HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Speculation: Confirmed: Belak extended (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=770522)

jstreet 04-29-2010 02:55 PM

Confirmed: Belak extended

twitter.com/predsradio has announced that GM David Poile has extended Wade Belak for a year.

barrytrotzsneck 04-29-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstreet (Post 25538798)
twitter.com/predsradio has announced that GM David Poile has extended Wade Belak for a year.

:shakehead:help:

belle 04-29-2010 02:59 PM

The perma scratch position is now filled.

jstreet 04-29-2010 03:07 PM

twitter.com/PredsOnTheGlass: Wade Belak re-signed by the Preds 1yr. 575k

Preds Partisan 04-29-2010 03:15 PM

I was OK with the Belak pick up last year, because I was tired of seeing the Preds getting knocked around mercilessly the previous couple of years. I thought he was decent enough last season, but in retrospect it was because the Preds just weren't very good so he wasn't glaringly bad. This year, it was a waste, especially when he was seriously dragging down any offensive opportunity with whomever he was lined up with. Going forward, I don't like this. On a normal team with a normal financial situation, you can afford a guy like this. For the Preds, that means one less slot for somebody that can actually contribute something besides fists to this team.

Thumbs down.

lstcyr 04-29-2010 03:16 PM

really? doesn't this put us in the position of too many forwards for too few positions? What happens to O'Reilly, Santorelli, Thuresson, Spaling, etc.

jstreet 04-29-2010 03:22 PM

I dont much like it either. It is dirt cheap, but it is also the difference in a 3 mil offensive player and 3.5 mil offensive player. It could make a difference.

predfan24 04-29-2010 04:06 PM

it's tough belak is one of the most likable Predators ever. But honestly this is a waste of money.

BigFatCat999 04-29-2010 04:06 PM

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...eal+with+Preds

Confirmed by TNean.

Well, someone had to fill the doormat forward position....

Joe T Choker 04-29-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 25540249)
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...eal+with+Preds

Confirmed by TNean.

Well, someone had to fill the doormat forward position....

ugh ... awesome

glenngineer 04-29-2010 04:15 PM

While it may seem like a waste to have him on the roster, he brings two things to this club, a heavyweight that can fight during the regular season, which teams need, and he also is a good locker room guy. For a guy who was a permascratch, he always had a smile on his face and kept things loose. He's a jokester and while it seems like a waste of money, keeping the locker room loose and the way it was this year is a good thing. We're gonna lose a few guys from it more than likely but to have a veteran to help with the younger kids who might get scratched is like having an experienced baby sitter. I know he helped O'Reilly late in the season when he was the favored scratch and if it helps Cal or any other youngsters become better hockey players, then I think it's a good move.

lightning_legwand* 04-29-2010 04:16 PM

Belak is a decent player and a great guy, but that could have been half a million towards Hamhuis...

Webersmashpuck 04-29-2010 04:30 PM

Too those who are saying its a waste of money the position of scratch would have to be filled anyways and for someone who has no potential to fill that it is good. He brings toughness when we need it. Essentially its pay Belak or pay a kid who could have benefited from playing with Milwaukee, the money is not there anyways.

Now for me this is a testement to how great of a locker guy Wade is. Ive met him before and there was a smile on his face the entire time I talked to him. Overall a good signing that fills the 13th forward position and gives some team toughness and spirit in the locker room.

worstfaceoffmanever 04-29-2010 06:11 PM

Certainly odd, but Wade is probably the single funniest man in the NHL. Remember the firefighter bit during the Thrashers game?

"That's a long-ass hose!"

Paranoid Android 04-29-2010 06:16 PM

I have no problem with this. We have no tough guys to call up (AFAIK), and every team needs one. Just one less thing to worry about this offseason.

I'm getting a Belak jersey. It will certainly be unique :dunno: :laugh:

JamboPred 04-29-2010 06:44 PM

I thought mabye triston grant could have filled that roll next season he's a tough guy but also puts some points on the board 12G 13A this season

JohniusMaximus 04-29-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 25542305)
Certainly odd, but Wade is probably the single funniest man in the NHL. Remember the firefighter bit during the Thrashers game?

"That's a long-ass hose!"

That's what comes to mind most often when I think about his antics.

barrytrotzsneck 04-29-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck (Post 25540644)
Too those who are saying its a waste of money the position of scratch would have to be filled anyways and for someone who has no potential to fill that it is good. He brings toughness when we need it. Essentially its pay Belak or pay a kid who could have benefited from playing with Milwaukee, the money is not there anyways.

Now for me this is a testement to how great of a locker guy Wade is. Ive met him before and there was a smile on his face the entire time I talked to him. Overall a good signing that fills the 13th forward position and gives some team toughness and spirit in the locker room.

He's a great guy, and I don't doubt all that's said about his lockerroom presence, but he's an absolute waste in all aspects on the ice. He's a liability both offensively and defensively, and for those saying, we "need a heavyweight"...why? Name one instance that Belak, who rarely fights in any situation, needed to "stand up" for a teammate. He's part of a dying breed of "for show" fighters. He'll fight the other team's heavy in a silly, pointless, staged bout, all while taking a spot in the lineup from someone that could at least fill a role.

