HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers' Top 20 Prospects POLL (#8) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=77045)

bmoak 05-10-2004 02:01 PM

Rangers' Top 20 Prospects POLL (#8)

POLL IS CLOSED! PLEASE MOVE ON TO POLL FOR PROSPECT #9!

Well, that was a fast 60 votes for #7. The polls still open, but we have an effective winner, with Mad Max Kondratiev more than doubling his nearest competitor. We haven't had a close one since the 3-way race for the #2 spot.

As of now, Rangers' prospects stand as follows:

1) Fedor Tjutin
2) Henrik Lundqvist
3) Josef Balej
4) Hugh Jessiman
5) Thomas Pock
6) Petr Prucha
7) Maxim Kondratiev

Who is the Rangers' #8 Prospect?

Have to say I'm surpised at the low turnout for Umberger (although I haven't voted for him myself).

I'll be adding more names after round 10. Right now, I'm looking at going with Giroux, Helminen, Liffiton, Walsh, and Wiseman

bmoak 05-10-2004 02:08 PM

Walsh? Where's my brain? I meant Jake Taylor.

Larry Melnyk 05-10-2004 02:17 PM

Personally, I don't even consider Umberger because of his unsigned status...

Good idea to be adding more players at #10..Might also consider expanding the candidate list to include about 15 players---write-ins rarely win---because these players will be so close....Guys like Guenin, Marek, Moore, Potter and Reese might be just as valid as the others...

And I know he's the #3 goalie on the prospect totem pole, but what about JASON LABARBERRA after his fantastic AHL season? Or is he too old?

Oh yeah, my vote for #8 is JARKO!!

bmoak 05-10-2004 02:50 PM

I don't want to expand the number of prospects on the beyond 10, since it will dilute the vote and slow down the polls. I'll add in new names more often once we get into the double digit prospects.

LaBarbera squeaks in under the age requirement, but he's played too many minor pro seasons as per HF rules. Same thing with Jan Marek.

There are 2 Ks in JarKKo. At least spell his name right if you're going to vote for him. ;)

Shadowtron 05-10-2004 02:59 PM

I voted for Dawes.

Also, I'd consider taking RJ off the list. He's the 46th (is that right???) selection in this year's draft as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't put him on unless the Rangers somehow manage to get him under a contract.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 05-10-2004 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I voted for Dawes.

Also, I'd consider taking RJ off the list. He's the 46th (is that right???) selection in this year's draft as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't put him on unless the Rangers somehow manage to get him under a contract.

I agree. With both statements.

True Blue 05-10-2004 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Personally, I don't even consider Umberger because of his unsigned status...

Agreed. Umberber is not joining the Rangers, so then there is really no point in pontificating about where to place him within our prospect pool.
The next 2 have got to be Liffiton & Baranka. Have to be ahead of Immonen since it does not even sound like there have been much effort to bring him over. I am shocked that Prucha has climbed so high. To me this is a clear example of rumors about a certain play carrying him high. No way should he have been listed ahead of any of Kondratiev, Liffiton, or Baranka. But that's another story.
I feel that Kondretiev, Liffiton, & Baranka are all too close to seperate. One is no better prospect than the next. If 'Drats went, then Liffiton & Baranka should follow.

Please add Liffiton to the selections.

Davisian 05-10-2004 03:14 PM

Party On Garth..

Rangers_23 05-10-2004 03:15 PM

Ivan the Terrible gets my vote. Just edging out Immonen in my mind.

Larry Melnyk 05-10-2004 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
Agreed. Umberber is not joining the Rangers, so then there is really no point in pontificating about where to place him within our prospect pool.
The next 2 have got to be Liffiton & Baranka. Have to be ahead of Immonen since it does not even sound like there have been much effort to bring him over. I am shocked that Prucha has climbed so high. To me this is a clear example of rumors about a certain play carrying him high. No way should he have been listed ahead of any of Kondratiev, Liffiton, or Baranka. But that's another story.
I feel that Kondretiev, Liffiton, & Baranka are all too close to seperate. One is no better prospect than the next. If 'Drats went, then Liffiton & Baranka should follow.

Just curious, why do Lifiton and Baranke have to be ahead of Immonen? Nothing wrong with developing in the Fin league compared to Juniors/AHL...And again, closeness to the NHL is only part of the equation...I like what I hear about Lifiton and Baranka, just like what the scouts and viewers of Immonen say more...Hell, all three may be booms or busts....

As for Prucha, they didn't really seem to be rumores..He made the World team for Czech..I think one of only two youngsters that made it....He got alot of playing time and, I think, was on the #1 PP for quite awhile...Kinda impressive...

ECL 05-10-2004 03:22 PM

Immonen. Easily. He's really impressed me in the last few days since I've read more and more about him and watched some clips.

Fletch 05-10-2004 03:23 PM

I was about to ask the same thing, Larry....

no matter what the efforts are to bring over a guy, the poll is based on a player's future in the NHL, which may start next season, the season after, etc., not necessarily right away.

I did vote for Baranka though. Not sure he has the upside of a couple other guys that are listed (like a Dawes or maybe even a Jarkko), but I think he may be a safer, yet solid pick.

ECL 05-10-2004 03:24 PM

By the way. We need to add a feature where we vote on who gets added in next. I say we place our votes. Then in our reply we put in who we want added in next.

