HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Stupid idea - Powerplay incentive? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=769366)

quartermaster29 04-27-2010 10:52 AM

Stupid idea - Powerplay incentive?

Like the title says: this is (probably) a stupid idea. I am just warning you now.

At offices across the nation people are participating in "Biggest Loser" contests. You pay $5 and weigh in on Monday. A month (or 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever) later you weigh in again and the one who lost the most wins the money.

Can we do something like that with these players? For every Powerplay the players vow to pitch in some money. Obviously I am talking about more than $5. Even the least paid player makes more money than I will most likely see ever. But basically the person who gets a PPG wins the money. And there needs to be more rules than just "everyone pitch in". For example if you play on a PP in a game, you put money into the pot. Then the person who gets a power play goal wins the stash.

Would this help at all or just be a distraction? We need something on the PP and, from an incentive POV, aside from working that into a contract (which it may very well be for some) this is one way to get them to react.

LakeshoreWest 04-27-2010 10:54 AM

Bad idea because this encourages individual efforts rather than a team effort at scoring.

AEM6729 04-27-2010 10:58 AM

The thing is I don't think the problem is a lack of incentive to score. Of course they all want to score on the PP; incentive is not the problem. The strategy and/or the inability to execute the strategy is the problem. And the only way to fix that is to get a new strategy, and some new players.

Preds Partisan 04-27-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMonster (Post 25487589)
Bad idea because this encourages individual efforts rather than a team effort at scoring.

Apparently you've never seen a Preds power play? We have neither team nor individual efforts on the PP as it is.

quartermaster29 04-27-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preds Partisan (Post 25487676)
Apparently you've never seen a Preds power play? We have neither team nor individual efforts on the PP as it is.

I was going to comment something similar to that. We need SOMETHING. Even an individual effort. If the guys have a friendly wager going, it could spark action. An effort to execute the system. More looking to shoot instead of the cutsie pass. And I know that sounds like I'm one of the "SHOOOT!!" people yelling it as soon as they enter the zone. I'm not... but sometimes I am. They don't look to shoot. They look for the extra cute pass. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. It's all I'm saying.

quartermaster29 04-27-2010 11:34 AM

And I think I see what TheMonster is saying. We don't want a player playing a puck hog and NOT making the pass that is there that could lead to the shot... but my point is the shot is not happening. Look at the 5 on 3 in game 4 (or was it game 2?). They just passed it back and forth with 3 guys near the front. Don't they run this drill in the warm-ups? Throw the puck on net and smack at the rebound. But they just kept looking for the opening with pass after pass after pass after pass.

I see what you mean that it can have a negative effect of the player wanting to run everthing and taking bad shots. I'm just saying we need something. And a friendly wager among friends can have a tremendous effect.

BigFatCat999 04-27-2010 03:41 PM

There is an unofficial system called "Putting on the board" where players put a dollar amount and their initials after the dollar amount. Then they write down a goal. "GWG" "SHUTOUT" things like that. The Front office can't do it because it would be salary cap evasion.

oreilly22 04-27-2010 03:57 PM

Well if you believe in the Barry Trotz mantra of the power play, he would tell you that it's not so much of the system, but the pieces in the system. He has said time and time again that you can't teach offense, and that only more skilled players will help the power play. Now if you also believe that the Preds can never be able to afford a player good enough to actually help the power play, then this is the same result we will always get. Unless we get away from the whole quantity over quality thing.

Most teams have at least one legit offensive star that if they're doing badly, then the team is doing badly. You look at the Stanley Cup winners over the past few years, and where is the team that didn't have a solid offensive core? Pretty much all Pittsburgh has is offense! You can't get by with just defense like we appear to be trying to do. In order to win you need to put more pucks in the net than the other guys, control the puck more than the other guys. Sooner or later the special players are going to make special plays, and it doesn't matter how good your defense is, even your highly touted defense will let the other teams best players skate right by them directly off to the side of the net! :facepalm:

In short to win we will need at least one offensive star that can create plays out of nothing to help our power play if we want to win in the playoffs.