in tenure and skill.

bipolarhabfan 04-26-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Koivu was a beast for us and one of the fastest skaters in the NHL before a hit by Jim Cummins slowed him down for the remainder of his career. He was even co-leading the league in scoring that season with 56 points.

As for Gio, he should get the C. He brings it almost every night and, despite being so undersized, is not afraid to take/give a hit and go into the slot. If only some of our bigger players over the years played like Gio!

Maxpac 04-26-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse (Post 25468716)

My comment was that Gionta is no Koivu, that's it.

overlords 04-26-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan (Post 25469040)
Koivu was a beast for us and one of the fastest skaters in the NHL before a hit by Jim Cummins slowed him down for the remainder of his career. He was even co-leading the league in scoring that season with 56 points.

As for Gio, he should get the C. He brings it almost every night and, despite being so undersized, is not afraid to take/give a hit and go into the slot. If only some of our bigger players over the years played like Gio!

Yeah, if gio were 6'3, he'd be one of the best players in the league, no doubt.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse 04-26-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 25468785)
I talked to some jersey fans and they said they always felt he was captain material. They really love him down there.

Good to hear, he definately plays with a ton of heart and determination, reminds me of the last guy to wear the C for the habs :nod:

99GoHabsGo99 04-26-2010 06:56 PM

Hope He Gets The C

WestIslander 04-26-2010 06:58 PM

Gionta will be named the captain of this team by the NHL entry draft I think!

I can see Cammalleri and Markov as the the assistant captains.

CrAzYNiNe 04-26-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 25469044)
My comment was that Gionta is no Koivu, that's it.

dont worry max, some of us understood a comment about leadership and talking about our last leader.
I still love Koivu, but hes done in Montreal, I can now move beyond, obviously some cant

Good for Gionta being the backbone of this team, now 2 more periods boys, dont let me down

Fish on The Sand 04-26-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar (Post 25468618)

His best career line mate was Martin Rucinsky, and even then they weren't regular linemates. His top 2 regular linemates for his career were Higgins and Ryder. Save the he played with good players comments. He played with nobodies.

coolasprICE 04-26-2010 07:49 PM

Gionta and Koivu would of been an interesting duo