I'm disappointed by this signing at any price.

barrytrotzsneck 04-29-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predanerd (Post 25542378)
I have no problem with this. We have no tough guys to call up (AFAIK), and every team needs one. Just one less thing to worry about this offseason.

I'm getting a Belak jersey. It will certainly be unique :dunno: :laugh:

Of the teams remaining in the playoffs, name their "tough guy," and I don't mean someone like Travis Moen that can fight when needed, but also kills penalties and can play a shutdown role.

Detroit? Nope.
Chicago? Nope.
San Jose? Nope.
Vancouver? Hordichuk, maybe...but he's scratched more often than not and isn't a terrible hockey player, when he does play.

Montreal? Nope
Pittsburgh? Eric Godard. So far that's one.
Philly? Nope.
Boston? Shawn Thornton, but I believe he also kills penalties.

The notion that "every team needs a tough guy" is pretty outdated. Most of the top teams DON'T have one. We have enough guys that can stick up for a teammate if the situation dictates. If Burrows puts a nasty hit on Dumont, do you think Belak is going to go out and make him pay? Absolutely not.

glenngineer 04-29-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 25544327)
Of the teams remaining in the playoffs, name their "tough guy," and I don't mean someone like Travis Moen that can fight when needed, but also kills penalties and can play a shutdown role.

Detroit? Nope.
Chicago? Nope.
San Jose? Nope.
Vancouver? Hordichuk, maybe...but he's scratched more often than not and isn't a terrible hockey player, when he does play.

Montreal? Nope
Philly? Nope.

The notion that "every team needs a tough guy" is pretty outdated. Most of the top teams DON'T have one. We have enough guys that can stick up for a teammate if the situation dictates. If Burrows puts a nasty hit on Dumont, do you think Belak is going to go out and make him pay? Absolutely not.

You don't have tough guys for the playoffs, you have them for the regular season to protect your guys so they make it to the playoffs healthy. If you don't even have the threat of a guy like Belak on your roster, teams will take liberties. Even with Belak, teams take liberties but they have to decide if they want to answer the bell. St. Louis certainly took liberties with us this year. They had 5 guys with over 100 penalty minutes. You want King and Janssen taking runs at guys like Erat, Dumont and whoever else we've got? You want Weber having to fight big guys and risking injury to his hand or a concussion?

Until guys like Boogard, Ivanans and all the rest of them are not in the league, there will be a need for heavyweights in the regular season. Tootoo can handle most guys in the league but would you really want him going up against Boogard and there was no pun intended in that statement.

predfan98 04-29-2010 08:41 PM

St Louis runs all over us anyway. Belak doesn't make a difference. This is a total waste.:shakehead

JacklegJack 04-29-2010 08:43 PM

barrytrotzsneck is right, the notion that teams need a goon to be successful is absolutely false. There's a difference, like it was pointed out, between players whose sole purpose is to fight/"intimidate" versus players who can do both of those things and, you know, actually play some hockey in between dropping the gloves. If you take Eric Godard off of the Pens, would you see them suddenly losing the Cup? I think most people would say definitely not. Maybe he offers some sort of "protection", but most hockey players are big boys who can handle themselves. If it's a dire situation, someone on the Preds would stick up for a teammate and drop the gloves, but devoting half a million out of an already cash-strapped payroll for someone who only does that is completely ludicrous. Belak offers nothing more besides his physical presence and perhaps a funny personality in the locker room. Maybe his presence in the locker room is worth $500k+ if the team felt it was, but teams certainly do not need a player who does nothing but fight and goon around on the ice in order to be successful. BUT teams certainly need skilled players who can score goals.

I don't like this signing at all, even if he's mostly scratched, he potentially takes away money/roster space that can be devoted to someone who can actually help win games.

Paranoid Android 04-29-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 25544327)

Detroit? Nope.
Chicago? Nope.
San Jose? Nope.

Montreal? Nope
Philly? Nope.

Detroit.... Brad May
Chicago.... Eager
San Jose..... Staubitz and Shelley (they just recently traded him though)
Vancouver.... Hordichuk, Rypien
Montreal.... nope, but they also have guys who can play and fight. we do not.
Philly.... same with Montreal. Carcillo, Asham, Laperriere the list goes on

"We have enough guys" you kidding? We have Tootoo and a bunch of softies. We need a tough guy to balance out all the soft guys. Would it be nice if we could pick up a guy who can fight and play hockey? Of course. But these guys don't grow on trees.

I'm not saying Belak is a great choice here, but it's better than nothing.

glenngineer 04-29-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predanerd (Post 25545419)
Detroit.... Brad May
Chicago.... Eager
San Jose..... Staubitz and Shelley (they just recently traded him though)
Vancouver.... Hordichuk, Rypien
Montreal.... nope, but they also have guys who can play and fight. we do not.
Philly.... same with Montreal. Carcillo, Asham, Laperriere the list goes on

"We have enough guys" you kidding? We have Tootoo and a bunch of softies. We need a tough guy to balance out all the soft guys. Would it be nice if we could pick up a guy who can fight and play hockey? Of course. But these guys don't grow on trees.

Wait a second, did we just agree on something? LOL

JacklegJack 04-29-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predanerd (Post 25545419)
I'm not saying Belak is a great choice here, but it's better than nothing.

I'd go with nothing. It's cheaper, and puts up about the same amount of points.