I say:

Liffiton next.

kazo 05-10-2004 03:53 PM

I'd like to know how Thomas Pock could be rated ahead of Garth Murray.

Davisian 05-10-2004 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazo
I'd like to know how Thomas Pock could be rated ahead of Garth Murray.

Speed and skill is what did it for me..

True Blue 05-10-2004 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
I did vote for Baranka though. Not sure he has the upside of a couple other guys that are listed (like a Dawes or maybe even a Jarkko), but I think he may be a safer, yet solid pick.

I think that Baranka's upside is not much lower than Tyutin's. From the moment he was drafter, a lot or scouting reports that I've read seem to have Ivan's game as very similar to Tyutin's, just more physical. Actually that's not accurate. It's not that he is more physical, it's that he seems to seek out the physical play, whereas Tyutin just seems to let it come to him, if it must.
Even the Fins who come on this board list Immonen as a possible 2nd line player, but more than likely a 3rd line center. Baranka projects as a 2nd l pair d-man. Liffiton projects out as a 3rd pair d-man. If anything, Jarkko could be compared to him in terms of ceiling.

Fletch 05-10-2004 04:33 PM

Comparing Pock and Murray is interesting...

Pock seems like he can play in the NHL, just right now, I'm not sure if he's going to be top 6 material. Murray seems like he can play in the NHL too, but right now his production dictates something along the lines of a fourth liner, maybe third (although he seems to be more skilled than I personally thought and as he gains experience, perhaps he'll start burying chances). But in Murray you have a potential captain, a physical presence and a guy who's going to stick up for teammates. I think I'd actually rank him hire than Pock, but I probably wouldn't rank him in the top 10.

Kubera55 05-10-2004 05:07 PM

Baranka, again, for like four picks now. I'm really surprised Baranka didn't finish ahead of Pock and Kondraitev. He's younger than either, bigger and tougher than either, and has a better draft pedigree than either. Frankly, with Tjutin graduating to the NHL level, I pretty much assumed Baranka was the next defenseman. I'd put Pock, Kondraitev, and Liffiton in a second tier with Lampman, Guenin, Taylor, and Potter occupying a third tier . . . but again, democracy rules.

As for Murray . . . I like him. But he's shown next to zero offensive production. Right now he's looking a lot more like the next Dan Lacouture than the next Darren McCarty.

Barnaby 05-10-2004 07:06 PM

Jarkko Immonen - hands down IMO.

Had he been taken a couple of picks ago it would have been logical.

bmoak 05-10-2004 07:21 PM

This is the closest one we've had in a while, so I'll keep it going and not post the new one until late tonight.

I'm going to pull Umberger. If people aren't voting for him because they don't see him as Rangers property, it will skew the poll and his position on it. Next round, I pull him and replace him with David Liffiton.

majicpixie 05-10-2004 08:56 PM

I voted for Moore. I was going to mention adding Chad to the list, but I didn't because he's a free agent on July 1 and may/may not be with the Rangers next year (I'd be surprised if Sather offered him a contract). Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember seeing Ortmeyer on these polls yet. I think he should be, and LaBarbera, as well.

bmoak 05-10-2004 09:04 PM

Ortmeyer just finished his rookie season in the NHL and can't be consdiered a prospect.
LaBarbera has completed 4 ECHL/AHL seasons and can't be considered a prospect
Marek has played more than 225 games in the Czech ExtraLiga and can't be consdiered a prospect.

bmoak 05-10-2004 10:20 PM

Aargh! It's too close to declare a winner and move on to the next round!

Barnaby 05-10-2004 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue

1. Why must the next two be Liffiton, and Baranka? Immonen has been lighting up the Finnish league - just ask Padawan how he looks. Immonen is a blackhorse. He could easily be a 2nd line center from everything I've heard. As for bringing him over - what makes you say the Rangers haven't talked to him yet? All I've seen is one interview about a month ago that said he hadn't had that much contact with the Rangers. They didn't go out of there way to get this guy so he could rot in Finland.

2. I don't see Prucha being a rumor. The guy has been playing very well on a Czech team against seasoned NHL caliber talent. If you want to talk about rumors pushing a player, then how about Baranka? A month ago he was a solid defensive prospect. We read a good interview from him, and a positive article or two, and all of a sudden he's Tyutin 2. I don't see how he doesn't rank below Kondratiev. Kondratiev has proven he is fairly ready to play in the NHL. Baranka may be just as good or better one day, but he has one solid year under his belt. He hasn't had the time to prove himself. If I'm not mistaken he was a 2nd pairing defenseman on a mediocre team. Let's see him show steady improvement for a year or two before we jump to conclusions. I'm not saying Kondratiev is better because he is NHL ready - just that Baranka hasn't solidified himself yet.

True Blue 05-11-2004 09:25 AM

"just ask Padawan how he looks. Immonen is a blackhorse. He could easily be a 2nd line center from everything I've heard."

You mean the sake Padawan who said that Jarkko could just as easily be a 3rd line player?

"If you want to talk about rumors pushing a player, then how about Baranka? A month ago he was a solid defensive prospect. We read a good interview from him, and a positive article or two, and all of a sudden he's Tyutin 2. "

Actually, ever since he was drafted, I've liked him. I have also seen a lot of scouting reports that make his game very similar to Tyutin's, except that he is more physical. Nothing to do with any interview. I just see him as a better prospect than Immonen.